Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

There, proof...not that anyone was asking for it.

It was a big deal for me.

That's pretty neat, and also looking at this made me realize I had read this book in the past completely at random chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Casimir Radon posted:

One of the funny things about Scoundrels is it moves the beginning of the Han/Lando feud even closer to ESB. Originally it seems like it was implied that losing the Falcon to Han was the start, then Crispin has the Ylesia liberation end up with all the smugglers Han brought in getting ripped off, then a comic has it be the Yavin Vassilika affair start it. Zahn has Lando kind of, if not forgive him for these past issues, at least grit his teeth because he needs some money.

But it makes ESB even better character wise. From Han's POV Lando had forgiven him for a lot of bullshit over the years so I am sure he will this time now that I am in serious poo poo. From Lando's POV is that it's a piling up of all of Han's BS and now this final one is threatening to destroy his home and community he build by himself and all he loves.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah but at the same time the timeline around the OT just kept getting more crowded all the time so eventually if Disney hadn’t bought them out we’d probably have ended up with even more Han and Lando feud backstory.

Did anyone ever read The Princess and the Scoundrel?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

Did anyone ever read The Princess and the Scoundrel?

I did

It was...fine. Sweet, even. Foreshadowing some events for TFA, but overall I found it rather flat

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember back in 2016 there were fake listings that went up showing that Denning had been hired to write a new trilogy in the post-ROTJ Disney canon and I am so glad that, for all its faults, the new Disney era has remained free of both him and Traviss.

It’s kind of funny that while Traviss herself seem to be effectively exiled from the franchise, The Mandalorian draws prominently on details of mandalorian culture that are recognisable as originating in her books, even if they are altered and reframed a bit in Disney continuity

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The trick of Mandalorians is that they're so malleable as a stock warrior archetype that every interpretation of them is equally valid, even the pacifist movement. Beyond the armour and fighting the thing that seemingly defines Mandos is their complete inability to ever agree on what a true Mandalorian should be like. It only took some minor rejigging to make pretty much all of the Traviss lore fit in with everything written after her departure.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Slashrat posted:

It’s kind of funny that while Traviss herself seem to be effectively exiled from the franchise, The Mandalorian draws prominently on details of mandalorian culture that are recognisable as originating in her books, even if they are altered and reframed a bit in Disney continuity

At the time Traviss stormed off, I definitely did not expect that we would someday get a live action Star Wars product where “beskar” was repeatedly used.

Actually, has Traviss ever commented on the show? Although I would be surprised if she’s actually seen it. I’m also sure she would hate Book of Boba Fett, but I wonder if she’d like Mandalorian.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Chairman Capone posted:

Actually, has Traviss ever commented on the show? Although I would be surprised if she’s actually seen it. I’m also sure she would hate Book of Boba Fett, but I wonder if she’d like Mandalorian.

Din didn’t immediately headshot baby yoda the moment he used the force, 0/10 not my Mando

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hard Mandos making hard choices. Stomp my head with your Beskar boots Mando daddy.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Make D’harhan canon again!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I hope people are watching Andor, because it's the best Star Wars has been in a long time. And I say that as a fan of Mandalorian.

But I wanted to mention that the most recent episode makes a reference to something from Children of the Jedi. Which is funny because the Obi-Wan show mentioned some other stuff from that book. It's really funny that Children of the freaking Jedi of all classic EU books is getting this amount of attention.

Also, in terms of other EU lore, the Ghorman Massacre gets brought up a few times and Mon Mothma's daughter from I think the Dark Empire WEG sourcebook appears. Also Starkiller's evil armor from the alternate ending of Force Unleashed.

But outside of those fun easter eggs it's just a good show. Especially if you want to see Coruscant get fleshed out.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
What was the children of the Jedi reference? I must have missed it.

It really is possibly the best Star Wars has been.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Belsavis getting namedropped, I'm guessing

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I don't know how to deal with a live action Star Wars show being genuinely great, and not just Good-by-Star-Wars-Standards

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Slashrat posted:

Yeah. In Obi-Wan it was Djinn Altis and Roganda Ismaren.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

cptn_dr posted:

I don't know how to deal with a live action Star Wars show being genuinely great, and not just Good-by-Star-Wars-Standards

Part of me is wondering if the novelty of Star Wars Doing Prestige Television is carrying the show somewhat, but... even so. I can't think of a single EU work that does close as good a job of exploring the world that people live in or building tension out of elements that have become trite.

