Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Not surprisingly at all, the two stacks of binary are indeed the ascii codes for "RAE" and "MIMI".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Goodness knows this comic is guilty of many, many terrible and overly-complex visual metaphors...

And here's another one! Antoinette talked about the poor eating brioche, not a drat cake with icing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Green Intern posted:

Context makes this so much worse, holy poo poo.

no joke :stare:

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Green Intern posted:

Context makes this so much worse, holy poo poo.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Samovar posted:

Goodness knows this comic is guilty of many, many terrible and overly-complex visual metaphors...

And here's another one! Antoinette talked about the poor eating brioche, not a drat cake with icing.

Also, she didn't even say that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hippocrass posted:

Also, she didn't even say that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:golfclap:

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

to quote the title of the funniest album ever made, "that's not funny, that's sick."
Dunno why, but the Family Circus edits are usually the best

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Today in The Secret Life Of Popeye: Why Popeye changed his name from Popeye to Popeye.

:china:

Today: New Amazing Adventures from the Life of the Precocious Popeye

Chapter Three

By the time our hero was twelve he startled everybody by proving himself a full-grown man. He had to shave after every meal, and this was for the purpose of removing whiskers, not mulligan. His muscles were so hard that he used them regularly as a grindstone for pocket stilettos and picked up a lot of change this way renting them out to friends.

It was about this time that he went to sea. He was shanghaied with knockout drops in his soda pop. When he came to he administered knockout drops to the chins of everybody on the boat, including the captain. So the barkentine Josie Lee drifted out to sea. Popeye was on another craft of the same name. After a few days he discovered he liked the life and spent his time practicing a sailor’s walk to use later in his comic strip, “Thimble Theater.”

It was on this first voyage that “Popeye” got his nickname “Popeye.” Before that everyone had referred to him simply as “Popeye.” Now they called him “Popeye,” after he lost a blinker, and he has never been known by any other name.

Ask any old sailorman what happened back in 1910. All right--that’s his story. The real events had nothing to do with the woman called “Marseilles Minnie.” She is not concerned in this story at all, because, as everyone knows, Olive Oyl is Popeye’s girl. He met her much later. But anyway, Popeye lost one peeper.

He had just finished shooting a few craps with his trusty trap-gun. The first, second, third, fourth and fifth mates were stretched out on the deck and Popeye was making pass after pass--at the money in the middle of the floor. Up stepped the bloodthirsty cook of the Josie Lee, known to intimates as “The Ape.”

“Blow me down,” said Popeye. “I’ll lay you among the swee’ peas.”

Popeye cast about him hastily for a handy sweet-pea bed. To his horror, there was not a one on the boat. He could not go back on his promise and lay “The Ape” anywhere else--say, for instance, in the handsome sunflower patch amidships--so all he could do was stand still and take his punishment.

That was how he lost one optic and had his name changed from “Popeye” to “Popeye.”

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

EasyEW posted:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I don't really get the "joke" with this kid seems to be every time that the adults are doing something fun/nice for the kid, but instead the kid's reaction is always negative. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be critical of "kids these days" or if there's a problem in this kid's life that they're always so sad and afraid and the adults around them are just clueless.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

...A pronoun can't be past tense. You don't "do" a pronoun.

Zits writer is normally mostly benign about "woke cancel culture PC gone wild pronouns" bullshit but this is just incredibly stupid.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

manero
Jan 30, 2006

:perfect:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Your Inner Self.

RACISM WILL ONCE AGAIN BE OVER DUE TO BIOTRUTHS AND NICHE ABILITIES BEING USEFUL FOR SOCIETY AT LARGE

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

oh I thought sterling was going to be a flying monkey

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Trying out ImgPile.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

someone awful. posted:

i'll be utterly stunned and surprised if this Mary Worth ends up being anything other than a dream sequence.
I didn't think of that and I would not be surprised if that's what happens.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G returned! But it skipped right to where it would be if it had kept running instead of rerunning the engagement story. The poster who gets the Sunday strips posted most of the ones that were missed, and I'll post them later all together.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this has been the best rex morgan story in years simply on the back of this large loud man

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Absolutely perfect, great job! (Beat me to the punch :argh:)

someone awful. posted:

i'll be utterly stunned and surprised if this Mary Worth ends up being anything other than a dream sequence.

I don't think it will be. Dream sequences are maybe the one thing Mary Worth consistently does very well, with sparse dialogue and a lot of fun, weird visuals. This sequence of events is entirely too straightforward.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Vargo posted:

...A pronoun can't be past tense. You don't "do" a pronoun.

