Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Tired: Gender Reveal Party
Wired: Skin Color Reveal Party

Yeesh bageesh.

Edit for terrible snipe tax:
AITA for lying about my friend's long term boyfriend so they would break up?

quote:

This happened 2 years ago.

My friend (25F), let's call her Sarah, had been dating her now exboyfriend (27M), let's call him Ahmed, for 3 years. They were in a committed relationship and planning on getting married in a year or so. Until I made up a story to break them up, that is.

What happened was, I had recently found out that Ahmed was gay. A mutual friend (let's call her Jane) who's known him much longer than I have told me how he came out to her when they were teenagers, how he was sleeping with men throughout his early twenties up until he "found god", and how he was still exclusively attracted to men and only intends on marrying Sarah to "stay on the right path". I have a pletra of reasons to believe that friend's account at face value , and she also showed me texts from Ahmed that didn't leave room for doubt.

To be clear, I didn't go fishing for that information, but now that I had it I couldn't let Sarah walk into that trap. She was already "waiting till marriage" because he had requested it, I wasn't going to let her wait 4 years to have sex with a man who wasn't even attracted to her.

Outing Ahmed was obviously out of the question. He comes from a very conservative family, and being a gay man with a similar background myself I don't think anyone deserves to be outed, no matter how wrong they are.

So I made up some bullshit story about seing him with another girl and told it to Sarah who gobbled it up. Sarah and I are very close and I felt really bad about abusing her trust, which might make me the AH, but I felt any other way would have either risked getting Ahmed outed or her not listening to me and staying with him.

At the time, Jane went off on me about being a dick and how I ruined Ahmed's life. This honestly made no sense to me, she knew me and Sarah were close, I don't know how she expected to come to me with that kind of bombshell and have me cross my arms and do nothing.

I forgot about the whole story until Sarah found out about everything a few days ago, through other means. She says she understands why I did what I did but I can tell she's at least a little upset, which is making me reconsider how right what I did was.

So AITA?

run on sentience fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for not wanting to play the ‘dulux colour game’ at my baby shower?

:shepface:

what the absolute gently caress

fresh new horrors on the racism frontier

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Yeah, for all the weird stories here, this was the first one in a while that made me go what the gently caress in a serious way.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

run on sentience posted:

AITA for lying about my friend's long term boyfriend so they would break up?

Why the hell didn't OP just tell Sarah the truth, it doesn't sound like she would have outed him to his family

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

artsy fartsy posted:

Why the hell didn't OP just tell Sarah the truth, it doesn't sound like she would have outed him to his family

Cis-Straight Dude with a lot of LGBTQ+ friends: Lol loving No. You do not do that to a friend. Ever. It's not a third party's call to make if someone is "out" or not in any way that they don't explicitly approve of.

No one knows how Sarah will react. No one knows every angle of Ahmed's story. "Doesn't sound like" is way too loving big a gamble to take with someone's life who isn't your own.

Like, holy gently caress.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I have personal experience of this.

Not the insane racist "Dulux paint" game. But the Anglo-Indian "what colour will the baby be?" thing.

My dad is from Bengalaru, India. My mum is from Birmingham, England. They both independently emigrated to Australia where they met, married and had me and my brother.

The first thing out of the Indian side of our family's mouths when both of us were born was not "Is he healthy?' or "Is everyone OK?" but "Is the baby fair?" Meaning fair-skinned. And everyone was delighted that both mine and my brothers skin tone more matches mums than dads. India is also one of the places where "Skin-Lightening Cream" is sold in supermarkets, and even advertised on TV.

So yeah, skin colour based racism/discrimination/interest is very prevalent and important to Indian families and people of a certain age.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

mind the walrus posted:

Cis-Straight Dude with a lot of LGBTQ+ friends: Lol loving No. You do not do that to a friend. Ever. It's not a third party's call to make if someone is "out" or not in any way that they don't explicitly approve of.

No one knows how Sarah will react. No one knows every angle of Ahmed's story. "Doesn't sound like" is way too loving big a gamble to take with someone's life who isn't your own.

Yeah, it's annoying to feel like your friend didn't trust you not to ruin a life, but it's better to handle annoyance than to completely trash someone's life. Nobody's life should ever be at risk from coming out, but unfortunately it often is.

