Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JunkDeluxe posted:

I recommend this podcast from Mark Galeotti for people who like's listening to them
In Moscow's Shadow

I read a few of Mark Galeotti's books before, and he knows a shitton about Russia.
The podcast is mostly focusing on the high-level strategy of Russia(Putin), and everything that goes along with it. He has a great knowledge of the Russian bureaucracy, the inner workings of Russia and russians in general.
For me at least it gives me a better insight on the difference between what Russia says, what they do, and how it impacts everything.

What's his take on the current situation? Can you boil him down? Sounds interesting but finding time for a new podcast is like finding time for a new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Reportedly Wagner is trying to recruit former Afghan special forces to fight for Russia. I have long wondered if real mercenary companies will make a return. NATO doesn't want to get directly involved in the war, but a hypothetical Afghan merc company wouldn't represent NATO even if they were paid by the west...

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/10/25/afghanistan-russia-ukraine-military-recruitment-putin-taliban/?tpcc=recirc_latest062921

quote:

Members of Afghanistan’s elite National Army Commando Corps, who were abandoned by the United States and Western allies when the country fell to the Taliban last year, say they are being contacted with offers to join the Russian military to fight in Ukraine. Multiple Afghan military and security sources say the U.S.-trained light infantry force, which fought alongside U.S. and other allied special forces for almost 20 years, could make the difference Russia needs on the Ukrainian battlefield.

Afghanistan’s 20,000 to 30,000 volunteer commandos were left behind when the United States ceded Afghanistan to the Taliban in August 2021 . Only a few hundred senior officers were evacuated when the republic collapsed. Thousands of soldiers escaped to regional neighbors as the Taliban hunted down and killed loyalists to the collapsed government. Many of the commandos who remain in Afghanistan are in hiding to avoid capture and execution.

The United States spent almost $90 billion building the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces. Although the force as a whole was incompetent and handed the country over to the Taliban in a matter of weeks, the commandos were always held in high regard, having been schooled by U.S. Navy SEALs and the British Special Air Service.

Emblematic of the commandos’ pyrrhic success was the battle of Dawlat Abad, where an Afghan commando unit fought the Taliban while waiting for reinforcements and resupplies that never came in June 2021. The U.S.-trained major who led the unit, Sohrab Azimi, became a national hero when it was revealed he’d had only three days’ rest after fighting for 50 days straight before heading to his final battle.

Now, they are jobless and hopeless, many commandos still waiting for resettlement in the United States or Britain, making them easy targets for recruiters who understand the “band of brothers” mentality of highly skilled fighting men. This potentially makes them easy pickings for Russian recruiters, said Afghan security sources. A former senior Afghan security official, who requested anonymity, said their integration into the Russian military “would be a game-changer” on the Ukrainian battlefield, as Russian President Vladimir Putin struggles to recruit for his faltering war and is reportedly using the notorious mercenary Wagner Group to sign up prisoners.

A former official, who was also an Afghan commando officer, said he believed Wagner was behind Russia’s recruitment of Afghanistan’s special forces. “I am telling you [the recruiters] are Wagner Group. They are gathering people from all over. The only entity that recruits foreign troops [for Russia] are Wagner Group, not their army. It’s not an assumption; it’s a known fact,” he said. “They’d be better used by Western allies to fight alongside Ukrainians. They don’t want to fight for the Russians; the Russians are the enemy. But what else are they going to do?”

Some former commandos report being contacted on WhatsApp and Signal with offers to join what some experts referred to as a Russian “foreign legion” to fight in Ukraine. News of the recruitment efforts has caused alarm in Afghanistan’s former military and security circles, with members saying up to 10,000 former commandos could be amenable to the Russian offers. As another military source put it: “They have no country, no jobs, no future. They have nothing to lose.”

“It’s not difficult,” he added. “They are waiting for work for $3 to $4 a day in Pakistan or Iran or $10 a day in Turkey, and if Wagner or any other intelligence services come to a guy and offer $1,000 to be a fighting man again, they won’t reject it. And if you find one guy to recruit, he can get half his old unit to join up because they are like brothers—and pretty soon, you’ve got a whole platoon.”

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/AricToler/status/1584901381374328838

At this point if I was someone born in South America living in a NATO country and had regular contact with army or security organisations, I would start feeling a need to emphasize that I'm not a Russian mole. Wearing a 'not a Russian undercover agent' shirt with fresh guacamole stains should solve that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/saitomri/status/1585231346129305601

https://twitter.com/saitomri/status/1585239312584519680

https://twitter.com/saitomri/status/1585241182547767296

https://twitter.com/saitomri/status/1585248594537615361

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AricToler/status/1584901381374328838

At this point if I was someone born in South America living in a NATO country and had regular contact with army or security organisations, I would start feeling a need to emphasize that I'm not a Russian mole. Wearing a 'not a Russian undercover agent' shirt with fresh guacamole stains should solve that.

