Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Kheldarn posted:

Landscape rules, portrait drools.

A avoid any game that requires landscape mode. Just not comfortable on a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I would love to reward Lucas Pope for going to the effort of making Papers Please work in portrait, but I also don't need that bummer in my life right now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I realize all card games are basically this but Marvel Snap feels like there's very little agency/strategy involved and the cards are just numbers with a random special gimmick assigned to them that makes the numbers on the field have huge swings back and forth. There probably is more strategy involved than I'm giving it credit for or willing to learn but I don't really find the playing matches aspect of the game to be all that engaging.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

explosivo posted:

I realize all card games are basically this but Marvel Snap feels like there's very little agency/strategy involved and the cards are just numbers with a random special gimmick assigned to them that makes the numbers on the field have huge swings back and forth. There probably is more strategy involved than I'm giving it credit for or willing to learn but I don't really find the playing matches aspect of the game to be all that engaging.

It really changes as you unlock new cards. Before you're out of pool 1 there's not much in the way of disrupting the other player and it's more about playing in the right order, but things change a lot later on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What are some games that can play between android and iOS? I'm on a work trip and the plan was play switch with my partner back in Ohio but the switch doesn't connect to the hotel wifi

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You tried just connecting the switch to a phone hotspot? online multiplayer doesn't take much data as long as you're not like downloading game updates or something.

For phone games the big crossplatform ones I know are mostly big cash-cow competitive games like Mobile Legends and Wild Rift (MOBAs), PUBG mobile, Apex Mobile, Cod Mobile etc (fpses). I haven't played any of these.
Also Genshin Impact which is the only co-opish game I know of? You can't actually do the main story quests but you can run around and explore the breath-of-the-wild-clone-ish open world.

e: minecraft! I forgot that had a mobile port

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 21, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You tried just connecting the switch to a phone hotspot? online multiplayer doesn't take much data as long as you're not like downloading game updates or something.

For phone games the big crossplatform ones I know are mostly big cash-cow competitive games like Mobile Legends and Wild Rift (MOBAs), PUBG mobile, Apex Mobile, Cod Mobile etc (fpses). I haven't played any of these.
Also Genshin Impact which is the only co-opish game I know of? You can't actually do the main story quests but you can run around and explore the breath-of-the-wild-clone-ish open world.

e: minecraft! I forgot that had a mobile port

How much is not much? The Verizon plan I'm on only allows for 5gb of high speed hotspot and i don't see an option to buy more and Google seems to think that with my plan I can't

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
a lot less than 5gb
usually multiplayer games are just sending lightweight stuff like positions or button inputs, nothing like audio/video/etc. it should be about as demanding as browsing SA (actually less since pokemans doesn't have embedded tweets)

if your phone has a data usage monitor (android has this builtin, idk about ios), check it before and after a gameplay session and take screenshots each way and you'll be able to see how much data you go through

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 21, 2022

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

explosivo posted:

Honestly I was pretty harsh on the game but it really starts to pick up steam once you start getting some cards and ranks. The early game is full of people/bot that play basically randomly with the exact same cards as you. Just snap like crazy and blast through the brain dead ranks.

honestly the snap mechanic might be the most interesting part of the game. Basically every match has gives the standard 1 victory/lose for the first 5 rounds. On the 6th round that doubles. At any time each player can "snap" double the amount of victory/lose and if the opposing player doesn't surrender then the stakes get higher. It is possible to get 8 victories or losses in a single match.

There gives a whole meta game of trying to get as many victories points and mitigating the losses.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
Yea I felt like I was getting decent until the snap mindgames started coming in and then I realized I'm a huge pussy and am totally not sure if I can close out a match

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

DrBox posted:

A avoid any game that requires landscape mode. Just not comfortable on a phone.

You are missing out on slice & dice tho

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

norp posted:

First game to ever convince me to play landscape

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

norp posted:

Yep. Sad but I will not yield!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You can play slice and dice in portrait.

All the words will be sideways but you can do it if you want.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I feel like I'm the only shill for it here, but Polytopia plays great in portrait.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Polytopia is great! Probably the best adaptation of a 4x on mobile, and the high score daily mode is fun. It also has offline hotseat multiplayer which can be great for plane flights, train rides, etc.

