Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JordanKai posted:

He dips the bullets in the Lazarus Pit which lets them double jump through the armour.

i can't even tell if this is a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Is it just me or is Njghtwing's extended dodge sequence not very controllable? With upgrades you get that AoE slam attack at the end of it but I find directing Nightwing into the right spot for that slam pretty tricky. So far it works best if I have a spot in mind that's mostly in a straight line some distance away from me.

This turns out was just my poor aim. If you're precise with pointing towards a barrel rather than the enemy next to it you'll blow it up every time.

You get the slam when you let go, you don't need to finish it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So this might seem like a minor complaint, but I'm mad that once you get the glide for Batgirl, you then no longer get the short cape for her suits.

I like the short cape look

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

You get the slam when you let go, you don't need to finish it.

Oh drat, really? I thought from the preview clip in the Abilities menu it had to be the whole sequence. Lol ok, that ability just got a thousand times more useful! Thanks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gaz-L posted:

I find it funny that they claim Dick's traversal is a glider when he just straight up flies. You can gain altitude and never lose it.

That was the first thing I learned when I tried it out, yeah. I was expecting to need to use momentum tricks to keep in the air like in the Arkham games, and then no, not only is that necessary, it's almost counterproductive.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've heard comparisons in terms of quality to Arkham Origins. If that's true, I'll probably grab it once the price falls off a cliff.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've heard comparisons in terms of quality to Arkham Origins. If that's true, I'll probably grab it once the price falls off a cliff.

I don’t think it’s wise to compare this to any of the Arkham games. It reminds me more (so far 12 hours in) of AssCreed 1 and 2 with Bat Family Flavor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chaosapiant posted:

I bought the deluxe edition. I hate knowing there’s content out there I don’t have no matter how trivial. So with most new game purchases, I just consider whatever the most inclusive version of the game as “the game.”

Edit: After trying and failing four times in a row to get one of the Batman Data Caches, I checked my control config and realized that YES there is indeed a sprint option. I was so used to it being to just hold "A" from Arkham that i'd been mindlessly still holding "A" and only doing the casual jog everywhere.

Edit Edit: Jesus Christ these Batman log/audio files get super loving depressing. :(

Wait what's the sprint button?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wait what's the sprint button?

I'm using xbox controller on PC, but it's just pressing in the left stick.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Sprint is on L3 on PS5, as well.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Huh. So I wasn’t into this at first since my kid picked Red hood and I was playing him as a strong punchy tank and it turns out if I had actually paid attention that play style is batgirl

Game is pretty solid if you bother to you know actually try to play correctly

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

She doesn't have the same history with Batman that any of the others do but they clearly made her the inheritor of the Batman style. Like if you want something resembling the Arkham games she's the closest. Hard hits, the cape gliding, the disruptor tech, that one Piercing Momentum move that straight-up looks exactly like the multi-Batarang super move from Arkham (and her use of Batarangs in general), the Beatdown Momentum move, and using the grappling hook to pull people closer during a fight just like the Quickfire move in Arkham.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I'm trying to use every character a bit, but Batgirl's far and away my favorite

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like sections with cameras and laser grids where it's clear you should sneak around and with Batgirl you can just walk right through all that poo poo.

I like her playstyle too, but I got so used to Nightwing and constantly having momentum ready since he builds it so fast and gets an extra bar that it was hard to go to anyone else. Plus I found him really good against the late game enemies. He just becomes untouchable.

I did finish the main story and I'm not really a fan of the ending.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The drone upgrade move is hilarious. You swoop down and land in the middle of a group of criminals and they turn to face you confused and shocked in those few seconds where you're beep-boop tapping on a holographic screen and then they get chumped by this explosion that somehow doesn't affect you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I like sections with cameras and laser grids where it's clear you should sneak around and with Batgirl you can just walk right through all that poo poo.

I like her playstyle too, but I got so used to Nightwing and constantly having momentum ready since he builds it so fast and gets an extra bar that it was hard to go to anyone else. Plus I found him really good against the late game enemies. He just becomes untouchable.

I did finish the main story and I'm not really a fan of the ending.

Come on , Batman 9/11ing into the court of owls while saying the real problem is the rich and police owns

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've been using Robin a lot lately, I love his one costume that's literally a hooded jacket with the Robin symbol on it and a t-shirt oh and a mask just cause.

It screams "I don't feel like putting on my suit so this is what you get."

I think it even has normal shoes too.

For Batgirl, I have her white outfit. Haven't touched costumes for Nightwing or Red Hood and I actually haven't used Red Hood at all yet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jason's weird because the character design seems at odds with his playstyle. Like he's this big meathead, but they want you to use the guns so he's supposedly the ranged character, but also he gets damage upgrades per-faction, but that also just means he does 5% more dmg to everyone eventually...

