Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How is the PC port of Nioh 2? Considering getting it while it is on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nioh 2 released on steam as complete edition so I was hoping they were just waiting for all the stranger of paradise DLC to be done before doing a complete edition steam release.

Unlucky7 posted:

How is the PC port of Nioh 2? Considering getting it while it is on sale.

Did 3 playthroughs on PC, works perfectly at least on my system.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 27, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah I never had a single issue with Nioh 2 on PC.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hey y'all i heard nioh 2 improves on nioh 1 massively, is there a reason to play 1 at all or just hop right into 2? I've only played this first 3 levels or so of the original, have a basic understanding of switching styles to restore stamina mechanic.

Edit:
Vvv great thanks! I'm not super invested in the series story so I don't think I'll want to go back to the first unless the second really grabs me.

OxMan fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 27, 2022

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

OxMan posted:

Hey y'all i heard nioh 2 improves on nioh 1 massively, is there a reason to play 1 at all or just hop right into 2? I've only played this first 3 levels or so of the original, have a basic understanding of switching styles to restore stamina mechanic.

Nioh 1 is another collection of missions to go through and is good in its own right. However, the only downside I see for skipping to 2 right now is that you may find it hard to go back to the first if you like any of the new mechanics/items/weapons/spells etc.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Saying Nioh 2 improves "massively" is IMO an exaggeration.

Nioh 1 with all its DLC is a great package and plays almost exactly like its sequel.

They are almost too similar so you might get burned out playing them one after the other.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah Nioh 1 is a good game just play them both in order. Nioh 1 has some awesome bosses.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
I would have loved for some of Nioh's bosses to come back in Nioh 2, maybe as special challenges in the Dojo or even the Underworld. Though if they were in the Underworld a lot fewer people would see them and trying to learn a new boss exclusively on the highest difficulty would definitely suck.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I completed Nioh 1 before starting 2; I wouldn’t be unable to go back to the first by any means but the sequel is a very nice step forward.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nioh 2 feels like a good NES sequel, you're basically playing the same game but it's got more stuff in it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Playing the first game before the second is probably a good idea not for plot reasons, as they're not very closely connected and the second is mostly a prequel, but because the mechanics would be even more overwhelming without knowing the basics going in.

I loved the additional mechanics in Nioh 2, but only because I already understood stances and ki bursts and whatnot.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

It definitely affects my lizard OCD part of my brain where I have to pick up every piece of garbage off the ground. But if you ignore that part of the brain and focus on picking up certain colored items then it becomes more manageable.

In the menu you can set it to ignore classes of items. The model will still drop but it won't have a light over it and it won't produce a pickup prompt. By NG+ I had everything but purple and divine turned off.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Gonna coop Nioh 2 with a bud since it’s out for free. I had a couple questions.

Are there any quirks to the multiplayer that I should know before we start? Anything off-limits? Does progression happen for both players? That kind of thing.

Also, does the free version include the downloadable content for the game?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you do expeditions multiplayer you will both get full credit for everything you do and receive instanced loot, so you can play (almost) the entire game multiplayer without having to repeat missions twice for the other person like you would in dark souls or whatever. there are a small number of short missions, almost all of them just duels with 1 NPC, that can only be done solo. A small number of other functions can’t be accessed in a multiplayer lobby but you can basically treat it as a fully multiplayer game with some occasional minor interruptions.

Multiplayer is also way easier and more forgiving than singleplayer once you get the hang of the game so it’s a great way to chill out and see the content without getting 100->0’d in a half second and booted back to a checkpoint every time you dodge a single frame early.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 2, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

BurningBeard posted:

Gonna coop Nioh 2 with a bud since it’s out for free. I had a couple questions.

Are there any quirks to the multiplayer that I should know before we start? Anything off-limits? Does progression happen for both players? That kind of thing.

Also, does the free version include the downloadable content for the game?

The free version sadly does not include DLC.

You can coop the entire game with a friend and the progression is saved for both players.

However I think you have to do the first level before you get access to the main menu.

