Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Hoping for the best, choo choo all aboard the righteous train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I hear that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

wiegieman posted:

The people with the airship fleet which has all of its guns pointed down would like to assure you that they are not at all authoritarian.

They're just protecting ze price stabilite

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What do we want?
Ze price stabilitè!
When do we want it?
At a politically opportune moment!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The pork and wheat complex, man.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

mutantIke posted:

For some reason the first time I read about this I misread Robert Kurvitz as Richard Horvitz and spent a good while thinking Disco Elysium was written by Invader Zim

ENCYCLOPEDIA [Easy: Success] -- Humans have many organs.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I'm surprised I can't find more political compass memes for this game. Just not sure if Moralism is bottom left or the "I just want to grill" guy.

Moralism is a trauma response.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I have never played this game to.....right about now. I always heard lots of hype and "game of the year RPG" blah blah blah and 5 minutes in to starting a game

I'm in loving love. What the hell is going on?
The visuals are stunning. I love the art direction and the voice acting is A+

I opened up what I think is the "skill up" section or maybe a skill tree?
What the poo poo does it all mean? I literally giggled looking at it because it all looks and seems so fresh

I've literally just woke up w/ my first character and tossed on my pants and yeah. This is great

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Don't forget your tie

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Awesome, keep us updated with your first playthrough. Don't reload when you fail. The skill tree thing sounds like the Thought Cabinet, they're like perks you can add based on what comes up in conversation.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
"I want to have gently caress with you"

Jesus christ lol. Game of the Year already. I swear I won't post a million times but I'm already in love.
I have 0 idea what I am doing as this is, maybe, the first time in years I've gone completely blind into a game with no guides or min/max poo poo planned out.

So 100% legit reactions I'll post. I'm excited

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
If you like that one there’s like a million more even clever and funny ones, then they’ll throw in a really cheeky reference to a choice you made 15 hours ago and you’ll rly be poggin yr pants off then. I’ve been thinking about replaying it for what would probably be the fourth time I’ve replayed it in total, not counting starting new files and stopping or loading old saves to try stuff, and i feel like it’s been enough time since I played the final cut last year.

Does anyone have any recommendations for streams or let’s plays of the final cut? I also watched Joseph Anderson’s playthrough and that was great, but he played the original and read every line out loud, so if I find a good let’s play of the final cut I might watch that instead.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

imhotep posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for streams or let’s plays of the final cut? I also watched Joseph Anderson’s playthrough and that was great, but he played the original and read every line out loud, so if I find a good let’s play of the final cut I might watch that instead.

I like this one by WoolieVersus. It's a full video playthrough of two black american dudes enjoying the hell out of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLp8KJWpuQ&list=PLiSdC6Lp8c7OqzRpriFam1lARlD9zI_Gl&index=114

The link is to the playlist and specifically to the super cut video of what they thought were the best moments. It's a really fun watch.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's always fun to read people's first impressions of the game :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

I like this one by WoolieVersus. It's a full video playthrough of two black american dudes enjoying the hell out of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLp8KJWpuQ&list=PLiSdC6Lp8c7OqzRpriFam1lARlD9zI_Gl&index=114

The link is to the playlist and specifically to the super cut video of what they thought were the best moments. It's a really fun watch.

*Canadian

But yeah, Woolie's playthrough is very good.

I also liked SuperGreatFriend's playthrough of it as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmXQAvz8c-0&list=PLaSPgE4K0SB3EgpAuZztCy5pqkkWrZHCO

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

*Canadian

But yeah, Woolie's playthrough is very good.

I also liked SuperGreatFriend's playthrough of it as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmXQAvz8c-0&list=PLaSPgE4K0SB3EgpAuZztCy5pqkkWrZHCO

I'm in Eastern Europe, from way over here you guys all blend together for me, sorry.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I swear I won't post a million times but I'm already in love.

do post a million times

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So, I legit can't tell if my character is crazy right now....or if I'm seeing "beyond the veil" sorta thing going on. Like....I am just loving the voice acting, the way you interact with things and just some crazy WTF poo poo is going on in even just the opening hour of me playing. If i should post that stuff w/ spoiler tags please let me know and I will.

I can't recall the last time I played a game that made me geniuenly laugh out loud at things and take pics to send to friends because it realls feels so drat fresh and fun

I like my cop buddy. I love the name my character picked and I will not NOT call myself that every chance I get

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've been thinking more lately about the whole "game over radio" bit.

Has anyone here ever played any of the actual real life radio based games?

An example being BS Super Mario Bros USA.

Pretty basic super mario platformer, except of course that you could only play it over radio, and it was fully voiced because that's easy over radio, and it was also part radio drama hosted by actual live people who could impact your gameplay via the broadcast.

I completely missed the whole real-world radio-based video games thing and would love to hear more about it from anyone who ever actually experienced it, because it blew my mind to discover radio-based games were actually a legit real thing.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So, I legit can't tell if my character is crazy right now....or if I'm seeing "beyond the veil" sorta thing going on. Like....I am just loving the voice acting, the way you interact with things and just some crazy WTF poo poo is going on in even just the opening hour of me playing. If i should post that stuff w/ spoiler tags please let me know and I will.

I can't recall the last time I played a game that made me geniuenly laugh out loud at things and take pics to send to friends because it realls feels so drat fresh and fun

I like my cop buddy. I love the name my character picked and I will not NOT call myself that every chance I get

I definitely remember taking screenshots of some of the early choice lines and sending them around.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There are sound-only games for blind people like The Vale.

There's also, cough, Skyrim: The Very Special Edition.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If that's a response to me, that's not really what I mean, I don't mean "audio" games, I mean radio games. I think every radio game I know about had pretty decent visual graphics? Nintendo had an entire radio division and made a number of radio games for a while there, this is a screen shot of the main menu for their Setallaview radio console, for example:

Since it all depended on broadcasts, there were daily, weekly, and monthly schedules which outlined when specific games would be playable.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 25, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Megazver posted:

Yeah this would be my top recommendation, too. A good play through and some amazing reactions to the game's best bits.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Tiny, what’s your build? like, are you spreading your skill points pretty evenly or are you leaning really hard into one specifically?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I only just finished the game and I'm already wishing I could play it for the first time again

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

the escape goat posted:

Tiny, what’s your build? like, are you spreading your skill points pretty evenly or are you leaning really hard into one specifically?

Nice thing about this game is that every build is a quality one

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

imhotep posted:

If you like that one there’s like a million more even clever and funny ones, then they’ll throw in a really cheeky reference to a choice you made 15 hours ago and you’ll rly be poggin yr pants off then. I’ve been thinking about replaying it for what would probably be the fourth time I’ve replayed it in total, not counting starting new files and stopping or loading old saves to try stuff, and i feel like it’s been enough time since I played the final cut last year.

honestly i think the hardest i laughed at this game was "empathy success: it is clear that he would prefer if the body was not still in the tree"

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Picked this up when it went on sale yesterday, and 20 minutes in I'm definitively hooked. I went with a physical build for my first run--it seems like a solid route to figure out the basics, and there's never a bad time for violence--and while I'm figuring out the (fairly dense) mechanics I'd love some idea of where to start. Speaking broadly, are there any particular skills/conversations/whatever I should be focusing on, just to get me through the story without dying or having a meltdown? The gameplan is to blindly stumble about and do a bunch of loving up, so nothing too specific, but it'd be great to get a leg up on some of the basics.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

From the article:

quote:

Earlier this month, ZA/UM editor and co-founder Martin Luiga announced that investors have stepped in and changed the nature of the studio. This led to arguments between them and key employees, who were eventually “demanded” to leave.

niiiiiiiice

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Yup

but imho in terms of general experience, unfortunately, I think Motorics gets the short straw in terms of dialogue. Reaction Speed carries a lot of it and pretty well, but Savoir-Faire and Composure could appear way more

