Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah I barely had to change my mono-B deck and Graveyard Trespasser was pretty easy to swap out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

quite stretched out posted:

yeah it took about 5x the length of any normal game with that deck

I’ll give you a funny trick, if you put exactly one Goblin Trapfinder in the deck, it’s a 1-mana creature and when it gets killed you’ll have a 100% chance to seek a Minion with perpetual haste into your hand (without revealing it). The opponent won’t know what you’re up to, and you can slam a hasted kill combo when they tap out or when you have Wild Shape to defend.

I’m not sure if it’s a better winrate, but it certainly feels like it is because effectively 5 minions instead of 4 is a lot less mulligans, and the haste catching people with their pants down can’t be overstated (which is why you absolutely want 4 Reckless Charge). Maybe later people will wise up to the setup. I still got Mythic with 8 days to go using that tech, so it’s never not good enough for Mythic in either case.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Standard Shakeup!

*Faces underdog-fable-sheoldred-bankbuster deck*

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I refuse the believe matchmaking isn't rigged, trying to play delver and either I flood out or all my spells get purged by a goddamn lion sash.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Horace Kinch posted:

I refuse the believe matchmaking isn't rigged, trying to play delver and either I flood out or all my spells get purged by a goddamn lion sash.

Lol

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Froghammer posted:

lmao just beat SaffronOlive on ladder using the meme Domain deck. He was running Riveter's Ascendancy, but that's a deck that taps out on turn 4, which this deck eats alive. Both games he took exactly lethal out of nowhere.

You are match #1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8HVMWkZu7c

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Horace Kinch posted:

for the record you can fight sparky in single player if you get angry at counterplay

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Oh wrong thread sorry

Calibanibal fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 26, 2022

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

gratz to froghammer you donked this guy

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I'm glad this guy got brutally merked by one of our own. Gratz froghammer

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Zero VGS posted:

I’ll give you a funny trick, if you put exactly one Goblin Trapfinder in the deck, it’s a 1-mana creature and when it gets killed you’ll have a 100% chance to seek a Minion with perpetual haste into your hand (without revealing it). The opponent won’t know what you’re up to, and you can slam a hasted kill combo when they tap out or when you have Wild Shape to defend.

I’m not sure if it’s a better winrate, but it certainly feels like it is because effectively 5 minions instead of 4 is a lot less mulligans, and the haste catching people with their pants down can’t be overstated (which is why you absolutely want 4 Reckless Charge). Maybe later people will wise up to the setup. I still got Mythic with 8 days to go using that tech, so it’s never not good enough for Mythic in either case.

hahaha that rules

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Does anyone have any suggestions of cool and/or good cards and combos for a Zur historic brawl deck? Mine is pretty fun but so far it mostly consists of using generic ramp to get good enchantments out and then turn them into big dudes to kill the opponent with. I'm looking for flashier and weirder interactions, like turning a saga into a creature and then flickering/reanimating it.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Ariong posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions of cool and/or good cards and combos for a Zur historic brawl deck? Mine is pretty fun but so far it mostly consists of using generic ramp to get good enchantments out and then turn them into big dudes to kill the opponent with. I'm looking for flashier and weirder interactions, like turning a saga into a creature and then flickering/reanimating it.

MtG Goldfish did an against the odds about Zur that will give you some fun ideas.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-zur-but-the-opponent-has-no-permanents-modern

Zur + Enchanted Evening + Primeval Light = fun times

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lmao

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Ariong posted:

Sanctuary Warden and Soul Diviner let you remove counters from creatures you control, which you can use to repeat non-final chapters on Zurified sagas. Like chapter 2 of Behold the Unspeakable for massive card draw. Or chapter 1 of Elspeth Conquers Death. Or chapter 1 of Fall of the Thran lol.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Format is easy. Just draft good cards

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Urcher posted:

MtG Goldfish did an against the odds about Zur that will give you some fun ideas.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-zur-but-the-opponent-has-no-permanents-modern

Zur + Enchanted Evening + Primeval Light = fun times

Sadly, Primeval Light (and most of the cards in this list) are outside of Zur’s color identity. Enchanted Evening is in the right colors, but it looks like it’s not in Arena. Thanks anyway, though!

palamedes posted:

Sanctuary Warden and Soul Diviner let you remove counters from creatures you control, which you can use to repeat non-final chapters on Zurified sagas. Like chapter 2 of Behold the Unspeakable for massive card draw. Or chapter 1 of Elspeth Conquers Death. Or chapter 1 of Fall of the Thran lol.

Hey cool, thanks. Does removing the last counter from a saga in response to its trigger prevent it from being sacrificed?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm looking to expand my gameplay and I think Brawl or Historic Brawl could be fun. Can I burn some of my common and uncommon WCs and make a competent deck, or do I need to use a bunch of rares and mythic rares?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Node posted:

I'm looking to expand my gameplay and I think Brawl or Historic Brawl could be fun. Can I burn some of my common and uncommon WCs and make a competent deck, or do I need to use a bunch of rares and mythic rares?

You can build competent decks without burning a ton of rare/mythic WCs, but you'll want to stay out of hell queue. That means don't build around the strongest commanders - Golos, Esika, Kinnan, Niv Mizzet Reborn, Sythis to name a few, but there are others. Brawl/HB are singleton formats so building a bunch of decks will take a ton of WCs up front while you get the staples, it's a relatively easy format to build for long-term because you'll have all the basics for each color, color pair, and color slice.

