Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Red Warrior posted:

It's not the built-in, but one of the most popular third party launchers for sure.

I'll switch to the built-in Pixel Launcher for a couple days though and see if it happens with that.

OK I switched to the default Pixel launcher when I posted that comment and I just got the 'App isn't installed' toast when I went to click on the bookmark widget just now so doesn't seem to be launcher related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
works on my machine, which is linux btw. (vanilla pixel 6)

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Red Warrior posted:

OK I switched to the default Pixel launcher when I posted that comment and I just got the 'App isn't installed' toast when I went to click on the bookmark widget just now so doesn't seem to be launcher related.
Thank you for checking! I'm hoping to work on this over the weekend, hopefully it won't take too long to figure out.. apologies to y'all with the broken bookmarks shortcut.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

handle posted:

Thank you for checking! I'm hoping to work on this over the weekend, hopefully it won't take too long to figure out.. apologies to y'all with the broken bookmarks shortcut.

Cool, thanks. It's not a huge deal but appreciate you checking it out. Good luck.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Red Warrior posted:

Cool, thanks. It's not a huge deal but appreciate you checking it out. Good luck.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I pushed to button to move the update to :airquote:production:airquote: a couple of days ago and just got an email that google rejected it.

Apparently they tried to report someone in the iPad thread and couldn't find the button (because Ferg cheaped out on platinum for the test account 10 years ago :v:). Because of this, it violates their policy for user generated content.

So now i need to a) get platinum for the test account or hope Astral reads this and feels generous 🤞, and b) curate the account's bookmarked threads. They currently consist mostly of ancient IYG apple threads for comedic purposes and I think it's probably better if they gently caress around in a safe environment.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sereri posted:

I pushed to button to move the update to :airquote:production:airquote: a couple of days ago and just got an email that google rejected it.

Apparently they tried to report someone in the iPad thread and couldn't find the button (because Ferg cheaped out on platinum for the test account 10 years ago :v:). Because of this, it violates their policy for user generated content.

So now i need to a) get platinum for the test account or hope Astral reads this and feels generous 🤞, and b) curate the account's bookmarked threads. They currently consist mostly of ancient IYG apple threads for comedic purposes and I think it's probably better if they gently caress around in a safe environment.
Happy to help with this - PM me the name or userid of the account and anything you want me to change.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Happy to help with this - PM me the name or userid of the account and anything you want me to change.

:love:

I think I'll give handle a chance to fix the icon issue before asking for a do-over, that way I don't have to explain why it suddenly works :v:

PS: posters The Irons Rose and Quantum of Phallus better watch out

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Now I'm curious what the policy for user-generated content is and what exactly was violated about it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol, I was literally just wondering the other day what goes into approving apps like this, and whether there's someone on the other end who has to sit around browsing the forums testing it out :ms:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sereri posted:

I may have forgotten to bubble errors from the report handler up to the user in the iOS app.

I may also have forgotten to hide the report button from non-platinum-havers.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pushbullet recently did a blog post about the process . It's all AI.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sereri posted:

Non-plat are supposed to have reports as of april/may 2020 and I've just confirmed a "Registered" user can send a report; are you certain that's the real problem?

e: I suspect the real issue is was (now fixed) that that report buttons didn't show up on the site for vaulted threads (and it sounds like there are several old vaulted threads in the test account's bookmarks). Thank you for providing that additional information.

pokeyman posted:

I may also have forgotten to hide the report button from non-platinum-havers.

You were clearly just planning ahead for mid-2020.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Hi all, I've switched from an iPhone to a Pixel 7 recently, downloaded the Awful app but can't seem to find a way to get it to automatically switch light/dark mode in line with my device, has this not been implemented or is something broke?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I don't think that's implemented.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
:smug:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

astral posted:

Non-plat are supposed to have reports as of april/may 2020 and I've just confirmed a "Registered" user can send a report; are you certain that's the real problem?

e: I suspect the real issue is was (now fixed) that that report buttons didn't show up on the site for vaulted threads (and it sounds like there are several old vaulted threads in the test account's bookmarks). Thank you for providing that additional information.

You were clearly just planning ahead for mid-2020.

:downs:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Still only ten results per forums Search. It's been the case for many months. (I have a vague memory of it working properly long ago, i.e. multiple pages of results viewable, as with in-browser Forums search). I have a vague memory of it working long ago. Annoying and makes the in-app Search function almost useless. As a sometime programmer I know that the correct algorithm would not be rocket science, and would use minimal memory. Please fix it already!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pull up from the bottom of the first ten results.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Dabir posted:

Pull up from the bottom of the first ten results.