Also seconding Solitairica, that game owns.

Other portrait games I keep installed:

80 Days is an excellent narrative game, with a v well done CYOA- style narrative (although that kind of doesn't do it justice).

Pocket City does what Polytopia did for 4x but for city builders, with maybe a bit less longevity.

Holedown is the best mobile take on breakout (or peggle? Or something idk) imo, although it doesn't quite have the legs to play endlessly it's fun.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Add Downwell to the list for a rogue-lite schmup-like.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

DrBox posted:

Yep. Sad but I will not yield!

CainFortea posted:

You can play slice and dice in portrait.

All the words will be sideways but you can do it if you want.

Or get one of these glasses, but like tilted 90degrees the other way so that you can play it in portrait mode.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Has anyone played phobies? I've only been playing a little over a week but it's easily my favorite mobile game now.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mortimer Knag posted:

Has anyone played phobies? I've only been playing a little over a week but it's easily my favorite mobile game now.

PvP with units you level up is basically poison.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
yeah, the async pvp thing seemed quite neat to me (and being able to have multiple games on the go at once), but then i hit the point where the cards have upgrades and lost a lot of enthusiasm for it

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Since there's no Buriedbornes thread - I remembered Buriedbornes existed last night while nursing a nosebleed, and I still can't figure out what Proficiency is. The description says "Whenever your "Skill Boost" activates, increase the number of times your skill activates by 1." - Skill Boost is the item ability that repeats your skills, right? So Proficiency does nothing without having Skill Boost?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Politely reminding everyone that Marvel Snap had its full launch last week.

CCG
Money doesn't affect outcomes
Great gameplay
Betting mechanic a la poker

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I have been enjoying marvel snap a bit but I feels like they're trying to pull some psychological trick? Tying unlocking cards to acquiring cosmetics so people will say it's not pay2win when you can still pay for new cards.

FRAME-BREAK

I like how short the games are, the betting mechanic is cool!

Tann fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 25, 2022

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Tann posted:

I have been enjoying marvel snap a bit but I feels like they're trying to pull some psychological trick? Tying unlocking cards to acquiring cosmetics so people will say it's not pay2win when you can still pay for new cards.

FRAME-BREAK

I like how short the games are, the betting mechanic is cool!

Even if you buy all the cosmetics in the shop, it won't let you acquire new cards any faster. The real bottleneck is credits which you can use real money to buy and speed things up. Even if you do this, you still need to grind thousands of matches to unlock the cards. You can't really circumvent this.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Sean posted:

Politely reminding everyone that Marvel Snap had its full launch last week.

CCG
Money doesn't affect outcomes
Great gameplay
Betting mechanic a la poker

Money definitely affects outcomes. Lots of cards that are Just Better are locked behind pay gates or significant enough time gates that new paid content will significantly out shine them by the time a free player catches up.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

leper khan posted:

Money definitely affects outcomes. Lots of cards that are Just Better are locked behind pay gates or significant enough time gates that new paid content will significantly out shine them by the time a free player catches up.

No, they are not locked behind pay gates. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The game also generally keeps players in a pool based on how many cards they have unlocked so, again, not sure what you're talking about.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 25, 2022

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Have they improved progression or is still dogshit?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BoldFace posted:

Even if you buy all the cosmetics in the shop, it won't let you acquire new cards any faster. The real bottleneck is credits which you can use real money to buy and speed things up. Even if you do this, you still need to grind thousands of matches to unlock the cards. You can't really circumvent this.

that just makes it grindy and paytowin
like if real money affects your account power or chance to win a match, it's absolutely 100% somewhere on the p2w spectrum. after that it's just a matter of degrees

The Sean posted:

No, they are not locked behind pay gates. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The game also generally keeps players in a pool based on how many cards they have unlocked so, again, not sure what you're talking about.

there were paygated cards in lootboxes in the "Nexus Event" thing they did in beta but the community outcry was so loud after the first one that they immediately removed the lootbox/nexus-event mechanic from the game and said they would just focus on cosmetics. which might be the first time in history a dev actually walked back lootbox poo poo?

