Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DoubleNegative posted:

This is the pettiest, low-stakes gripe, but I would really like to be able to fast travel out of mini dungeons in Elden Ring. Especially if they're mines or caves that require a lift ride to enter. I would even be happy to be allowed to travel from the Site of Grace inside as a compromise. But please let me leave without having to spend time trudging to an exit.

Can't you, in most cases? Once you kill the boss the teleport trap wears off. And most, if not all, dungeons have that little glowing blue ball in the boss room that teleports you to the entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
often times if you're just running around inside a cave with a roof over your head you can't warp at all, even without a teleport trap effect. you have to either walk back out into the open air or else open the warp menu while currently sitting at a grace point. but it's not in the grace point's menu like bonfire warping was in previous games, you just have to press the map button while you are already in the separate grace point menu.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I have literally only ever noticed that when in an uncleared dungeon :psyduck:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Last night I ran into the somewhat unique circumstances of not being properly equipped for a dungeon (only source of strike damage was not upgraded, and all the enemies inside were strong against everything else) and needing to upgrade my equipment in order to progress. So I had to walk halfway back out of the cave to the grace site, ride the lift up, and walk out into daylight so I could travel to Roundtable Hold so I could upgrade a weapon I wasn't, until that point, using.

Not really major or worth complaining about beyond griping, but tedious nonetheless.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Opopanax posted:

I’ve been in the beta for about 3 months now and they keep fixing all the janky horseshit :argh:
I do have an entire deck I just call “BS” that I bust out when they give me a “make your opponent retreat” task but it’s a lot weaker than it used to be.

drat, that's a HUGE shame. I just thought rhey were at a 'this is the base set to get the idea of everything' level, I didn't know that it was actually that they had weird jank and then 'fixed' it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cleretic posted:

drat, that's a HUGE shame. I just thought rhey were at a 'this is the base set to get the idea of everything' level, I didn't know that it was actually that they had weird jank and then 'fixed' it.

For better or worse they've been pretty proactive about updating the meta and balancing things out. It does have advantages though, this is the first deck builder where I've actually cared about deck building. It's really easy to make a bunch of different ones with different synergy that all work totally differently but are still fun

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CitizenKain posted:

I've always felt that the Tales of Series has had multiple extra systems in combat that I've never once figured out and still got to the end.
I had to look this up for Abyss, but there was Field of Fonons thing, and I remember it coming up once in the game, and I just ignored it and kept going.
" A new addition to the system is the "Field of Fonons" (often abbreviated as FOF). Whenever a character uses a spell or battle technique that features an elemental alignment, a circle will appear on the ground, corresponding to that element. After being reinforced with more techniques of the same element, the circle will light up in that element's color to signify that an FOF change is available. Finally, if a character stands in the circle and performs a specific skill that corresponds with the FOF circle, the skill will be upgraded into a more powerful version."

This is a game where the combat is constantly moving everyone around the screen.
I'm poking away at Tales of Arise, but I made a terrible mistake of setting it down and now I have a hard time remember how some of the combat goes.

FOFs are some absolute horseshit, one of the worst systems that Tales has ever played with, and yet another reason why Tales of the Abyss is hot garbage.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Vandar posted:

FOFs are some absolute horseshit, one of the worst systems that Tales has ever played with, and yet another reason why Tales of the Abyss is hot garbage.

I think others have had something similar. Its hard to remember because so many of those games blend together.
Only thing I really remember from that one was how everyone treated the main character like loving garbage and it was deserved for most of the game.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

oldpainless posted:

That sucks bro. The game finally starts getting good around the 65 hour mark.

:psyduck: it's never even taken me that long to complete an RPG

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Opopanax posted:

For better or worse they've been pretty proactive about updating the meta and balancing things out. It does have advantages though, this is the first deck builder where I've actually cared about deck building. It's really easy to make a bunch of different ones with different synergy that all work totally differently but are still fun

I feel like I'm not at the stage where I can even do different decks anyway, but maybe that's because I don't know how to get new cards beyond its rarity progression stuff or season pass.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cleretic posted:

I feel like I'm not at the stage where I can even do different decks anyway, but maybe that's because I don't know how to get new cards beyond its rarity progression stuff or season pass.

No that's it, the main way is through progression by increasing the rarities. It's a pretty generous system at first though you'll get a lot quickly

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

lord funk posted:

:psyduck: it's never even taken me that long to complete an RPG

I want to say that's a joke about the age old defense of FFXIII "It gets good when the game opens up" wherein after like 80 hours or something you reach one area that's not like 90% linear and people say you just have to push through to that one area and the game's good. But also that area's really short and it's back to walking down hallways and watching cutscenes for the last like two hours of the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Nuebot posted:

I want to say that's a joke about the age old defense of FFXIII "It gets good when the game opens up" wherein after like 80 hours or something you reach one area that's not like 90% linear and people say you just have to push through to that one area and the game's good. But also that area's really short and it's back to walking down hallways and watching cutscenes for the last like two hours of the game.