Gotta need to start testing for Russian spies by making them eat tasty spicy food.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sucrose posted:

I think it shows conclusively why bigger and stronger countries don’t just gobble up much smaller and weaker neighboring countries. Because wars are to a large degree about how engaged the population is in them, and nothing motivates people to fight like the threat of their country being annexed and culture wiped out. A country has to have some massive advantages over the locals in order to take and permanently hold territory where the populace really really really doesn’t want them there. An ruling power has to try and build legitimacy among the people it rules, and a sovereign state taking territory from another sovereign state has zero legitimacy. It would be a tall order even if the populace started out with a highly unfavorable opinion of their current government and a positive view of the annexer’s government.

Trying to control even a small territory where the population hates your guts without it turning into an endless deathpit for your occupying soldiers is hard. Russia trying to gobble up all or most of Ukraine, a sovereign state of 40 million people, was pure delusional insanity. It would have been insanity even if Kyiv had fallen in the first assault. Russia would have had its work cut out for it even if from the very start they had only tried to annex and deployed all their forces to enough of Donets, Zaporizhzhia, and Kherson oblasts to make a viable land bridge to Crimea.

That’s why the invasion caught so many major intelligence agencies like the French and the Ukrainian ones’ off guard: they were thinking “Surely the Russians can’t be this loving crazy/stupid.” Not that we can or ever could just sit back and consider the war to be a foregone conclusion; while I don’t think the Russians can exactly “win,” they absolutely can turn Ukraine into a broken wasteland full of corpses.

Turds in magma posted:

See also: the US in Afghanistan/Iraq. Even with another order of magnitude more firepower than Russia, against a country with an order of magnitude less firepower than Ukraine, it's a total poo poo show unless you commit yourself to full-on genocide.

Which is what I really don't understand. How could Russia look at the US performance in Afghanistan and think "SMO in Ukraine will definitely outperform that"
I'm getting to the point where I don't feel like I "fit in" to any particular internet camp that's fighting this war vicariously online. I haven't followed the day-by-day news but I've formed a few impressions.

First is that I don't think it's a stretch to say that the war is going really badly for Russia.

I think part of their problem is that it's more difficult generally for countries to achieve their goals in the world today by traditional means such as military power, because the world has grown more interdependent. It's not really possible for an army to occupy a country and isolate it from the rest of the world anymore, especially a country like Ukraine. One of the deadliest weapons aimed at U.S. troops in Iraq were explosively-formed penetrators made in Iran as the U.S. was fighting two insurgencies at the same time, with Al Qaeda flooding into the country from the other direction just to get the chance to shoot at Americans. Now think about all the missiles and other weapons that have flooded into Ukraine from the U.S. and Europe. Didn't the British send 6,500 shoulder-fired anti-tank rockets to Ukraine? I saw an M270 MLRS rolling down the highway on the back of a flatbed truck recently and it was probably just pulled out of mothball status and was being shipped to Ukraine. It's not a big deal -- you just grab the old junk that's still deadly and send it on its way with express delivery. So how does Russia achieve a "military solution" when the Ukrainian war effort is interdependent with the United States and Europe? It doesn't seem very likely at this rate.

A related trend has been the growing importance of soft power and cultural power in the world. The United States still has a lot of advantages here. One of the most important ways the U.S. exerts influence in the world isn't through direct military means but through cultural and political influence, which is more subtle, many Americans don't even realize it because they're immersed in it already. But this has its downsides as well. One of the consequences of the growing interdependence of the world is more homogenization of world culture into what Benjamin Barber described as McWorld. Russia pulling down all the McDonald's signs wasn't just a business decison, it was a cultural reaction in a country where enough people (who matter) are purging stuff that is too "Western." It's like a struggle for recognition in a world of increasing sameness. They don't feel the U.S. has treated them fairly -- whether you agree with that sentiment or not -- and they're saying "we exist, we're Russians, you got a problem with that?"

