Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Fil5000 posted:

I hope you mean Umbrella Corps because the Chronicles games were really fun.

I did. I even went and streamed umbrella corps to double check if I'm talking out of my rear end and nope, a ps3 game not even running locally has smoother aiming and better gunfeel. Shoulda just given us the DLC as an apology for never releasing re verse instead because this might be a new speedrun on a fully doa release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Or sometimes the game just says "gently caress you" and throws a boss your way ASAP.
https://i.imgur.com/ItCIzMz.mp4
:buddy:

:sickos:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Is the ReVerse that's out now different in any way from the like demo that we all played when Village came out? Have they added stuff to it or refined it in any way?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Danknificent posted:

Is the ReVerse that's out now different in any way from the like demo that we all played when Village came out? Have they added stuff to it or refined it in any way?

Going by the trailer theres re8 levels and stuff that looks way better but the rest is still there?? No idea if anyone is playing it, i cant be bothered tbh

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I hosed around with the tutorial for RE:verse followed by one random round and, uh... yeah. It's one of the things I have played this year.

It doesn't feel very good.

I'd love to know the reasoning behind making things like this, because PvP stuff in RE has an astonishing track record of being 'a bit garbage' to say the least.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
They’re just prospecting for gold. Multiplayer games offer a relatively low development cost investment for the potential to make insane amounts of continuous profit.

Of course, they’re missing that the model of the day is free to play.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Imagine not saving during a randomiser run.

https://i.imgur.com/k2oFKWl.mp4

Can't stop loling at this one. What happens if the game decided to spawn a gigantic enemy like Plant 42 or the Black Tiger in a tiny room like that?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Can't stop loling at this one. What happens if the game decided to spawn a gigantic enemy like Plant 42 or the Black Tiger in a tiny room like that?

Plant 42 is most likely locked to its usual position for cutscene reasons (not seen it anywhere else after numerous seeds). I've had two Black Tigers appear in the 'dog corridor' on returning from the Guardhouse on a different seed (and it took me a couple of passes to even realise that they were Black Tigers and not just the usual two Webspinners), but as far as those piddly bathrooms go it's either a Hunter or Tyrant so far.

Or, well, y'know, Yawn again:
https://i.imgur.com/b6JfdD4.mp4

Yawn also had a spot in the Keeper's room for some reason:

Which resulted in the spookiest jumpscare of them all:
https://i.imgur.com/wN6mpVF.mp4

You can just about hear him as he slides along off-screen and out-of-bounds. Turns out that Yawn is a terrible option for randomisation :v:

Anonymous Robot posted:

They’re just prospecting for gold. Multiplayer games offer a relatively low development cost investment for the potential to make insane amounts of continuous profit.

Of course, they’re missing that the model of the day is free to play.

Yeah but who within the RE playerbase is actually asking for this PvP stuff? The PvP in RE5 and RE6 was riddled to hell and back with imbalance, exploits, and cheaters! Umbrella Corps was total dogshit!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The very idea of Capcom trying to reinvent the wheel with these multiplayer modes is maddening when Mercenaries exists.

It's right there ffs, 4 player Mercenaries mode with all the characters from the series and extra costumes as dlc.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They have a 4 player framework right there with Outbreak. Give. Me. Outbreak.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

People still play Outbreak with each other. To this day. They know we want it, the Nvidia leak shows something is coming or was in dev at the very least for drivers to be tested but drat aren't they taking their time.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

It's right there ffs, 4 player Mercenaries mode with all the characters from the series and extra costumes as dlc.

SettingSun posted:

They have a 4 player framework right there with Outbreak. Give. Me. Outbreak.

This. Just loving give us this.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Never had a PS2 so never got to try Outbreak but drat do I want to play Outbreak with some friends goons.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

DeadButDelicious posted:

Never had a PS2 so never got to try Outbreak but drat do I want to play Outbreak with some friends goons.

I'm betting any computer can emu ps2 now, give it a shot!

The scenarios were my legit favorite poo poo about those games. My favorite part of any zombie media was always the initial Outbreak, not the aftermath, so not only was it a good classic re style game but also city escape simulator with all cool possibilities.

What if you tried to get though the subway? The woods around the city? Go to the police for help? There were so many more planned scenarios that got cut for time and I want to see them come to life one day.

E: also Yoko had original RE:2's Claire's VA and teenage me thought that was the coolest poo poo. RE2make not using the original vas will always be a bummer to me tbh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I've been doing a lot of emulation lately, it's amazing how far PS1 and PS2 emulation is. It can be accurate if you want, or you can enhance like crazy.

