Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kashuno posted:

Has their been an instance of this level of meta share by a deck in recent history? 69% seems insane

I think Omnath might have had a higher share, right before the ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo lol

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I almost never see Curse of Silence in h-brawl. Wash Away is common though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have Curse of Silence in my Light-Paws deck. It's really good there because Light-Paws is in an aggro deck hell tier, and a lot of those decks REALLY want to cast their commander on curve (Golos, Bridge, Niv). Plus it triggers LP, so getting a little card advancate, and slowing them down a couple of turns on their win button is a pretty big deal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

uh am i missing something, why does flutterfox have flying

edit: oh duh the aura

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

imagine dungeons posted:

I almost never see Curse of Silence in h-brawl. Wash Away is common though.

I would say it's uncommon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kashuno posted:

Yeah this draft just looks like you didn't really find your lane, that can be pretty punishing in ELD especially I've found. Black was definitely where you wanted to be and Piper would've been a very good start, but obviously you don't know your p2p1 and p3p1 would've gone into a sick black deck at the time. Blue looked ok but I don't know where the on ramp would've been for that.

This deck went 4-3, which was more than I was hoping, I would have been fine with just getting 250 gems so I have a clean 1500 gems total for a BRO draft soon.

It actually felt pretty good, Rosethorn Halberd on Gingerbrute just cracks people open. I probably would have gone further but I repeatedly punted, the first game I played I forgot that you need to pay mana to give Gingerbrute unblockable lol.

The 3rd loss was a heartbreaker because I had the completely busted opening of Wildwood Tracker, Gingerbrute, and Rosethorn Halberd in my opening hand. I was so eager to get started, guess which one-drop I cast lol

(I could see the opp mouse over it going like, what)

Edit: now I could hope for another 275 gems to have a clean 3000 gems for two BRO drafts... I have 3.75 drafts' worth of currency in the hopper right now, not counting the 4+1 events I'll get from the play bundle

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 27, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Judgy Fucker posted:

In addition to what's already been posted, there was a brief discussion a few pages back about "auto-includes" in Historic Brawl for certain colors. They're pretty much all rares or mythics, but (not to state the obvious) they'll go in pretty much nearly any HB deck you'd build:

White: Swords to Plowshares
Blue: Counterspell (UU cost can be steep for 3+ color decks)
Black: Dark Ritual
Red: Lightning Bolt
Green: Once Upon a Time

But to reiterate what's already been said, with HB being a 100 card singleton format, variance is very high and none of these will make or break a deck individually. They're just the cards that you'll almost always use when running those respective colors.

There are also a bunch of similar cards that can be used in every (or nearly every) multicolor deck: Command Tower, Arcane Signet, Mind Stone, Coldsteel Heart to name a few.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

kalel posted:

I would say it's uncommon

Hah.

I actually run Curse of Silence in my Reidane h-brawl deck as well but the entire goal of that deck is to get the opponent to concede out of annoyance.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
curse of silence is a solid card and can really be a pain for certain decks and commanders to deal with but I don't think it's necessarily an autoinclude. I'd put it on the level of smothering tithe in that if it sticks your opponent is gonna hate you

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think abzan reanimator is better than jund bc spirit sisters call is a very fair magic the gathering card lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As for esper midrange, here's where I'm at with that:

Deck
2 Brutal Cathar (MID) 7
3 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
3 Elspeth Resplendent (SNC) 11
3 Cut Down (DMU) 89
3 Inspiring Overseer (SNC) 18
3 Evolved Sleeper (DMU) 93
2 Farewell (NEO) 13
3 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107
3 Path of Peril (VOW) 124
3 Sorin the Mirthless (VOW) 131
3 Kaito Shizuki (NEO) 226
3 Borrowed Time (MID) 6
1 Foreboding Statue (VOW) 256
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
3 Adarkar Wastes (DMU) 243
1 Caves of Koilos (DMU) 244
3 Shattered Sanctum (VOW) 264
4 Shipwreck Marsh (MID) 267
1 Raffine's Tower (SNC) 254
6 Plains (STX) 367
1 Island (STX) 368
3 Swamp (ANB) 116
1 The Celestus (MID) 252

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Judgy Fucker posted:

I don't auto-include it in my W decks since it really only amounts to a speedbump. Basically if I really need filler for some reason (or I have some way to synergize with card draw or something), I'll play it, otherwise I leave it out.

Makes sense. Maybe I see it more in sbrawl because Restoration of Eiganjo and Serra Paragon are strong cards and that might be enough synergy to make the cut in a 59 card deck.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

if a card makes the cut in hbrawl decks not because of synergy, it definitely would be a good include in standard brawl. the power level is just so much lower.

curse is an amazing 1-drop in a controlling deck facing the higher-tier hbrawl decks that depend on their commanders. forcing them to wait until 7 mana on prismatic bridge or golos almost certainly gives me the time needed to set up my answers

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

Yo this draft was SICK. Nobody in the entire pod wanted green. This is basically a mono-green Domain deck, but I also raredrafted like a motherfucker, AND I can play almost all of them? Wild. Check this poo poo out:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/aabc31434400499e852178de773db4fa

The Shanna is really only there for lols. My biggest question rn is if I should put an Island in. For her, Nael, and the two kickers. It's probably a good idea to remove the Plaza for said Island...is it fun? Noooo but I should. The deck would probably be better if I just replaced the Shanna with the Soultender, too.

Any other thoughts?

(btw, this is BO3, I am 1-0 already, deck can do this which is fully sick:)

I did end up taking Shanna out for Soulkeeper and adding the Island over the Plaza.

This deck got another loss (0-2) and then another win (2-0). In the losing game, I played against a picture perfect Azorius deck - two Cavalier, two Phalanxes, a Raff, two Destroy Evil, a Prayer of Binding...AND a wall package. I held my own in the first match but ultimately they had too many dudes, maybe I could have played slightly better but I didn't really see a way to win especially after they had tons of dudes and THEN played Shield-Wall Sentinel to dig up the Chaplain. Second match I had to mulligan to five, they ran away with the game as well.

Final match was kinda tight, I was down to 5 but then stabilized, and then went Threats Undetected -> get Nael + Maro -> Nael digs me into a 'goyf (I held Soultender, making it a 6/7 for 2) -> Nael gives me Soul of Windgrace. They conceded.

Overall, quite happy with the result - a ludicrously stacked Domain deck like this can only really lose to a go-wide aggro deck or the brutality of the wall deck, which happened at the same time. I did sideboard in Smash to Dust btw but didn't draw it :v:.

EDIT: I've noticed by the way that nobody responds to these posts anymore. Is everybody just pumped for BRO and done with DMU anyway, or are there tons of lurkers going "this is very interesting, thanks"?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve found Curse of Silence, Fragment Reality, and Patriar’s Scorn to be completely indispensable in H-Brawl, like as instantly auto-include worthy as Swords or Lightning Bolt. If you haven’t been playing with the Alchemy cards in your Brawl decks I understand, but if you just play maybe 3 games with Fragment Reality I think you’ll see that it’s absolutely T1 bonkers removal. Patriar’s Scorn, the one drop that deactivates commanders perpetually, has been equally insane, and probably the single best answer to poo poo like Golos or Niv Mizzet in the format. Turning their Golos into a completely useless 3/5 puts them in a really difficult position.

Curse of Silence might seem like a speed bump to some, but there are games against Nicol Bolas Grixis control shells where keeping them off Bolas for a turn or two is the difference between winning & losing.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Another one. Wasn’t going to go for mythic but I might stumble into it. Really like the format right now and it seems like this deck is open almost every draft right now (even if this has more filler than the last couple). Got to play my favorite line of the format 3 times with this deck where you reanimate a rager with the balduvian guy and then sac the rager to bone shards

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Simply Simon posted:

EDIT: I've noticed by the way that nobody responds to these posts anymore. Is everybody just pumped for BRO and done with DMU anyway, or are there tons of lurkers going "this is very interesting, thanks"?

It feels a little fruitless to give advice to drafts where you hack multiple unplayable rares over cards that your deck wants.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

this is just me but I'm interested more in the drafting phase, my eyes skip over play-by-play of games

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i mean, people wouldn't really respond to that one because you're not asking for feedback? taking time to analyze a draft is a bit of effort and not everyone enjoys or wants goons to post about why they think the draft wasn't good

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

New boostie just dropped*

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/introducing-mtg-arena-golden-packs

quote:

WHAT'S IN A GOLDEN PACK
A Golden Pack contains six cards, all of which are rare or mythic rare from a Standard-legal set and have duplicate protection. At least one card will be mythic rare, and each other card has an independent chance of being mythic rare approximately 1 in 8 times. At least two cards will be from the latest Standard-legal set (currently, The Brothers' War).

