Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

It’s not about “diagnosing them” in a pathological sense. Yes, traits that can be seen as negative may be a bit hurtful I suppose, but they’re also real parts of the experience for some people. It’s about seeing ourselves in fiction and finding things to identify with, to make us feel like we can do more than just be parts of those worlds, but also the heroes.

It's less about identifying negative traits and more about once someone disagrees things get pretty bad pretty fast if that conversation isn't quickly dropped tbh

I could see a small-ish group of largely ND people who know each other well having a perfectly good conversation about the particulars of amuro's ND expressions and who his story relates to the most. Strangers on an internet forum I don't predict having that kind of talk for long before someone says something kind of nasty unknowingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh this was a perfectly healthy conversation until people started Factchecking

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That makes no sense to me.

:ok:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

tbh this was a perfectly healthy conversation until people started Factchecking

I am here to obtain true knowledge

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

It's less about identifying negative traits and more about once someone disagrees things get pretty bad pretty fast if that conversation isn't quickly dropped tbh

I could see a small-ish group of largely ND people who know each other well having a perfectly good conversation about the particulars of amuro's ND expressions and who his story relates to the most. Strangers on an internet forum I don't predict having that kind of talk for long before someone says something kind of nasty unknowingly.

Oh, I see what you mean now. I was a bit naive, yeah.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Endorph made really good posts and then people started posting insane

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

Endorph made really good posts and then people started posting insane

I mean that is pretty much the standard.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Gripweed posted:

What's your beef with Re Rise?

late answer but it simply has the misfortune of being the direct sequel to something I strongly disliked, and thus never even gets a chance. I don't hold any opinion on it other than that because I can't, and I don't at all doubt anybody who says it's better than the original - it would be hard not to be! But I'm still out despite the positive reactions because ultimately I already bounced off the concept, it being done better doesn't have any draw to me.

Darth Walrus posted:

And yeah, I'm genuinely not seeing how AGE can be better than IBO. That show just eclipses it on every level.

AGE absolutely dunks on it when it comes to animation and mecha designs, would be one possible place to start

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seemlar posted:

late answer but it simply has the misfortune of being the direct sequel to something I strongly disliked, and thus never even gets a chance. I don't hold any opinion on it other than that because I can't, and I don't at all doubt anybody who says it's better than the original - it would be hard not to be! But I'm still out despite the positive reactions because ultimately I already bounced off the concept, it being done better doesn't have any draw to me.

AGE absolutely dunks on it when it comes to animation and mecha designs, would be one possible place to start

I can see mecha designs as a matter of taste but AGE is extremely low on good animation except for a small handful of scenes. The movie verisons actually have a lot more (including Zehart vs Captain Ash being an actual fight) which stand out better.

Though honestly the movies were basically just an excuse to make the final fight not 2 seconds long.

Edit: Honestly if you haven't seen it, it's worth watching: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2whlwn

If you don't like AGE aesthetics it won't do poo poo for you but it's probably the best fight that particular edge of the franchise put out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 25, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the interpersonal drama of gundam fights usually trumps the choreography, and while that is a good fight, the drama of Asemu and Zeheart is so uninteresting because they both suck so bad. But, again, I stress, that's a great fight!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

I can see mecha designs as a matter of taste but AGE is extremely low on good animation except for a small handful of scenes. The movie verisons actually have a lot more (including Zehart vs Captain Ash being an actual fight) which stand out better.

That person is a pretty consistent Age defender, already on record saying only 2 shows are maybe better than it if at all. G-Reco, Origin, IBO, Thunderbolt, Build Fighters, all of it poo poo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Question in the Hathaway flash novels was the hotel the federation ministers were staying twin towers like in the movie. Did tomino unintentionally tap into the collective unconscious to write a story about 9/11 in 1989

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seemlar posted:

age has some cool grunt designs but the gundams are mostly generic gundam designs imo. i like basically every ibo mech, they're a cool mix of mechanical and bestial.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Tae posted:

That person is a pretty consistent Age defender, already on record saying only 2 shows are maybe better than it if at all. G-Reco, Origin, IBO, Thunderbolt, Build Fighters, all of it poo poo.

I said it was better than the series that came after it except Build Fighters.

To be crystal clear, I'm saying I think G-Reco, IBO, BF-Try and both Build Divers shows suck and it's basically been a decade of malaise for the franchise. I ultimately think long form series are Gundams core, so even when OVAs and movies are still holding up their end for the most, not liking it's series output all that much hasn't been the most fun.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Is the 2017 turn a blu ray good? Anyone watched it?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Tabletops posted:

i think thats the ver im watching rn and its real cool!!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tabletops posted:

I hear it's a solid release (or at least, I haven't heard any major issues) and Turn A is really, really good. Not my recommendation if you want an action heavy Gundam, but if you want a good cast, gorgeous landscapes, and a unique setup, Turn A is a great pick.

It was actually my first Gundam. Not the recommended order, but it worked out pretty well.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
It’s my favorite gundam actually. I just searched on a whim since ie only seen the dvd rips years ago. Was trying to find out what if anything this blu ray adds or changes but couldn’t find anything at all

Thanks!

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

RIP to the real Char:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat, well that's extraordinarily wicked and not all fun.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Seemlar posted:

The concept of Re Rise is extremely different from the concept of Build Divers.

Seemlar posted:

I said it was better than the series that came after it except Build Fighters.

