Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Do nothing, and the chuds would still go "These people are stealing OUR MONEY to spresd their globalist religion, and the corrupt government does NOTHING!! Because they are controlled by Zion!1!" and such.

All things being the same, might as well clean house of the actual grift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still lol that TikTok only exists because Facebook bought and killed Vine.

Is there anything better than posting? *keyboard chords* Yes, going outside.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That NYT expose on NYC Yeshivas seems to have brought down scrutiny from all angles.

NY state is investigating the education standards and possible abuse and the federal government is coming down on them for fraud.

Regarding the one in Williamsburg, I practically guarantee more charges or enforced changes will be incoming if the investigation went in deep

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Staluigi posted:

Regarding the one in Williamsburg, I practically guarantee more charges or enforced changes will be incoming if the investigation went in deep

They are still investigating a network of 10 schools run by the same organization. So, they will most likely get some additional charges if they were doing anything like the Central United Talmudical Academy was pulling.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not polled very often, since it's rarely a significant political issue. But when it does come as a political issue, voters are pretty consistently skeptical of debt ceiling increases, and typically want them to be paired with spending cuts. Moreover, they largely don't realize the importance of debt ceiling increases, and have no idea how bad it would be to fail to raise it.

Of course, this isn't coming from an educated position about the debt ceiling. For the most part, voters don't know what the debt ceiling actually is - but that just means that they're relying heavily on their gut response to the word "debt". Naturally, they have no idea that failing to raise the debt ceiling would mean default.

Moreover, there's indications that voters don't even realize that the GOP's debt ceiling brinksmanship risks sending the US into default. At the very least, they don't seem to realize that the GOP are the ones pushing for default.

That lack of voter knowledge does mean that strong messaging could probably have some impact. Sufficiently strong push polling can come up with >50% approval if they load the question heavily enough; pointing out that the GOP raised the debt ceiling several times during Trump's administration proved to be a particularly effective message, probably because it swayed Republican respondents who had overwhelmingly opposed it when they thought it was a Democratic policy. But two weeks before election day is not the time to start trying to change voter's minds on a policy.

This is all very interesting and it goes to the fact that misinformation has always been present. Political ads are basically just lies with a small kernal of truth on the right. On the center, it isn't much better. I don't really know what left wing ads would be like because we don't really have a left in this country.

More education on civics and economics in highschool would be better but we have one party and a part of the other party trying to push charter schools and actively trying to defund public education not to mention that we fund our schools in the stupidest way possible. We also have horrible media that wants to portray either crazy talking points as on the right, or a straight horse race on CNN and MSNBC. Not to mention they tend to do sensational stories because talking about pure economics and the debt ceiling or how our government actually functions is not compelling to most people even though they should probably know this before casting a ballot. We talk more about cultural issues in the media than actual policies and knowing which politicians and parties care about which policies is a good way to figure out who you should vote for rather than letting it devolve into red team blue team partisanship.

Maybe some sort of truth in advertising for political ads, especially those found on facebook and twitter could help this coupled with a robust civics and humanities program in schools. Its honestly scary how little most people know about most of this subject matter and I constantly need to remind myself that I am the weird one for knowing even a small amount about politics in this country.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If you really want to depress yourself ask people to explain legislative, executive and judicial branches. Civics education is an absolute joke.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

They are still investigating a network of 10 schools run by the same organization. So, they will most likely get some additional charges if they were doing anything like the Central United Talmudical Academy was pulling.

Ok. Yeah. It's going to pull up some poo poo then, for sure

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

I'm really enjoying woke Christopher Titus. I think he's lobbying to become our generation's George Carlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtQpACzZn5I

Our generation? How old do you think goons are on average?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

bird food bathtub posted:

If you really want to depress yourself ask people to explain legislative, executive and judicial branches. Civics education is an absolute joke.

Ugh, this reminds me that some of my city’s council members can’t seem to grasp the difference between legislative and executive actions. Even after city attorneys had explained it to them multiple times :sigh:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 24, 2022

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

The executive branch commands the military and issues orders to deal with fast-developing situations, the judicial branch makes the laws and determines the rights of citizens, and the legislative branch begs for funding.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I've been reading DnD for years and I'm not sure if I could answer that question well myself or if the above post is a great answer.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

PhazonLink posted:

I've been reading DnD for years

Imagine admitting this.

