Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

I just gotta ask: what is an "even-tens" birthday? One divisible by 20?

Sorry, English is not my first language so I do not know the common expression for this; I just meant that his new age will be evenly divisible by 10 (ie, 70).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah but when you go out in public people are still going to think you did.

Same problem parody MAGA hats had.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Sorry, English is not my first language so I do not know the common expression for this; I just meant that his new age will be evenly divisible by 10 (ie, 70).

No worries; that makes more sense than what I was thinking.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've bought a couple of these and a few different connectors for myself and my mom. They've all stayed seated in their ports, no pulling out with the magnet; sometimes it takes a fair amount of effort to ease the plugs out if I need to use a standard cable. The magnetic release, apart from being convenient, has absolutely saved a device or two when we've tripped over a cable or tugged too hard not realizing it was plugged in. My mom swears by it for her tablet after going through a lot of cables that wore through at the neck. I only wish I could get one for my Dell laptop.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
If a good Yeezy link comes up again lmk because I’m in

I have now become a “shoe guy” at work after purchasing literally one pair of pop culture based shoes and now have an image to keep up

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I'm designing and will 3D print an organizer to hold headphones, phones, and other USB devices. I just ordered 3 sets of those magnetic USB adapters from Temu to affix to the compartments so I can (hopefully) just drop in a device and the USB cable finds its way to the connector.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

We call them round numbers usually, or referring to age people might say "big birthdays"

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

We call them round numbers usually, or referring to age people might say "big birthdays"

We always called them "decadents."

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

codo27 posted:

Please dont buy compressed air. Stop being cheap and buy the electric blower, all computer touchers/enthusiasts should own one. Absolute priceless investment.

I have this one https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Infla...s%2C146&sr=8-14

I have this same one and it's already saved me money. Compressed air cans are terrible. They stop working as they get cold so you have to rotate through like 6 of them to get anything done.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Unperson_47 posted:

We always called them "decadents."

Wouldn’t that be 10 teeth? Is that a weird autocorrect error or a joke.

a person who revels in luxury.

Apologies if this is a stupid rear end in a top hat post and I totally missed something.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

By popular demand posted:

It has been claimed that those keep on collecting tiny steel fragments from the environment until you can't connect them anymore, I'm interested in learning the truth.

Only the one in my car seems to have the opportunity to do this, and while it does interfere eventually all you have to do is rub them off and it's fine again.

engessa posted:

https://www.voltacharger.com/ has been around for a few years. No personal experience with their stuff.

Had no idea, thanks for that!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I'm surprised there's not a more mainstream company like Anker that makes these, I'm guessing must be patents or something?

I've had issues with the Lightning ones working once or twice and then never again (gave to my partner to use with her iPhone), but the USB-C and Micro-USB have all been pretty solid. The latest batch of USB-C ones I bought seem to be just a tiny bit too small to get a proper snug fit though, the little insert keep coming out of my phone's USB-C port unless I detach them kinda carefully.

They're really nice to have in the car or by the side of the bed so I can plug it in without having to look. The other major bonus is having one cable that charges pretty much everything; sadly I don't think anyone's ever going to make a mini-USB one so my PS Move controllers are going forever uncharged.

Part of the draw for me is not putting wear on the USB port and keeping it from getting crudded up (I buy my phones secondhand and tend to use them for 4+ years)!

Magnetic connectors aren’t part of the spec. I’m not going to claim to be an electrical engineer but from what I’ve read there’s a potential for static electricity discharge to occur to data line pins with these cables. Is it always going to happen, no. Apple and Microsoft have their own magnetic charging cables but they are their own standards and in their own form factors.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
is it even particularly likely? how concerned should one be? (I ordered some lol)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Bored posted:

Apologies if this is a stupid rear end in a top hat post and I totally missed something.

I assume from decade-nts. But yeah, for ESL speakers, this must be a family injoke and nobody else will understand it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

r u ready to WALK posted:

I've bought a whole bunch of these magnetic usb-c adapters and really like them, it is satisfyingly easy to poke the cable in the general direction of the plug and have it snap into place without even looking
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001620928422.html

https://i.imgur.com/8TeWOrs.mp4

I've used the magnetic adaptors but for everything except a usb-c: it's a drag to keep around mini-usb, micro-usb, lightning cables just for 1 or 2 devices so I use the adaptors for everything non-standard.

