Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tarnop posted:

The main difference is that you will never be denied a benefit or fall through a gap that the idiots designing the system didn't think of. Nor will you get the situation where some politician thinks "well we already have this means testing bureaucracy, what if we just get them to perform some other tests of deservingness". Once the bureaucratic structure exists, there's a strong incentive to find further uses for it since that is efficient

There are also a bunch of side benefits like increasing labour power by making it easier for people to change jobs or reduce hours or quit and try to create something knowing that they won't be forced to engage with a system that's only for poor people. It also defangs the implicit threat by which employers slowly erode rights.

But but do you want means testers to be jobless? Out on the streets? Think of their poor starving children! :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
There’s a lawyer here who looks just like Tim Key. He also has a goony neck beard. This lawyer cares not what the judge thinks, he needs to look good for his waifu

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Runcible Cat posted:

But but do you want means testers to be jobless? Out on the streets? Think of their poor starving children! :cry:

No, I want them tarred and feathered and dragged through the streets before a short drop

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

In one such ivory tower, a trillionaire stubs his toe, infuriated he screams "JORMBLY CRALMBS"

and dies from a rage-induced stroke.

Does this mean Corbyn is on the same plateau as God &/or Jesus Christ?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Diet Crack posted:

Does this mean Corbyn is on the same plateau as God &/or Jesus Christ?

*in Stewart Lee as Jesus voice* My child,

consider the initials

Aaahhhhhhhh

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/JackElsom/status/1585249054208167936?s=20&t=Yd_zG2gVlSk_BTJ2_LOA1g

trash party continues to be trash

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

*in Stewart Lee as Jesus voice* My child,

consider the initials

Aaahhhhhhhh

HE is politically deadened, but on the third year out of power, HE will Rise again

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol https://twitter.com/courtnewsuk/status/1585295053873889287

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I bet whoever had to sponge it off wouldn't say that

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Frankly I'm a bit suspicious that the smell didn't make her wretch at all. Worried she might be one of them wrong'uns. And yes I'm kinkshaming.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tesseraction posted:

Frankly I'm a bit suspicious that the smell didn't make her wretch at all. Worried she might be one of them wrong'uns. And yes I'm kinkshaming.
Wasn't even faeces, just some below average soup.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wasn't even faeces, just some below average soup.

This is Britain, those are the same thing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tesseraction posted:

This is Britain, those are the same thing.

The difference between ale, soup and diarrhea is a matter of taste.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

big scary monsters posted:

Whenever there's a rash of people getting angry online about Corbyn this comes back into my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbTB2J7ZQhY

Looking at Corbyn in this video, he is about 1000x more smart in appearance than BloJob but noone (as in media etc) ever seemed to criticize that loathsome creep for his appearance.
Makes me smile how almost every time I sign in to twitter, Corbyn is trending for some reason or other despite having been a mere backbencher for nearly 3 years!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If anyone's wondering, the JC article is essentially the lone wolf nutjob excuse. "Ye's obviously insane and nobody agrees with him so that's fine, whereas the thousand crimes of the hated Corbyn that only me and my dozen very right wing mates can see prove the world's gone mad and there's a left wing cabal millions strong hiding a lust for extermination behind their smiles"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It wasn't faeces it was just regular English tap water.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

*puce red, every muscle and tendon in my face straining* JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMBLE

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1585247234299678720

CRAMBLY

I know it's a relatively small point, but can I just mention how his use of the word "buffoon" specifically against a Person of Colour is pretty problematic.

Yes Kayne West is bith a person suffering serious mental health issues in the public light and also (probably) a full time bell-end. But poor choice of words used by the journalist.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What the heck is problematic about calling someone a buffoon?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

keep punching joe posted:

Did the op think it was "baboon"?

Otherwise I don't get it either

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rust Martialis posted:

Did the op think it was "baboon"?

Otherwise I don't get it either
I found one article saying African-Americans associate the word with minstrelry. Can't say it doesn't make sense if the word became associated with those acts.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I found one article saying African-Americans associate the word with minstrelry. Can't say it doesn't make sense if the word became associated with those acts.