Ahmed has the right to stay closeted to protect himself. He doesn't get to drag someone else into that via deception. He still shouldn't be outed. The lie OP told is honestly the best threading of that needle.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

mind the walrus posted:

OP said they were very close, so based on that maybe he actually would know how she would react. But that's not what OP chose to do, so maybe there's a reason for that as well. Probably he should have just confronted Ahmed himself and said spin it how you have to, but quit loving using my friend as your unwitting beard.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for being furious over my partner warning women before they meet me?

quote:

I (25M) have been with my partner (23F) for almost 4 years after being single for 3. During this time i was working at a job with mainly old people and wasnt the type for going out so mainly met people on dating apps. Either i would have a situationship with these people or be friends with them and some would stick around as friends and some wouldnt. Meeting people off these apps mainly meant i was attracted to them because obviously and that was mainly who i talked to.

My partner basically drew the conclusion i am only friends with people i find attractive. So she had a friend who was quite large and wouldnt be someone I would be attracted to and told her that. Her friend went on to hate me and not want to be friends because i "obviously wouldnt want to be" and so on. I was never rude to her or anything and always exchanged pleasantries as i do with everyone, if im not friends with someone that just means its not a person id add to my social group (not that i have one) especially outside of my partner.

Today we got into an argument because i was helping a friend and she was asking a ton of questions as she always does when i leave the house without her. (Friend got stuck downtown at 4am in the cold couldn't find car or keys i brought her to our apt she slept then took her to look for her car couldnt find it took her to her apt to get locks changed tried to file police report but said since she didnt live in the city where it happened she had to come in and file) my partner goes on a tear asking a gently caress ton of questions saying if they didnt take her report over the phone thats a problem and she needs to sue or im lying about it tryna look up the times the bars closed to see why she called me etc the whole ordeal.

In the conversation because i said she didnt need to be doing all of that, she dropped the bomb that i only meet the people she brings over and not hang out with them because she warns every woman who comes over beforehand that im only friends with people im attracted to so they dont feel unwelcome for being unattractive.

Obviously i flip poo poo because i find that abhorrent to say because everyone who ive ever met because of her ive been nothing but nice to and her family loves me because i can be pleasant to anyone. Just because i wouldn't be friends permanently with someone doesnt mean im going to be rude to them off the jump. It made me feel like a massive creep as shes told people that just because i had a preference when i was single and dont make a bunch of friends. I told her i was done because that was a massive betrayal of trust if she feels the need to WARN people (her words) before i meet them. Am i the rear end in a top hat?

TLDR: Partner came to conclusion i am only friends with women im attracted to so started telling every woman who would meet me that so they wouldnt feel unwelcome even though ive never been rude to anybody just because i wasnt attracted to them.

wtf

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

wtf

Abuser out here renting a prop plane with a red flag banner to fly while strafing the beach with the text "it only gets worse" written on it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DemoneeHo posted:

wtf

In the comments, it comes out that his partner has untreated BPD. :ohdear:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for using pretentious words?

quote:

Throwaway, and changed details. I (23 F) am German , and my boyfriend (25 M) is German/American (his family speaks English). We’ve been together for two years, and we hardly ever fight. This is the one thing that keeps coming up though, and while I won’t show him this in case he’s in the wrong I will definitely apologise to him if I am.

Even though we could speak German together, we usually speak English. I went to an English school, so it’s fine by me. The problem is that he feels like I’m using pretentious words to make him feel stupid. (I’ll give English examples but it’s the exact same issue in German.) So now when I use “fancy intellectual words” he gets very upset and starts arguing. Today he burst out saying I was making him feel stupid, and that 99% of people wouldn’t know about the word I was using. This happens constantly. A few examples:
  • He doesn’t know what storks are or sparrows. I don’t except him or me to identify a “blue belly tit” or something like that, but he doesn’t know any birds. So every time I say something innocent like “aw look that sparrow is trying to steal our bread!” He flies in a hissy fit of “Oh look, a bird scientist! Did you take bird classes in school??” When I tell him that’s a bird most people would be able to identify he denies it, saying I must simply have gone to a “weird bird school” and “Where do you even learn that”.
  • The phrase “carbon copy” of something
  • Acorns, any tree tbh
  • Cutlery, sieves, pottery
  • Treadmill
  • Haughty, glimmering, persuasive and lots of adjectives
  • Fumes
  • Dials
  • Kernels
  • Cubs, feline, animal related words
  • Lectern
  • Burglar
I could go on, it happens every day. I don’t mind, I really try avoiding words he might not know, I’ll try translating it to German but he doesn’t know the word either. I definitely wouldn’t mind him asking, usually I just need to point and say it again like “can you pass me the whisk please?” “The what?” points “Oh great, another 18th century word no one knows!”