Actually if you start doing the sidequests that the game gives you you get plenty of gameplay in that area, as it's absolutely massive, and you unlock cool locations and unique hunts and fast travel and poo poo. It's mostly combat, but the combat in that game is quite fun. Then once you've done all you can manage, you can return in the postgame with the fully unlocked Crystarium and be monstrously strong for superbosses.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh, yeah, there is a bunch of stuff to do there! But like, in terms of purely story content it's pretty short IIRC and there's nothing about it that's actually that different from the rest of the game unless at that point you actively decide to engage with the fact that now you go more off the rails than usual to do side stuff. Basically you're not even going to reach that point of the game unless you're down with FFXIII on some level, which is why it's always been so hilarious people tried using it as a defense to get people enticed in the game.

Personally, I actually liked the weird battle system.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its also about 20-25 hours in purely casual and as short as 14 if you wise up and start skipping cutscenes. Conversely you are still unlocking basic game mechanics in Xenoblade and other games in the amount of time it takes to fully beat FFXIII.

FFXIII is brought down by not getting a remaster version doing the small tweaks it needs.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
A dozen or so pages back I mentioned that Generation: Zero devs had said they weren't adding any more vehicles. Apparently I was wrong, because they just released a Motorcycles DLC. For $9 CAD. And apparently if you don't want to buy it, you get exactly one new vehicle: a moped. This isn't mentioned anywhere but in the comments on the announcement where people are rightfully criticizing the devs locking an arguably needed feature behind a paywall, again.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

moosecow333 posted:

On top of all of that, my AI allies seem to have no qualms running their pox-ridden armies through my territory spreading this stuff through my empire.

This part is actually kind of great.

Fake edit: I had read it as enemies instead of allies. It is funny that your allies are pandemic-deniers and spreading the plague everywhere, but it would also be super frustrating.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Have to bring up Like a Dragon again, these long "dungeon" sections where you cannot save are kinda bullshit. So I climbed up the tower to face Tendo, it's a long slog against this boss but I I'm doing fine, he's at like 20% health and just instakills full-health Ichiban out of nowhere. I immediately uninstalled the game. The prospect of having to run through all those trash fights again to get back there, no thanks, I was just kind of worn out by that point anyway, I felt like I'd been playing forever. Though I overall enjoyed my time with the game, it definitely has some frustrating design elements.

Muscles Bonito
Oct 24, 2021
In a series that was already criticized for having too many trash mob fights, the only way forward was apparently to make it even slower - with more interstitial screens - and send you on multiple random enemy gauntlets in concrete tunnels. I recently quit my secondary unfinished playthrough due to this kind of repetition fatigue

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

AcidCat posted:

Have to bring up Like a Dragon again, these long "dungeon" sections where you cannot save are kinda bullshit. So I climbed up the tower to face Tendo, it's a long slog against this boss but I I'm doing fine, he's at like 20% health and just instakills full-health Ichiban out of nowhere. I immediately uninstalled the game. The prospect of having to run through all those trash fights again to get back there, no thanks, I was just kind of worn out by that point anyway, I felt like I'd been playing forever. Though I overall enjoyed my time with the game, it definitely has some frustrating design elements.

if you haven't already, this is the end of the game and you can just watch the cutscene on youtube

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

I had this issue before the Majima fight. Was able to hang on barely, scraping the boss's health down slowly until I got unlucky.

After that I just grabbed a cheat engine table and boosted myself to the recommended level before major fights. Much better.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

kazil posted:

if you haven't already, this is the end of the game and you can just watch the cutscene on youtube

Yeah I think I'll do that, might as well see the Young Master get his comeuppance.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Waste of Breath posted:

I had this issue before the Majima fight. Was able to hang on barely, scraping the boss's health down slowly until I got unlucky.

I ground out ten levels after my first defeat on this fight, came back and got the duo, but by the end of the game I was just done grinding, which was suggested again before the tower when you learn of another dungeon. Ugh, no thanks. My crew were level 55 when I fought Tendo, and they held their own just fine until that instakill move.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

AcidCat posted:

Yeah, that's how my first fight with Tendo went. Only beat him the second time cause he targeted someone else instead of Ichiban.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Yeah he has a move that activates I think at half health. There's an ability to prevent Ichiban from dying but overall it's a pretty lame fight.