Edit: In all fairness, DnD busts out some banger megaposts or threads that aim to try and rectify this information, but it is in our nature to poo poo post and destroy even the most noble of attempts. It does not help that a lot of this poo poo appears very arbitrary (which it is) without a lot of context and awareness around this poo poo, and we have failed as a democracy in properly educating our populace and building a society in which the time to participate in and be an active part of politics is at a level that can support a true democracy. The materialist reality of capitalism does not allow for this because it could interfere with profits.

TaintedBalance fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 25, 2022

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

yronic heroism posted:

Our generation? How old do you think goons are on average?

Rarely look at the "I actually use forums, like the bbcode rear end poo poo" crowd and see a lot of zoomers

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Byzantine posted:

The executive branch commands the military and issues orders to deal with fast-developing situations, the judicial branch makes the laws and determines the rights of citizens, and the legislative branch begs for funding.

Uh...unless I'm mistaken, the legislative branch writes and enacts the laws, and the judicial branch interprets them (albeit very creatively these days).

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
All religions are fraud. It's why any time government money gets spent on religious institutions, there is fraud. Lying to people to get their money works with the government, too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

selec posted:

No, I’m saying racism and racists beliefs are completely orthagonal to the material realities.

Nobody’s opinion about Jewish people moves an iota from this story, because it’s not a story about Jewish culture or life, it’s a story about insular, controlling groups.

Nobody ever worries the nearly identical stories you could write (and sometimes are written) about denim skirt cults or Mormon offshoots would damage the image of those groups, because we all know who the in-group is, and those people, however odd, are in it.

Racists don’t actually look at the stats first and become racist, they look at the stats later to try and make astrology fit the measurements.

On top of this the threat of 'don't make us look bad in front of the majority' is used by said controlling groups for their own controlling purposes. See also Obama and Cosby going 'pull up your pants' again. Actual facts do not matter to bigots, people doing horrible poo poo every day goes without comment unless it can be useful for a narrative that already exists with or without it.

TaintedBalance posted:

Imagine admitting this.

Edit: In all fairness, DnD busts out some banger megaposts or threads that aim to try and rectify this information, but it is in our nature to poo poo post and destroy even the most noble of attempts. It does not help that a lot of this poo poo appears very arbitrary (which it is) without a lot of context and awareness around this poo poo, and we have failed as a democracy in properly educating our populace and building a society in which the time to participate in and be an active part of politics is at a level that can support a true democracy. The materialist reality of capitalism does not allow for this because it could interfere with profits.

Oh, it's not a failure, it's a very successful obfuscation.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Uh...unless I'm mistaken, the legislative branch writes and enacts the laws, and the judicial branch interprets them (albeit very creatively these days).

I think you're missing the joke about how six unelected law priests now rule our society's legal system while a revolving door of senators take in lobbying money on the 362 days of the year they are in recess and personally enrich themselves while doing literally nothing for the people they claim to represent

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Russia rejected the proposed prisoner swap with the U.S. and denied Brittney Griner’s appeal in court.

She now has to serve the entire 9 year sentence in a Russian penal colony.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1584888857413271552

quote:

A Russian court on Tuesday denied WNBA star Brittney Griner’s appeal and upheld her nine-year prison sentence on drug charges.

Griner, 32, looked despondent as she appeared at the hearing in the Moscow Regional Court via video conference from the detention center where she has been held since her arrest in February. The athlete is now expected to be moved to a penal colony.

Griner’s conviction in August was decried by the United States, which has said the athlete is being wrongfully detained. The denial of her appeal will see hopes for Griner's release shift to the potential for a high-profile prisoner swap.

In a statement read out in court, Griner, a two-time Olympic gold medalist who plays for the Phoenix Mercury, said that she “did not intend to do this,” but understood the charges brought against her. She said she hoped it would be taken into account that she “did plead guilty” in the case.

The athlete said she hoped the court would adjust her sentence as she described her time behind bars as “stressful” and “traumatic.”

The WNBA star had been “quite pessimistic about the outcome” of the appeal ahead of Tuesday’s hearing, one of her attorneys, Maria Blagovolina, said Monday.

Griner had held hope there would be a reduction to her sentence, but did not believe the verdict would be overruled, Blagovolina said on MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports.”

Griner, a two-time Olympic gold medalist who plays for the Phoenix Mercury, was sentenced in August to nine years in prison on drug charges.

She was detained at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport in February, after Russian authorities said they found vape canisters with cannabis oil in her luggage.

Griner pleaded guilty in July but said that it was an accident, that she had brought them to Russia unintentionally and that she had packed hurriedly for a flight. Medical cannabis, which is illegal in Russia, is legal in most of the U.S.