I really really don’t think I’m using pretentious words like he says. I’m feeling gaslit over this. My English isn’t perfect either, I don’t know everything! But instead of getting mad I just ask? What am I supposed to do, pretend I know less than I do? Or go “The book is laying on the wooden, tall table thing that professors talk from” instead of saying “the book is on the lectern” and point at it??

I don’t want him to be upset, and I always reassure him (can’t use that one either) that he’s not dumb, that I ask and google lots too, but he gets SO upset at me. I don’t think he’s stupid at all, but at this point I can’t even speak to him without fear of using a “big word you read in some book”.

So AITA? I don’t think he’s dumb at all, he’s a smart guy, but for some reason he just doesn’t have a broad vocabulary, which is FINE. But WIBTA if I stopped apologising for what I think are basic words?

Can't stop laughing at “Oh look, a bird scientist! Did you take bird classes in school??” for one of the most common birds in the world

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

drat those 18th century whisks, I hate those things!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I have a deep fondness for obscure and hyper-specific words and there is nothing on that list that remotely qualifies. He is a deeply insecure moron and she should defenestrate him immediately.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lagomorphic posted:

I have a deep fondness for obscure and hyper-specific words and there is nothing on that list that remotely qualifies. He is a deeply insecure moron and she should defenestrate him immediately.

I'm not sure what he's done quite calls for the removal of his fenestrates.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah, I was expecting something a bit different from the title. I've been called out for it before, but it was a result of teenager me spending way too much time delving into 19th century literature and forgetting how modern conversational English works.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Can't stop laughing at “Oh look, a bird scientist! Did you take bird classes in school??” for one of the most common birds in the world

I could understand not knowing what "carbon copy" means if you are 8 and have likely never seen carbon paper before, but how the gently caress does an adult English speaker not know what a treadmill or acorns are?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just love that storks are an example here. I mean, they're so commonplace and well-known that they're used in a metaphor for literal children when parents don't want to explain "sex and impregnation" to a four-year old....but yeah buddy definitely some secret arcane knowledge here, yep.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
That’s really a new low for insecurity, holy cow.

AITA for using my daughters college savings for my husbands company?

quote:

My (45F) and my husband (46M) have a 4 year old daughter Myliyah together and my daughter 18F Karliah from a previous relationship.

My daughter Karliah has a 529 college plan that I set up for her a year after I had her. My husband and I have worked our entire lives and my husband also owns a business he is the CEO of. He has workers and since COVID has hit us strong where we live, he hasn’t been able to fully pay his workers their wages and he’s been behind. Our rent payments had been late and we had been struggling to keep it together.

My husband has also been paying back his PPP loan which he is also struggling to manage. With everything happening and our financial difficulties, I dig into my daughters college savings and gave the money to my husband to pay his workers and his PPP loan back. I also needed to pay back-rent and I also needed to take out some of the money to pay for our
Daughters daycare and I needed additional money to help repair our credit.

Our daughter will be going off to college soon and we had to explain to her that she may have to go to community college because there isn’t much money left in her fund. She’s angry with me but at the same time, if it wasn’t for me she wouldn’t have had a fund to begin with We’ve been struggling financially and we’ve had to keep a roof over our heads.

Wow, so not only could the OP’s lovely husband get his PPP loan forgiven, the OP chooses her man’s lovely business over her daughter’s future and likely commits tax fraud while doing so.

She later claims that parents paying for college is a privilege, not a right and that’s why it was ok to pull the rug from under her long after the daughter could do anything about it. I keep seeing this trend of parents loving over their own kids, then using “it’s not a right” as a post hoc the explanation.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s really a new low for insecurity, holy cow.

AITA for using my daughters college savings for my husbands company?