There's a lot of nice touches, honestly. Like if you use the black-and-yellow colorway for Babs, often one of the customisation options is the bat symbol and you can make it black with the yellow outline, just like Bruce's is in the opening. Or the emails both between the characters and the little nods to other DC characters, like how Dick has asked Superman to watch over Bludhaven while he's away, or Dinah and Kara bickering over the former wanting to have the latter fly them everywhere instead of doing a proper roadtrip. (Being a big Nightwing fan, I liked the emails from supporting characters too, even if the one from Svoboda - if anyone doesn't know, she's from the Tim Seeley run, and is basically Harvey Bullock if he was a horny middle-aged single mom - doesn't really make sense as I'm pretty sure she doesn't know Dick is Nightwing)

And the little character specific vignettes are nice, even if some feel way too short. Like, Barbara's whole thing with her perfect memory rubbing against her emotions about her dad, Jason's PTSD over his death and Dick's struggling to live up to Bruce because he feels like he has to be Batman now (which contrasts really nicely with the Bruce audio logs where he admits that he wants to be more like Nightwing)

They do seem to aggresively be avoiding mentioning any Bat-family adjacent characters that aren't the main 4, though. No Stephanie, no Cassie, no Helena, only the barest hint towards Selina, Kate barely gets mentioned despite her dad and step-mom being prominent characters... And while I'm not bothered specifically, I'm not entirely sure why they decided to have Leslie's daughter instead of Leslie herself?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 25, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of the Thompkins character, her missions have been the most frustrating. When I switched characters there's this dumb thing where you get Thompkins missions before you've spoken to her so I raced to her with the time running down on the organs but I failed the mission because I got trapped in the unskippable meet & greet intro dialogue. In-game it's pretty funny to think of Nightwing just standing there letting a heart transplant recipient lose out because gosh darnit he just can't interrupt this nice paramedic to tell her what he's got in the cooler.

And then I failed another one later because the marker for where you're supposed to take the organ looks like the marker for another organ mission.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They have an easy next four if they want to add to the game with Damian, Kate, Stephanie and Cass. With the way the story goes Cass and Damian make sense to add to the sequel, and having so many major characters be Kanes makes Kate an easy choice too.

You could even maybe add Azrael and Huntress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Jason's weird because the character design seems at odds with his playstyle. Like he's this big meathead, but they want you to use the guns so he's supposedly the ranged character, but also he gets damage upgrades per-faction, but that also just means he does 5% more dmg to everyone eventually...

There's a lot of nice touches, honestly. Like if you use the black-and-yellow colorway for Babs, often one of the customisation options is the bat symbol and you can make it black with the yellow outline, just like Bruce's is in the opening. Or the emails both between the characters and the little nods to other DC characters, like how Dick has asked Superman to watch over Bludhaven while he's away, or Dinah and Kara bickering over the former wanting to have the latter fly them everywhere instead of doing a proper roadtrip. (Being a big Nightwing fan, I liked the emails from supporting characters too, even if the one from Svoboda - if anyone doesn't know, she's from the Tim Seeley run, and is basically Harvey Bullock if he was a horny middle-aged single mom - doesn't really make sense as I'm pretty sure she doesn't know Dick is Nightwing)

And the little character specific vignettes are nice, even if some feel way too short. Like, Barbara's whole thing with her perfect memory rubbing against her emotions about her dad, Jason's PTSD over his death and Dick's struggling to live up to Bruce because he feels like he has to be Batman now (which contrasts really nicely with the Bruce audio logs where he admits that he wants to be more like Nightwing)

They do seem to aggresively be avoiding mentioning any Bat-family adjacent characters that aren't the main 4, though. No Stephanie, no Cassie, no Helena, only the barest hint towards Selina, Kate barely gets mentioned despite her dad and step-mom being prominent characters... And while I'm not bothered specifically, I'm not entirely sure why they decided to have Leslie's daughter instead of Leslie herself?

Jason's playstyle is supposed to be a combo of ranged and melee. He has a TON of ranged damage options (and thus is also good at inflicting status effects) and a lot of them are incredibly powerful and safe. However he also follows that up with being able to Grab enemies at a much higher percentage than other people, including being able to grab large enemies.

So the playstyle largely involve Gun-kata to weaken enemies and then grabbing anything that gets close enough and wrecking their face.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So if I’m looking at Babs skill tree correctly….she just straight up becomes immune to cameras and sensors? Walks right thru them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

So if I’m looking at Babs skill tree correctly….she just straight up becomes immune to cameras and sensors? Walks right thru them?

Yep. It's extremely good.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Yeah it's great. Trivializes a lot of side quests.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

chaosapiant posted:

Only thing you still have to be wary of is pressure plates but yeah otherwise she's a ghost.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
drat it. Gotham Knights is the sort of game me and my brother could really get into. Unfortunately I don't have a gaming pc and I'm not buying a ps5 for this.

Does anyone whos played it have any insight on the reason the game had to be exclusive to next gen platforms? Considering how hard it still is to get a ps5 I'd think making the game cross gen would have been a no brained.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nyeehg posted:

drat it. Gotham Knights is the sort of game me and my brother could really get into. Unfortunately I don't have a gaming pc and I'm not buying a ps5 for this.

Does anyone whos played it have any insight on the reason the game had to be exclusive to next gen platforms? Considering how hard it still is to get a ps5 I'd think making the game cross gen would have been a no brained.