The Majima fight basically requires you to do most of the arena, which is really optional in every other Yakuza game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

JackSplater posted:

A dozen or so pages back I mentioned that Generation: Zero devs had said they weren't adding any more vehicles. Apparently I was wrong, because they just released a Motorcycles DLC. For $9 CAD. And apparently if you don't want to buy it, you get exactly one new vehicle: a moped. This isn't mentioned anywhere but in the comments on the announcement where people are rightfully criticizing the devs locking an arguably needed feature behind a paywall, again.

To be fair a moped is really fitting for this world and I'm alright with that. I guess I've yet to test it. I mean, the bicycle is all of like 1.2 times faster than just loving running, and that's provided there's not the slightest incline.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AcidCat posted:

sounds like you got Tendowned

(but yes there are so many irritating little snags with yakuza 7)

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

credburn posted:

To be fair a moped is really fitting for this world and I'm alright with that. I guess I've yet to test it. I mean, the bicycle is all of like 1.2 times faster than just loving running, and that's provided there's not the slightest incline.

Yeah, I'm not against the moped in theory but I'm betting its cross-country is about as effective as the bike's, and I'm also betting the motorcycle actually has moderately decent offroading.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dishonored:

Y'know, I thought the high chaos "gently caress you" from Samuel was going to be way more epic. In my head he'd fire off his gun and the whole island would light up. (Which doesn't make logical sense, but whatever.) But no, it summons two whole
guards to come investigate the gunshot. :geno:

High Chaos did show a little bit more teeth after the turning point in the story, but the problem is that it does so primarily by spawning more weepers. Weepers are more or less mindless zombies and are less fun than the guards. The only critical difference after that is the final mission plays out rather differently, which I did appreciate, but so much for the rest of the gimmick.

Something that tripped me up last time and was a big detriment this time was the blueprints for better armor. They're hidden in a way totally unlike anything else in the game (a key is in a jar you have to break open, said jar is very inconspicuous, and this is all inside a locked building unto itself) and you can either get them in that scenario - literally on the very first major mission of the game - or you get them for basically free from Daud...in the middle of the third-ish to last mission. It's a pretty huge gap and on the one hand it's on me for lack of due diligence but on the other hand what the hell?

Similarly, as predicted, the "run at full speed with your weapons out" charm spawned in the same mission, most of the way past the point of being useful. Of course, the rest of the bone charms that showed up afterwards were pretty crappy too. Best I can tell doing a little research, you always miss 10~ out of the 35 total non-DLC charms. Six charms are just upgraded versions, so it feels like they could've cut/merged those, then dropped four of the least useful ones so at least you always have a chance at a full set. Of course, that still wouldn't prevent the one you needed the most being placed as the very last one in the campaign...

Next step, time to see if I can tolerate going low chaos Daud. Haven't done a stealth game in a while. Though I guess on the plus side, he gets a more balanced set of toys compared to Corvo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CitizenKain posted:

I think others have had something similar. Its hard to remember because so many of those games blend together.
Only thing I really remember from that one was how everyone treated the main character like loving garbage and it was deserved for most of the game.

Luke was a fuckin' awful main character. The rest of the cast was pretty terrible too, but I can understand them making GBS threads all over him.

He gets better but it's like thirty hours into the game when he has his big moment and turns it around and at that point I ended up checking out.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The random bone charms mechanic doesn't work until Deathloop, and it only works there because you can get an infinite amount by grinding Wenjies. "Running at full speed with a weapon out" and "You can retrieve crossbow bolts" are important for lethal play, and "move quickly while carrying a body" and "choke guys out instantly" are important for low-chaos. There's a whole ratlord system (you get mana by killing white rats, more white rats spawn in swarms) that just doesn't happen if the RNG hates you.

I wish you could buy the good ones from traders.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Vandar posted:

Luke was a fuckin' awful main character. The rest of the cast was pretty terrible too, but I can understand them making GBS threads all over him.

He gets better but it's like thirty hours into the game when he has his big moment and turns it around and at that point I ended up checking out.

I'll be honest, it's talk like this that gets me really curious about games. I might seek out Arise, just to experience the absolute trainwreck that is Luke.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll be honest, it's talk like this that gets me really curious about games. I might seek out Arise, just to experience the absolute trainwreck that is Luke.

That’s Tales of the Abyss they’re talking about for the PS2/3DS, Arise is kind of a trainwreck too but more in the sense that the plot goes at 125% speed so it’s big character beats fall flat and then you beat the equivalent of Disk 1 in an older game and poo poo just gets wild.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Philippe posted:

The random bone charms mechanic doesn't work until Deathloop, and it only works there because you can get an infinite amount by grinding Wenjies. "Running at full speed with a weapon out" and "You can retrieve crossbow bolts" are important for lethal play, and "move quickly while carrying a body" and "choke guys out instantly" are important for low-chaos. There's a whole ratlord system (you get mana by killing white rats, more white rats spawn in swarms) that just doesn't happen if the RNG hates you.