Zits writer is normally mostly benign about "woke cancel culture PC gone wild pronouns" bullshit but this is just incredibly stupid.

I'm sure they know pronouns don't work that way just as I'm sure they know zombies aren't real. Sometimes jokes don't need to make logical sense.

If this were Dustin, aka bad Zit's, I'd be less willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Register Cat

Cthulhu and Girl

Medenmath posted:

And I love how absurd this whole idea is. That panel of the two bathhouses bearing down on each other is delightful
You ain’t, as they say, seen nothin’ yet:

Self-Propelled Public Bath

And that would be a terrible cliffhanger, so here’s a third page:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Giant Ethicist posted:

It's like Xabungle but with public bath-houses instead of mechs. Glorious.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I thought the Cthulu and Girl joke pool might get thin after awhile and be nothing but "IT'S CTHULU, LOL" but surprisingly robust and I am all about the Hamster In Yellow. :3:

Hahahaha holy poo poo this bathhouse comic. "A special second tattoo activated by body heat, hiding the secret of THE BITCHING CANNON!!!"

"Show, Don't Tell? gently caress THAT."

Whenever I think I'm being too mad about Mark Trail Jules just doubles down on every mistake she makes. :allears: Hey, you know how we could've learned Jiffy's name? In dialogue! You know how Mark could've learned the tigers are sick? In his special, utterly unique ability to dialogue with them! You know how Mark could see that a zoo doesn't have a vet on staff? By exploring it! Of course a lot of larger animals have doctors called out to them, like livestock, but eh. You know how Mark could've discovered the wham shot of the arc? By exploring, finding it, and seeing the whatever within with his own eyes! Having an exposition robot just tell Mark everything immediately, literally the first person he talked to as soon as Tess wasn't screening him, and point him to the victory point, this is pure laziness in storytelling.

Hell, what's Jiff's deal? He's fully aware that he is volunteering to abuse animals and he just... goes along with it? Is he indoctrinated in the cult, but he's stupid and really bad at it so he just spills the beans to the first person to ask? Is guilt and shame pushing him to do this but depicting or setting that up would take away from lovely narration boxes and spending half of every strip on bad recapping?

kidcoelacanth posted:

this has been the best rex morgan story in years simply on the back of this large loud man

Agreed.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 27, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Giant Ethicist posted:

When I saw the panel with the gears whirring I thought we were in for a Giant Robot Impact situation

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

If not for the crippling social anxiety I would totally be this guy.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I feel like he's getting 2% larger each panel.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (April 29-May 5, 1985)

Bullwinkle

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kidcoelacanth posted:

Twenty-five-year-old me could have played him in the movie

I am delighted at how they manage to make all of the sexy bits...non-gratuitous.

drat.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 28, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy

That last panel has me giggling like a maniac, such prime av material.

Also, just wanted to pop in and apologize for not posting the past couple days! I’ve had a helluva week and will continue to until Saturday, so I’ll have some catch-up posts ready to go Sunday. Unfortunately I’ll be pushing up against my backlog by some time next week, so I’ll be posting fewer comics daily for a little bit until I sort something out. See you soon, thread friends!

p.s. Mr Beeg, glad you enjoy Aragones, and my apologies to the goon whose name I forgot! And Some Guy TT, I’m not running off a script so I’m having a hard time rehosting for you. Wanna pick your favorite and I’ll make an effort for that?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Alt

Shut the gently caress up, Gunther.

Gil Thorp

Alt

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gosh phantom dont go waking people up in bed with guns pointed at them in 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

I can see ImgBB images. I actually used to use that service but couldn't figure out how to get the full image markdowns I need when I tried most recently. And Bibliotech, recently I've been enjoying Sylvia the most. But I don't know whether it's still doing the angels/devils gag. I think Marlys is your best comic overall but I've got the book lying around somewhere and would put Life In Hell as the best after that.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Nov 25, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 9-10, 1992)

Big Nate

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol she's such a monster

Giant Ethicist posted:

And that would be a terrible cliffhanger, so here’s a third page:

The owner left instructions on his wife's back that could only be activated by body heat

There's some implications there, I guess he really wanted his wife to move on.

edit: I wonder if that's inspired by Cobra? That also had back tattoos revealed by body heat.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 28, 2022

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Hey, you were selling a Van Halen poster?"

OK it's another untranslatable Fingerpori!

Van Halenin = "Van Halen's"
Vanha Lenin = "Old Lenin"