Mostly, this makes me yearn for the world where the Gilroys had total control over Rogue One instead of being brought in at the last minute.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

There, proof...not that anyone was asking for it.

It was a big deal for me.

I've got a handful of signed Star Wars books but nothing from Zahn sadly. Also sadly is all the personalized ones are made out to my deadname and while I can maybe meet some of these authors at cons or something and get them amended, my signed copy of Starfighters of Adumar will remain misnamed

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Slashrat posted:

Belsavis is also a main story planet in The Old Republic, where it's a Republic prison planet.

I like that Belsavis and Narkina 5 both use "islands" to keep the prisoners contained, with Narkina's being manmade and the ones on Belsavis being natural.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It looked like Tales of the Jedi came out. Anyone watch it yet? Kind of disappointed that it looks like it’s prequel era rather than the KOTOR era of the 90s comics.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I've only flipped through it so far, mostly to remind myself how drat good that Clone Wars style of animation worked. I dislike a lot of digital animation, but they really nailed the style: realistic proportions, but very geometric, like a kind of ultra-high resolution version of Nintendo 64 characters.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

It looked like Tales of the Jedi came out. Anyone watch it yet? Kind of disappointed that it looks like it’s prequel era rather than the KOTOR era of the 90s comics.

It's...fine

The Dooku episodes (Justice, Choices, The Sith Lord) are the better story of the bunch

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Casimir Radon posted:

I finished it and it’s split into two character focused, with a few episodes focused on Ahsoka and the rest to Dooku. The Dooku episodes are fantastic, they help capture why he becomes so jaded with the republic and Jedi order. The Ahsoka episodes were very meh, I’m sick of seeing her in every show. We didn’t need an episode where she tames a tiger as a baby, Christ.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I actually just finished reading Plagueis the other day, I was shocked at how enjoyable reading a book from the perspective of two of the most evil beings in the galaxy actually was. I really enjoyable the part where Sidious finally offs Plagueis, I had an inkling given that it was near the end of the book, that would be the scene where it happened, but the constant wine drinking and Sidious fretting over the speech just kept building up the dread level in a really neat way. I did find it intensely ironic that Sidious started lecturing Plagueis about how 'he wasn't about the whole 'Rule of Two' phenomena', and yet as soon as Sidious is Master he's looking for a way to make sure Vader never overthrows him, and to help him live forever (clones!), but I guess that's just the Sith way.

Really good book, also liked how it did so much set-up for The Phantom Menace, so that the conflict actually felt weighty.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 31, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I actually just finished reading Plagueis the other day, I was shocked at how enjoyable reading a book from the perspective of two of the most evil beings in the galaxy actually was. I really enjoyable the part where [i]Sidious finally offs Plagueis, I had an inkling given that it was near the end of the book, that would be the scene where it happened, but the constant wine drinking and Sidious fretting over the speech just kept building up the dread level in a really neat way. I did find it intensely ironic that Sidious started lecturing Plagueis about how 'he wasn't about the whole 'Rule of Two' phenomena', and yet as soon as Sidious is Master he's looking for a way to make sure Vader never overthrows him, and to help him live forever (clones!), but I guess that's just the Sith way.[/spoiler]

Really good book, also liked how it did so much set-up for The Phantom Menace, so that the conflict actually felt weighty.

yeah. i do like the naboo of basically being hosed up version of crisis plus an october surprise that helps a dark horse senator win an election for a crisis and emergency election he causes. i genuinly like old canon palpatine going from a hosed up joffery kid to some quiet monster who can play a very very long game only to gently caress up at the point of victory because he lets his hate cloud his judgement.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hey Krytos Trap, you don't need to remind me every 5 pages that Corellians have no use for statistics/the odds/whatever. Also attributing a one-off line from the movie from one character and making it some cultural signifier is something that has always really annoyed me about EU stuff.

EDIT: On the other hand, I'm enjoying Krytos Trap better than Rogue Squadron/Wedge Gamble. Even though I know the twist in the ending, it is genuinely gripping as the book accelerates towards its conclusion, and I even kinda liked the trial scenes, although there are some things about the entire murder situation that don't make much sense to me (like, for example Corran being so sure he had seen Loor in the cantina with Tycho, but then in the end we find out that he only saw him from behind, didn't see his face and only thought it was Loor due to his height. I guess there's something to be said about him filling in the gaps and fooling himself, but none of the characterisation of Corran seems to suggest that he is someone that would reach such conclusion so easily, especially considering his past in CorSec.).

