Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The only thing I have that really counts as a real complaint about Cultic is that if you're positioned such that you're partially on and partially off a platform the game seems to prioritize you being off it and so I keep falling off stairs (especially when they switchback) and platforms that in any other game I'd be on with no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Pope Guilty posted:

The only thing I have that really counts as a real complaint about Cultic is that if you're positioned such that you're partially on and partially off a platform the game seems to prioritize you being off it and so I keep falling off stairs (especially when they switchback) and platforms that in any other game I'd be on with no problem.
Yeah I noticed that a lot too, especially when walking up stairs. My guess is the player's collision volume is a capsule shape, so once the center of mass crosses the edge, it's all downhill from there, so to speak.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Has anyone here played through Cultic on the Steam Deck?
I tried out the demo for 10 minutes just now and it seems dope, but I'm a bit concerned about performance (seemed to hold 40 but couldn't hit a constant 60) and wondering whether the full version shows prompts that match the UI on the Deck.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Foul Fowl posted:

i feel like cultic needs to stew for a bit longer in the collective brain plane, and get some more chapters out. it's better than blood in some ways, it's worse in others, but i think it nailed the #1 most important thing which is to have basic enemies that are both threatening and really fuckin fun to kill.

yeah for sure, i'm aware that a certain portion of my feelings about cultic vs blood are because i've played blood to death and cultic still has new car smell.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Cultic is almost certainly a tighter and more well-balanced game but it doesn't have much personality or levity, which is a major factor in what makes Blood a fave of mine. Along those lines I think the combat encounters in the maps are well thought out in a way that Blood can't touch, but they're also not as packed with novel/interesting/silly bits that make Build maps what they are.

All that said I think it's worth acknowledging that Jason probably isn't trying to compete against Blood and just made what he likes and that's cool.

yeah that's kind of where i come down. i think in raw gameplay cultic is tighter and a bit more satisfying, but as an entire experience blood still has the edge just because in terms of stuff that personally appeals to me, a wise-cracking undead gunslinger who sings showtunes and cackles when he blows people up with dynamite is gonna be a hard value-add to beat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Gloomwood has updated with a new difficulty setting, Blood Moon, which makes things harder, nastier and more survival horror-y, to the extent of limiting saves to Resident Evil-style consumables. In addition, the cliffs area has been expanded upon and there are new secrets to find, among various quality-of-life improvements like multiple save slots.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

skasion posted:

Wow bizarre. Could potentially spell bad news for Aleph One stuff too, new game means a new need to defend the copyright. I hope they wouldn’t be that dumb since even id can see that legacy community content is a selling point but uh. Trying to shoehorn a live service game into a dead series from the mid 90s is extremely dumb to begin with

The Kins posted:

There's no abandonwarez or reverse-engineering involved with Aleph One. Everything involved (original source code and game data) was officially released for free by Bungie.
That's also not how copyright works, skasion is thinking of trademarks.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I rushed to this thread because I've been on an old fps kick lately, doing a run through of UT99 campaign (and drilling in instagib matches so I can land hitscan shots in tf2, didn't work) and getting cultic a few days after release because I missed blood the first time and I wasn't gonna have that happen again. It's honestly loving sweet and possibly a masterpiece when you realized it was a single guy. Great purchase, glad I did it. I have a feeling the speedruns are gonna be siiiick.

Anyway, booted up a physical copy (!) of UT 2004 and it's kinda great too; the weapons have a good feel to them, if not quite as iconic as the first one but above all I honestly prefer the level design for deathmatches seeing as I can both see AND generally find people. I don't think I'm gonna suffer through the single player though. The whole team management crap is just that and your teammate AI is garbage. Even 99 had better bot reactions. A lot of milling around and staring off into space while red team takes the point 5 feet behind them in domination. Just frustrating. And I'm kinda over CTF as a format

ilmucche posted:

I seem to recall the bot commands in 2k4 weren't too bad for ddom and ctf

SeANMcBAY posted:

They weren’t. I played offline a bunch since I only had dial up at home still in 2004-2005.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Blood has style and panache. It's the FPS equivalent of a Harryhausen stop-motion film.