This is Tekken 3 native and upscaled, it's nuts.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Vikar Jerome posted:

Going by the trailer theres re8 levels and stuff that looks way better but the rest is still there?? No idea if anyone is playing it, i cant be bothered tbh

Nah, there's no RE8 levels unless they're waiting until after the early access period.

The game currently has a small playerbase. The rounds take like 5 minutes each and honestly it's pretty fun to bumble around as a fat molded and exploding on dudes.

I just 100%'d the trophies on the game (There's not many) but I had a jolly time playing it. It's absolutely not balanced at all but it's kinda fun in a party game sort of way. You're kinda playing to win but at the same time you're just tryna eat people as a fish monster thing.

RE8 Chris is a playable character though, not sure if that was added. I didn't play the beta the first time it came through.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The idea of a RE randomizer sounds cool in theory but I think certain items and monsters need to be gated somewhat gated so, like, the loving Diamond Key isn't inside the room locked by the Diamond door. Or does the mod take that into account? I'd be down for some giant spiders in a main hallway, a Hunter in the billiard room and some random shuffling of item pick ups that add to the exploration element but the more think on it, it seems like it'd be too easy to break and/or soft lock the game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The scenarios were my legit favorite poo poo about those games. My favorite part of any zombie media was always the initial Outbreak, not the aftermath, so not only was it a good classic re style game but also city escape simulator with all cool possibilities.

What if you tried to get though the subway? The woods around the city? Go to the police for help? There were so many more planned scenarios that got cut for time and I want to see them come to life one day.

E: also Yoko had original RE:2's Claire's VA and teenage me thought that was the coolest poo poo. RE2make not using the original vas will always be a bummer to me tbh.

Modern computers can very much emulate Outbreak but getting modern computers to comprehend PS2 online architecture is where all the bullshittery come from :v: There are many guides on how to get it all set up though so i'd welcome some extra goon friends to play Outbreak 2 with! I still need to complete the last scenario and it's hard by yourself!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

The idea of a RE randomizer sounds cool in theory but I think certain items and monsters need to be gated somewhat gated so, like, the loving Diamond Key isn't inside the room locked by the Diamond door. Or does the mod take that into account? I'd be down for some giant spiders in a main hallway, a Hunter in the billiard room and some random shuffling of item pick ups that add to the exploration element but the more think on it, it seems like it'd be too easy to break and/or soft lock the game.

I've yet to softlock anything with the randomiser. I mean it's thrown some incredibly unfair things my way at times, but each and every seed has been possible to finish without having to magically add any key items into my inventory -- there are the few-and-far-between shuffles that even allow you to (harmlessly) skip a few events, depending on what's placed where (e.g. no need to fight Yawn that first time if you already have the crank and crests, etc). On one occasion I was even able to leave the lab pretty much as soon as I got there thanks to an immediate Master Key discovery; everyone flew off early while that dweeb Wesker waited around down in B3, only for the entire place to just loving explode around him before he could make the big reveal.

Also, finding an early Rocket Launcher never gets old.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't played any of the RE randos except for a bit of the REmake one but randomizers in general have logic (that you can turn off if you want to use glitches and such) to stop softlocks.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Mr E posted:

I haven't played any of the RE randos except for a bit of the REmake one but randomizers in general have logic (that you can turn off if you want to use glitches and such) to stop softlocks.

Yeah, this goes for everything from Zelda randos to Metroid randos: Unless you specifically enable settings to disable such considerations, all Randomizers (of sufficient development) will have a built-in Logic that prevents generation of "impossible" runs.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
RE2 Remake Rando has a couple of... issues, but they're mostly manageable.

-ANY but especially B-SCENARIO: The Seed Generator can occasionally bug out and make impossible seeds. It's somewhat rare I think, but I usually encounter it on B-Runs where they don't give me either the Courtyard Key (to even enter the Station), or the Spade Key or Fuse to leave the East Wing early on. Nothing really to be done, just if you think you're stuck check the cheat sheet, then remake a seed if that one is broken.

-ANY: Backing out of an item pickup will usually leave a Green Herb model (not item, just the model) in the place of the item. This can bug out and clip into the level geometry, making it impossible to pick up. You usually only see this very late game. Just make sure to leave clear inventory slots. This doesn't seem to affect certain spots, and it won't affect items 'guaranteed' to be there.