Wow, so not only could the OP’s lovely husband get his PPP loan forgiven, the OP chooses her man’s lovely business over her daughter’s future and likely commits tax fraud while doing so.

She later claims that parents paying for college is a privilege, not a right and that’s why it was ok to pull the rug from under her long after the daughter could do anything about it. I keep seeing this trend of parents loving over their own kids, then using “it’s not a right” as a post hoc the explanation.

I wonder if OP’s former spouse contributed at all to that 529 and also if there was any language in the divorce decree about the account or college funding in general. It’s fairly common to have that in there from what I have seen verifying child support and alimony payments with divorce documents.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for hanging my laundry (including underwear) outside to dry where my neighbour's husband can see it?

quote:

I {f24} live in a terraced house. All houses on my street are identical and they all have this plain, rectangular 'garden' that you can easily see through from other houses.

When I am doing laundry, and it's a not raining, I like to hang my clothes outside as they always smell lovely after. Much better than tumble drying. The thing is, I don't care if my pants (underwear) or bra ends up hanging outside. It's one and the same to me. It's a piece of fabric whether it's my period pants or lacy ones.

My neighbour, Chantel, {f28 (yay fb for knowing things about our neighbours)} lives in a house next to mine with her boyfriend {m, 32} and their 4 kids (yes, it's loud) and he's got 2 (I think) more that visit him on the weekends.

Anyway, the other day, Chantel caught me hanging my laundry in my garden and she asked me to come over. She asked me to stop hanging my underwear outside because it's unsavoury looking.

I told her that I am sorry, it's just some bras, you can see them in any shop, it's nothing scandalous and that she can just look away if she doesn't want to look and that it's in my garden anyway.

She got annoyed with that and told me to stop pretending and that I am trying to get her man with that little trick and she caught him looking at me and to stay away from him. She called me a sneaky, skinny c word (not sure if I can say it here).

The next time I hanged my laundry, I found my bras being cut between the cups.

I was flabbergasted. It's a piece of clothing but I am willing to listen if I ma wrong. So AITA for handing my laundry?

send them victoria's secret catalogues until the bf starts cheating on her with the mailbox

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Not to defend the guy complaining about his girlfriends "pretentious language". He is clearly an insecure turd of a man getting pettily angry at his own ignorance and lashing out.

But a lot of people for whom English is their second language get taught it in idiosyncratic ways.

For example: my dad was taught English in India in the 1960s in order to complete his University studies. So he was taught the posh, colonialist 'correct' English that one would expect of the era. Meaning that when he moved to Australia he was speaking with a clipped accent and using proper polite terms and better grammar than many of his co-workers and people at the local cricket club.

So storks and whisks aside, there may be an element of that in this story.

Even so, boyfriend is clearly the arsehole, because even if she is using what he considers complicated words, there is no need to get pissy about it. A polite "Storks? No we call them 'tall skinny birds' where I'm from. A whisk? Nobody uses that phrase nowadays. They're referred to as egg-mixy-hoop-thingos" would be fine. Or preferably "Stork eh? Oh, I didn't know what that thing was called. Thank you." would be better.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

He's German American and his family speaks English, I would be shocked if he hasn't been speaking it since birth. He doesn't know some of the words in German either so he's just an insecure idiot

I mean come on a loving whisk. My family never used them and I grew up only seeing them at the store and on TV and I knew what those were. Was he raised wrong as a joke?

Also, acorns lmao

Xun fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 26, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for cutting my sisters hair

quote:

My older sister 19f has really been wanted one of the trending Pinterest pixie haircuts which is why she was wanting to book an appointment with our hair dresser but she's currently our of the country.

So she came to my 16f room while I was watching movies with our younger sister and asked me to help cut her hair, I was really tired at this point in the night but she said I would only need to trim so I agreed. I started trimming her hair a little bit in the bathroom and it was going good according to her until she stopped me so she could wet her hair, I didn't see the reason why but she said it would help me cut more evenly. So I contained cutting until I got to the other side of her head and cut the large front piece of her hair, she started freaking out saying I cut it way to short and said it's gonna be even shorter when it drys. I felt really bad because as soon as I cut the hair, I got lazy at that point with it and didn't use my fingers to measure how much I was gonna cut off and just eyeballed it. Once dried you could tell one side was shorter than the other if you looked really hard but it wasn't too noticeable for me or anyone else in our family.