Ok, thanks. Though I just tried it and it's exquisitely annoying to use. I like easily-zapped-through results on a search results page, so I can way more easily see what's up. The "pull up" displays only a handful more results at a time. And the slightest misstep (and I 'm using a 10 inch pad, not a tiny phone screen) causes results to be exited and the search has to be done all over again. So it's still almost useless. I'd much prefer having a link to tap to go to the next (also previous, first, last) page of results. Like in browser Forums search. Ideally with like 40 results per page (maybe configurable)... much like viewing a pageful of posts in a thread.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 7, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh huh, did that interface change at some point? I would've absolutely sworn that there was a way to tap forward for more results, more like the browser menu. Maybe I'm just going insane.
For what it's worth, I do like paging through results better just because it's a bit easier to keep track of where you are.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The forums only give you 10 results at a time, for reference, so it's not like the app devs arbitrarily chose it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

astral posted:

The forums only give you 10 results at a time, for reference, so it's not like the app devs arbitrarily chose it.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Any work being done to allow creating posts from the app yet? Sorry if I missed something but the original post says no?

You can do it on iphones though?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
yes, iphone app users have been asking for the "not allowed to post new threads" feature for years but once again android comes out ahead

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol, thanks for the follow up, I appreciate it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BigBadSteve posted:

Still only ten results per forums Search. It's been the case for many months. (I have a vague memory of it working properly long ago, i.e. multiple pages of results viewable, as with in-browser Forums search). I have a vague memory of it working long ago. Annoying and makes the in-app Search function almost useless. As a sometime programmer I know that the correct algorithm would not be rocket science, and would use minimal memory. Please fix it already!

the correct algorithm is to preface whatever you're looking for with site:forums.somethingawful.com in a google search box

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Clicking links to threads in the current announcement opens the threads in Chrome for me. Is that just me or a general thing?

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
just tried it and same thing. don't recall if it's done that before. pixel 5a and awful app 3.8.15.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh weird, it's happening to me too, and I noticed it when I start from a discord link as well. Latest app update, I thought my phone doing an android 12 update the other day might have cleared my settings but the app is still set up open by default.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Links working fine for me, pixel 7 latest app version

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah works for me as well. On whatever the latest version of awful on the app store is on miui 13 or whatever Xiaomi calls their horror show.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I had the links not working issue, but it turned out it was just a setting that got reset. Had to go into settings, apps, awful app, open by default, and there was an unchecked checkbox next to forums.somwthingawful.com. Maybe it was reset by the security update yesterday? I dunno, but in any case checking that box that fixed it. On a Pixel 7 pro btw.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

pnumoman posted:

I had the links not working issue, but it turned out it was just a setting that got reset. Had to go into settings, apps, awful app, open by default, and there was an unchecked checkbox next to forums.somwthingawful.com. Maybe it was reset by the security update yesterday? I dunno, but in any case checking that box that fixed it. On a Pixel 7 pro btw.

Oh, that's weird. I saw that "open by default" was still selected but I didn't notice that the actual URL for it was unselected. Works fine now. :tipshat:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ah yeah that's an android 12 thing, 13 fixes it

For a while it reset on every app update, it was infuriating

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ok so while checking, I noticed there was an October security update available for the os and I installed it and then the links went to the default browser. I cleared the defaults for that one and now the links go to chrome. Cleared the defaults for chrome, but the links still open in chrome without asking. In fact all links I tap in the app open in chrome and there doesn't seem to be a way to force it back into asking what app I want to use.

There's an apps > manage apps > default apps > opening links > awful > open supported links > open setting that doesn't seem to do anything.

I can get the links back to opening in Mull by setting my default browser, but that's not quite good enough.

I'm not sure what to do now. I uninstalled and reinstalled imgurviewer to see if that would trigger the system into asking again but no.

Bah.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You need to change the setting in the app preferences for awful not your browser

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Has there been any progress on the videos not playing unless you're actively moving the screen up and down? I know it's happening with Twitter videos but I'm getting them now from YouTube embeds as well.

Thank you dev for the years of work.

I love you

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

TontoCorazon posted:

Has there been any progress on the videos not playing unless you're actively moving the screen up and down? I know it's happening with Twitter videos but I'm getting them now from YouTube embeds as well.

Thank you dev for the years of work.

I love you

this is a feature to make sure you are engaging properly with the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

How much more engagement do they need?