Still, apart from minor issues, it's a pretty entertaining book.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 1, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Currently finishing up Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor very interesting book but my gosh, there's just so much happening and so much detail it's overwhelming at times to read. I don't mind smart writing, but I feel like Stover here threw everything but the kitchen sink into Shadowspawn's strategy to capture a Jedi.

Also, is BlackHole/Shadowspawn from other books. The way he is written about here it seems like he must be a recurring antagonist from previous books, he's too familiar to be a brand new character I feel.

And which order do Zahn's Allegiances and Choices of One go in?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Allegiance comes before Choices of One.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Currently finishing up Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor very interesting book but my gosh, there's just so much happening and so much detail it's overwhelming at times to read. I don't mind smart writing, but I feel like Stover here threw everything but the kitchen sink into Shadowspawn's strategy to capture a Jedi.

Also, is BlackHole/Shadowspawn from other books. The way he is written about here it seems like he must be a recurring antagonist from previous books, he's too familiar to be a brand new character I feel.

Shadowspawn is from a newspaper comic from 19 loving 79. Stover loves his deep cuts.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’m in the middle of Traitor, yup I’m reading the whole series again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Shadowspawn is from a newspaper comic from 19 loving 79. Stover loves his deep cuts.

Not quite - Blackhole was from the newspaper comic, while Shadowspawn was from the 1990s WEG sourcebooks, and Cronal was I think from another WEG book, and I remember a lot of the early 2000s reference works played with tying them all together, and then abandoned trying to because everyone was getting confused and doing different things, and then I remember everyone being surprised when Stover actually did run with tying them all together.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

One of Abel Peña's articles first made Cronal and Blackhole the same person. Him also being Shadowspawn was first officially established by Stover, but that idea had been floating around in the fandom beforehand. There was also an idea (I think floated by Peña) that he could also be tied to Atha Prime, the villain of a cancelled Kenner toyline/post-ROTJ story, but that one never went anywhere.

E: As I think about it, the Shadowspawn and Atha Prime connections might have been something Peña was planning to include in the same article, but got cut.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 11, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Chairman Capone posted:

Not quite - Blackhole was from the newspaper comic, while Shadowspawn was from the 1990s WEG sourcebooks, and Cronal was I think from another WEG book, and I remember a lot of the early 2000s reference works played with tying them all together, and then abandoned trying to because everyone was getting confused and doing different things, and then I remember everyone being surprised when Stover actually did run with tying them all together.

T-trap sprung, nerd. I was just testing you!!!!!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It does make me laugh to think about how invested I was in debating and theorizing over extremely minor EU minutiae like this on TFN two decades ago. I'm certain I hadn't thought the name "Cronal" in years before today. I do miss getting that kind of enjoyment out of things. But I guess even before the Disney buyout the Star Wars media empire was getting less and less able to support those kinds of things.

Whatever happened to Abel Pena? I feel like him and a ton of other of the fans-turned-authors from that era just kind of disappeared, or in the case of Pablo Hidalgo seemed very eager to ignore that part of their lives.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Chairman Capone posted:

Whatever happened to Abel Pena? I feel like him and a ton of other of the fans-turned-authors from that era just kind of disappeared, or in the case of Pablo Hidalgo seemed very eager to ignore that part of their lives.
Looks like he hasn't done anything in Star Wars since 2015, but seems like he's active on Twitter, lot of Star Wars and current events stuff. I met him at one of the Star Wars Celebrations, nice guy.

Also isn't Pablo basically running Star Wars continuity right now?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
He's currently listed as a Creative Executive at Lucasfilm, so pretty much, yeah.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So a side note of connecting everything, the female sith in Dark Forces 2, Serris, was retconned to be Cronal's daughter.

And then it gets seriously gross and lovely.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

bunnyofdoom posted:

So a side note of connecting everything, the female sith in Dark Forces 2, Serris, was retconned to be Cronal's daughter.

And then it gets seriously gross and lovely.

:catstare:

How the gently caress did that get approved. That would have been just after Stover plucked a random old villain from obscurity and made him kind of interesting, too. Thanks, Abel G. Peña and Daniel Wallace.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I uh….had not seen that factoid before.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't read Shadows of Mindor or heard about this connection to Serriss. What happened that was so bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I haven't read Shadows of Mindor or heard about this connection to Serriss. What happened that was so bad?
It’s not in the book but according to Wookiepedia there’s some RPG supplement that implies rape and incest.