Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Vermain posted:

yeah, unreal 5 is genuinely incredible if you're aiming for photorealism. don't think the pipelines are there quite yet for behemoth AAA productions but small hobbyist games like paranormal tales can take advantage of all its bells and whistles right now

Can't wait to see another six dozen games of 'spooky house with jumpscares and gyrating models' except with incredible realism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Can't wait to see another six dozen games of 'spooky house with jumpscares and gyrating models' except with incredible realism.

I wonder, with sufficient canned realism otherwise will lovely animations wrap back around into being scary?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Haven't plugged one of my favorite games in a while, but anyone who wants "horror vibes without necessarily being SCARY", check out Paradise Killer.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

BurningBeard posted:

Considering these games would have been part of my partner’s introduction to the hobby—I’ve been running her through lots of genres and tones to see what sticks and she loved AI: The Somnium Files—I think I dodged a bullet.
Have they played The House in Fata Morgana? That VN rules and I distinctly remember it being pretty tame, especially for an anime game.

Death Mark looks pretty cool and I'll probably give it a shot once it's on sale. I figure if it's on the Switch it can't be that bad...right? :ohdear:

Enemabag Jones fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 26, 2022

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Has she played The House in Fata Morgana? That VN rules and I distinctly remember it being pretty tame, especially for an anime game.

Death Mark looks pretty cool and I'll probably give it a shot once it's on sale. I figure if it's on the Switch it can't be that bad...right? :ohdear:

No but I’ve had my eye on it as a possibility. What’s the deal with it? All i know is that it’s well liked and pretty dark.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Fata Morgana's kind of a dark romance anthology tied together by the main plot. There's some pretty heavy horror elements, especially in the second and last stories, but I wouldn't say it's full-on horror. The art and music are fantastic, and I'll vouch for the story being really, really drat good.

There's a handful of story elements that might require a warning, but I think it's handled tastefully and I genuinely don't think there's any fanservice to speak of.

Just don't play the sequels. They're not offensive, just bad.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Have they played The House in Fata Morgana? That VN rules and I distinctly remember it being pretty tame, especially for an anime game.

Well it's certainly not tame on the gore :ohdear:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stealing from the weird/awesome fan art thread

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Maybe then you wouldn't die so often, *Maria*

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

If nothing else the remake will give us a whole batch of new memes and fan creations. New fans too hopefully

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I never played any of the Silent Hill games myself, but the remake will probably get me to give it a try

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First games pretty cool

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

SH4 is good enough that it's worth slogging through the parts that are not so good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I never played any of the Silent Hill games myself, but the remake will probably get me to give it a try

SH1/2 are classics, though i think waiting for the remake's the best option now given how the graphics and controls haven't exactly aged gracefully

it's a shame SH1 isn't getting the remake treatment given what a landmark it was, but SH2's just stuck way more in the public consciousness

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

SH4 is good enough that it's worth slogging through the parts that are not so good.

It's also only like $10 on GOG.com. Maybe even wait for a sale. It's worth that much.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hope you like it! You'll get to experience Akira Yamaoka's music, which alone is a nice experience

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vermain posted:

SH1/2 are classics, though i think waiting for the remake's the best option now given how the graphics and controls haven't exactly aged gracefully

it's a shame SH1 isn't getting the remake treatment given what a landmark it was, but SH2's just stuck way more in the public consciousness

Yeah, a lot of my problem was not having any of the hardware to play most (all?) of the series when it was active, then not having the investment to go back and try later re-releases. I've been getting more interested, and more inclined to give potentially spookifying games a try more recently, though.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
There's always Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition, an excellent fanmod that brings the PC version up to modern standard. You will of course have to use the legitimate copy of Silent Hill 2 PC that you already have at home but the mod itself is free and painless to install and currently the best way to play the game.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Can vouch for Enhanced Edition. Runs beautifully on my PC and looks/sounds fantastic, especially for its age.