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 25, 2022

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

like if real money affects your account power or chance to win a match, it's absolutely 100% somewhere on the p2w spectrum. after that it's just a matter of degrees

It's not that simple in this case. Money lets you speed up your grind and get the cards faster, sure. But the way matchmaking works is that people with similar progression are matched against each other. So, the more you pay to progress, the more difficult your opponents will be. Whales are going to be playing against other whales or people who have played since beta day one.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It might surprise you, but this isn't people's first free-to-play CCG rodeo. We've seen these mechanics before, we can spot pay-to-unlock-things-in-a-reasonable-timeframe mechanics and know how they play out in practice.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jabor posted:

It might surprise you, but this isn't people's first free-to-play CCG rodeo. We've seen these mechanics before, we can spot pay-to-unlock-things-in-a-reasonable-timeframe mechanics and know how they play out in practice.

I've read enough gacha OPs to know that people fall for this every time.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

there were paygated cards in lootboxes in the "Nexus Event" thing they did in beta but the community outcry was so loud after the first one that they immediately removed the lootbox/nexus-event mechanic from the game and said they would just focus on cosmetics. which might be the first time in history a dev actually walked back lootbox poo poo?

Pretty sure that Warframe walked back some lootbox stuff, but yeah, it's super rare.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Len posted:

I've read enough gacha OPs to know that people fall for this every time.

This time I know I'm gonna get rich and QUICK!

Edit: Marvel snap does let you get 6x as many quest per day as many quest as f2p players. The battle pass is heavily incentive for paying. Variant skins are like $10-$20.

Is Marvel snap more generous than most other TCG? I think so. But don't pretend it more generous than it is.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 26, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jabor posted:

Nate405 posted:

I've been playing since the start of beta and just finished my collection today at level 2,650 after pretty much exactly 5 months. Never bought gold or spent the gold that I did get on progression, though I did buy 4 of the 5 season passes. I took a few weeks off and didn't really go out of my way to optimize so I'm sure other people will get there faster.

Overall, I've been happy with the card acquisition model and still love playing. Late pool 2 and early pool 3 can be frustrating until you get a coherent deck together, but I think it is worth pushing through if you enjoy the game.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Dang this was my best run in a very long time, best my previous best survival time on power plant by like 7 minutes. Don't think I've cracked 30 minutes on it since the big update way back

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Dang this was my best run in a very long time, best my previous best survival time on power plant by like 7 minutes. Don't think I've cracked 30 minutes on it since the big update way back

Nice. I've been struggling to get past 30 minutes on anything since that update. I have everything mastered and i'm just playing to get research points now. I think I have 6 thing in the Experiments or whatever screen that are still not open but not even sure how you open those.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Trastion posted:

Nice. I've been struggling to get past 30 minutes on anything since that update. I have everything mastered and i'm just playing to get research points now. I think I have 6 thing in the Experiments or whatever screen that are still not open but not even sure how you open those.

I'm pretty sure you need to get past 30 minutes on the corresponding levels. For whatever reason I've gotten past 30 on the last level a few times (and at least once on the first), but struggle to get past maybe 25 minutes on the other levels.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

hooah posted:

I'm pretty sure you need to get past 30 minutes on the corresponding levels. For whatever reason I've gotten past 30 on the last level a few times (and at least once on the first), but struggle to get past maybe 25 minutes on the other levels.

That makes sense. I have made it past 30 min on the first 2, i think both before the update. And I have the last 6 that I haven't gotten to. Though one is at 29:59 for my best...

Might look into see if anyone has any best use research. I have 27 points currently and they probably aren't in the best bang for the buck type spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Trastion posted:

That makes sense. I have made it past 30 min on the first 2, i think both before the update. And I have the last 6 that I haven't gotten to. Though one is at 29:59 for my best...

Might look into see if anyone has any best use research. I have 27 points currently and they probably aren't in the best bang for the buck type spots.

FWIW here's how I've allocated my 32 research points so far: