Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Give it a week or so, so we know Gunn actually agreed and wasn't given some bullshit terms that he'll end up saying no to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Think he has put it on his twitter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean good for Gunn on getting to run DC entertainment or whatever, but it sucks that we're definitely not getting any more GotG stuff from him after the third movie next year.

He said long ago that he was only ever doing three.

As far as Cavill, from what I read they shot his cameo just a few weeks before. There's nothing preventing them from slipping him into Shazam, Aquaman and Flash.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

The word is Hamada resigned, he wasn’t fired.

That may technically be true, but the reporting from the trades has been pretty consistent that Zaslav wanted new leadership at DC and that Hamada knew his days were numbered, to the point where he was even shut out of recent meetings on the future of DC film projects. If he'd stayed, it's pretty safe to say that the choice would have been made for him.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean good for Gunn on getting to run DC entertainment or whatever, but it sucks that we're definitely not getting any more GotG stuff from him after the third movie next year.

tbh, my impression was that Gunn wasn't going to be involved in the MCU anymore post-GotG 3 anyway

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Karloff posted:

Think he has put it on his twitter.

I'm just waiting for Zaslav to demand Gunn break into Disney's vaults and delete GotG from existence

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

i kinda love the pettiness in announcing Gunn is taking over DC minutes after the trailer for guardians dropped

It doesn't even work that well since he's got another Guardians movie coming out! And it's not like there's bad blood with him and Marvel and they won't promote the movie or something.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gunn's even said before that like Marvel lent him a team to film the Aquaman and Flash cameos at the end of Peacemaker. He basically keeps telling us that any bad blood executive poaching rivalry between the two companies is just made up by fans.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's neat.

There's just really no reason to think Disney is in any position to feel at all threatened by what WB is doing with DC at the moment though, yeah. Marvel absolutely prints money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure with the way things are shaping up at Disco/WB nobody at Disney/Marvel is worried about anything.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1585002178124587024?t=6Be9k4HljPGanKLnc8cuKg&s=19

we'll see if they actually get to make something eventually

welp, I'm sure this will mean no more Gunn movies for the MCU after gotg 3, but on the other hand if it means dceu will actually be good, I guess I'm okay with this.

edit: oh hey second page that address my concerns!

I didn't think there'd be bad blood, just that he wouldn't have time to do mcu stuff.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 25, 2022

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Heck before 2 he also approached Fox and traded usage rights for Negasonic Teenage Warhead (weirdly Fox had rights to the character but Marvel had rights to her powers) for the rights to use Ego. Maybe it's just Gunn that can get this done, but I assume if it wasn't someone would be stopping these deals at some lovely exec level above his head.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 25, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm kind of scared that an article will come out in three days time saying Gunn couldn't reach an agreement with WB and has been let go.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This will just make the transition in a couple months when Disney buys DC easier

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

I'm kind of scared that an article will come out in three days time saying Gunn couldn't reach an agreement with WB and has been let go.

I thought that's why Hamada didn't take over - they wouldn't buy his production company.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Scaramouche posted:

The quantum realm is real small it'd be easy to build

*Kevin Feige slaps the quantum realm model off of a table*
What is this? A film set for ants?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

I thought that's why Hamada didn't take over - they wouldn't buy his production company.

That was someone else who was hired/not hired within about 48 hours.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

theironjef posted:

Heck before 2 he also approached Fox and traded usage rights for Negasonic Teenage Warhead (weirdly Fox had rights to the character but Marvel had rights to her powers) for the rights to use Ego.

Huh, I don't remember hearing that. Does that mean Ego was considered part of the Fantastic Four / Silver Surfer rights? Always thought he was more of a Thor thing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Lobok posted:

Huh, I don't remember hearing that. Does that mean Ego was considered part of the Fantastic Four / Silver Surfer rights? Always thought he was more of a Thor thing.

He was! His first appearance was in Thor. In fact, everyone thought that he was Marvel, which was why the deal had to happen, Gunn had already mostly finished the storyboarding and all this other stuff with Ego as his principal villain and then he finds out in the 11th hour he can't use him for reasons I fully don't know. So he approached Fox to work out a deal.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If it's the fight I'm thinking of, Thor's first fight with Ego, that was the era where Thor would break out into rhyme during pivotal moments. It was never said outright but I liked to interpret it as Thor freestyle narrating his own sagas in order to power up. I miss when he did that.

Edit: went back and found it

Lobok fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 26, 2022

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So a fight and flyte reaction

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So a fight and flyte reaction
Can you do me a huge favor and please go to jail

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lobok posted:

If it's the fight I'm thinking of, Thor's first fight with Ego, that was the era where Thor would break out into rhyme during pivotal moments. It was never said outright but I liked to interpret it as Thor freestyle narrating his own sagas in order to power up. I miss when he did that.

Edit: went back and found it

My absolute favorite issue of Thor. Perfect sci-fi Thor story told in like two issues. Only possibly topped by Thor getting in the middle of Ego and Galactus, like thirty issues later.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure with the way things are shaping up at Disco/WB nobody at Disney/Marvel is worried about anything.

Actually all the big corporations are freaking out a bit about the 2023 economy. Most currently have hiring freezes, some (meta) even already jumping into layoffs. I have decent visibility into some of these orgs due to my role at one. My own org has found ways to cut cost and not announce a hiring freeze but conveniently close all open roles and remove all backfills. Recession will be fun.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Definitely looks like a Groot Suit, and I’m here for it. I wouldn’t be mad if they made Rocket a muppet. Get weird.