(however Hand-Eye Coordination is one of my absolute favorite implementation of a skill ever)

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

christmas boots posted:

hell yeah, that’s why I’ve leaned into specific stuff with each different run.

recently started seeing someone and they were trying to sell me on Elden Ring and I managed to get them to buy DE instead. double whammy of 1) saving loads of time and 2) easy litmus test on what he’s interested in.

the fact that he immediately went “Kim must be protected at all costs” is a good sign.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Yup

but imho in terms of general experience, unfortunately, I think Motorics gets the short straw in terms of dialogue. Reaction Speed carries a lot of it and pretty well, but Savoir-Faire and Composure could appear way more

(however Hand-Eye Coordination is one of my absolute favorite implementation of a skill ever)

I agree. Which I think is also why there's no corresponding pre-built character like there is for the other three stats. But, much like ultraliberalism, motorics pairs with any build quite nicely.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

The gameplan is to blindly stumble about and do a bunch of loving up, so nothing too specific, but it'd be great to get a leg up on some of the basics.

sounds like you've already got it all figured out

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Speaking broadly, are there any particular skills/conversations/whatever I should be focusing on, just to get me through the story without dying or having a meltdown? The gameplan is to blindly stumble about and do a bunch of loving up, so nothing too specific, but it'd be great to get a leg up on some of the basics.

The story will move just fine if you gently caress everything up and melting down is kinda what got the player character where they are at the start of the game so...

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Alright, cool. I can work with that. Are meltdowns an automatic game over? That Sylvia girl turned me down for coffee, triggering an immediate nervous collapse--relatable--and it'd be good to know if there's a dialogue option to pull out of that kinda thing and avoid getting yanked back to my (unfortunately very distant) save.

Incidentally: is there any way to, like, break that Cuno kid's jaw and then hurl him off a rooftop? Because I'm way less interested in solving this lynching than in getting revenge on a 12 year-old for bullying me and hurting my feelings.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Alright, cool. I can work with that. Are meltdowns an automatic game over? That Sylvia girl turned me down for coffee, triggering an immediate nervous collapse--relatable--and it'd be good to know if there's a dialogue option to pull out of that kinda thing and avoid getting yanked back to my (unfortunately very distant) save.

Incidentally: is there any way to, like, break that Cuno kid's jaw and then hurl him off a rooftop? Because I'm way less interested in solving this lynching than in getting revenge on a 12 year-old for bullying me and hurting my feelings.

Keep healing items on hand and, ideally, keep your healths topped off, but if you insist / only have 1 mental health you can click the thing in the bottom left while you're in the process of dying to use a heal and recover.

You can't kill Cuno, but you can kill Cunoesse.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Less exciting but good to know. That 4'6" child utterly dominated me, and while I can never mend my broken spirit, masking my pain under disgusting, hideous violence would at least let me look in a mirror again. Thanks!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Keep healing items on hand and, ideally, keep your healths topped off, but if you insist / only have 1 mental health you can click the thing in the bottom left while you're in the process of dying to use a heal and recover.

Wait what? How?

Maybe I need to play another round of this. My first game was motorics + empathy based and he was more or less competent. Maybe it's time to go full body and let Electrochem + Authority take the wheel.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

Wait what? How?

Maybe I need to play another round of this. My first game was motorics + empathy based and he was more or less competent. Maybe it's time to go full body and let Electrochem + Authority take the wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXyXGK_rZDA <-- HELLA SPOILERS

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

GlyphGryph posted:

If that's a response to me, that's not really what I mean, I don't mean "audio" games, I mean radio games. I think every radio game I know about had pretty decent visual graphics? Nintendo had an entire radio division and made a number of radio games for a while there, this is a screen shot of the main menu for their Setallaview radio console, for example:

Since it all depended on broadcasts, there were daily, weekly, and monthly schedules which outlined when specific games would be playable.

I literally have never heard of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Alctel posted:

I literally have never heard of these

They had a great idea back in the day, but the money men hosed them over. It would have been world-changing.