The next morning we had to go out and my sister refused to talk to me saying she cried on the floor for 30 minutes and saying I ruined her hair and made her look like a lord farquaad. She wore a hoodie to cover her head but throughout the whole car ride she was upset while we tried to make her feel better but she kept saying we don't know how she feels because she said "you guys don't understand how it feel to hate the way you look and be considered the ugly sister, whenever we would go see mom and dads friends they would talk about how you three are so pretty and just ask me how schools going since I'm smart", I haven't seen her cry that much in a while which is why I feel really bad but it still hurt my feelings how she was making aggressive comments towards me for the while day, calling me an rear end in a top hat in front of everyone, saying I did it on purpose, it was my fault, and made our younger sisters not talk to me and leave me out in the conversations.

So AITA?

AITA - Seems stupid but a major issue

quote:

Ok so laundry has become a major for us. We are older so. No kids at home. I stopped doing my husband’s laundry because he was always a pita about it…. He has no underwear, he can’t find any socks etc… the deal had been he gives me his laundry, I wash, dry, fold and leave in basket. If he didn’t give it to me …. Oh wellzzzz. I went so far as to put hooks & a dresser in the laundry room to make it easy for him. He undresses and drops clothes in every room of the house. So I put my foot down and stopped doing his laundry, after talking to a councilor that asked me why I was enabling this bad behavior.

So we went to marriage counseling, he expressed that my doing his laundry made him feel loved. So I said, if he cleaned up the laundry room ( because his clothing were everywhere except in the dresser I put there) then I’d do his laundry. 2 months go by, nope. Well I’m a softy, so I started to do his laundry anyway. Today he says he can’t find any sweat pants except the 2 dirty pair in the laundry room….. sooooo I’m thinking nope…. I’m done…. I’m not having these arguments again. AITAH for refusing to do his laundry?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 26, 2022

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for cutting my sisters hair

at some point, every kid has to learn why we have barbers. sucks that this one learned at 19 and not 9, i guess

Cowslips Warren posted:

my love language is treating you worse than the help

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 26, 2022

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Kit Walker posted:

When a friend of mine was younger her family had 13 cats. To their credit, they lived in what was basically a mansion in the jungle and the cats could freely roam outside. Tragically, most of the cats were eaten by ocelots

Not death so much as ascension into larger cat form

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA For not driving an hour to bring my brother his charger?

quote:

For context, my brother and his kids (shared custody) lives with my parents and I.

My Niece (5), broke her arm when her brother (6), was messing around with a bat and hit her. My mom was supervising them at the time. Yeesh. My brother, who I'll call John, and his ex, Jane (nieces mom), plus her new boyfriend, took her to the hospital 30 minutes away. He asked me if I could bring his charger because he needs a phone in case of emergency, and to tell people on social media what happened to his kid. (All immediate family already knows. I guess he wants to tell his friends?) I told him no and to either use someone's phone or ask around for a charger. He hung up on me. It's late, I'm exhausted, and my night vision is dogshit.

I've done a lot for John. I used to drive him to and from work, 70 minutes round trip, 2x a day, 2x a week, no gas money, then babysit his kids for 3hrs and put them on the bus, all because he lost his license from how many cars he wrecked in a few months period. No DUIs, but holy gently caress he totaled 2 cars, scratched up my dad's truck, and even hosed up a car he borrowed but had swiftly repaired before the owner found out. He also struggles with substances and drinks every night after his kids go to bed. 6 pack+ every night, mixed with prescription opiates. He's never drunk around the kids, but he rationalizes and justifies his drinking anytime someone shows concern. I also walk his dog every day for 30-45 minutes. He has a new GF, but is romantically involved with his old squeeze from high school, who verbally and physically abused him. He insists he's still in love with her, but everyone keeps telling him that this girl is poison for him. He has cheated with this girl on like 2 or 3 of his girlfriends throughout the years. This chick also showed up to a family gathering, slurring and stumbling around in front of a bunch of kids. She was swiftly kicked out, but not before causing a scene. Same day she went to John's apartment and vandalized some poo poo. We keep trying to talk to him, and get him help, but he refuses and denies all his problems. If everyone says you're drunk, you're probably drunk.