To be crystal clear, I'm saying I think G-Reco, IBO, BF-Try and both Build Divers shows suck

You can't say both Divers shows suck when you admit you haven't seen one of them

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
In the context of Gundam as a franchise, even direct sequels are frequently extremely different products from their predecessors, often having extremely different tones, writing styles, and story goals.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

jackhunter64 posted:

RIP to the real Char:

gently caress that sucks, I was just talking the other day how I'd love to see/hear voice packs in Gundam Evolution from some of the old dub actors too

Would have happily paid a few bucks to have that dude's voice for my Zaku :(

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nodosaur posted:

Maybe I should just stick to the Gunpla and G-Witch threads.
Nah feel free to keep posting, having a different perspective on things is neat.

Kanos posted:

In the context of Gundam as a franchise, even direct sequels are frequently extremely different products from their predecessors, often having extremely different tones, writing styles, and story goals.
Destiny being so married to base SEED (and thus having the eventual return and later takeover of Kira) is half of it's problems.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The real problem with diagnosing Tomino characters is that their pathologies are derived from the Freudian tradition, not the DSMV

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

This seems like a weird complaint to me simply because almost all protagonist in power fantasies, male or female, have to have something special about them. It tends to manifest as exceptional piloting ability for the male leads in Gundam for obvious reasons, but the female leads normally don't pilot, so it has to manifest as something else and some kind of social privilege is usually the simplest way to do that because it allows the character so much freedom in the narrative without having to worry about things like jobs, money, supervision etc.

It is a weird complaint I know because it begs the question of why I even watch power fantasy shows if I take issue with the primary conceit.

The answer is I'm a 30 year old guy watching shows made for 15 year old boys who want to be the cool pilot who is really good at shooting stuff and get the hot popular girlfriend who is otherwise out of their league/social status if they could just see how exceptional he is. I'm an old man getting annoyed at the young kids and the kind of shows or characters I'd like to see in media don't really exist outside of a specific niche. It's a personal hangup, not a condemnation of the genre.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nodosaur posted:

Maybe I should just stick to the Gunpla and G-Witch threads.

If you have coherent thoughts(which you do, based on your posts), post freely and don't let people drive you away.

FWIW, I definitely think Amuro and Kamille being on the spectrum is a totally valid read. I think you could also make a pretty decent argument for Kira(at least early Kira prior to having his character texture increasingly flattened by the time the back half of the show swings around).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

can we speculate about whose uke and whose seme instead

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

jackhunter64 posted:

RIP to the real Char:

drat. He really did a fantastic job as char. Both him and Brad Swaille killed their roles. Sad to see him go.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

im not sure what that means unless you mean the turbines' outfits which, hell, i think theyre woke

heres my gundam sexism tier list, lets discuss

Gundam 00 is cool and good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

RIP to the real Char:

Man, I just watched CCA for the first time on Friday, he was so good as Char :(

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ngl the idea that gundam is in love with princesses is hilarious to me because that's just a general society issue

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zedd posted:

Destiny being so married to base SEED (and thus having the eventual return and later takeover of Kira) is half of it's problems.

And despite being so married to base SEED, DESTINY carried vanishingly little of Kira's character from the first show into the second. Flattening him indeed.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Argas posted:

ngl the idea that gundam is in love with princesses is hilarious to me because that's just a general society issue

The only main shows since Wing that I don't remember having a princess were X and AGE, so I assume there's an exec that demands a princess every new show now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

I would say Zeta and ZZ are probably the best evidence for that kind of difference, because ZZ started airing literally the week after Zeta finished in the same timeslot on the same channel (though the first episode was a recap of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam that's often cut from home release) and shared a lot of the same staff because the two were essentially one big production. So ZZ has the same two lead writers as Zeta*, a lot of the same storyboard artists, animation directors, the same sound director etc. but the two have wildly different tones; at least for the first half of ZZ. It's still pretty different even once things become more serious in ZZ though.

* Or at least, the same two major writers as Zeta had after episode 15. Tomino co-wrote most episodes up to episode 15 with a couple of different people, but brought on Yumiko Suzuki and Akinori Endo in episode 16 and episode 17, after which they traded off episodes throughout Zeta and ZZ almost exclusively. Tomino co-wrote one more episode of Zeta, and two episodes of ZZ but almost everything after episode 15 was written by that pair. I haven't really watched Zeta in years, but I'm curious to do so at some point to see if the change in writing teams stands out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wdarkk posted:

The only main shows since Wing that I don't remember having a princess were X and AGE, so I assume there's an exec that demands a princess every new show now.

To be fair a princess in AGE would have meant a woman who does sonething besides get knocked up or die. That can't happen.

It isn't just recent stuff though. Sayla was a secret Zeon heir, Mineva is treated as one in Zeta era, Shaki was a princess, etc. Gundam just likes its Nobility, secret or otherwise

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 25, 2022

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have been watching Gundam in chronological order with a buddy for some time now. We've gone through the original series, plus Gundam Zeta. Now we're at ZZ.

We just watched the Moon Moon episodes.

What the

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

I have been watching Gundam in chronological order with a buddy for some time now. We've gone through the original series, plus Gundam Zeta. Now we're at ZZ.

We just watched the Moon Moon episodes.

What the

Moon Moon Good Good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Princesses are cool even if everything involving princesses in real life is not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is this a Gundam?