Yeah they're very fond of that system and keep reusing it even though it just doesn't work. Sorry Arkane, but you're only making it arbitrarily harder for me to do a full violence run, or a full ghost run, but I'm not going to switch my entire playstyle in Dishonored 1/2/Prey 2017 if the actually useful charms/chipsets refuse to drop until I'm almost done with the game (if at all), and I'm not replaying it just for that upgrade. I also won't be using the other randomized upgrades that don't synergize with my playstyle at all just because RNG never gave me the great stuff for my "build".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Luke is deliberately unpleasant as part of his arc rather than just badly written, which can be either more or less interesting depending on how you approach it

what makes him doubly frustrating is that he really doesn’t have a basis of reference for a healthy personality, so his “growth” initially has him whipsaw from the spoiled whiner of act 1 into a wheedling self-effacing sad sack. it takes the whole game for him to find something like a happy medium

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Blasphemous.

I love the style, atmosphere, and I love the IDEA of the gameplay. But man, it controls like poo poo.

A made a meme to express my frustration:

It's sluggish, I am frequently missing jumps, especially "wall jumps" where you have to shove your sword into the wood.

I get stuck on the wrong side of an enemy, so I try to quickly hit the D-pad to turn around and attack, and I often end up NOT turned around (because I'm maybe in a "recovery" state from my last input?) so I swing my sword at nothing, then get hit. The enemies are too quick/responsive for how un-responsive I am, and I can never tell if attempting to dash through an enemy or attack will work or damage me. I have figured out that if it has some sort of shield, I can't dash trough, but that's not the ONLY qualifier. It REALLY poorly explained a weird "jump attack" thing making me think I could do some sort of bounce/jump attack to get to a higher ledge, but some quick googling showed that's not the case, and other people are just as frustrated as I am at both the poor explanation of the ability AND how tricky it is to get it to even work...and also, it's pretty useless anyway, so don't bother. similar with the parry/riposte. I only JUST NOW, when looking up why I was so bad at it, realized that I don't have to hit the attack to do a riposte, that's automatic as part of the parry (?) but waiting to hit attack till just before I hit is what triggers the GOOD/stronger riposte.

And I honestly don't understand why a game released in 2020 doesn't allow any sort of button re-mapping. I keep hitting Circle (whatever the right button is on an Xbox or Switch) for dash instead of R2 and end up doing the "hurt yourself to gain mana" ability.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Oct 26, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I loved blasphemous but some aspects of the game drove me nuts. The movement was probably the big one for me. Still considering playing through it again.

That or sleeping dogs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I only JUST NOW, when looking up why I was so bad at it, realized that I don't have to hit the attack to do a riposte, that's automatic as part of the parry (?) but waiting to hit attack till just before I hit is what triggers the GOOD/stronger riposte.

Oh that’s how that works? I did two full playthroughs of the game without ever doing that once or having any idea how it worked. in fact the only evidence I had of its existence was a perk that said it “eases the timing of a righteous riposte” or whatever and an achievement for doing it that I never got. did I just miss a tutorial somewhere?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Philippe posted:

Technically, you can always retrieve bolts. The charm bumps it up from what feels like 25% to a 50% chance that they don't break. (Which is one common problem with charms - reliance on nebulous percent chance effects.)

For stealth there's also faster sneaking, for lethal there's like six additional useful ones including defensive boosts.

Some of the white rat ones got split off into the pre-order DLCs which is less of a big deal now but is still lame.

You've reminded me that in the first mission there's a guy you can save who then acts as a shop. But all he has is the level 2 mask zoom blueprint, a redundant potion blueprint, and some basic supplies. You never trade with anyone ever again besides Piero. Should've been able to rescue a cultist and stash them in the sewers under the pub and buy charms from them.

I also completely forgot Prey had 'em too... I think that at least speaks to Prey as a whole being more flexible and the chip effects being less must-have. Though now I'm going to go look at the list and probably get mad lol. Edit: Not as bad as I feared, there's some really nice ones but ultimately you're not pigeonholed into one specific approach like in DH.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Oct 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

John Murdoch posted:

You've reminded me that in the first mission there's a guy you can save who then acts as a shop. But all he has is the level 2 mask zoom blueprint, a redundant potion blueprint, and some basic supplies. You never trade with anyone ever again besides Piero. Should've been able to rescue a cultist and stash them in the sewers under the pub and buy charms from them.

I think this would have been a great solution. In Dishonored 2 you can learn to craft bonecharms, but you can only craft charms you already know the effect to, so it's not very useful unless you want to consolidate charm slots or make them more powerful. It's a very "two steps forward, then two steps back" studio.