To me none of the boomer shooters have managed to capture an aesthetic and feeling quite like the classics. In 1998 most of these games would be B-games, with impossibly high production values for the time but B-games nonetheless.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dude holy crap, I really hope no one is sleeping on DISDAIN, that moment in the demo when you get the rocket launcher literally launched me like 20+ years back in time! :allears::hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBBVcD8oWNg

I talked smack about the models before but I was foolish, I gave it an actual shot and wow this is what I wanted from the Doom reboots all along, not that DMC character action memorize 15 ability buttons bs. (i still love you Doom 2016, at least you reined it in a bit)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Dynamite feels better in Blood still thus Blood better.:v:

it's this OP

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

For every fun fight in Cultic there seems to be a aggravating niggle that takes me back out of it again. Too-long underwater bits, the as-mentioned ropy platforming, the pathfinding AI crapping out (enemies get stuck in doorways a lot, ruining attempts to lure them into dynamite traps), those annoying poltergeist enemies that need to be hunted down ASAP, etc, etc, etc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Those enemies are spooky scary and I think the only annoying one was the in crypts.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

cultics dynamite isnt bad, i basically just use rmb -> rmb to huck lit dynamite at people. you get more independent control of the dynamites various variables (lit/unlit, time spent cooking, strength of throw) in exchange for being less user friendly. its like a less exaggerated version of the rocket launcher in Gunman Chronicles where you could configure every element of the weapon and rocket behavior and there was 0 reason to ever do it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m not great with Cultic’s dynamite. It works pretty similar to Outlaws does, but thankfully throws sensibly and doesn’t turn into a low poly cylinder as it leaves your hand. That Said, trying to use it during tense moments hasn’t worked well for me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like that you can get real wild with the dynamite if you have a minute, tearing the tape off, tying dynamite to a molotov.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I think Blood and Cultic are great games and I’m glad they both exist.

Blood needs a movie adaptation in the style of Mad God

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Deakul posted:

Dude holy crap, I really hope no one is sleeping on DISDAIN, that moment in the demo when you get the rocket launcher literally launched me like 20+ years back in time! :allears::hellyeah:

I talked smack about the models before but I was foolish, I gave it an actual shot and wow this is what I wanted from the Doom reboots all along, not that DMC character action memorize 15 ability buttons bs. (i still love you Doom 2016, at least you reined it in a bit)

dang i did sleep on this because it looks really derivative but the feel of the controls and the guns and enemies is top notch. like DUSK level

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blood is on sale on steam for like €2 👍

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Blood and Cultic are definitely both great but aside from both having old timey (though from very different eras) weapons, dynamite being an important tool, and both involving shooting bad guys in robes there's very very little common ground. Cultic is designed very consciously around weapons having a niche and presenting scenarios where you may want to take advantage of their strengths, and movement being a really essential tool to your survival. Enemies drop a lot of health and less ammo, especially for long and medium-long range weapons, so you're encouraged to get in their faces BUT you're not usually forced to do that. If you can be economical at a longer range you can often make it work in a lot of the arenas. The vibe is really different, there's a bit more humor in Blood and Caleb has a ton of personality while the Cultic protag is more of a blank slate to project yourself onto. None of this is a point against either, but they're very different games.

Personally I enjoyed the ranged arenas and "get ready to gently caress EVERYBODY up" sections in Cultic than the corridors. Asylum and Crypts were my least favorite levels, while the big open sections tended to be really fun. The opening of level 9 was a ton of fun.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Deakul posted:

I posted about it a few pages back but i loved the demo as well! about half Quake half Doom in vibe and aesthetic which is chefs kiss. Looking forward to the full version

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Convex posted:

I think Blood and Cultic are great games and I’m glad they both exist.

Blood needs a movie adaptation in the style of Mad God

This doesn't have anything to do with early FPS games but everyone that likes stop motion and body horror should watch Mad god.