It's a phenomenon that is happening in different forms all over the world. And it's happening in Ukraine too. Part of their struggle is not just to fend off a Russian invasion, it's struggling for the West to recognise them that they're *not* Russians, that they're different, and they're ready to prove it. How does Russia defeat that? That doesn't seem very likely either. There are some cultural conflicts that pattern-map onto the war, with the pro-Russian side saying the Ukrainians are simply wanting to become Western clones. But I don't think that's how it's interpreted in Ukraine because this war of cultural sovereignty is tied up in a distinct Ukrainian identity and language that is actively being formed and asserted by the conflict. And this is creating new fissues in Central Asia when Putin visited the regional summit and the presidents of these countries were telling him "you can't treat us like second-class countries anymore." Because the international system is not synchronized with Russian concepts, it's difficult for Russia to convince other countries to do what it wants. At the same time, there's another contradiction in that there has also been an assertion of a Russian cultural identity in Donbass (or even Soviet identity often enough, of which the Russian Federation is the inheritor).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, War Mapper as well is saying that the Ukrainians have made progress on the Luhansk front in recent days. I wouldn't call it a Russian collapse, though - the gains made by Ukraine have been modest so far.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, War Mapper as well is saying that the Ukrainians have made progress on the Luhansk front in recent days. I wouldn't call it a Russian collapse, though - the gains made by Ukraine have been modest so far.

Still, it's a sign that things are moving again after a brief pause (which I assume was largely Ukraine resting its troops). And the way things have gone before has been reasonable gains leading to a sudden big surge, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

The Lord of Hats posted:

Still, it's a sign that things are moving again after a brief pause (which I assume was largely Ukraine resting its troops). And the way things have gone before has been reasonable gains leading to a sudden big surge, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

I think the most notable thing is that 2 months after the Kharkov rout the same "shell, push, surround" strategy is still working. Given that this is ground they've held for months, and they know where the attack is coming you'd expect them to be able to halt it or at least inflict heavy enough casualties that they're forced to regroup. If this continues it's going to be a brutal, dispiriting winter for the Russians.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That's a really good article and it's kind of wild because, in retrospect, a lot of the rumors about just how full Belarusian hospitals were with Russian service members was a lot truer than I think most people dared to believe early on. It took months for the full scope of the mauling that Russia took in the first weeks of the war to really sink in and be comprehended. Sure there were rumors of entire units getting wiped out and the sheer quantity of wreckage and the footage of traffic jams of ambulances in Belarus leaving train depots made it clear that some pretty extreme stuff was happening, but idk I always took any wild-seeming claims of extremely heavy russian casualties with a huge grain of salt because those numbers always get inflated. Except when they weren't and it actually was that bad.

I'd only read the tweets but yeah that's a great article ( https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/10/europe/belarus-hospitals-russian-soldiers-ukraine/ again for anyone else). I'm not convinced by the argument that it draws Belarus more integrally into the actual warfare though. I couldn't find any details at all about the actual numbers, but it looks like even hundreds of injured Ukrainian military are also being treated in Germany ( https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/ru...FZ79ljye0ro1zpF and https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2022/07/27/us-military-to-treat-wounded-ukrainian-troops-at-landstuhl-hospital/). I imagine they are trying to keep it OpSec for just how many people that they are treating.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Seems like Russia only has so many missiles and drones to blow up Ukrainian infrastructure with? I wonder how frequently they can make the kind of those attacks.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I feel silly for asking but why is it even noteworthy that Belarussia is healing Russian soldiers? Like.. Russia attacked straight from their territory already, Russia is using their airbases. What is so significant about having some doctors heal some wounded men?

I get it from the article that it is an oppressive regime and the docs do not want to heal the Russian soldiers. They feel they are somehow forced to contribute to the war while they are not soldiers and do not want to do so but.. Why is this situation a noteworthy scoop? The idea that docs need to escape the country to talk about healing the soldiers is several times more noteworthy for me than the actual fact of them doing it.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

As a Medic, I don't understand the controversy at all. Treating the wounded is kind of a universal prerogative.

There's certainly a lot of wounded Russians in Ukrainian hospitals, too.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

SirTagz posted:

I feel silly for asking but why is it even noteworthy that Belarussia is healing Russian soldiers?

It's further data on how heavy Russian casualties were early on in the war.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Daduzi posted:

Also an interesting and well-researched article that includes a video interview with the medic who escaped Belarus with the X-rays (that I have not watched yet bc in office)

I don't think things have to be controversial to be interesting or worth writing about :shrug:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Seems like Russia only has so many missiles and drones to blow up Ukrainian infrastructure with? I wonder how frequently they can make the kind of those attacks.

Sadly Ukraine also has only so many power plants.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Daduzi posted:

I'd add that it gives insight to Russia propaganda: They can't be telling folks "Oh, the war is going swimmingly" if the TV news is full of pictures of human interest stories of brave russian soldiers suffering in the hospital. Kinda like that thing from the Naked Gun series where Leslie Nielsen told folks to stay calm, there's nothing to worry about (in front of a exploded burning building)

So, they shuffled em out of sight (Literally, to another country) and hoped that there wasn't enough leaks of scuttlebutt (such as a soldier texting home "Hi Mom, I'm severely wounded, in hospital Belarus with a bunch of my mates") that the proleteriat wouldn't have a reason to disbelieve the propaganda they were being told

