Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

https://twitter.com/VeraMBergen/status/1585633516074979331

How is this guy an elected official? This is the guy that had all of his siblings come out against him holding elected office. He is pretty much one of the last people I would consider up to the challenge of sorting this out....I dunno maybe Gohmert would be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ManBoyChef posted:

How is this guy an elected official? This is the guy that had all of his siblings come out against him holding elected office. He is pretty much one of the last people I would consider up to the challenge of sorting this out....I dunno maybe Gohmert would be worse.

He's running unopposed. It's loving crazy.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ManBoyChef posted:

Isn't this super unconstitutional?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

PeterWeller posted:

He's running unopposed. It's loving crazy.

Since Arizona drew their maps in 2012, Gosar's won by 40% each election.

Since I was curious and looked it up since it was D in the other direction beforehand, turns out they just massively redrew it: Gosar's in AZ-4 in the post map.

Here's the pre-2012 map: https://azredistricting.org/2001/Final/CongFinal.jpg

and post: https://www.azredistricting.org/Maps/Tentative-Final-Maps/Congressional/maps/Tentative%20Final%20Congressional%20Map%20-%20Statewide.jpg

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mooseontheloose posted:

No, it's just against "norms." Not too different in that sense from Pelosi going to Taiwan without the Biden admin's approval a couple months ago. It's ok, all dying empires have their ruling cliques manipulated by rival outsiders.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's potentially a Logan Act violation, but the act's not reliably been enforced, which makes it difficult to enforce now.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also the US economy grew 2.6% which mysteriously isn't talked about because we need to fit the economy is a disaster because of Joe Biden narrative.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

All this is going to lead to is the Fed slamming the 'raise rates' button even harder

Dems haven't even bothered to defend the economy (which they absolutely should considering that most inflationary issues are outside of the President and the Fed's control, and companies are also being very greedy and raising prices under 'inflation') so that narrative isn't going anywhere

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Normal people are hurting. GDP growth rates bear little relation to that. Hell, rent increases count towards the GDP.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

cat botherer posted:

Normal people are hurting. GDP growth rates bear little relation to that.

It does not feel good to be at the grocery store, only to discover you are the marginal consumer.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

cat botherer posted:

Normal people are hurting. GDP growth rates bear little relation to that. Hell, rent increases count towards the GDP.

I get that but unemployment is low and the economy is growing. I agree inflation is a problem but people were declaring recession and doom for the economy and they aren't anywhere to be heard recently.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Mooseontheloose posted:

I get that but unemployment is low and the economy is growing. I agree inflation is a problem but people were declaring recession and doom for the economy and they aren't anywhere to be heard recently.
You are aware how the unemployment (U-3) rate is calculated, right? Also, "the economy is growing" means little in isolation, and that is still going by how the government chooses to calculate the GDP, and the inflation rate. A voter seeing other people get richer, and themselves stay the same, is going to become resentful if anything.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 28, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think you're right that there was a lot more focus on whether there was a "technical recession" 3 months ago than there is now that it is confirmed that we weren't.

But, real income hasn't been going up for about a year. During the first 5 to 7 months of inflation in 2021, wages actually did rise faster than inflation. But, inflation has been outpacing wages for the last 10 months or so. So, people are actually losing relative spending power and have been for a while.

The economy isn't horrible right this second, but it isn't great, has been getting worse for about 10 months, and there's a bunch of dangers (earnings reports, Fed decisions, stock market, low productivity, wages and inflation still growing quickly - with inflation being slightly faster -, and shortages) that it could get a lot worse in the future.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

cat botherer posted:

the powers that b are happy at the growth, they will prolly moderately cheer about this in the news and that will trick some folk

the growth is good news. the price gouging becomes more evident to folks if the economy is “technically” doing good and we’re seeing raiding prices. that’s why I came into this thread a couple days ago asking about economics

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 28, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So Musk officially owns Twitter now?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's official tomorrow.

The era of Musk begins.