Gave me the fright of my life in the labyrinth at 1am when my dog decided to sneak up on me and bark, the utter rear end in a top hat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the labyrinth is a masterpiece of minimalist design. just bare wood corridors where the walls are a little too close and the ceiling a little too low

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Idk if I just bought all the horror games but the steam sale looks pretty bad.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Oxxidation posted:

the labyrinth is a masterpiece of minimalist design. just bare wood corridors where the walls are a little too close and the ceiling a little too low

I adore the SH2 Labyrinth. It's the exact same pacing trick the game deploys repeatedly from the opening area onward, by putting you in a new environment that FEELS very unsafe and alienating, such that you constantly expect some sort of dramatic escalation that never actually happens.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Morpheus posted:

How's that Yomawari: Midnight Shadows (on sale on PS4 for 55% off)? I assume there's no need to play the first? And how does the game hold up - I've seen someone play the first hour of the first game, seems like some spooky stuff, how does the game hold up through the experience?

Yomawari's great. The sequel is standalone, yeah, but those games are one of the few examples of something that genuinely captures the vibes of Silent Hill. You're walking around a big, dreamlike city, you can't see that far ahead of you and the creepiness is like dread crawling under your skin rather than just spooky monsters (though there are plenty of those too).

There are certain parts that can be a bit frustrating, but the sequel is a big improvement in terms of game design, so I definitely recommend it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
SIGNALIS is releasing in a few hours and I went ahead and made a thread for it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Playing Pathologic 2 at the moment.

Incredible game. The spookiness and mystery of the town is incredible, and I love how weird and opaque the characters and structure of the game are.

I am struggling a little with the hunger mechanic though. I've reached Day 3 and basically burned through all my resources. I've done some light reading and it seems like always buying foods from vendors rather than bartering, looting or engaging with the towns deeper economy is about the worst possible thing I could have done, so I might re-start.

It's an intense game though and it's taken me the best part of 10 hours to reach this point, so I could maybe do with a break before re-starting. The release of SIGNALIS might be the best incentive to take a break, as that looks exceptional.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

BurningBeard posted:

No but I’ve had my eye on it as a possibility. What’s the deal with it? All i know is that it’s well liked and pretty dark.

Fata Morgana is great, but if you're coming from Somnium Files, warning: this visual novel is way more on novel and way less on visual than AI. It's a great story, but if you're not prepared, you might find yourself wondering when all the animation, or the travelling from location to location to gather evidence, etc, is gonna start or something... but no, most of it is really just a straight up novel with some art and seemingly photo filtered backgrounds. You can't really influence the story at all, not even the order in which the protagonist does anything.

(and also: trigger warning for basically everything you can think of except animal violence. No animal violence here, but it's pretty heavy on everything else.)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cultic is a good horror game but it always feels weird recommending one with good gameplay.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nintendo 49ers posted:

Playing Pathologic 2 at the moment.

Incredible game. The spookiness and mystery of the town is incredible, and I love how weird and opaque the characters and structure of the game are.

I am struggling a little with the hunger mechanic though. I've reached Day 3 and basically burned through all my resources. I've done some light reading and it seems like always buying foods from vendors rather than bartering, looting or engaging with the towns deeper economy is about the worst possible thing I could have done, so I might re-start.

It's an intense game though and it's taken me the best part of 10 hours to reach this point, so I could maybe do with a break before re-starting. The release of SIGNALIS might be the best incentive to take a break, as that looks exceptional.

Yeah you really should not be spending money if you can. The Before I Play for this might be helpful

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Pathologic_2

Tha being said, Pathologic is very much a game about being constantly broke and starving so yeah you're more or less living the intended goal, even if it's suboptimal.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah you really should not be spending money if you can. The Before I Play for this might be helpful

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Pathologic_2

Tha being said, Pathologic is very much a game about being constantly broke and starving so yeah you're more or less living the intended goal, even if it's suboptimal.

Some great tips there, thanks.