Have you checked https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri to see if you can run it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh man, you can get absolutely carried if you do co-op with someone further along than you. I played with a friend last night who was cleaning up the city after he beat the game and trying to unlock a few last things and just by going around the city stopping crimes with him I must have levelled like 6 or 7 times in under 2 hours. You have to be willing to put up with certain spoilers I suppose but having read the Court of Owls stuff earlier in the year and by keeping away from real missions there weren't really any surprises for me.

Keeping your progress is really nice, too. Skipping to the end like that opened up the possibility of unlocking the rest of my moves and so even though I won't encounter certain enemy types until later in my own game for a Kill 10 Jim Gordon Clones challenge (I'm joking), once I do I've already killed 5 once it becomes available.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nyeehg posted:

Essentially they can’t get this game to run higher than 30fps on PS5 so there’s no way it was gonna work at all on last-gen consoles.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Nyeehg posted:

They went all in on ray tracing which makes some areas look much better but for the most part probably should've been skipped because it bumped up the requirements a lot while not really adding very much more than the last Arkham game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

RevKrule posted:

They went all in on ray tracing which makes some areas look much better but for the most part probably should've been skipped because it bumped up the requirements a lot while not really adding very much more than the last Arkham game.

I have an RTX 3070 card and while the RayTracing tanks the framerate, I can't really discern any difference in the visuals. The on-ground reflection already look fantastic. Compare to Cyberpunk 2077 where the RayTracing makes a huge graphical difference, i'm just not seeing it here. I'm also quite sure it could be disabled for PS4, but that alone wouldn't help it run at an acceptable framerate.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nyeehg posted:

The game is pretty clearly designed to be cross-gen, but considering they couldn't get the game to 60fps on a PS5 or Series X, I think they probably just couldn't get the game optimized well enough to actually run at acceptable framerates on previous gen hardware.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I think they saw the absolute hammering CDPR took for Cyberpunk's performance on the old consoles and decided the PR hit and lost sales from cancelling last-gen was better than having the game come out and run like dogshit on them.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
drat this is making me want to buy it. Ps5 folk: do you notice the frame rate issues?

Also I reinstalled Arkham asylum and wow is the combo system in that unforgiven, you can't pause at all without your combo resetting. I'm used to the qol upgrades that have happened in every game to use that style since and it's harder than I remembered.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

drat this is making me want to buy it. Ps5 folk: do you notice the frame rate issues?

Also I reinstalled Arkham asylum and wow is the combo system in that unforgiven, you can't pause at all without your combo resetting. I'm used to the qol upgrades that have happened in every game to use that style since and it's harder than I remembered.

I definitely notice it but it's more in the traversal than combat.

As for Arkham I wouldn't really say it's unforgiving because the system is designed around making each move deliberate and with purpose. Actual unforgiving would be if they took out the Evade or didn't keep your combo going during one.

Like players will razz it for how Batman does these triple jump-esque leaps across an entire room to hit the next guy but that's because the game is keeping you from whiffing punches. If you tell the game to punch that guy, he'll be punched, unlike most brawlers where if you misjudge the spacing your character punches air.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Soonmot posted:

It feels like a relatively stable 30 to me. I haven't encountered any major dips in the performance, but it's definitely weird going back to a 30fps game after playing any of the myriad titles that run at 60 on the system.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Have you checked https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri to see if you can run it?

I did and its not an option for me. Only pc I have is a laptop and it won't run it.

In any event its unlikely to receive a port to last gen so I'll just have to wait a couple years. Ah well. Thanks for all the responses everyone.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Could eventually come to one of the streaming services like Microsofts Gamepass adjacent thing or Geforce Now potentially?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Like players will razz it for how Batman does these triple jump-esque leaps across an entire room to hit the next guy but that's because the game is keeping you from whiffing punches. If you tell the game to punch that guy, he'll be punched, unlike most brawlers where if you misjudge the spacing your character punches air.

No, like I mean, the evade signal pops right as I knock one goon down, but the attacker is still a bit too far for the evade button to lock onto him, and in the second that I wait for him to get in range before hitting the counter, my combo drops. It's fun and I'll get the old muscle memory to come back, but I was playing spider-man and ghost of tsushima recently which are both way more forgiving in combo retention.

King of Solomon posted:

It feels like a relatively stable 30 to me. I haven't encountered any major dips in the performance, but it's definitely weird going back to a 30fps game after playing any of the myriad titles that run at 60 on the system.

Thanks, this is what I needed to know. I couldn't tell you the difference between a 30 fps clip and a 60 fps most likely, but I will notice stuttering and the like. If it's only really in the traversal and especially if Babs is fun to play as I think i'll grab this when it's on sale since God of War drops in two weeks.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Babs is definitely my favorite. Lot of strategic hacking skills to add flavor to a solid brawler.

I’m surprised how much I’ve been enjoying Red Hood. Shooting and grabbing is the name of his game, but he also hits like a truck.

Nightwing I’m still working on, but seems like he’ll be a lot of fun after I upgrade his nest ability, and get better at maneuvering around the battlefield.