Golden Packs will not have cards replaced with wildcards and do not affect the odds of packs opened later containing wildcards. However, opening Golden Packs does advance your wildcard tracks.

If you would receive a card but you have four copies of all cards of that rarity from that Standard-legal set, you will instead receive a card from another Standard-legal set. Only when you have four copies of all cards of that rarity from each set in Standard will cards be replaced by gems.

HOW TO GET GOLDEN PACKS
Each The Brothers' War pack purchased from the MTG Arena Store progresses your Golden Pack meter one step. The meter does not advance when packs are acquired through means other than pack purchases. When all ten steps of the meter are filled, it resets and a Golden Pack is added to your collection, which you can open on the Packs scene.

If you purchase a pack bundle that contains more packs than steps left in your Golden Pack meter, it will continue to progress after it has reset with the remaining number of packs in the bundle. For instance, if you have five steps already filled on your meter and you buy a bundle containing ten The Brothers' War packs, your Golden Pack meter will fill, reset, and then fill five more steps.

*May not have actually dropped yet? It says the current set is Brothers' War.

Anyway, I don't ever buy packs but this seems like a free bonus for people who want cards but drafting, since it nearly doubles the rare drop rate from purchased packs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lone Goat posted:

New boostie just dropped*

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/introducing-mtg-arena-golden-packs

*May not have actually dropped yet? It says the current set is Brothers' War.

Anyway, I don't ever buy packs but this seems like a free bonus for people who want cards but drafting, since it nearly doubles the rare drop rate from purchased packs.

yeah, i'm okay with it. gives some incentive to actually buy packs for gold instead of saving for drafting, though i'd ideally like it to also proc off of pack rewards from stuff like the mastery pass. it does appear to also include the packs from the preorder bundles, for those of you who have that as the only money you spend on the game

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

That's a real alternative to drafting, as 10k gold is also the cost of a draft.

So you're basically gambling that a draft will get you more than 16 rares+ after factoring in your prize support.

I think weaker drafters will go down this route, making drafts more competitive.

We'll see.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hope you have 17L turned on and leaderboard enabled so people can see these trophies and wonder what the gently caress is going on

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kalel posted:

hope you have 17L turned on and leaderboard enabled so people can see these trophies and wonder what the gently caress is going on

I only play on my phone so nope. Rip

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve found Curse of Silence, Fragment Reality, and Patriar’s Scorn to be completely indispensable in H-Brawl, like as instantly auto-include worthy as Swords or Lightning Bolt. If you haven’t been playing with the Alchemy cards in your Brawl decks I understand, but if you just play maybe 3 games with Fragment Reality I think you’ll see that it’s absolutely T1 bonkers removal. Patriar’s Scorn, the one drop that deactivates commanders perpetually, has been equally insane, and probably the single best answer to poo poo like Golos or Niv Mizzet in the format. Turning their Golos into a completely useless 3/5 puts them in a really difficult position.

Curse of Silence might seem like a speed bump to some, but there are games against Nicol Bolas Grixis control shells where keeping them off Bolas for a turn or two is the difference between winning & losing.

I used to include Fragment Reality in all my white decks but I had a long run of Bullshit getting pulled out so I've cut them. 1 Mana instant speed exile is strong but gently caress that downside.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As a Limited hater who already spends 99% of his gold on packs, I am very excited about more strictly free stuff.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Simply Simon posted:

I think everyone who loves DMU drafting has pretty much mined as much info as they are gonna get by this stage so its not like the first few weeks where people were trying to see what works and what isn't. The format is largely solved (but still fun to draft) so there is less and less value in draft posts I think.