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

I'd add that it gives insight to Russia propaganda: They can't be telling folks "Oh, the war is going swimmingly" if the TV news is full of pictures of human interest stories of brave russian soldiers suffering in the hospital. Kinda like that thing from the Naked Gun series where Leslie Nielsen told folks to stay calm, there's nothing to worry about (in front of a exploded burning building)

So, they shuffled em out of sight (Literally, to another country) and hoped that there wasn't enough leaks of scuttlebutt (such as a soldier texting home "Hi Mom, I'm severely wounded, in hospital Belarus with a bunch of my mates") that the proleteriat wouldn't have a reason to disbelieve the propaganda they were being told

I think the much simpler explanation is that they used Belarus as staging area for the attack on Kyiv, so they brought their casualties there because it was the nearest thing with hospital care and along the road. There was plenty of reporting about Russian casualties being taken to Russian hospitals in the regions bordering Ukraine, too.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

saratoga posted:

I think the most notable thing is that 2 months after the Kharkov rout the same "shell, push, surround" strategy is still working. Given that this is ground they've held for months, and they know where the attack is coming you'd expect them to be able to halt it or at least inflict heavy enough casualties that they're forced to regroup. If this continues it's going to be a brutal, dispiriting winter for the Russians.

Also that the strategy of filling up the frontline with fresh conscripts hasn't stopped Ukraine from achieving gains. Has there been any news on conscripts receiving actual training? I haven't been as diligent following the news the last few weeks, was it just a complete shitshow, or did at least some training happen for some of the conscripts?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Newsnewsnews

More on Belarus, other intelligence insights. If anyone gets behind the paywall plz link. Also would appreciate commentary on source site reliability from any EE posters - https://ekspress.delfi.ee/artikkel/120088276/mikk-marrani-viimane-intervjuu-luurejuhina-teeme-seaduslikult-ebaseaduslikke-asju
https://twitter.com/holger_r/status/1585194818313277441?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ
https://twitter.com/holger_r/status/1585194822704705542?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ
https://twitter.com/holger_r/status/1585194826953527296?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ
Yes Russia did a nuclear EDIT for accuracy: response exercise. No it's not reason to Clancychat
https://twitter.com/CameronJJJ/status/1585257699784392706?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ
Speaking of Nuclear - IAEA says there's no evidence that Ukraine is building at dirty bomb at two of the sites Russia claims it is
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1585202483307368448?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
They keep pushing the line though
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1585212510357295104?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
Russia apparently going full war economy...7 months in - Moscow Times article source for the below: https://www.moscowtimes.eu/2022/10/25/putin-poruchil-zapustit-voennuyu-ekonomiku-a25703
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1585188434351919104?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ
From the Moscow Times Article:

quote:

Russian President Vladimir Putin held the first meeting of the coordinating council to meet the needs of the Armed Forces on Tuesday.

Speaking via video link to 19 members of the new "politburo", which included Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin, 6 deputy prime ministers, three ministers and heads of all security agencies, Putin said that the country was facing "serious challenges" and the economy was under "unprecedented restrictions" , which together requires a complete revision of the mechanisms of government.

“Life itself is pushing us to <…> updating all procedures, all administrative procedures, everything related to what is called “management” in the broadest sense of the word,” Putin said.
In fact, Russia is moving to a "military-type economy," a Finance Ministry source familiar with the situation and the Kremlin's plans told Faridaily . This means that "everything related to development - infrastructure, education, health - all this goes by the wayside," he explains. And the war remains in the foreground.

Budget expenditures under the national defense item this year will exceed the original plan by a third, or 1.2 trillion rubles, to 4.2 trillion, and next year they will be increased by another 300 billion rubles.

Even stronger - 1.5 times - will increase the funding of internal security forces, which will ensure the stability of the regime. The “national defense” item, where the budgets of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Russian Guard, investigative bodies and special services are sewn up, will grow a record for the entire modern history of the country, to 4.2 trillion rubles.
I would think Russia has enough dead bodies to deal with without stealing another one but :shrug: Insider article source, in Russian: https://theins.ru/news/256416 - Occupation officials confirmed it.
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1585267747520495617?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ

quote:

The Russian military stole a monument to Prince Grigory Potemkin and his remains from the St. Catherine's Church in Kherson. This was announced by the head of the occupation administration of the city Vladimir Saldo.

According to him, cultural objects were taken to the left bank of the Kherson region. Together with the monument to Potemkin and his remains, the military in Kherson stole monuments to Alexander Suvorov, Fyodor Ushakov and Vasily Margelov.

Earlier, RIA Novosti Krym wrote that the monuments to Suvorov and Ushakov were taken away "in order to preserve unique works of art from the shelling of the Armed Forces of Ukraine." Shortly before this, the editor-in-chief of the Russian Forward portal, Sergei Grigorov , called for the evacuation of them, as well as museum exhibits and the most valuable books.