Blood is amazing and Cultic looks good, will have to pick up Cultic sometime soonish.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just bought Black Mesa. Can't wait to rip and tear research and develop through HL1 again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just bought Black Mesa. Can't wait to rip and tear research and develop through HL1 again.

I enjoyed it a lot. It’s crazy it was fan made.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mill Village posted:

No and it doesn’t need them. Most low tier enemies die in one hit and the tougher ones only need to be doused for a couple seconds before they light up. The Armor and Incinerator enemies are resist to it, though. Harvesters will charge you when they get lit on fire, so watch for that.

What's a harvester, the lizard thing

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah is it blue gorilla skullface or Mr Tummymouth?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I believe the Harvester is the chainsaw man (and thus the wrapped bodies suspended from the ceiling where you first encounter one, the "harvested"). The blue gorilla is a "Brute" and mouth-tummy-man is a "Devourer".

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
So apparently there was a free Kenny vs Spenny fps called Versusville released back in 2004 that was lost to time, this video is about tracking it down again all these years later, I found the video interesting and wanted to share it, the game however doesn't look that interesting to me personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAiZm4zNqdI

You can now freely download the game again on this site: https://www.versusville.com/, they even released a patch that restores some online functionality, I wonder how many of these games exist that are completely lost and forgotten nowadays.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I believe the Harvester is the chainsaw man (and thus the wrapped bodies suspended from the ceiling where you first encounter one, the "harvested"). The blue gorilla is a "Brute" and mouth-tummy-man is a "Devourer".

Huh. Makes sense I guess. That a name you hear somewhere though? I'd love it if there's just a bunch of descriptor names because it's funny to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1585157885495226368

hehe

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Yeah it's a bit cheeky, but I'm honestly unhappy with how the mainstream gaming media took to a couple of tweets about the Series S being some kind of potato without any kind of benchmarks or evidence, meanwhile I'm seeing so much potential for what is a very affordable console.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have one (it's literally my first console ) and I'm pretty happy with it, cheap, with good controller compatible with pc, the emulation aspect, the quick resume is super nice, gamepass, etc. The only game where I thought it looked a bit too soft was A Plague Tale Requiem, but it seems is also a bitch to move on computer except for rtx 4090 owners, so that seems to be more a issue with the dev than with the machine.

Then again the complaints come more for people pushing the graphical envelope in AAA games, the type of stuff that even on a series X will be at 30fps and 1440p.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Here's some more System Shock remake footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JModI1s9lCI

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rocket Pan posted:

Yeah it's a bit cheeky, but I'm honestly unhappy with how the mainstream gaming media took to a couple of tweets about the Series S being some kind of potato without any kind of benchmarks or evidence, meanwhile I'm seeing so much potential for what is a very affordable console.
What's this about, exactly?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

What's this about, exactly?

https://www.techspot.com/news/96342-developer-blames-potato-xbox-series-s-locking-gotham.html

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i too must have missed the current mainstream gaming news

^^^ :hmm:

site fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 26, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A major AAA release has performance problems

That's it, that's the news

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lazy devs being lazy, as per

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I mean, decades ago a team somehow managed to get Resident Evil 2 on the nintendo 64. That's still the benchmark for "how in the good lord did they pull that off?" ports.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Waiting on that Turok 2 update that lets me run it at 4K 120 fps

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

Huh. Makes sense I guess. That a name you hear somewhere though? I'd love it if there's just a bunch of descriptor names because it's funny to me.

Looking around, I'm honestly not sure where the name(s) came from. Everybody seems to be calling the chainsaw guy a "harvester" on the Steam forums, and I want to say it pops up in a note somewhere, but I can't find anything specific beyond an unofficial guide https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2874973991 that gives names to everything. I wonder if it's the result of a data dive into the game's assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I hope Civvie does Half Life 2 before or at Christmas this year.

Then again, I could go for another Christmas ROTT video, but what else is there to cover there?