Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Kwyndig posted:

Did they really used to not give two shits about the environment?

No. Sweden didn't get any kinds of environmental regulations until 1966. Before that, you could just release industrial waste into rivers and bury barrels of mercury under your parking lot.

Otoh, old batteries were zinc, manganese oxide, graphite and ammonium salts. None of these compounds are very toxic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Word. I did a look for superfund sites near me on a whim and two within 30 minutes or so more or less amount to “lol we’ll just bury this in the basement and put concrete over it” and “lol we’ll just dump this in a field”.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there's a megachurch nearby that just finished construction. it's on a Superfund site.

it works as a fun metaphor in at least two directions.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There was a town in Missouri that had to be closed because they guy they hired to oil the roads was using used motor oil mixed with the waste from a dioxin plant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Beach,_Missouri

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Iron Crowned posted:

I had no idea that Boston was built on an island

Technically it's a penensula surrounded by landfill, but there are islands in the harbor.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neito posted:

Boston used to handle it's trash by putting it on an island in the bay and letting the tide come in, whereby it would magically vanish.

I'll let you do the math on this one.
Neal Stephenson wrote a whole novel, Zodiac, where that ends up the catalyst of the entire plot.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kwyndig posted:

Did they really used to not give two shits about the environment?

Oh abso-freaking-lutely. Prior to the Earth Day/environmentalism movement in the 1970s, it was extremely common to just dump poo poo (sometimes literal poo poo!) wherever and no-one gave a poo poo. Some rivers were so polluted that they could literally catch on fire.

Things have gotten better, but these days it has moved from "don't give a poo poo about polluting in general" to "don't give a poo poo about polluting if it only affects minorities."

So, ya know, a lot of work still needs to be done.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Urban Planning Lifehack: Dump your trash in the lake and eventually you’ll expand the city’s borders onto some brand new coastline made of trash!

Then, on one of those trash extensions, build a plant that takes in sewage, unleashes microbes to devour the poop, and then dries and packages those tiny critters full of digested human poop so you can dump them on your garden!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Warbird posted:

Word. I did a look for superfund sites near me on a whim and two within 30 minutes or so more or less amount to “lol we’ll just bury this in the basement and put concrete over it” and “lol we’ll just dump this in a field”.

My local superfund site is a leaking garbage dump. It's situated next to a mine. There's a modern garbage dump on the other side of the mine.

The town's drinking water is pumped from that mine. I left my water cooler behind when I moved and switched back to tap water.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/L5xMYD2rTi6WWnDz5

axolotl farmer posted:

Otoh, old batteries were zinc, manganese oxide, graphite and ammonium salts. None of these compounds are very toxic.

Sure, those things are fairly safe

Until you put them in a fire!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite Can hack
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rkf7phJg9B1r0uzl6.mp4

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

belongs in the OSHA thread goddamn

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
In addition to providing you with a slightly wider opening for your drink it also functions as a handy lip and tongue remover.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I want to see them try and drink it, because grabbing it from the sides will basically immediately crush it now, and touching any part of the top will almost certainly injure you. What a fun hack.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's clearly a video by the same people who did countless countertop nachos and toilet ice cream videos. They were never meant to be real hacks.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think those things are supposed to turn the lip over so it's not so sharp? But it doesn't look it.

I did buy one of the Technology Connections safety tin openers a while back though and that thing is amazing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Nettle Soup posted:

I think those things are supposed to turn the lip over so it's not so sharp? But it doesn't look it.

I did buy one of the Technology Connections safety tin openers a while back though and that thing is amazing.

Maybe I should get a new one of those, the two I have had so far have been more effort than using a top-in can opener.

Oddly the least effort can opener I own is a p-38 I picked up on a whim, but that's an emergency option.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've watched a lot of 5 minute crafts but this was the first with a safety warning

The hack

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

maltesh posted:

Oddly the least effort can opener I own is a p-38 I picked up on a whim, but that's an emergency option.

I've forgotten which :911: company has picked up where Swing-A-Way left off but their can openers are just majestic and you can get them at any American grocery store

alternatively a vintage S-A-W (they last forever)

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Busket Posket posted:

Urban Planning Lifehack: Dump your trash in the lake and eventually you’ll expand the city’s borders onto some brand new coastline made of trash!

Then, on one of those trash extensions, build a plant that takes in sewage, unleashes microbes to devour the poop, and then dries and packages those tiny critters full of digested human poop so you can dump them on your garden!

To be fair to the city, it’s that or just keep getting drunk. Besides, that smell while driving over the Hoan is a major part of the city’s rich background (in doing stupid poo poo)

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've forgotten which :911: company has picked up where Swing-A-Way left off but their can openers are just majestic and you can get them at any American grocery store

iirc it's ez-duz-it , my dad has a swingaway that's probably older than I am and I keep meaning to grab an ez-duz-it but for some reason I never remember this when i'm in a position to actually order one.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zeth posted:

it's ez-duz-it

:911:

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Yeah, the only way they could get more :911: is if somebody figured out how to print animated gifs onto cardboard packaging

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Empty Sandwich posted:

When my mom died I took the SAW she'd had for god knows how long, it's still better than any can opener I've purchased.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

maltesh posted:

Me too, coincidentally.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Zeth posted:

Yeah, the only way they could get more :911: is if somebody figured out how to print animated gifs onto cardboard packaging
Hey...! Yeah! gently caress you Marketing Departments, do something good for once and drive down the manufacturing costs for lenticular printing.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SubponticatePoster posted:

When my mom died I took the SAW she'd had for god knows how long, it's still better than any can opener I've purchased.

?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

maltesh posted:

Get a Gangy, works the same way as a P-38/51 but bigger.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Everyone knew to stay the gently caress out of the kitchen when mom was cooking :colbert:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Phanatic posted:

Me too, coincidentally.

That's actually a bottle opener.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's actually a bottle opener.

Everything's a bottle opener if you practice

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rkompbM6Ek1uk10e9.mp4

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

King poo poo right there.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

There is absolutely nothing stupid about that lifehack.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
another non-stupid lifehack
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rkxyjsOZNN1qigfjt.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Does that flashing sign say "fuckers_ at the beginning of the video?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
folgen, it's telling you to follow the car

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Folgers. It’s telling them to have a coffee break

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Paladinus posted:

It's clearly a video by the same people who did countless countertop nachos and toilet ice cream videos. They were never meant to be real hacks.

Oooooooh how wrong you are. Those things exist and they're marketed to craft beer drinkers. The lovely knockoffs cut the rim off, the slightly less lovely ones leave the rim on for support.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ha, one of the more basic supermarket lagers in Japan has a version that does this, too. I thought it was pretty clever when I saw the commercials--I haven't tried it myself, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What the hell