I personally don't know if BRO can come close to DMU. DMU literally got me back to playing magic regularly and its a tough act to follow.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Hell yeah, loved seeing this!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Lone Goat posted:

It feels a little fruitless to give advice to drafts where you hack multiple unplayable rares over cards that your deck wants.
I usually only raredraft if I don't see anything in the pack I deem absolutely crucial; I have taken e.g. Missionary over Jaya before despite even my co-drafters going "you know I'd have taken her", but I really didn't want to bend the deck for her. Clearly, you have a different opinion on what my deck wants - why not share that? I think I'm generally okay at drafting a 90% fine deck, but that loses me games where the last 10% matter, those cards that are picks 8-12 where you really have to think which generally playable card fits better in a deck. If you already looked at my draft and went "oh God he picked Shanna over [x], what a loser", I'd be happy if you told me why exactly that was a losing pick.

flatluigi posted:

i mean, people wouldn't really respond to that one because you're not asking for feedback? taking time to analyze a draft is a bit of effort and not everyone enjoys or wants goons to post about why they think the draft wasn't good
In the first post (and the draft I posted before), I did have some specific questions (take Shanna out? Island or no?) and nobody answered that - again, if it's blindingly obvious and you just roll your eyes at the dumb question, my ego can take it.

It is insane to me that you're having so much success with an archetype I don't consider good at all; I tried it (and posted about it too) and it was middling at best. But I had the same experience with WB, which just kept screwing me over, but there's a lot of people who told me "no it's great actually???" and it took me a while of asking around and listening to podcasts etc. to identify why - it's the same "picks 8-12" problem above. It's clear that Missionary is a slam pick, but is Soultender better than Rager? Is Sleeper actually good (it is)? Herbalist playable (not if you can avoid it)? etc.
Do you have any stealth god cards for Rakdos?

MikeC posted:

I think everyone who loves DMU drafting has pretty much mined as much info as they are gonna get by this stage so its not like the first few weeks where people were trying to see what works and what isn't. The format is largely solved (but still fun to draft) so there is less and less value in draft posts I think.

I personally don't know if BRO can come close to DMU. DMU literally got me back to playing magic regularly and its a tough act to follow.
I did figure that too, thanks for sharing it out loud.

Personally, I'm at the stage where I clearly didn't actually solve the format, and I'm just always interested in going "oooh this is actually good/this is worse than I thought". I love learning and realizing things, that's why I post about this so much. That's another reason why I took Shanna: I wanted to see if I could pull off the god turn of Bite Down with Shanna, draw 3 cards.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah, I'm p much done with drafting DMU, it was a killer set and the one I enjoyed drafting the most since I started playing arena during STX. Cracked all my packs so I finally have some wildcards to make some decks that arent the few holdovers i have that managed to survive rotation. *plays some standard* uhhhh.... yikes. Hope brothers war is good!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DMU rules. Haven't been able to draft it as much as I would have wanted tbh but maybe I can get a few more in before Brothers war takes over

wei
Jul 27, 2006
My interest fell off hard after the first two weeks, but DMU should hold up fine in a flashback. One or two tiers below my favourites ELD, KHM and NEO. Pretty glad I got to do this month's rank climb playing ELD instead.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
NEO is still my favorite format of all time. I don’t care for eldraine but I recognize that it is objectively well designed and the gameplay is good.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

DMU is the best limited set since RNA

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
As people were talking about white “disable” cards in Brawl, don’t forget that blue have those too. Casting a one mana Witness Protection or flashing in a 1U Mystic Subdual will prompt an instant concede from a lot of commanders.

Edit: even green has Kenrith’s Transformation which puts a clock on yourself, but it’s a cantrip.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

But man did I love WAR limited.

Maybe because I had the most objectively-positive ratio. But it never felt solved / predictable as the other good draft sets did.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Print more Pioneer directly into Standard please:

https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1586032357630304256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Simply Simon posted:

I usually only raredraft if I don't see anything in the pack I deem absolutely crucial;

i'd personally rather try to send signals to the other people at your draft table over raredrafting, but it's hard to really know how well signalling works on arena when you can't actually see what pools shook out. i try to go 'okay, i had to pass up a bunch of solid green and white because my early picks were very strong in blue and black; i'm going to try to keep feeding the rest of the table those colors if i'm left with cards i'm probably not running anyway.' think about how many times you've picked up four or five cards at the end of a pack in all the same color and gone 'well that's open, maybe i should look into that color'

mostly it's just that the best feeling in draft is successfully wheeling a good card in your colors because you've been trying to send good signals, and i've done that to a potential p3p1 more than once