Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

e: I'm gonna do a few playthroughs first, but how do I "cheat" my way to 6666? Once I've got some proper runs in I'm curious to see how that plays out.

it won’t get you to 6/6/6/6 but Goracy’s Magic Borsch booze will permanently raise your Physique by however many doses it has when you pick it up, with the doses based on your electrochemistry at the time of pick up. It doesn’t fade after an hour like regular alcohol. I’m not sure if this is meant to be like that or if it’s actually bugged. This “bug” was known before The Final Cut and is still in the game, but if you’re a fascist and have the extra strength booze perk going on, it will fade and not be permanent, which does make it seem bugged. I started with 4/3/2/3 and ended with 4/3/6/3 this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

drat. Alright, thanks.

In terms of retrying white skill checks, what are the criteria? I know if you add a point to the skill you can hit it again, but does equipping clothing that boosts the stat qualify? The nice gardener lady gave me some ammonia so I could go puke on the crime scene again, but pulling on a jacket that gave me +1 Empathy didn't let me retry a conversational check with some dude chilling by his car. What's the rule for that kinda stuff?

Clothes won't do it. You need to either A) put a skill point into the appropriate skill, B) do some task or dialog option that gives you a bonus to the skill check (such as obtaining the ammonia in your example) or C) some thoughts will unlock white checks. For instance, the Volumetric poo poo Compressor thought will unlock all Endurance white checks.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

welp guess I'm going to do the Estonian communist run eventually

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

e: I'm gonna do a few playthroughs first, but how do I "cheat" my way to 6666? Once I've got some proper runs in I'm curious to see how that plays out.

Xander77 posted:

NOW there's one last thing. A cheat save for anyone who can't figure out how to edit their own save file:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1589pcsT7v5c9PE0REQfZle6kcB0eub17?usp=sharing

Just drop both files into the save folder.
Pre Final Cut, but I imagine it will work.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ZA/UM need to get their poo poo together and release a physical board game of Suzerainty

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

sebzilla posted:

ZA/UM need to get their poo poo together and release a physical board game of Suzerainty

Just Another Soulless Euro based off of Suzerainty would be exactly the kind of heartless cash-in that is good, actually.

I suspect they'd gently caress it up by adding worker vacations and all the other things you can try to do in Disco itself.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fantastic.

I've never played a Victoria game, I guess now's as good a time as ever to start.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Fantastic.

I've never played a Victoria game, I guess now's as good a time as ever to start.

TBH a good time to start playing any new Paradox game is like a year after its release.

But I hear this one isn't *too* broken, so go for it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't even play it because it keeps crashing. And the systems seem bare bones as hell compared to 2 or Ricky

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sebzilla posted:

look into the board game Puerto Rico

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
I actually never played board games with Kim :( I knew it was an option and always thought I’d do it later, just never did.

I say that to say that I don’t know the mechanics of Suzerainty, but the board game Scythe has some definite DE vibes and art style. It’s like Catan with combat, set in an alternate dieselpunk world.

Speaking of dieselpunk, I’ve thought to myself what -punk DE falls under and I’ve decided that it’s it’s own thing: Mazutpunk! :c00lbert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Megazver posted:

TBH a good time to start playing any new Paradox game is like a year after its release.

But I hear this one isn't *too* broken, so go for it.

I like buy PDX games immediately after they’re released because it’s much easier to keep up with DLC that way.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

I'm catching up on the few available scraps of whatever-the-gently caress-it-was that happened to push Kurvitz/Rostov/Hindpere out of the company, and holy gently caress, I'm aware it's been said a million times, but this is just brutally on the goddamn nose, isn't it? I will perversely acknowledge that it actually kind of makes me like the game...more. Reading about this feels like some kind of hosed up DLC. It's additional content. Pour that poo poo on me, baby.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Three months later they'll reveal it's all an elaborate ARG

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It’s certainly elicited some elaborate args :argh:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

ok so the guy I've been chatting with is asking me for help about how to get through the game but I don't want to spoil stuff for him so it's SO HARD.