That's basically it. Some sub missions like 1 vs 1 duels may not be available in coop but those are not story content.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGdOh4BNflU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

They did the exact same thing with Nioh and it owned.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
playing Nioh 2 now, didn't finish the first one because i got repetitive level fatigue towards the end. this is reminding me why i liked the first one so much. game good (still in first area)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Came back to Nioh 2 after a long break, game rules.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Theotus posted:

the snake boss is really pissing me off

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Theotus posted:

I did the same thing the other day, can confirm, game still owns

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

a.p. dent posted:

the snake boss is really pissing me off

When I finally beat her, I yelled “gently caress you snake bitch” so loud it woke my kids up, but it was worth it.

I also recently came back to this game after a few months away and am really, really bad at it. I’m stuck on a level in the 4th area and am 10ish levels below the recommended. Is there a good place to grind out xp around here?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
IIRC the level scaling is set that you'll usually be a couple levels lower than the "recommended" level for each new story mission you encounter. Just keep pushing thru and the game will throw enough gear and amrita at you to be on par with the enemies

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

The Pirate Captain posted:

When I finally beat her, I yelled “gently caress you snake bitch”

im doing this but im still not winning. came close once though

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

a.p. dent posted:

im doing this but im still not winning. came close once though

I'd be happy to help you if you want.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
gently caress YOU SNAKE BITCH

of course i had 4 spare elixirs on the final attempt lol. always try different stances.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i need to stop doing the side missions in this game, they're too repetitive

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

a.p. dent posted:

i need to stop doing the side missions in this game, they're too repetitive

You can skip side missions if they don't have unique rewards for sure.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1602501275064860672

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Preorders are up on steam at $60 USD.

Would a thread for team ninja games make sense? It doesn't seem like there's enough traffic to have individual threads for nioh/stranger of paradise/wo long but it's also probably not obvious to have them all in a nioh thread.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Preorders are up on steam at $60 USD.

Would a thread for team ninja games make sense? It doesn't seem like there's enough traffic to have individual threads for nioh/stranger of paradise/wo long but it's also probably not obvious to have them all in a nioh thread.

Sounds like a name change may be in order

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the Wo Long thread stands a chance of being pretty huge. Just look at how big this one got.

Between all the build variety, boss strategy conversations, and secret exploration, these tend to be very discussable games.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Theres also coop to play with goons

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

:justpost: a new Wo Long thread IMO.

Hell I'll do it if no one else wants to.

Edit:

Here you go

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019760

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 15, 2022

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but I'm playing the original and I've been scouring this from the beginning. I must've missed something: I'm doing the Umi-Bozu fight, and I don't have the ability to light the other bonfires around the arena. No prompts, no nothing. The fight's bad enough if I'm only doing chip damage against its tentacles but once the second phase kicks in I'll need all the damage I can get.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Grimthwacker posted:

Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but I'm playing the original and I've been scouring this from the beginning. I must've missed something: I'm doing the Umi-Bozu fight, and I don't have the ability to light the other bonfires around the arena. No prompts, no nothing. The fight's bad enough if I'm only doing chip damage against its tentacles but once the second phase kicks in I'll need all the damage I can get.

Did you talk to Fuku to pick up a flint?

If you don't want to go that far back and want to cheese the fight, you can use a Hyottoko Mask.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Grimthwacker posted:

Two possibilities come to mind:

1) Talk to the NPC at the start of the level to get the item you need to start fires
2) Light the 3 fires spread out in the level; don't worry about the torches in the boss arena itself

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
If I'm understanding you right, you're trying to light the torches during the fight? You need to go around the level outside the boss arena and interact with torches there to activate the ones in the boss arena.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Grimthwacker posted:

there are three torches scattered around the level, you need to light those in order to light the corresponding fires in the boss arena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Grimthwacker posted:

You can beat it without the bonfire, ya... That happened to me, I didn't know what the bonfires were for and got stuck super long in the stage but it's doable.

Btw those who were asking if Nioh1 is worth playing or jump straight to Nioh 2. Nioh 1 has some really good boss fights so I think it's worth it.