U.S. officials say Griner is being wrongfully detained. State Department spokesman Ned Price called the judicial proceedings “largely shambolic” Monday.

“Wrongful detainees are by definition wrongfully held. They are used as political pawns, as leverage,” Price said. “It is our goal to see them home as soon as we can.”

Griner's wife, Cherelle Griner, has said Brittney Griner is being held hostage.

The U.S. has proposed a prisoner exchange with Russia for the release of Griner and another American, Paul Whelan, a corporate executive who has been detained there since 2018, two sources familiar with the matter said. The deal would include the U.S.’s releasing imprisoned Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, the sources have said.

When she was detained, Griner had been in Russia to play for a Russian Premier League women’s team, UMMC Ekaterinburg, as she had done since 2014.

Lawyers for Griner filed an appeal in August, after she was sentenced.

In April, Russia released American Trevor Reed in exchange for the U.S.’s releasing Russian drug trafficker Konstantin Yaroshenko, who had been sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Reed, a former Marine, was sentenced to nine years in prison in Russia in 2020 after authorities there said he assaulted a Russian police officer after a night of drinking. Reed and his family have maintained his innocence.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Some straight up villain poo poo happening to her

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ben Sasse's first few days on the job resulted in a ton of protests around his office.

Now, the U of FL is just banning indoor protests and telling all news organizations who want a comment to see their statement announcing his hire.

Honestly, I'm still really confused why the University of Florida thought it was so important to hire him that they did it secretly with no other candidates or why Sasse was so eager to leave the Senate right now when he was 4 more years left on his term.

It really seems like a lot of trouble for everyone involved for no real gain. Except for Sasse getting a bigger salary.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1584955479654105089

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
University executive positions these days are mostly a way to funnel large amounts of public money into private hands. They probably arranged it for him as friends.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Ben Sasse's first few days on the job resulted in a ton of protests around his office.

Now, the U of FL is just banning indoor protests and telling all news organizations who want a comment to see their statement announcing his hire.

Honestly, I'm still really confused why the University of Florida thought it was so important to hire him that they did it secretly with no other candidates or why Sasse was so eager to leave the Senate right now when he was 4 more years left on his term.

It really seems like a lot of trouble for everyone involved for no real gain. Except for Sasse getting a bigger salary.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1584955479654105089

It's because the current NE Governor wants to be in the Senate and his handpicked successor can appoint him to the empty seat.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Well, if there's anything we can rely on college students for, it's historically never violating any prohibition on where and when they're allowed to protest. Problem solved.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Zophar posted:

It's because the current NE Governor wants to be in the Senate and his handpicked successor can appoint him to the empty seat.

Clarste posted:

University executive positions these days are mostly a way to funnel large amounts of public money into private hands. They probably arranged it for him as friends.

Sure but neither of these explains Florida as the destination, or why they did such a poo poo job in hiding the fact that he was installed, or why he didn't just wait until a few months before the end of his term or whatever.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

skylined! posted:

Sure but neither of these explains Florida as the destination, or why they did such a poo poo job in hiding the fact that he was installed, or why he didn't just wait until a few months before the end of his term or whatever.

Florida had an opening and is a flagship university with pay to match.

The board of trustees of a public institution can't really hide appointing someone to be president any better than they already have; only recently was having a secret search committee possible.

The opening is set to be Jan 2023, so if he waited he'd miss the window.

Gadfly
Dec 21, 2018

"It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact."
Has there been any news on student loans? I thought there was going to be a decision made today but I am not finding anything when I do a google search in the past few hours.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gadfly posted:

Has there been any news on student loans? I thought there was going to be a decision made today but I am not finding anything when I do a google search in the past few hours.

Today was the deadline for the states/MOHELA counsel to submit their arguments for an injunction. Decision will probably be tomorrow or Thursday.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Heard some of the zeldin hochel debate on the drive home from work (I don't live in NY or I'd be able to spell their names) and hoo boy as enraging as one would imagine. Zeldin straight up advocating for dropping the hammer on 'those people', because we all know democrats want to treat people with too much compassion which drives them to doing crimes. Fear is your only god on the radio.

Yes, it was enraging because it made a Democrat seem like an obviously good choice stop asking.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Odd that FIRE found time to make 7 tweets and a column today about McInnes at Penn State but are silent on this affront to Individual Rights in Education.