-ANY: The Chess Plug spots (as in the actual plug-in, not the object itself) are a bit buggy. The default plug items are often not what they are displaying, but the initial pick-up will be that plug. Back out of picking it up to turn it into the herb model, then try picking it up again to make it the 'proper' item, otherwise you might screw yourself out of something important.

-ANY: Backing out of picking up the Herbicide Case (not sure of the name, it's the thing you use to get the herbicide to kill the plant) may make it impossible to get the item back. It's the item by default, so make sure your inventory is clear.

-LEON B: Due to Leon's costume change being tied to picking up the Courtyard Key in that area, it's a bit buggy. Do not approach that little stairwell store-room where you normally get that key with the key in your possession. At best, it will teleport you into the room for the cutscene and leave you in the room, and you can leave if you also have the bolt-cutters. At worse, you will crash the game. Leave the key in the item box and withdraw it inside the room to change your costume to the uniform.

-POTENTIAL: I'm not sure what happens if you skip summoning Mr. X to move the helicopter. It's very possible to do this as Claire, as you can and often do get the Jack Handle before going that way, and can give yourself a way out. I'm assuming it's fine, but just in case I've always triggered the cutscene to avoid any freak-outs in the game.

Otherwise RE2 Remake Rando is pretty fun. While it's lacking in enemy, door, or lock randomizers, it's a pretty fun romp. That being said, due to the nature of the game and randomization in general, the real meat of it is the changes to your playstyle in the police station. There's a few 'guaranteed' key item locations to make sure you can move around the station at least normally, but there's been some weird runs because of that.

(As an example: one Leon B rando run I did I didn't get the Spade key until way later, and thus my only way out of the West Wing of the station was through that archive room that's locked with the Club and Heart Keys, which I didn't find for a bit, until after I spawned Mr. X. Think Mr. X is bad normally? Imagine dealing with him with only like a third of the station to run around in.)

But yeah, after you leave the police station for the sewers, it starts to feel a bit on rails. All of the sewer progression, minus the plugs, are in the sewers, and usually not too far out of the way. The plugs can be anywhere, but in practice I find like four or five in the station itself, and the last one in the sewers. While rarely you might need to backtrack to the station to solve one of the lingering puzzles (most common for me is not getting the battery or detonator until the sewers) for a plug or something, it's only a time loss unless you left the Police Station a mess of enemies. And the lab's only real bit of randomization is where that power regulator machine (the one you use to turn on the power in places) spawns. Everything else required is where it normally is. It makes the lab a bit more disappointing, honestly.

Conversely, the randomization is not playing necessarily fair in regards to weapons (or theoretically health items). Since they're 'non-essential,' it's entirely possible they all spawn later on in the game, so you have to go through the police station and basement with whatever pistol ammo you can scavenge up. Or you might have a run where you get all your weapons in the main hall of the police station. It's pretty fun, since it can be a challenge dealing with the police station when your only weapon is the Magnum and you want to save ammo for it, or because you've got the Grenade Launcher and a bunch of flame rounds early and don't need to take anyone's poo poo.

(That being said, I'd recommend getting at least one infinite ammo weapon unlocked in case the game decides to screw you and put all your weapons in the labs, or worse yet, the Birkin 3 fight. I've had that happen a disturbing amount, but I've also got terrible luck.)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
The REmake door randomiser handles the potential softlocking in a pretty clever way - the only door not randomised is the door leading under the stairs in the main hallway. In every seed I've played this leads to the lab corridor with the lift up to the helipad, and the lift battery always spawns there. As a result the entire goal of the game becomes jumping from random rooms around the game looking to gather the two stone & metal objects to open that door to freedom. Its been a while since I played it but I'm fairly sure there are no keys or locked doors either, so I've never softlocked myself outside of dumb poo poo that's in theory not a softlock anyway like the 2nd floor west hallway replacing the zombies with helipad tyrants who can't be killed :byodood: (I turn off helipad tyrants as a rule of thumb because of this).

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Drawing an RE1R map. When you collect the herbicide on the outer walkway, there is clearly a cement wall at the end of the walkway. However, it is adjacent to the winding hallway with two windows on it. The in-game map shows the concrete wall kitty-corner to the windows, but spatially it doesn't make much sense to me.
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1585229292279328768

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Signalis is coming to consoles tomorrow and it looks like RE style of fun. Apparently it's gotten really good reviews too. (I read a Destructoid review that gave it 9.5).

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

I'm drawing a blank on the room next to the Rebecca save room and the Broken Shotgun room, near the stairs where the hunter attacks Rebecca. It's the keeper's room. Also, what's that massive staircase behind the wall of the Kenneth corpse corridor?