Am I a dick for not wanting to drive an hour total just to give someone a charger when I know for a fact he is with people with functional phones? He has an iPhone, so would it really be unreasonable for a nurse or something to let him use one of theirs? I am so confident he didn't even ask around and expend his options before resorting to calling my mom, then calling me. Us driving to him was his first option, and I think that speaks volumes about what he expects people to do for him at the drop of a hat. I think he just wants his phone so he isn't bored, but that's just my gut feeling, as he is constantly on his phone. I care about John and want him to be happy, but he doesn't take responsibility for anything he does and does nothing but take in all of his relationships.

umm i think "i didn't want to drive for an hour in the middle of the night" would have been sufficient reason, OP

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh look, a bird scientist! Did you take bird classes in school??

Thread title please?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

quote:

“can you pass me the whisk please?” “The what?” points “Oh great, another 18th century word no one knows!”

Oh this made me cackle

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
The guy sounds like a real life Homer Simpson

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

drat, I'm glad I don't associate with who get offended by me knowing what things are called sometimes.

At the same time, it's fun to know people who don't know terms for things and end up making something up. Or even just have a brain fart and forget. My favourite was when my coworker forgot what hangers were called. She called them shirt-shoulders. And honestly, that's really kind of what they are.

Both of those people suck, is what I'm getting at.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I once got mocked for using using the fancy big word implicit at work.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My ex-wife was adamant that satire is a fancy type of clothing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

drat, I'm glad I don't associate with who get offended by me knowing what things are called sometimes.

At the same time, it's fun to know people who don't know terms for things and end up making something up. Or even just have a brain fart and forget. My favourite was when my coworker forgot what hangers were called. She called them shirt-shoulders. And honestly, that's really kind of what they are.

I don't disagree, it's just that this guy is more like "a thing clothes hang on? How am I supposed to know what that's called, gently caress you!!!"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

quote:

So I put my foot down and stopped doing his laundry, after talking to a councilor that asked me why I was enabling this bad behavior.

quote:

So we went to marriage counseling

"Councilor" just seemed like an idiosyncratic misspelling, but then she uses "counseling" later in the post. Now I want to know more about these council members that provide reasonable life advice.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My partners degree is heavily focused on birds and one of our friends was trying to describe a bird he saw in flight and he couldn't think of anything other then "dark, and flat"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My ex-wife was adamant that satire is a fancy type of clothing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You've lived a storied life.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

at some point, every kid has to learn why we have barbers. sucks that this one learned at 19 and not 9, i guess

my love language is treating you worse than the help

Worse than the help you say?

AITA for not wanting to live with my sister?

quote:

I’m 21, she’s 24. I’ve recently graduated from college. She’s currently in medical school in a different state. She’s having a tough time because of how busy she is and my parents want me to live with her for a little while. They want me to help with her things while I’m there, like chores, laundry and cooking. I am already pretty overwhelmed with some of my own mental health issues, but I was perfectly fine with staying with her for a month or two. I was fine with it until I saw my sister’s list of “rules” for me. She says that I am not allowed to leave her apartment by myself, I cannot talk to anyone in her apartment complex and I have to tell her even if I am going down the hall. She gave me the list of rules right before we were about to get on the plane to leave.

I don’t want to live with her anymore. My parents aren’t even on my side and keep trying to guilt trip me by saying that her rules aren’t that bad and that she really needs my help. It’s destroying my mental health even further. Am I the rear end in a top hat for not wanting to stay?

Ok mom, it's not so bad? Why don't you go be the slave that can't leave her room!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't disagree, it's just that this guy is more like "a thing clothes hang on? How am I supposed to know what that's called, gently caress you!!!"

I read it more as a:
"Pass me the coathanger please."
"What?"
*points*
"Oh, you mean the wire-skeleton-upon-which-rests-the-clothes. Whay are you constantly using difficult formal complicated official names for things you smartypants?"

From the original AITA story, that is. Shirt-Shoulders is a wonderful turn of phrase, and we are all guilty of forgetting common words at one time or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A friend of ours from France couldn’t remember the English word “lid” so he held up a teapot and asked “Where’s his hat?”