Potemkin - the founder of Kherson, who died on October 5, 1791 on the way from Iasi to Nikolaev. On November 23, his embalmed body was buried in the Catherine's Cathedral in Kherson.
Speaking of museums - boat tweet
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1585190336225513472?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
https://twitter.com/Herman_Caron/status/1585216540760121344?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
Revenge for the Potemkin theft? Lol probably not but partisans at work
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1585242646683193344?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ
Also already posted I think but Ukraine confirmed to have NSAMs, plus some bonus railway sabotage.
https://twitter.com/TWMCLtd/status/1585185711778824192?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ
More POWs coming back - shows there's still communications open about that at least
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1585260034896068609?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ
French news documentary on how Russian POWs are held in Ukraine - untranslated but still interesting to watch regardless
https://twitter.com/MaryseBurgot/status/1585130671009210368?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
Good thing :unsmith: Jose Andres is a treasure
https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1585275402213277697?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ
Another nice thing
https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1585169668121427969?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 26, 2022

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Unfortunately I'm paywalled on the e-paper, but have the paper version (haven't had a chance to read it yet). The source is entirely legit, It's the only Estonian weekly doing investigative reporting. The same paper recently published a longform consisting of interviews with acting and former Baltic counterintelligence officers. It's been translated, I'm sure it popped up here as well. If you haven't read it, absolutely take the time and do. It's grim reading.

I have no doubt the above article will be translated as well in due course.

https://twitter.com/kajakallas/status/1582038329578516480

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

KitConstantine posted:

Newsnewsnews

Yes Russia did a nuclear test. No it's not reason to Clancychat
https://twitter.com/CameronJJJ/status/1585257699784392706?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ
Speaking of Nuclear - IAEA says there's no evidence that Ukraine is building at dirty bomb at two of the sites Russia claims it is
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1585202483307368448?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
They keep pushing the line though

"Nuclear test" has a very specific, non-ambiguous meaning, and this was not a nuclear test. We have two treaties, one from 1963 and one from 1996, that both have "Nuclear Test Ban" right in the title (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_Nuclear_Test_Ban_Treaty, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Nuclear-Test-Ban_Treaty).

The only countries to have conducted nuclear tests since the comprehensive test ban (and they are not signatories) are India, Pakistan, and North Korea.

Russia is a full signatory of the "Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty" and has not performed any recent nuclear tests full stop.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I'm surprised that soldiers could get genuinely radiation poisoned in the Chernobyl forest areas after such little exposure. It shouldn't be that bad any more.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Feliday Melody posted:

I'm surprised that soldiers could get genuinely radiation poisoned in the Chernobyl forest areas after such little exposure. It shouldn't be that bad any more.
It's pretty safe, provided you don't dig around in the radioactive dirt and kick a bunch of radioactive dirt and dust into the air and breathe it for several weeks straight. Which is exactly what they did.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Feliday Melody posted:

It's a Bad place to dig trenches in.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

KitConstantine posted:

French news documentary on how Russian POWs are held in Ukraine - untranslated but still interesting to watch regardless
https://twitter.com/MaryseBurgot/status/1585130671009210368?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg

There's not much groundbreaking info in it, the quotes from the POWs are the most interesting part, one guy was captured in February after an ambush. They get two hours of Ukrainian television a day and the quoted POW basically says he's confused because the Russian authorities told him one thing, but the television shows him the opposite. Says he finds it all very unclear.

Some guys lost legs due to mines, but the Ukrainians are giving them treatment for it. The red cross has visited the camp, but hadn't released an official statement on it.

All in all I think the Russian POWs are getting a very fair treatment, compared to what Ukrainians captured by the Russians must be going through.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

Digging in and ingesting dirt in the most contaminated areas probably increased their exposure by a lot. Also making food with wood for fires and water gathered in the area seems like it would be...bad

Military focused stuff

Map/position update stuff
https://twitter.com/KyleJGlen/status/1585222226814865408?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
From WarGonzo, may his foot be ever painful - tweet translation: ""... Ukrainian troops advanced in the Dzherelny area. Danger for the Russian army and from Stelmakhovka. There is the shortest distance to the R-66 highway." https://t.me/wargonzo/8903" I don't telegram at work so I don't know if there's more
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1585180622863347712?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1585189105201483777?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
Real Girkin? Still gone-kin
https://twitter.com/mr_gh0stly/status/1585225643297423361?s=20&t=1OTd7iNXPceKItsCMasAmg
Complaints by Spetznaz - could probably translate the telegram posts linked in the tweet
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1585231324041707520?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
Whole bunch of wrecked equipment - also from a Russian source
https://twitter.com/AlexRaptor94/status/1585201700696395777?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
Excerpts from the Washington Post article about the Wagner head and his talks with Putin from yesterday
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1584853494980579330?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg

:hmmyes: please fight

Same article as posted earlier but I thought it was worth posting excerpts. It's an intense read - descriptions of torture, assault, life under occupation by Russian forces
https://twitter.com/saitomri/status/1585231346129305601?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg

quote:

In a floral notebook, an unnamed staff officer left a sketch of a cartoon soldier and mused about going home. The book’s 91 handwritten pages contained other information, too: coordinates of Russian intelligence units, records of calls from commanders, details of battles, men killed and equipment destroyed. And accounts of a breakdown in morale and discipline.

In all, the bunker yielded thousands of pages of documents. Reuters reviewed more than a thousand of them. They detail the inner workings of the Russian military and shed new light on events leading up to one of President Vladimir Putin's most stinging battlefield defeats: Russia’s chaotic retreat from Ukraine’s northeast in September.

In the weeks before that defeat, Russian forces were struggling with surveillance and electronic warfare. They were using off-the-shelf drones flown by barely trained soldiers. Their equipment for jamming Ukrainian communications was often out of action.  By the end of August, the documents show, the force was depleted, hit by death, desertions and combat stress. Two units – accounting for about a sixth of the total force – were operating at 20% of their full strength.
The Balakliia force included a commandant responsible for keeping the local civilian population in check. He is identified in the papers by an apparent pseudonym, Commandant V. “Granit” (Granite). He oversaw at least one interrogation centre where civilians were beaten and questioned using electric shocks, according to six former detainees and Ukrainian officials.

Reuters verified the authenticity of the documents by visiting five abandoned military outposts in northeast Ukraine whose coordinates were recorded in the cache. In each instance, local residents confirmed that Russian forces were stationed there. Reuters reporters also interviewed five soldiers who served in the Balakliia force, and cross-checked details in the documents with a contemporaneous account kept by one of the Russian servicemen.
In an office opposite the police station, relatives of prisoners sometimes petitioned the Russian known as Commandant V. “Granit” to free their loved ones. Tetiana Tovstokora, 57, a school principal, said her husband was turned away when he sought information about her detention, which lasted several days. None of the detainees and families interviewed by Reuters had any success in swaying “Granit.”

Under occupation, much of the policing of the population fell to the force from separatist Luhansk. It was a rag-tag group with even fewer resources than their Russian counterparts, the documents show. One Luhansk corporal was 64 years old. Another fighter was treated for finger wounds after the chamber of his Mosin rifle exploded, a medic wrote. The rifle was developed in the late 19th century and went out of production decades ago, as Reuters reported in April.
The notebook also recorded the desertion of Roman Elistratov, a corporal in the 9th motorised rifle regiment, which felt the full force of the Ukrainian onslaught. Elistratov didn’t respond to messages from Reuters. Later, the author wrote of a soldier who deliberately shot himself in the hand to avoid further action. Command should be notified of the incident, he added.

None of these details [Kedit:including some discussion of a platoon commander that refused orders and was reassigned] made it into the official reports seen by Reuters.
Faced with increased Ukrainian attacks [Kedit: per the article HIMARs were moved into the area around the end of July], the Balakliia command set about drafting in more troops, according to daily reports and records in the staff officer’s handwritten notebook. Yet a spreadsheet dated Aug. 30 showed that the force was at only 71% of full strength. Some units were far worse off, according to the same spreadsheet. The 2nd assault battalion had 49 personnel. It should have had 240. The 9th BARS brigade, an irregular unit, was at 23% of its intended manpower.

Another spreadsheet tracked equipment. Where there had been five drones on July 25, by the end of August there were only two. Eight armoured personnel carriers were reduced to three. The force had four “Fagot” anti-tank weapons systems left, down from 24 at the end of July. The one “Zoopark” system they had for suppressing enemy electronics systems was gone by the end of August.

Plakat Junior 888, the Russian officer interviewed by Reuters, described trying to fight off successive Ukrainian attacks during August without adequate supplies. The small calendar he kept in the trenches during his three months rotation paints a dire picture. Days were marked with scribbled notes saying “Attack” and “Escaped from encirclement” or bearing the names of comrades killed in action. Aug. 27 was marked simply as “the worst day.” That, he said, was when their position came under heavy artillery attack, and one of his friends died in his arms.

“There were no supplies of munitions or drones,” he said of the situation in late August. Ukrainian forces mounted attacks, but “our artillery was not working in response.”
Ukraine’s counter-offensive began in earnest on Sept 6.
Nataliia and Viktor, an elderly couple who live less than 300 metres from the bunker, said they heard constant Ukrainian strikes in the final days of the occupation. When the attacks ceased on the 8th, the couple saw 30 soldiers, many of them wounded, limping along the road in retreat. Two other residents said they saw Russian soldiers throw away their guns and abandon their vehicles as they ran away.