I feel that Pathologic 2 is an intentionally miserable experience by design, and there's no getting away from that or the intensity of its resource management. However if you ignore all the ways that design is actually, well, designed to be balanced in the right way - as I have - then by Day 3 it just feels like firefighting a status bar. There's a thin line between struggling for resources on the games terms, and struggling for resources because you've not met the game half way or interacted with it properly for multiple hours. The latter is where I'm at.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Saturnalia is out now and is getting good reviews, though I'm probably not going to get to it for some time. Available for free on EGS, if you're on PC.

https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/1585647518473490433
https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1585648011064926208

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Just started up Evil Within 2 last night and other than quitting out during the intro bit right before hitting the save point to do something else and having to replay the whole intro sequence... had a pretty good time so far.

Only a couple of questions for things I'm curious about that aren't immediately obvious:

1. Do the melee damage upgrades affect sneak attacks, or are sneak attacks just static amounts of damage you can't change? Basically are the melee upgrades actually worth it.

2. Seems like the game showers you in weapon parts a bit, can you fully upgrade everything or do you need to favor a few weapons if you want the EX upgrades?

Not really a scary game tbh, but it's got some solid set pieces so far and even forced sneaking bits haven't felt too bad at all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SkeletonHero posted:

There's always Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition, an excellent fanmod that brings the PC version up to modern standard. You will of course have to use the legitimate copy of Silent Hill 2 PC that you already have at home but the mod itself is free and painless to install and currently the best way to play the game.

Can vouch for Enhanced Edition. Runs beautifully on my PC and looks/sounds fantastic, especially for its age.

Gave me the fright of my life in the labyrinth at 1am when my dog decided to sneak up on me and bark, the utter rear end in a top hat.

I tell people about this all the time, it's really a true remaster of the OG. I don't even feel bad if they need to get the discs less than legitimate ways because there is no legitimate way to get them (The HD version is terrible).

It's a true fan project that they have invested a ton of time in. I really, really recommend it - even if the remake is decent, I really can't see it being better than the E.E.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hey that cool body cam game in develoment, Paranormal Tales?

https://kotaku.com/bodycam-horror-spooky-paranormal-tales-pt-steam-1849711720

quote:

The devs say the game will definitely feature jump scares, anxiety, and maybe even spiders.

That's a big gently caress no from me, even no for watching a streamer. It sucks because otherwise the found tapes thing is so my poo poo :(

The spiders are #1 but the jump scares are up there. I know I'm in the minority but just give me a creeping dread kind of found footage game

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 27, 2022

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gave Scorn another go and got sucked back in due to what little of the story I've pieced together. Feels like I'm getting close to the end now despite some difficult combat sections. Became so much more manageable once I realized there's really no upside to not running away were possible.

As preparation for Silent Hill Townfall, I'm going to check out NoCodes other two games, Observation and Untold Tales. The Steam Bundle for both is on sale for only $16, which seems like a pretty good deal.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

glitchwraith posted:

As preparation for Silent Hill Townfall, I'm going to check out NoCodes other two games, Observation and Untold Tales. The Steam Bundle for both is on sale for only $16, which seems like a pretty good deal.

It absolutely is

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I've put 5 hours into SIGNALIS so far and it owns.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Tired Moritz posted:

Idk if I just bought all the horror games but the steam sale looks pretty bad.

Yeah. OMORI is great if you like dark RPGs and haven't played it already, and Unheard is a fantastically unique experience that's more than worth 3 bucks, but other than those two I'm not seeing much worth recommending. Anyone else have any recs for stuff on sale?

Death Mark has some surprise nonconsensual + gory adult content so uh keep that in mind if you still want to check it out

PhysicsFrenzy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 27, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just saw Silent Hill Homecoming is $4 on Steam's spooky game sale, I feel like that's probably a beloved one to check out if I'm curious about the series now?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's one of the later "bad" ones but is honestly a perfectly cromulent game, just can't expect the story everybody goes gaga for like SH2 and well, honestly, a bunch of Not-Konami devs who thought SH2 was a design document for Silent Hill games in general.

But eh for $4 worth a play for sure. EDIT: Wait maybe not on Steam, loads of crashing issues.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:tipshat: Good to know, not like I don't have a ton of other games to get through anyway.