The drawback is that if you keep the adaptor permanently in the device for convienience (and why wouldn't you), it sometimes gets knocked out and might get lost. So perhaps better for a tablet etc. rather than a phone you keep pulling out if your pocket.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Bored posted:

Anne Whateley posted:

I assume from decade-nts. But yeah, for ESL speakers, this must be a family injoke and nobody else will understand it.

I was just being silly and made something up.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Mini crocs decor piece led me to this
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=UsBMGMWr5QzZ

Only registered members can see post attachments!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I know Guy Fieri set a high standard but these shoes are the beginning of a regalia for the undisputed king of flavourtown!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like the idea of the magnetic connectors but just have too many chargers in the house to deal with, plus the kids are always charging off of friends’ chargers when they’re out. Maybe someday there will be a removable tip for USB-C and I can use that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pfft, those knockoffs are so trashy, I bet they aren't even chicken scented

https://www.crocs.com/KFC.html

Accept no imitations

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My big order of crap came from Temu and my one word review is 'ehhhhhh'. I bought about 10 things totalling $50 after using the 40% discount code.

Shipping time took about 10 days or so, so not too awful. It definitely makes you think the stuff has arrived in the country a week before it has done though.

Anything made of plastic is generally pretty poor quality, I'm guessing based off real designs as the pictures tend to look good so likely stolen from elsewhere. Very simple stuff like desk tidies, little shelf things. The best thing I got was Broom Hangers which were stupid cheap and don't seem to have any issue with doing the job. I was expecting them to be poo poo, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Lego esque things I bought for a few nights entertainment don't seem as good quality as the sets I've had from Ali, but will hopefully be fun enough.

Pin badges seem decent quality too, I'm just wary of buying those as while I don't give a crap about ripping off big companies these always scream of being based on Etsy store designs. Same with a bunch of stickers, although I haven't opened the packs yet.

Two t-shirts I bought from different suppliers aren't great either. Fine for around the house but probably that's about it. Again, just cheap.

Also bought a thing to go into the car to stop so much dog hair getting in there, won't do anything for safety but hopefully won't tear in a week or two.

The overall quality of things seems a step down from Ali from what I've seen, but it could just be a crap shoot. Naturally I didn't buy anything important or anything, it was mainly just for fun.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sole Dissolving Personality Irregular Drip High-top Boots

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004453674215.html

:eyepop:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That is, indeed, irregular drip

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Looks like it was stolen from some $500 designer shoes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I want to see these shoes in action.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
wow I've never been physically revolted by shoes before

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

busalover posted:

Looks like it was stolen from some $500 designer shoes.

They’re about $500 on Ali!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a manufacturing error.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They make a Halloween vanity shoe sole but doesn't make the top bloody and gross looking, what a miss opportunity.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how long it takes to turn into a smooth sole if you actually wear them.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Looks like wax dip that we use to coat tools and stuff to protect them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Guaranteed those soles will pull apart from the boot after a month, and the rubber drips will tear off in a week.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like the meaning of drip might have gotten lost somewhere

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I could see it being boots dipped in pcb conformal coating.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I want my shoes to look like I always just walked through a crime scene.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Temu review:

Cheap polyester shirts fit ok. Sweater I ordered is way uglier than the pictures so I won't be wearing it outside without a coat on at all times, it's also itchy so I won't be wearing it without a long-sleeve t underneath. Shoes were crap and I don't recommend ordering footwear from them.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Thanks for posting about those magnetic power cables, I ordered a handful of cables and different adaptors. Providing I can convince my mother to try them they should be great for her, as she has some arthritis that can make plugging in tablets/phones a chore.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
love the magnetic tip cables but its true that the connectors picking up little ferrous particles is very annoying. Still, it's better than not having magnetic connectors

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

DRINK ME posted:

Thanks for posting about those magnetic power cables, I ordered a handful of cables and different adaptors. Providing I can convince my mother to try them they should be great for her, as she has some arthritis that can make plugging in tablets/phones a chore.

You know what? I had not thought of this use case and I think I will give one to my grandpa who has really bad arthritis in his hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

King Vidiot posted:

Guaranteed those soles will pull apart from the boot after a month, and the rubber drips will tear off in a week.

I honestly wish someone would daily drive these just to see how fast they fall apart.