I think there's going to be a huge backlash to using a costume instead of CG, to the point where it may get violent.

It'll be a Groot Suit Riot.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think there's going to be a huge backlash to using a costume instead of CG, to the point where it may get violent.

It'll be a Groot Suit Riot.

MODS! Ban this poster.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1585800225347837952

They just released a trailer for this movie and it's coming out in February. There's no way they're casting people NOW for this movie unless it's some end-credits teaser poo poo, right?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I’ve seen people fan cast that dude for Reed. I don’t know his work so I have zero thoughts on that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jamesman posted:

They just released a trailer for this movie and it's coming out in February. There's no way they're casting people NOW for this movie unless it's some end-credits teaser poo poo, right?

The thing is that I don't think they'd announce casting for the end-credits. You're right that it seems much too late to even be reshoots, though, so I can't imagine what else it could be unless they just didn't announce this for a long-rear end time (which is extremely possible)

Please, god, make him Reed

e: apparently he's playing some rebel leader in the Quantum Realm, according to the replies

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 28, 2022

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Joe Fisto posted:

I’ve seen people fan cast that dude for Reed. I don’t know his work so I have zero thoughts on that.

He plays this super-smart guy who overthinks everything on The Good Place and did it really well. But he also happens to be really funny and hot and charming which are basically MCU job requirements as well. He could do great at the neurotic genius stuff without making everyone hate Reed for being a self-absorbed jackass.

Ror fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 28, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Ror posted:

He plays this super-smart guy who overthinks everything on The Good Place and did it really well. But he also happens to be really funny and hot and charming which are basically MCU job requirements as well. He could do great at the neurotic genius stuff without making everyone hate Reed for being a self-absorbed jackass.

That would work for me! Probably won’t happen for the most obvious and stupid reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

They often announce casting like this well after they filmed stuff.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They should start bringing in the Council of Reeds and have them all played by fan cast guys

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Arist posted:

The thing is that I don't think they'd announce casting for the end-credits. You're right that it seems much too late to even be reshoots, though, so I can't imagine what else it could be unless they just didn't announce this for a long-rear end time (which is extremely possible)

Please, god, make him Reed

e: apparently he's playing some rebel leader in the Quantum Realm, according to the replies

If true this is the biggest waste of him I could have imagined. That would be incredibly disappointing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mikeraskol posted:

If true this is the biggest waste of him I could have imagined. That would be incredibly disappointing.

The image I saw "confirming" that was cited to a fan twitter page with no other corroboration, and the only other information I saw was that Marvel was keeping his role tightly under wraps, so I kinda doubt that's all it is, if it's that at all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

That would be up there with how they wasted Lee Pace in Guardians, Mads Mikkelsen in Dr. Strange, and Christopher Eccleston in Thor 2. Great actors in completely generic, forgettable roles who could have been used in bigger and better MCU parts.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Joe Fisto posted:

The Good Place is possibly the greatest sitcom ever, so maybe fix that?

And oh man he’d better be Reed, don’t you dare tease us on this and not deliver, Marvel.

Ror posted:

Also, he looks like a scrawny nerd but nope, ridiculously jacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c-AawAKZ14

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 28, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Jamesman posted:

It's actually extremely common for "joins the cast" reports to come out about projects that are already well into production, or have even already wrapped; there have been a bunch of these in the past few months about Ironheart and Echo alone. Doesn't mean Harper was only just cast. fwiw the prevailing rumor is that he is not playing Reed Richards or a similarly high-profile character, though I can't deny he'd be pretty good casting as Reed

besides, if it were an end-credits scene, they'd keep the casting secret until the premiere. You didn't see any "Harry Styles joins the cast of Eternals" or "Brett Goldstein joins the cast of Thor: L&T" reports, though there were rumors in the former case, at least

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 28, 2022

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I seriously doubt he's Reed. And honestly I can't really picture him as Reed either. He's not smug and unlikable enough. I've not really liked any of the fan castings I've seen of Reed to be honest. At least the actors I recognize. There's some that keep getting put out there that I just am not familiar with though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They may not be going for Smug And Unlikable. I know that us what Reed settled in to but they could easily try to make him actually likable and endearing despite being a huge nerd

Also maybe they can make Sue into a bit more of a firebrand, perhaps a bit goofy like her brother. A strong contrast to Reed.

Make Johnny a total dumbass with surprising amounts of charisma despite that

And hear me out. Instead of The Thing use Titania.

And maybe to explain where they have been reveal they are trapped in a heaven dimension and the plot us about them escaping when they realize it is actually hell

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ImpAtom posted:

They may not be going for Smug And Unlikable. I know that us what Reed settled in to but they could easily try to make him actually likable and endearing despite being a huge nerd

Also maybe they can make Sue into a bit more of a firebrand, perhaps a bit goofy like her brother. A strong contrast to Reed.

Make Johnny a total dumbass with surprising amounts of charisma despite that

And hear me out. Instead of The Thing use Titania.

And maybe to explain where they have been reveal they are trapped in a heaven dimension and the plot us about them escaping when they realize it is actually hell

Son of a bitch it took me til Titania to get that