Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They're not all THAT similar in story or tone but they are dice based dialogue rpgs and they're both quite good so yeah probably you'll like the other if you like one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Speaking of bad RPGs, I'm back on Bravely Default 2 and I'm enjoying it?

The lack of dungeon maps and layouts of said dungeons is still bad, but I'm starting to get some more classes and the difficulty isn't as stupid as it was earlier. The story is pretty bland so far though, I just hit chapter 3 and there's the usual stuff about some crystals and whatnot.
Don't know how long this game is, but I'll keep playing it for now.
Ok bye

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

umm where the hell is your SOTN av? <:mad:>

:)

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

:chanpop:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Harrow posted:

SaGa games are one of the JRPG deep ends. There are several different "deep ends" in the JRPG pool and they don't necessarily intersect. Lots of bigtime JRPG fans don't vibe with SaGa even as they dive happily into other weird or niche JRPGs (and vice versa).

You gotta be okay with a game that's going to tell you only a portion of what you should probably know to succeed, will actively reject your attempts to follow a linear storyline (especially SaGa Frontier, multiple scenarios will just punch you straight in the face if you try to just follow the story), will make side quests appear and disappear for seemingly no reason at all (and once you do know the reason it'll just make you go :psyduck:), where sometimes they gently caress with the skill learning formulas just because even the designers don't want to know how it works.

For some people, like me, that list of features is straight-up jolly and these games are an endless font of joy. For others, they're just obtuse, hair-pulling experiences that make you long for how understandable Dark Souls NPC quests are by comparison. When I recommend SaGa games I usually lead with the weird because if someone hears about how the skill system designer in SaGa Frontier changed values so even he wouldn't understand how it works and goes "lol that owns," that probably means they'll have a good time. And if they hear that story and go "what the hell that sounds like Bad Game Design" then they can safely disregard my recommendation, no harm, no foul.

The series does vary pretty widely when it comes to how obtuse it is. Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is pretty approachable (unless you're trying to 100% it, hahaha have fun learning about event rank!!!) while SaGa Frontier can be really obtuse, and then it keeps going even further and you get games like Unlimited SaGa that even most SaGa fans look at and say "hey what the gently caress"

I play ed saga frontier earlier this year and it was pure unbridled joy and that was after bouncing off it super hard like a d0dge ball to the back of the head all those years ago!!!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm gonna buy Disco Elysium. I'm gonna do it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow, accounting for my rekindled love for SaGa games, what SaGa game would you recommend I play next given that I've only ever played (or attempted to play) Frontier 1 and 2...???

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also I cant wait for veeg to play saga frontier on stream so I can impress everyone with how deeply I studied 25 year old gamefaqs guides while I was playing it lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I play ed saga frontier earlier this year and it was pure unbridled joy and that was after bouncing off it super hard like a d0dge ball to the back of the head all those years ago!!!

Hell yeah!!

fridge corn posted:

Harrow, accounting for my rekindled love for SaGa games, what SaGa game would you recommend I play next given that I've only ever played (or attempted to play) Frontier 1 and 2...???

If you want one right now, SaGa Scarlet Grace is really fun. Really stripped-down presentation but one of the coolest battle systems around and it's surprisingly funny, too.

If you can wait a month or so, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song's getting a remaster that'll probably be pretty good, going by the SaGa remaster track record. It's the only other SaGa game I've sunk as much time into as Frontier. Pretty different (more standard medieval fantasy setting, characters all have the same main story but different things along the way, and there's a class system) but it's really good.

Also the music is 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXFGPtiMqqA

FirstAidKite posted:

Only "possibly"? :P

Hey, he gets a lot nicer after he merges with his brother, regardless of who wins. His new Fuse ending in the remaster is even downright noble!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 27, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

this is how I know you haven't played SaGa Frontier lol

Nobody in the world has ever managed to make a monster party member better than a paperweight without pulling up this 17-year-old GameFAQs guide, reading it three times from beginning to end, and still not entirely understanding it but lucking into a weird crystal tree form somehow anyway

Hey now, that's not entirely fair, they might've used this guide instead. :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

Hell yeah!!

If you want one right now, SaGa Scarlet Grace is really fun. Really stripped-down presentation but one of the coolest battle systems around and it's surprisingly funny, too.

If you can wait a month or so, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song's getting a remaster that'll probably be pretty good, going by the SaGa remaster track record. It's the only other SaGa game I've sunk as much time into as Frontier. Pretty different (more standard medieval fantasy setting, characters all have the same main story but different things along the way, and there's a class system) but it's really good.

Also the music is 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXFGPtiMqqA

Hey, he gets a lot nicer after he merges with his brother, regardless of who wins. His new Fuse ending in the remaster is even downright noble!