Jim Crow:

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/origins.htm

quote:

The Original Jim Crow (Who was Jim Crow?)
Throughout the 1830s and '40s, the white entertainer Thomas Dartmouth Rice (1808-1860) performed a popular song-and-dance act supposedly modeled after a slave. He named the character Jim Crow. Rice darkened his face, acted like a buffoon, and spoke with an exaggerated and distorted imitation of African American Vernacular English. In his Jim Crow persona, he also sang "Negro ditties" such as "Jump Jim Crow."

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well yeah, it means a clown or jester, so it would be apt to use it to describe a minstrel. Now if you want to debate if West has become that, you could.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I think she was a nurse so that sort of goes with the trade.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
There's also the term "coonery buffoonery" which comes from minstrel shows and is also used in regard to modern black comedians playing on black stereotypes for a white audience; Spike Lee used it to describe Tyler Perry's Madea character for instance.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

So are you suggesting Ferris.edu's usage of the word buffoon is also problematic?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

I think she was a nurse so that sort of goes with the trade.

Student nurse but dropped out to throw poo on statues, the kinky bastard.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

keep punching joe posted:

While it depends on context, it evokes links to Minstrel Shows and depictions of black people.

Like I said it's problematic without being racist.

A good article that looks at this raises the point that of the people surveyed black people thought use of it to describe black people is problematic where as white people didn't see it at all.

https://eu.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2014/11/07/david-andreatta-buffoonery-rochester/18644001/

Amusingly enough I was aware of it because they made a joke about it on the show 30 Rock where Tracy Jordan said it was a 15th Century term for a black pirate, which as far as I can see was just made up for the show.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So are you suggesting Ferris.edu's usage of the word buffoon is also problematic?

yes you have cracked the code good job

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Shocking!

(watch from 40s if you don't want to watch the whole thing).

https://twitter.com/PeterEgan6/status/1585210585834483713

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

yes you have cracked the code good job

Well I don't understand then.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Shocking!

loving hell. That's attempted murder right there...

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Shocking!

I'm sure the local police (members of the hunt) and judiciary (members of the hunt) will bring the perpetrator to swift drinks down at the lamb and cross

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I don't see how they can get away with that on camera. Someone's off to prison surely?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yes the illegal protesters will be summarily dealt with.

Mostly shitposting, I have no actual idea.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

fuctifino posted:

loving hell. That's attempted murder right there...

Actually the driver was very scared by the sabs while sitting inside their landrover and will face no charges.
The person they hit will will need to pay the vehicle for the damage and emotional distress caused.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Looked like a Mercedes. But the person they hit looks like a nice middle class and aged lady, not some yobbo with funny coloured hair so they might get in trouble for this one.

Especially as the video shows her just sort of jogging on by and not doing anything sabby.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well I don't understand then.

Ferris is saying that "buffoon" and the concept of "buffoonery" was tied in the white supremacist psyche as being something inherently tied to blackness.

The criticism of the JC is that the usage of the term, while potentially incidental, is nevertheless tied to a racial dogwhistle.

See, for example, usage of the ostensibly racially-neutral 'thug'

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Ferris is saying that "buffoon" and the concept of "buffoonery" was tied in the white supremacist psyche as being something inherently tied to blackness.

The criticism of the JC is that the usage of the term, while potentially incidental, is nevertheless tied to a racial dogwhistle.

See, for example, usage of the ostensibly racially-neutral 'thug'

But that wasn't a quote of the word buffoon, it was them using it now as a descriptor of how the guy acted when in black face to create the Jim crow character. Maybe I'm wrong but that doesn't seem to support what you're saying, that Jim crow was a buffoon already?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Looked like a Mercedes. But the person they hit looks like a nice middle class and aged lady, not some yobbo with funny coloured hair so they might get in trouble for this one.

Especially as the video shows her just sort of jogging on by and not doing anything sabby.

Driver will need to write a letter of apology and that will be case closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1585237130867273733