Been trying to just give incredibly vague advice so he can find his own path but the only specifics I've told him are that failing checks isn't the end of the world and is just a detour to finding a different solution, keep the tie on and then after he met Morrell to not shower.

Even just giving super vague hints on gameplay makes me feel like I'm cheating him out of experiencing cool poo poo somehow.

He's asked a couple times if he's missed anything fun and I've just had to poker face it and go "eh, it's not the kind of game you ever get 100% on" while internally wailing in dismay at how he's missed out on absurd poo poo like hiding the body in the bear fridge then stealing the boots in the middle of the night deal.

He's loving the writing and whole experience so at least there's that. Getting other people into this game has been a delight but it's also kinda maddening that there are so many ways it can go that any discussion about stuff just feels like one big spoiler.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

the escape goat posted:

He's asked a couple times if he's missed anything fun and I've just had to poker face it and go "eh, it's not the kind of game you ever get 100% on" while internally wailing in dismay at how he's missed out on absurd poo poo like hiding the body in the bear fridge then stealing the boots in the middle of the night deal.

I've played the game three times and I have never stolen the boots. :shrug: I don't think you should sweat over individual things like that.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Nordick posted:

I've played the game three times and I have never stolen the boots. :shrug: I don't think you should sweat over individual things like that.

it’s just so many things that totally tickle me about the game that I want him to see that makes it hard!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A couple of things like finishing the church quest and getting the boots is pretty hard to figure out (and not mess up the timing) on a first playthrough but it makes a second playthrough way better.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Fruits of the sea posted:

A couple of things like finishing the church quest and getting the boots is pretty hard to figure out (and not mess up the timing) on a first playthrough but it makes a second playthrough way better.

Speaking of missing things, I wanted to try and do the "solve the crime without ever getting near the body" cheevo ; but the thread title prompts the question : do you still get to open the thought cabinet if you don't go through the whole getting your poo poo together bit ?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

the escape goat posted:

it’s just so many things that totally tickle me about the game that I want him to see that makes it hard!

i think you're doing fine, especially if he's enjoying it enough to do at least a second playthrough. the less spoilery advice you give the better. imo the only advice you should give a new player is mechanical stuff like how healing to avoid a gameover works, or putting points into skills to reset white checks. it's not really possible to get stuck and need spoilery advice to advance. don't worry about trying to help him see all the highlights; missing stuff on a first playthrough just makes finding it on a later one even more awesome

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Kobal2 posted:

Speaking of missing things, I wanted to try and do the "solve the crime without ever getting near the body" cheevo ; but the thread title prompts the question : do you still get to open the thought cabinet if you don't go through the whole getting your poo poo together bit ?

Yeah, the thought cabinet is always there. It's not unusual to find other thoughts first.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fruits of the sea posted:

A couple of things like finishing the church quest and getting the boots is pretty hard to figure out (and not mess up the timing) on a first playthrough
How? Seriously, how?

You're outright told what you need to do to get the boots, and I'm not sure there's even a way to fail the church quest outside arresting people or waiting to finish it until you're past the point of no return.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

My first run through I just sent the body off with Kim after my first run through the autopsy because I thought I'd covered everything, had no idea about the bullet and so had no chance to get the boots.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

How? Seriously, how?

You're outright told what you need to do to get the boots, and I'm not sure there's even a way to fail the church quest outside arresting people or waiting to finish it until you're past the point of no return.

It can be easy to miss the next thing to do with the church quest (some of the checks are also kind of brutal, but that's just a personal savescumming choice in the end.) I had a bunch of trouble triggering the conversation in the church and finding the password just because of not checking everything, or asking obvious people obvious questions.