I'd suggest picking one or two colors and a strong commander within those for now just to minimize your WC usage, particularly on lands. If you already have a color pair where you have the lands, feel free to expand.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Node posted:

singleton formats are very malleable in terms of what cards you "need" to run, since variance means you're likely not going to see a single specific card in most games. the two "must-have" cards for non-mono-color brawl/hbrawl, arcane signet and command tower, are commons as well. finding a legendary creature you like is usually the place where you'll need to spend wildcards, but again needing only one copy makes it a lot easier to spend

as long as you have a decent idea of how a mana curve should work, brewing a brawl or hbrawl deck is pretty easy and you get to shove in as many pet cards as you want

edit:

Shooting Blanks posted:

You can build competent decks without burning a ton of rare/mythic WCs, but you'll want to stay out of hell queue. That means don't build around the strongest commanders - Golos, Esika, Kinnan, Niv Mizzet Reborn, Sythis to name a few, but there are others. Brawl/HB are singleton formats so building a bunch of decks will take a ton of WCs up front while you get the staples, it's a relatively easy format to build for long-term because you'll have all the basics for each color, color pair, and color slice.

I'd suggest picking one or two colors and a strong commander within those for now just to minimize your WC usage, particularly on lands. If you already have a color pair where you have the lands, feel free to expand.

'hell queue' is a bit of an overstatement and i wouldn't worry too much about it, since the weighting isn't just on commander but also the cards you're running in the deck itself. if you manage to fight a lot of optimized, powerful decks with your homebrew i'd just swap out the commander and see if you fight softer opponents

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://www.17lands.com/draft/2fd0fbb3e5a54282851fb31965b32ed4

Man, this was a brutal draft. A 2nd (or 10) pair of eyes maybe will find a better path than the disaster I ended up with? Thanks to all those who were in discord with me.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Node posted:

I like standard brawl a lot and I had fun with it from the get-go when I was starting out with few rares/mythics. If you have enough splashy cards to support doing something powerful with a commander, you can fill out the rest of the deck with removal/value/on-curve stuff. It can even work out to your advantage; if you end up getting to 60 cards with common and uncommon removal it can really mess with decks that totally rely on their commanders.

I started out with Golgari/Sultai commanders because I got a Rutstein, Titan of Industry, and Sheoldred from my promo code packs and it was a fun journey upgrading card by card. I suggest looking at what mythics and rares you already have and seeing if something fun presents itself.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Ariong posted:

Hey cool, thanks. Does removing the last counter from a saga in response to its trigger prevent it from being sacrificed?

I think so! That seems pretty good with Cruelty of Gix.

714.4 If the number of lore counters on a Saga permanent is greater than or equal to its final chapter number, and it isn’t the source of a chapter ability that has triggered but not yet left the stack, that Saga’s controller sacrifices it. This state-based action doesn’t use the stack.

So let's say you remove the third counter in response to the final chapter trigger. While the chapter ability is on the stack the saga doesn't get sacrificed. And when the ability resolves the saga has fewer lore counters than its final chapter number so it still doesn't get sacrificed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So I just have to remove the counter before state-based actions are checked. Excellent.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm sure it's been said before but this guy has the worst voice in existence

Like why does he talk like that.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Captain Invictus posted:

He looks exactly like he sounds like (plus he does a lot of content that isn't for whales, which is nice)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

I was gonna comment something to the effect of “a planeswalker beating him in a duel should get to silence him IRL” but held off.

My boyfriend listens to some dude on YouTube named “chef John from foodwishes” who has like the exact same loving singsong voice.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Captain Invictus posted:

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Zero VGS posted:

I was gonna comment something to the effect of “a planeswalker beating him in a duel should get to silence him IRL” but held off.

My boyfriend listens to some dude on YouTube named “chef John from foodwishes” who has like the exact same loving singsong voice.

Chef John sounds nothing like saffron Olive

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Wtf. Chef John kicks rear end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zero VGS posted:

Chef John makes good videos and recipes but I hate his cadence and the lilting uptick in his voice when he ends sentences. lol

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 27, 2022

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I was curious about the deck, but couldn't make it through. Also that first game was a godawful keep.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Node posted:

In addition to what's already been posted, there was a brief discussion a few pages back about "auto-includes" in Historic Brawl for certain colors. They're pretty much all rares or mythics, but (not to state the obvious) they'll go in pretty much nearly any HB deck you'd build:

White: Swords to Plowshares
Blue: Counterspell (UU cost can be steep for 3+ color decks)
Black: Dark Ritual
Red: Lightning Bolt
Green: Once Upon a Time

But to reiterate what's already been said, with HB being a 100 card singleton format, variance is very high and none of these will make or break a deck individually. They're just the cards that you'll almost always use when running those respective colors.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 27, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

Blue: Counterspell (UU cost can be steep for 3+ color decks)
Wash Away is literally more important and also better in Historic Brawl than Counterspell

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Wash Away is literally more important and also better in Historic Brawl than Counterspell

I'll politely disagree since one spell costs less most of the time, but yes that's a good one to go in pretty much any U deck. And it's only an uncommon to craft!

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
How common is Curse of Silence in hbrawl? I feel like it's an auto-include for white in standard brawl.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

White also has Curse of Silence as an auto include, and I find that a lot of the "disable but not kill" enchantments like Nahiri's Binding are excellent versus a lot of commanders.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

palamedes posted:

How common is Curse of Silence in hbrawl? I feel like it's an auto-include for white in standard brawl.

I don't auto-include it in my W decks since it really only amounts to a speedbump. Basically if I really need filler for some reason (or I have some way to synergize with card draw or something), I'll play it, otherwise I leave it out.

It is a bit of a feelbad card and it can tilt players when played t1 on the play, so it has that going for it.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Has their been an instance of this level of meta share by a deck in recent history? 69% seems insane