“It was just chaos,” said one of the two locals, Serhii, who lived across the street from the command headquarters. “There was a traffic jam” of fleeing Russians, he said.

The last, undated notebook entries by the anonymous staff officer are reflective.

“If you sit and look at the river for long enough, you will eventually see your enemies floating by,” he wrote.

One page later, he appears to be imagining his life in the future, in a city on the Russian border with China, 7,000 km from Balakliia.

“I went home on Aug 10, 2023, I’m already home with my family,” he wrote. “I’m having a nice time in Khabarovsk with my family, with my wife and my girls.”
Mariupol. Fuckin hell. Note - just pictures of graves with crosses on them, nothing graphic. Account does occasionally post for-real graphic content but none today minus two videos of military equipment blown up from a distance posted hours and many tweets before the below post
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1585287360186654721?s=20&t=1OTd7iNXPceKItsCMasAmg
Sturdy :stare:
https://twitter.com/AlexRaptor94/status/1585171737003851776?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
Bridges: no longer safe
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1585189769927340032?s=20&t=4MQ1IyxeGOWI_Rb-E4NOfQ
Forgot this in the more news-y one, but still really cool. Poster is the head of the Ukrainian Railway Administration
https://twitter.com/AKamyshin/status/1585173347025186818?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg
And a nice thing to close, as I like to do when I can
https://twitter.com/NewVoiceUkraine/status/1585210928676876289?s=20&t=RkrMSZmwh8J867V849eztg

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 26, 2022

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

FMguru posted:

It's pretty safe, provided you don't dig around in the radioactive dirt and kick a bunch of radioactive dirt and dust into the air and breathe it for several weeks straight. Which is exactly what they did.

I am a CBRN operator. I was under the impression that their stay was brief. And that the soldiers poisoned at the time was mostly overplayed in an attempt to escape the war.

Certainly, breathing in the dust would increase exposure by around 30-fold. I thought they weren't there for very long.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Menschsein posted:

Unfortunately I'm paywalled on the e-paper, but have the paper version (haven't had a chance to read it yet). The source is entirely legit, It's the only Estonian weekly doing investigative reporting. The same paper recently published a longform consisting of interviews with acting and former Baltic counterintelligence officers. It's been translated, I'm sure it popped up here as well. If you haven't read it, absolutely take the time and do. It's grim reading.

I have no doubt the above article will be translated as well in due course.

https://twitter.com/kajakallas/status/1582038329578516480

Just read that article, and Jesus. Yeah, its grim but it sure stinks of uncomfortable truth. It'll be a hard pill for the West to swallow but I think we're going to have to if we expect this war to be anything but a first salvo in a long loving slog.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
They dug trenches in the Red loving Forest. That area is hot as hell below the surface. The zone is safe as long as you don't picnic in the moss, but digging is still very ill-advised.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Feliday Melody posted:

I think if you just wander through there on foot and stick to roads it's not so bad, but driving heavy vehicles offroad and digging fighting positions is likely to stir up some very unpleasant things.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Re:
https://twitter.com/holger_r/status/1585194814680993792

Financial Times seems to have summarised the article

FT summary posted:

Russia’s nuclear rhetoric ‘requires full attention’, Estonia’s spy chief says

Mikk Marran warns Moscow’s claims of Ukraine preparing a dirty bomb ‘was out of pattern’

The likelihood that Russia would resort to using a nuclear weapon in its war on Ukraine was “higher than a couple of months ago” and “requires full attention”, a top European spy chief has warned.

Mikk Marran, head of Estonia’s foreign intelligence service, said the use of a nuclear weapon was one of Russian president Vladimir Putin’s “potential scenarios for escalation”. The recent series of calls from Moscow officials alleging Ukraine was preparing a “dirty bomb” — a conventional explosive laced with radioactive material — for use on the battlefield was “out of pattern”, he warned.

“The likelihood of [Russia] going nuclear is certainly more than zero and higher than a couple of months ago,” Marran said in an interview with a small group of journalists.

“It’s a priority issue... The intensity of [Russia’s] rhetoric is strange,” he said of Moscow’s dirty bomb claim. “Whether [the Russians] are actually planning a false flag or [something else], we don’t know. But certainly this is out of pattern and requires full attention.”

The comments underline the nervousness in western capitals following a flurry of calls over the weekend initiated by Russia’s defence minister Sergei Shoigu with counterparts in UK, France, the US and Turkey about the Russian allegations.