Waiting about a month or so sounds perfect since I've got tactics ogre reborn preordered :D

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Hey now, that's not entirely fair, they might've used this guide instead. :v:

lol yeah I couldn't decide which one to link

Let's also learn about the sparking system, which I'm sure will be completely intuitive when clearly explained and... oh boy that's a lot of variables huh

rox
Sep 7, 2016

douglas bowser has delivered my joycons back and they are good as new

i pray they stay that way long enough 4 me 2 play pokemon violet 🙏

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly sparking is the easier one, because you can just ignore all the actual mechanics, look at the move tree, and run to the Bio Research Lab to spark what you want

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

External Organs posted:

I'm gonna buy Disco Elysium. I'm gonna do it.

It's great op

rox
Sep 7, 2016

dougie b

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

oh poo poo wait i didn't realize that mastery increases the chance of sparking arts

oh but you need magic mastery for gun arts? I mean I get it I guess but drat

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The hardest art to spark is always the last one you need for DSC

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Honestly sparking is the easier one, because you can just ignore all the actual mechanics, look at the move tree, and run to the Bio Research Lab to spark what you want

Arzaac posted:

oh poo poo wait i didn't realize that mastery increases the chance of sparking arts

oh but you need magic mastery for gun arts? I mean I get it I guess but drat

lol yep!

Sparking isn't all that complicated really no, it's just funny to see how many variables go into it that even people who've played a bunch don't know about

fridge corn posted:

The hardest art to spark is always the last one you need for DSC

It's kinda funny how almost every character has at least one DSC move that's not in their preferred moves list so there's always at least one move that's really hard to spark.

But anyone can learn it if you're stubborn enough. Just ask me about teaching Blue the DSC.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRiakPSeZrU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

What are the other JRPG deep ends?

Atelier (crafting)
Kingdom Hearts (story)
Super Robot Wars (mechs)
Star Ocean (bullshit)

Valkyrie Profile prolly (good), Xenosaga? (bad), Parasite Eve (neat?)

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

It's kinda funny how almost every character has at least one DSC move that's not in their preferred moves list so there's always at least one move that's really hard to spark.

It's one of Emelia's biggest strengths, because she can switch her talent list to learn DSC really easily

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

It's one of Emelia's biggest strengths, because she can switch her talent list to learn DSC really easily

Yep, this is why I always recommend martial arts for Emelia

Meanwhile she's always depicted with guns but IIRC has one of the worst spark lists for guns. Not that that's a huge deal, gun skills aren't too bad to spark because there isn't a ton of them.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Etrian (mapdrawing!)
Wizardry (pure madness)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why is the G in SaGa capitalized? Is it because it's a Game?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

VideoGames posted:

That really does sound pretty intriguing. Having said that I really do just love recommendations and being surprised, so it was always going to be played this just confirms it :)

You should play Dew Prism/Threads of Fate. It’s on the PS3 as a PS1 classic, it’s two full single player stories with unique twists on the gameplay for each, the artstyle is PS1 graphics at their peak, it’s charming as hell, and it will give you the feelings.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Show of hands please of everyone who is still vibrating exuberantly since the suikoden 1+2 hd remaster announcement 🙋‍♂️

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

fridge corn posted:

Show of hands please of everyone who is still vibrating exuberantly since the suikoden 1+2 hd remaster announcement 🙋‍♂️

Yooooo!

I'm replaying five right now. After the remasters come out I'll replay three and then I'll think about four.

I was an rpg nerd kid, my ps1 library was nothing but rpgs and, to a lesser extent, survival horrors, but Suikoden is my holy grail of niche rpgs and I cannot loving wait.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I'll def get it because those two games deserve attention, though they aren't all that high on my favorites list because the battles are a bit basic. The music is great though and the spritework in 2 is very quality. I think I prefer the Breath of Fire games from the same period.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Are video games even real

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

:hmmyes:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Suikoden 1 & 2... the pretty good ps1 jrpgs that I wouldn't want to replay

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It would be sick if I could play Vicky III

rox
Sep 7, 2016

signalis is out today so i think im gonna resub to gamepass for a dollar

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gaius Marius posted:

It would be sick if I could play Vicky III

It's good

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Incidentally on the subject of SaGa games, I've always been fond of Romancing SaGa 3 because I really feel like it does the best job of that open world feel they're going for.

It's an RPG where, after the prologue, you really are free to go just about anywhere, do anything, recruit anyone. There's a main plot too but the game really doesn't give you any guidance, you'll just stumble upon it eventually (probably).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Feeling like I might take another break from Nuts and Bolts. It's a fun game but the creative demand doesn't really fit my 'I want a solution now' mindset and there's so much to do that it drags after a while. I'm enjoying the time I spend with it but also the idea of playing just this game for another couple of weeks is a lot

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm more annoyed than I should be that they put this "launch" trailer out two weeks before the game actually launches

That's pretty much standard practice now, it seems.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

New Star Ocean seems pretty rough visually but the intro has my interest so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hmm the next game on my list is either Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe or Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon :v: