Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Alaois posted:

literally the exact same poo poo that happened with kris statlander's big bang theory lmao

.....you talking about the move that ends with Statlander on her knees, holding all of her opponent's weight by underhand gripping their legs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

btw jaguar yokota is still wrestling today and has apparently wrestled 44 matches in 2022 so far

she's currently the World Woman Pro-Wrestling Diana Queen Elizabeth Championship in Pro Wrestling Diana, because Japanese names for titles are amazing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont really care but ‘still wrestling’ doesnt mean much, ohtani and takayama and etc were still wrestling right up until they weren’t. debated whether to put ‘lol’ here decided against it

edit: cant remember if takayama got paralyzed on a plain old bump or it was a bad one ymmv

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

btw jaguar yokota is still wrestling today and has apparently wrestled 44 matches in 2022 so far

Sadly she's been paralysed since 1985 and wrestles like Yoshihiko.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I was going to do that move on my friend since they did it safely in 1985 but thanks to the internet I now know it's dangerous and they were lucky to walk away. Therefore we're just going to do a tombstone instead of a sit out.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

I was going to do that move on my friend since they did it safely in 1985 but thanks to the internet I now know it's dangerous and they were lucky to walk away. Therefore we're just going to do a tombstone instead of a sit out.

you think thats the only time they did that piledriver?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ringo Roadagain posted:

you think thats the only time they did that piledriver?

There's no way they did it multiple times and survived each one so yes, I think they only did it that one time.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

There's no way they did it multiple times and survived each one so yes, I think they only did it that one time.

sorry, Im an idiot and think I misread your post.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://twitter.com/GiftedMoney/status/1584986829086134272
https://twitter.com/GiftedMoney/status/1585005747284254720

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

lol yeah, I'm being a goof anyways.

Watching that move it honestly looks safe in a stupid wrestler way. If she's actually taking any of that on her head it's mostly on her forehead while she bends her head back. It probably sucks but I'd much rather do that over coming straight down on my head or having my head bend forward where you're going to have less movement in the neck.

It's wrestling, pretty much every move is a thin line between being totally safe and cracking your head open.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's wrestling, pretty much every move is a thin line between being totally safe and cracking your head open.

Like yeah sure if you do it perfectly it's fine, but the line for a sitout tombstone is much thinner than other piledriver variants. Moves aren't always going to be done perfectly, even by good wrestlers. Steve Austin both broke a guy's neck with that move and also had his own neck broken by that move. It's biomechanically harder for the person giving it to keep the recipient secure during a sitout vs kneeling, and the recipient can't self-protect by tucking their head like a normal piledriver because the other person's crotch is in their face. It says a lot about how narrow the margin of error is when you compare it to safer takes on it like the Rikishi Driver, which is still a really convincing move despite the recipient starting and landing a lot further from the mat

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Like yeah sure if you do it perfectly it's fine, but the line for a sitout tombstone is much thinner than other piledriver variants. Moves aren't always going to be done perfectly, even by good wrestlers. Steve Austin both broke a guy's neck with that move and also had his own neck broken by that move. It's biomechanically harder for the person giving it to keep the recipient secure during a sitout vs kneeling, and the recipient can't self-protect by tucking their head like a normal piledriver because the other person's crotch is in their face. It says a lot about how narrow the margin of error is when you compare it to safer takes on it like the Rikishi Driver, which is still a really convincing move despite the recipient starting and landing a lot further from the mat

it sounds to me like the problem is steve austin being involved

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Alaois posted:

it sounds to me like the problem is steve austin being involved

Yeah maybe. Owen Hart did drop Dan Severn on his head with the same move but fortunately Severn was luckier than Austin and didn't have his neck broken

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I thought the Severn pile-driver bit was a worked injury.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I thought the Severn pile-driver bit was a worked injury.

The severity was worked and the stretcher etc was an angle but according to Severn himself, Owen really did botch the move again and dropped him on his head

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
A lot of the people pearl-clutching about old joshi casually ignore (or even venerate) that Four Pillars-era AJPW would just dump people directly onto their skulls and necks on the reg.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

What do these people even think AEW does that differently from WWE at this point?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Drakkel posted:

What do these people even think AEW does that differently from WWE at this point?

Show us wrestling?

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Drakkel posted:

Employ agents that aren't afraid to bare their teeth

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I still don’t understand why people have to fold themselves into logic pretzels when they can say “I don’t like this” and move on. Fixating on the negative is inherently unhealthy.

But thank you internet denizens for continuing to provide me with a chuckle.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

my nose is bleeding send help

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

1glitch0 posted:

my nose is bleeding send help

IWC embracing the hardway

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
So wait...

AEW can't promote itself like a sport, because WWE promotes itself as something different, which is something AEW actively tries to avoid doing?

How dare they... do something different from something they never tried to do anyway?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Bonk posted:

So wait...

AEW can't promote itself like a sport, because WWE promotes itself as something different, which is something AEW actively tries to avoid doing?

How dare they... do something different from something they never tried to do anyway?

Because now they can't!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I can't read 'sports entertainment' and not hear it in Daddy Magic's voice now, someone please help

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

I can't read 'sports entertainment' and not hear it in Daddy Magic's voice now, someone please help

What's to help? Sounds right to me :confused:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

coconono posted:

I still don’t understand why people have to fold themselves into logic pretzels when they can say “I don’t like this” and move on. Fixating on the negative is inherently unhealthy.

But thank you internet denizens for continuing to provide me with a chuckle.

I figure it's because they feel like they have to have superiority in the discussion and instead of saying "I don't like this but I do like this instead" doesn't hold enough weight for them yet making things up and presenting them as fact no matter how weak the information they're based on is does.

Considering that most of them have made their identity revolve around a brand or a company or whatever, whenever any competition to or criticisms of their side arise, they just go into blind defender mode while ignoring or disregarding any of the positives of the competition or criticisms of their own side in favour of discrediting the opposition.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Coolness Averted posted:

His little pregnant pause really makes it sing

"The epitome of sports ........ entertainers"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Benne posted:

His little pregnant pause really makes it sing

"The epitome of sports ........ entertainers"

Ennerdainers* :colbert:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Hoss Corncave posted:

I figure it's because they feel like they have to have superiority in the discussion and instead of saying "I don't like this but I do like this instead" doesn't hold enough weight for them yet making things up and presenting them as fact no matter how weak the information they're based on is does.

Considering that most of them have made their identity revolve around a brand or a company or whatever, whenever any competition to or criticisms of their side arise, they just go into blind defender mode while ignoring or disregarding any of the positives of the competition or criticisms of their own side in favour of discrediting the opposition.

Yeah their personal identities are nothing more than a mishmash of brand loyalties. So when you say "I don't like WWE" they hear "I don't like you" and go crazy

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Drakkel posted:

Let wrestlers keep their first names?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/chrisobread/status/1585055244924649472

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

People just say anything.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Who actually is the worst?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

nobody, they're all equally great and anyone who says otherwise has an agenda

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drakkel posted:

wrestlers watch the show backstage while looking away from the monitor at a 30° angle instead of the full 45°

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

flashy_mcflash posted:

Me, I'm the worst

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

There’s not actual point in arguing who the worst or best was. They were all great and all had something to do with the greatness of AJPW. People just say anything.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Alaois posted:

nobody Taue, they're all equally great except Taue, but only very slightly and anyone who says otherwise has an agenda