Washington, Paris and London, the three Nato nuclear powers, issued a statement on Monday to reject Moscow’s accusations that Kyiv was making a bomb as “transparently false”. They have warned Russia against using them as a pretext for escalating its aggression on Ukraine.

Marran, who is known among his western peers for his frontline understanding of Russia, said the aim of Moscow’s nuclear sabre-rattling was to deter the West from aiding Ukraine, but that “giving in to Russian nuclear rhetoric would only increase Russian demands [which] would never stop”.

He said Estonia’s security services had not seen any increased “preparedness from the Russian side to go nuclear, but obviously some of our western partners have more capabilities on that front”.

But he also cautioned that “when analysing Russia and the activities of the Russian leadership, we tend to do it in a very pragmatic western way of thinking and in case of Russia, we can’t exclude that they will do it anyway”.

Marran, who steps down next week after seven years leading Estonia’s foreign intelligence service, also said the risk of Russian attacks on European energy infrastructure had “increased considerably”.

European countries have stepped up military patrols to protect energy supplies in the North Sea in the wake of the apparent sabotage of the Nord Stream pipelines in the Baltic Sea.

Marran said that although the cause and perpetrators of the pipeline explosions were being investigated, “we’re in a new reality where we can’t exclude similar attacks in future”.

The Estonian intelligence chief said he remained confident Ukraine would win the conflict, although Russia remained a threat to European security as long as it “retained its imperialistic ambitions”.

“Putin’s plans in Ukraine haven’t changed,” he said. “He’s still on a kind of a religious or messianic mission. And we see that Putin is preparing his country and its army to continue fighting for a long, long time.”

That includes drafting thousands of fresh troops to fight in Ukraine. Some of them have been moved to neighbouring Belarus, although Estonia’s assessment was that it was for more of a training mission than to launch an attack on Ukraine.

“Russia lacks officers . . . so they’re using Belarusian instructors to prepare the mobilised manpower,” Marran said. “Of course, Russians being in Belarus also keeps Ukrainian forces alert . . . and will continue taking some of the resources from the Ukrainian army.”

Of the Russian troops who have received rudimentary training and been deployed to Ukraine, Marran said most of them would probably be killed or wounded in the coming weeks and months.

However, Russia uses what Marran called “Darwinian principles” to train its armed forces. As a result, some of the newly mobilised soldiers would “survive, learn how to fight and they’re going to be probably a problem for Ukraine,” he said.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

They dug trenches in the Red loving Forest. That area is hot as hell below the surface. The zone is safe as long as you don't picnic in the moss, but digging is still very ill-advised.

Yeah it was this, IIRC there were aerial photos of their positions and some pictures released as well. Just the absolute stupidity is baffling.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah here we go:

https://twitter.com/raging545/status/1511615423560749058

https://twitter.com/tpyxanews/status/1512067022129012742

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep thank for digging that up :D

I was there on a tour last year and the red forest area is absolutely one of the spiciest, to the point where you don't want to hang around too long even just on the paved road. I don't know exactly how bad it would be to dig up dirt there and if it would be enough to get acute radiation poisoning but it's not pretty.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

I'd be curious as to what exact vehicle that is. MRAPs are designed to fall apart like Legos, which absorbs the blast and protects the crew. That looks like a more conventional armored vehicle that I wouldn't have thought would be able to take a mine hit so we'll.

That second video got me right in the feels. No translation needed

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Wonder what he means by this. Ukraine certainly doesn't control the Antonivskii bridge in the traditional sense, probably not the Nova Kakhovka dam either. They're both in long-range artillery range but they're not physically in control of each crossing made on the bridges.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dirt5o8 posted:

I'd be curious as to what exact vehicle that is. MRAPs are designed to fall apart like Legos, which absorbs the blast and protects the crew. That looks like a more conventional armored vehicle that I wouldn't have thought would be able to take a mine hit so we'll.

That second video got me right in the feels. No translation needed

As the tweet says, that’s a VAB. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A9hicule_de_l%27Avant_Blind%C3%A9

kemikalkadet posted:

Wonder what he means by this. Ukraine certainly doesn't control the Antonivskii bridge in the traditional sense, probably not the Nova Kakhovka dam either. They're both in long-range artillery range but they're not physically in control of each crossing made on the bridges.

That would be a normal turn of phrase for Ukrainian, to say that they control [what’s going on] the brides as they’ve trained artillery on them.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As the tweet says, that’s a VAB. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A9hicule_de_l%27Avant_Blind%C3%A9

That would be a normal turn of phrase for Ukrainian, to say that they control [what’s going on] the brides as they’ve trained artillery on them.

Derp, thanks! Looks like it was recent upgrades that added mine protection to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/mariamposts/status/1585291355424788480

A thread on some Russian stereotypes of Ukrainians; might be of interest to some people.