:iiam:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Jon Stewart is attacking Hunter Biden for corruption now

https://news.yahoo.com/video/jon-stewart-says-hunter-biden-192720712.html

Seems like a weird tack for him to take

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The 'corruption' Hunter Biden was maybe involved with is the tamest poo poo compared to anything the Trump kids did on a daily basis for 4 years

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

pencilhands posted:

Jon Stewart is attacking Hunter Biden for corruption now

https://news.yahoo.com/video/jon-stewart-says-hunter-biden-192720712.html

Seems like a weird tack for him to take

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 'corruption' Hunter Biden was maybe involved with is the tamest poo poo compared to anything the Trump kids did on a daily basis for 4 years

I mean, both of these can be true. Hunter Biden only got that job because of his parents.

Kim Kardashian is only rich because of her parents.

There's no evidence that Hunter Biden actually did anything at Burisma or influenced U.S. policy, but it's not like cashing in on your family name is an inherently honorable and noble endeavor.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FlamingLiberal posted:

funny thing is that as far as anyone can tell, nobody giving him money got an iota of access to his dad

so either he was scamming whichever company that was or, imo more likely, they were scamming other entities they dealt with by pointing to Hunter and pretending he could do corruption, lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just really don't care either way. The government needs to go after the Trump kids/Jared Kushner for breaking all kinds of laws while Trump was in office. But that's probably not going to happen at the federal level.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
If you want to poo poo on Biden theres like 15 better angles

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hunter Biden and Beau Biden are actually kind of interesting case studies in psychology and trauma. Both Hunter and Beau basically said that nearly dying and being trapped in a crushed car with their mom and sister's dead bodies changed their lives. Beau became a teetotaler, went to law school, joined the army, did volunteer work, opened a charity, married his college sweetheart, and ran for Attorney General. Basically, the most stereotypical clean cut political resume ever and was practically a Mormon. Then, he ended up tragically dying from a crazy rare brain cancer in his early 40's, which is a 1 in 200 million chance.

Hunter ended up into every drug imaginable, constantly in debt, scamming his parents, trying to hit on his dead brother's widow, trying to kill himself in front of his wife, being lovely to his kids, and having several children with random women that he did not acknowledge. Basically, every stereotype of a "dirtbag" in our society. They were raised by the same parents, same genetics, and the same traumatic near-death experience shaped their lives, but they turned out very different.

Both pretty sad stories for different reasons, but kind of wild how they ended up not just different, but literally on polar opposites of the spectrum.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hunter Biden and Beau Biden are actually kind of interesting case studies in psychology and trauma. Both Hunter and Beau basically said that nearly dying and being trapped in a crushed car with their mom and sister's dead bodies changed their lives. Beau became a teetotaler, went to law school, joined the army, did volunteer work, opened a charity, married his college sweetheart, and ran for Attorney General. Basically, the most stereotypical clean cut political resume ever and was practically a Mormon. Then, he ended up tragically dying from a crazy rare brain cancer in his early 40's, which is a 1 in 200 million chance.

Hunter ended up into every drug imaginable, constantly in debt, scamming his parents, trying to hit on his dead brother's widow, trying to kill himself in front of his wife, being lovely to his kids, and having several children with random women that he did not acknowledge. Basically, every stereotype of a "dirtbag" in our society. They were raised by the same parents, same genetics, and the same traumatic near-death experience shaped their lives, but they turned out very different.

Both pretty sad stories for different reasons, but kind of wild how they ended up not just different, but literally on polar opposites of the spectrum.

also as part of his being the good politically minded son, Beau helped one of the DuPont heirs get away scot-free with raping his own three-year-old daughter.

brain cancer is an awful way to die. on rare occasions it happens to someone who has it coming.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

also as part of his being the good politically minded son, Beau helped one of the DuPont heirs get away scot-free with raping his own three-year-old daughter.

brain cancer is an awful way to die. on rare occasions it happens to someone who has it coming.

Daughter and son. The guy admitted raping his son to the cops, which apparently makes the case shaky or something.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

selec posted:

Daughter and son. The guy admitted raping his son to the cops, which apparently makes the case shaky or something.

i should amend my statement for full factual accuracy: he did not get off -entirely- scot-free, he did have to pay a cash fine, for the rape, of his own children, which he admitted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

The judge is who sets the sentence. The AG's office initially indicted and asked for 8 years. Renee Hrivnak was the prosecutor on that case.

Beau Biden defended the prosecutor who worked the case, but wasn't prosecuting it. The only major pedophile case he prosecuted directly was Earl Bradley.