OTOH, not finishing the stuff with the church because your detective isn't that kind of guy, is also a thing. So I'm always torn on if to advise anything for Disco Elysium other than, make saves in case of bugging out, try to accept failures, and explaining how healing and skillpoints/whitechecks work.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Xander77 posted:

How? Seriously, how?

For the church I messed up some rolls plus I turned the crank on the ice cream maker on the second day, thinking that would unjam it so I could open it.

I wasn't told about the boots, maybe because of this:

sebzilla posted:

My first run through I just sent the body off with Kim after my first run through the autopsy because I thought I'd covered everything, had no idea about the bullet and so had no chance to get the boots.
I did eventually get a quest to find the armour but it was kinda too late at that point.

I also failed the lorry driver mystery, it can't be completed if the investigation progresses past a certain point.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 28, 2022

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Tylana posted:

Yeah, the thought cabinet is always there. It's not unusual to find other thoughts first.

A'ight, cool. Thanks !

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tylana posted:

So I'm always torn on if to advise anything for Disco Elysium other than, make saves in case of bugging out, try to accept failures, and explaining how healing and skillpoints/whitechecks work.
Watching my friend play through it, so far the only things I’ve told them are mechanical (e.g. the button to highlight interactive objects) and the requirement to hold a bag / prybar to collect tare / open some containers, which I guess they glossed over.

And while I’m thinking about it, why can’t I buy a Frittte! tote bag from the DE merch store :mad:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What I tell friends is

1) first time playing, set your physical stat to 1 and reach for the tie immediately

2) don't skip the crytpid side quest.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Does it still not save after the intro and force you to recreate your character if you die reaching for your tie? The first time I played that kind of pissed me off because I didn't even remember what stats I chose so I lost whatever that playthrough would have been. It would have been funnier if I could have reloaded back in the same room again instead of feeling like it just wasted my time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Did it waste your time though?

Was *value* lost?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If your guy dies trying to get his tie off the fan, it's a complete narrative arc wholly appropriate to the guy you made. You didn't lose what that playthrough would've been, you just completed the playthrough.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

General Battuta posted:

If your guy dies trying to get his tie off the fan, it's a complete narrative arc wholly appropriate to the guy you made. You didn't lose what that playthrough would've been, you just completed the playthrough.
This happened to me on my first playthrough. I wasn't mad; it was amazing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why did so many people try to grab something off a movie fan? Like C'mon

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Savoir faire should be able to do it. :colbert:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

Why did so many people try to grab something off a movie fan? Like C'mon

it's called roleplaying

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Did it waste your time though?

Was *value* lost?

Yes. You personally, actively kept me from the Grind. I'll be billing you for my time AND suing you for the same time but that time I'll call it damages.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

General Battuta posted:

Did not experience fan death until my third restart--which is something I really, really need to train myself out of, since I keep forgetting what game I'm playing--and apart from Measurehead becoming my race mentor I thus far consider it the definitive Disco Elysium experience. Failure really is your best friend.

Speaking of my desire to avoid failure at all costs: How the gently caress does a man make enough money by the end of the first day to stop Kim selling his spinners for you? My only binding principles are that capitalism must be destroyed and the lieutenant's well-being is sacred. I just want my buddy to have his stupid gearhead junk and be happy. I can get Garte down to 60 bucks but that's still a tall order off recycling bottles.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Beg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Did not experience fan death until my third restart--which is something I really, really need to train myself out of, since I keep forgetting what game I'm playing--and apart from Measurehead becoming my race mentor I thus far consider it the definitive Disco Elysium experience. Failure really is your best friend.

Speaking of my desire to avoid failure at all costs: How the gently caress does a man make enough money by the end of the first day to stop Kim selling his spinners for you? My only binding principles are that capitalism must be destroyed and the lieutenant's well-being is sacred. I just want my buddy to have his stupid gearhead junk and be happy. I can get Garte down to 60 bucks but that's still a tall order off recycling bottles.

Talk to Joyce.