Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's the second mention of long pressing an image being supposed to do anything and I've never seen that in over ten years. What is it supposed to do?
Not much -- if the image has a title attribute, it shows the title attribute's content in a small message at the bottom of the screen. I think this only applies to user avatars at the moment, so there'll be a little message that says "___'s avatar". It may have had grander purpose at some point in time.

@Flyinglemur Thank you for checking, it started (and then stopped) failing for me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Smilies too

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I guess I've seen that before after all, thanks. I was imagining something altogether more critical.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
For me the problem is thumbnails. I can't click on them to expand or open in imgur. So I can't see all the funny, witty things that make this hellscape manageable

handle
Jan 20, 2011

I was finally able to reproduce the loss of features, and just sent a patch to the developers. As a temporary fix on my device, I was able to
  • Install Android System WebView Beta from the Play Store, which comes with the WebView DevTools app.
  • Open WebView DevTools and change the WebView provider to the beta version.
  • In the Flags tab of the WebView DevTools app, search flags for EventPath, and tap to set to Enabled.
  • Fully close and restart Awful.apk. Features should hopefully be restored.
For those without the Google Play Store, I'd search for directions on setting runtime flags for your specific WebView implementation. I hope there's something like that available to y'all.

handle fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 20, 2022

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Just uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it looks like my functionality is back

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This is probably due to lovely work wifi, but I just had all avatars stop showing. I had to go to Settings > Images, turn off Show Avatars, and then turn it back on.

Running Android EMUI 8 with Webview 106.0.529.126 (524912603)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kheldarn posted:

This is probably due to lovely work wifi, but I just had all avatars stop showing. I had to go to Settings > Images, turn off Show Avatars, and then turn it back on.

Running Android EMUI 8 with Webview 106.0.529.126 (524912603)

That has happened to me pretty consistently when I'm stuck with ultra low bandwidth (like when the power goes out and everyone in town instantly jumps onto the cell network at once).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since more forums than fyad can now have sigs enabled by default it would be cool to get an app option to respect forum sigs- ie, if i phone post in FYAD or IZ it should automatically check the sig button for me, like the website does. thanks and God bless.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

since more forums than fyad can now have sigs enabled by default it would be cool to get an app option to respect forum sigs- ie, if i phone post in FYAD or IZ it should automatically check the sig button for me, like the website does.
Just sent a patch for this

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The update is waiting for Google's approval to go out to beta users now. Should hit the rest some time next week unless the update deletes peoples phones again. Wouldn't want that again.

Big thanks to handle for all the changes that you'll receive soon.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Hello I'd like to report that everything is working just fine and I love the app thanks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been having video playback issues for Twitter videos. If I go to Twitter itself the videos play fine but within the awful app the audio runs normally whole the video stutters.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Been having video playback issues for Twitter videos. If I go to Twitter itself the videos play fine but within the awful app the audio runs normally whole the video stutters.

I also have this issue but I don't think there's any accounting for twitters shittiness

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It truly is something awful

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah I've been having that issue for a while now but didn't bother to post about it because twitter is always fucky in the app

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:cheers: for the sig respecting thing

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thanks for the themeable icons :toot:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Arc Hammer posted:

The thing is, it's not all videos, some work fine. And also if you scroll while it plays the video runs normally-ish.

My guess is that they changed the video file encoding for most or newer videos and the WebView can't handle them.

I keep forgetting to save working ones to check. But in any case i don't think there will be much we can do unfortunately.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The new update has me laughing everytime I see the app icon update trying to match my 'grey' android theme to match my native google apps and lol i love it

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope that becomes an option for icons

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

:geno:
Awful

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

I hope that becomes an option for icons

I mean I set my pixel 4a to use the gray icons or whatever at the system level, and after the latest update it turned into this and I love it and Im laughing my rear end off 😐

It was mentioned in the patch notes

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My main issue is that when I turn off the feature to only show new posts, it loads up poorly and places me towards the end of the new posts and I have to wait for it to load.. which takes 20 seconds and it doesn't land at the last post I read, but a later post and I have to wait for it to load then scroll back up.

Id be happy to post a video if your not sure what I'm talking about..

Still the best way to read the forums on my Android phone.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 27, 2022

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Thank you for your work! Genuinely love you devs

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Thanks for all the hard work fixing these problems!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Also giving thanks!

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Sereri posted:

I keep forgetting to save working ones to check. But in any case i don't think there will be much we can do unfortunately.

I JUST saw one in another thread. I don't know how to check the encoding on it myself but maybe it would help you? :shrug:

https://mobile.twitter.com/cooiboobs/status/1584970518922690560

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I've not had any issues with Twitter embeds or videos, but gifs don't load anymore... It shows up with a big play button then if I click it out takes me out of the app and up view it on imgur it whenever it gives from..

I probably have some settings incorrectly configured. It used to work life 3 months ago. I bet I tagged something in settings

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I have a maybe really dumb feature request: I like having 10 posts per page. But this means that I don't know if I'm near the end of the real (40 post) page or what the real page number is. It's it possible to add a small "real page number" above the page number, or maybe have the page for as "10.4" for the last quarter of posts on the real page 10 (which would now show as 44 for me I think)?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wait, so we have an update coming at some point that adds Material You theme'd icon support? If so, that's very welcome news.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
The new themed icon states into my soul. I love it.

Thanks devs, love the app

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I got the recent update a couple days ago and the only weirdness is the Bookmarks shortcut icon widget is being a little strange. Immediately after the update installed when I clicked on the widget I got an 'App not installed' toast popup I assume from my launcher, and since then the last two mornings when I first try to use it I get that toast again and to get it to work I need to delete the widget and re-add it. Never had to do that before. Pixel 6a with Nova Launcher. No updates to Nova Launcher in that time.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I love the themed icon support. My homescreen almost matches now! I just have to get Twitter and Garmin to get on board with icon theming.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
ty for the auto select imgur image upload. i use it like 20 times a day so it'll be weeks before I stop clicking that drop-down every time though :argh:

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Red Warrior posted:

I got the recent update a couple days ago and the only weirdness is the Bookmarks shortcut icon widget is being a little strange. Immediately after the update installed when I clicked on the widget I got an 'App not installed' toast popup I assume from my launcher, and since then the last two mornings when I first try to use it I get that toast again and to get it to work I need to delete the widget and re-add it. Never had to do that before. Pixel 6a with Nova Launcher. No updates to Nova Launcher in that time.
Thanks for reporting this, another user is having a similar issue and I'm intending to look at it this weekend. I'm not sure if Nova Launcher is the built-in launcher, but if anyone encounters this, especially with a built-in launcher, please let me know!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

handle posted:

Thanks for reporting this, another user is having a similar issue and I'm intending to look at it this weekend. I'm not sure if Nova Launcher is the built-in launcher, but if anyone encounters this, especially with a built-in launcher, please let me know!

It's not the built-in, but one of the most popular third party launchers for sure.

I'll switch to the built-in Pixel Launcher for a couple days though and see if it happens with that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Red Warrior posted:

Yup, seeing this as well. Nova launcher on a pixel 7 pro. For the time being, I just swapped the bookmarks shortcut out for the standard app icon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Had the same issues, also using Nova Launcher (until the next time they update it :ohdear:)