He had a call scheduled at 7:45 pm with all Twitter staff that was cancelled. Probably to let them know about stack sorting and the 75% of them that are getting fired.

https://twitter.com/kateconger/status/1585794168177115136

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Automata 10 Pack posted:

the powers that b are happy at the growth, they will prolly moderately cheer about this in the news and that will trick some folk

the growth is good news. the price gouging becomes more evident to folks if the economy is “technically” doing good and we’re seeing raiding prices. that’s why I came into this thread a couple days ago asking about economics
The price gouging is more evident when people are hurting, because the marginal utility of a dollar is higher.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Will this be a twitter renaissance, or is it going straight into the toilet?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The era of Musk begins, and maybe the era of Twitter ends, so it might be worth it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's official tomorrow.

The era of Musk begins.

He had a call scheduled at 7:45 pm with all Twitter staff that was cancelled. Probably to let them know about stack sorting and the 75% of them that are getting fired.

lol that musk fired the GC who, presumably, he is mad at for making him close on twitter

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Going to be super cool when Trump uses it to call for open revolt in two weeks.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Twitter is a bad message board and I’m glad it’s going to die.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Absolutely the latter, which if we're particularly lucky* will finally kill that horrible platform.

*We will not be that lucky.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I AM GRANDO posted:

Realistically, there probably won't be huge changes for the average user for a bit.

The Twitter AI ethics department, health science department (which I didn't even know was a thing), and IT/content moderation department are all getting closed down or severely shunted immediately. Those will be the biggest changes right away, but they won't impact the average Twitter user much (except for maybe the content moderation).

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Twitter is going to bring back Trump's account and Musk will be in charge of the American WeChat and you're all going to be sorry because our country will be in even worse shape.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Vote with you feet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Definitely the latter. He's going to have to cut expenses to an absurd extent and I imagine the place is going to go downhill quickly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

Twitter is going to bring back Trump's account and Musk will be in charge of the American WeChat and you're all going to be sorry because our country will be in even worse shape.
Trump has previously said he would not come back to Twitter because he has his own dumb Twitter clone that he charges for. We'll see if that holds or not.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think that people made too much of the declines in GDP earlier in the year, given how that data is revised over time and the exceptional circumstances of this economic moment, but there are a lot of reasons to be concerned about the economy right now, given the slowing rate of growth, the Fed's monetary tightening regime, and the tighter fiscal regime as compared to the pandemic stimulus period. Also, wages haven't been keeping up with inflation.

cat botherer posted:

You are aware how the unemployment (U-3) rate is calculated, right? Also, "the economy is growing" means little in isolation, and that is still going by how the government chooses to calculate the GDP, and the inflation rate. A voter seeing other people get richer, and themselves stay the same, is going to become resentful if anything.

Doesn't really matter which U you use, or if you use a different employment metric, they are all recovering.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Definitely the latter. He's going to have to cut expenses to an absurd extent and I imagine the place is going to go downhill quickly.

I still think he’s going to cut expenses to the point that the site’s usability is severely impacted, so the quality of the content won’t really matter since you can’t read or create it

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Easiest $42 million ever for Agrawal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sounds like a disaster for Twitter staff and society in the long run, but probably not huge changes for the average user right away.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1585763155568754688

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Deleting my account tomorrow, and blocking Twitter’s hostname.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Yiggy posted:

Easiest $42 million ever for Agrawal.

Dude can't even grief teamkill in the lobby right

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

"wants subs to be 50% of revenue at some point"

Wants to require credit cards to make an account "to help with bots."

Out of all the crazy stuff, this is the most delusional thing Elon has said.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I can't imagine anyone paying a subscription for twitter, no matter what you put behind it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

"wants subs to be 50% of revenue at some point"

Wants to require credit cards to make an account "to help with bots."

Out of all the crazy stuff, this is the most delusional thing Elon has said.
There are a lot of dumb rich people, but he's definitely up there

I don't think he understands that you have to keep users on board to even have a chance to keep the company afloat, and that making major changes are just going to cause people to bail

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's official tomorrow.

The era of Musk begins.

Post says the deal closed already and that's why he could fire the execs: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/10/27/twitter-elon-musk/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f001

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sounds like a disaster for Twitter staff and society in the long run, but probably not huge changes for the average user right away.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1585763155568754688

His...tesla engineers...looking at the code...for twitter. Is that as absurd as it seems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Discendo Vox posted:

His...tesla engineers...looking at the code...for twitter. Is that as absurd as it seems?

Software engineers, presumably. Although I’m not sure I would trust the people responsible for autopilot on whether or not code is horrifying