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 26, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's the bird cage stairwell that goes to the arrowhead hallway

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Ah I didn't realise it was a map of the remake mansion. I think that door is just a window in the original.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Electromax posted:

Drawing an RE1R map. When you collect the herbicide on the outer walkway, there is clearly a cement wall at the end of the walkway. However, it is adjacent to the winding hallway with two windows on it. The in-game map shows the concrete wall kitty-corner to the windows, but spatially it doesn't make much sense to me.

That's really neat to see the isometric view with the actual rooms together. The camera changes in that game confuse me so much that I have no mental images of how anything fits together spatially.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The birdcage hallway is an interesting space in the game because it is extremely spooky, you go there early but nothing ever happens. When I replayed the game on the PS4, I ended up using it a lot because I completely forgot optimal paths even though I feel like I rarely ever went there on the Gamecube.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Do the crows even attack you there? I know they do in the art gallery but otherwise that long camera angle to the birdcage couldve been perfect for spooks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One of the things I regret is that I only ever beat 1 once, maybe twice, and am not very familiar with is as a result. I tried playing a few years back now when I only had access to gfs xbox and not my PC, but didn't get all that far.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Electromax posted:

Oh yeah this looks sexy, nice work so far!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Electromax posted:

Do the crows even attack you there? I know they do in the art gallery but otherwise that long camera angle to the birdcage couldve been perfect for spooks.

They do if you antagonise them. Other than that they just sit up there judging you.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Randomisers are an interesting concept. I might look into that before starting my 863rd play through of RE1.

Different enemies from different games would be fun too. Imagine the dog window corridor only oh poo poo it's Mr X now..

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

WaltherFeng posted:

Signalis is coming to consoles tomorrow and it looks like RE style of fun. Apparently it's gotten really good reviews too. (I read a Destructoid review that gave it 9.5).

I reviewed it for Bloody Disgusting.

The "X meets Y" on it is if Chris's game in the original '96 RE was as surreal as Silent Hill 2.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Nintendo 49ers posted:

Different enemies from different games would be fun too. Imagine the dog window corridor only oh poo poo it's Mr X now..

I'd love to see this sort of thing myself, yet sadly technical reasons get in the way of that particular example, even for using different enemies from this game: 'jumpscare' encounters such as those window dogs, along with the first Hunter and 'ambush' Hunters -- like that fucker by the Tiger Statue room -- are (currently?) hardcoded enemy types for their initial appearance* (probably because they require specific animations to ensure they enter the room properly, and don't blow the game up by wandering into some off-screen out-of-bounds area and corrupting memory or whatever the gently caress else happens when things break), and are only shuffled to what the seed says they should be** if you leave the room and come back, where they're reset onto their post-jumpscare idle spawn spots:
https://i.imgur.com/1diak3L.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/Z6oMz4z.mp4
Worth noting that mutant bees reset indefinitely regardless of how many times you kill them, though in the case of any 'jumpscare' enemies, killing their initial showing will stop them from coming back as said bees.

* For whatever reason though, Closet Zombie is seemingly exempt from this, and if he's swapped out for Yawn you'll just get spooked by an empty closet!
** Bizarrely, the naked zombies down in the lab ring (the four dudes which each respawn twice) only get shuffled once, so they will come back as naked zombies after you kill them the first time. Technically they're different entities each time, and it can lead to having more than one enemy type in a room (similar to Deadly Silence) if you don't kill all four at once. I can't think of a single instance with two different/unrelated enemy types in a room at any point of the original trilogy.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 27, 2022

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just beat RE3make. Good fun, much more combat than RE2 but I still like RE2 more since you have Chris and Claire (A/B routes) and more exploration.

Since I don't really care much about ranks or so, the only thing I could ever try on a replay is to use the cheese weapons (infinite ammo) to breeze through it, other than that I think I can uninstall and go for the next game. And of course the obligatory RE4 replay before remake arrives trying out some weapons I didn't on my first playthrough.

Edit: Forgot that I never played Rev1 and 2 :doh:. So far I've played 4, 5, 6, VII and 2/3 remakes, I guess I should go for Rev1 now?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 27, 2022

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Because 'Terr' doesn't have to end with 'orist.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I reviewed it for Bloody Disgusting.

The "X meets Y" on it is if Chris's game in the original '96 RE was as surreal as Silent Hill 2.

The game proper starts with the protagonist staring at the mirror saying I have to find her. Yeah this is going to be all kinds of messed up isn't it.