Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Even after I dealt with unwinding unprofitable industry to reduce subsidies, and someone helpfully informed me that I could lower government wages, I was still spiraling because of Welfare Payments

Even when I was desperately slashing welfare and bringing it to the minimum guaranteed by law, I was still spending so much... at its worst, 65% of government revenue was going back out as welfare. And there was no longer any politically active interest group who would have wanted to dismantle it anyway lol

So around 1933 I just decided to give up because nothing I could do seemed to fix anything, I had used all the levers available to me to reduce expenses and increase revenue and the welfare rolls were still climbing. The last 3 years I just did handsoff... and somehow the problem fixed itself lol?

The economy is complicated. Even with the economic crisis, Central Americans were still #1 in per capita GDP and had better standard of living than most great powers so I call that a win

Honestly i'm loling at how the game conspired to have the historically accurate economic crisis. I was almost at Great Power status except for that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Playing the Chile tutorial level and I'm not really sure what to do after they stopped holding my hand.

Anything I can build has a predicted outcome of negative productivity (Except for gold mines, which nets me a whopping -0.00 productivity). Also my entire population keeps migrating to the two newly colonized provinces in the south. How am I supposed to build railroads and poo poo if I can afford anything?

always build gold. its free income that provides even more income w later techs

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Playing the Chile tutorial level and I'm not really sure what to do after they stopped holding my hand.

Anything I can build has a predicted outcome of negative productivity (Except for gold mines, which nets me a whopping -0.00 productivity). Also my entire population keeps migrating to the two newly colonized provinces in the south. How am I supposed to build railroads and poo poo if I can afford anything?

Ignore that predicted outcome entirely. It's just not a useful measure. To focus your build priorities, use the market UI and look purely at Sell/Buy order balance and prices to start. Input goods like iron and coal and wood and such you want to build until you've got more sell orders than buy and the prices are cheap on them. Otherwise focus on stuff that's massively overpriced and that has unfulfilled buy orders and work at bringing it down. Don't worry too much about where to put buildings either, just make sure they have a workforce and infrastructure. The market UI is where pretty much everything economic you do needs to start, hopefully they add the sell/buy order info straight to the building UI eventually.

You don't really care -that- much about how much individual buildings are making for themselves, just check in every once in awhile and make sure none of them as completely unprofitable and dig in to see what you need to fix if they are.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Can someone explain to me how I can war to liberate finland or try and force denmark to be my dominion, as sweden? I'm great friends with both countries, both of which are minors, but finland is owned by russia and I can't get a liberate wargoal to appear, and denmark won't go for dominion status because it "has powerful allies", which is me, I'm allies. I'm trying to form scandanavia and can't work it out.

Away all Goats posted:

Lower productivity in a factory is actually usually not a bad thing because it means they're making less money but stuff becomes cheaper for everyone else, so as long as it's going somewhere the economy as a whole benefits. This is kind of counter-intuitive as presented in the game.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

bees everywhere posted:

I'm really enjoying this so far, wish I could pause life and play it more so that's a good sign. I'm on my 2nd ironman attempt as Austria and it's going decently so far despite some setbacks.

A few notes as Austria:
- I think I did the right thing by immediately attacking Prussia in 1836 and taking Silesia while weakening them with other wargoals as much as I could. They have been persistent assholes against their smaller neighbors ever since so I think I need to keep trying to cripple them before they blob out of control.

- Attacking the Ottomans while they were getting smashed by Egypt was a bad idea. Egypt took Istanbul which moved the Ottoman capital to Anatolia, so I was unable to capture it without violating Egyptian sovereignty. By the time the Ottomans were willing to accept my terms, their subjects had all broken away - my only wargoals were to transfer subjects, so I had to end the war in a white peace. A huge waste.

- Backing the little guys against Prussia is another waste / bad idea, and here is something that annoys me right now. The player doesn't get to add their own wargoals, but the AI can add wargoals to the player. So that's how I found myself defending Oldenburg against France & Prussia at the risk of losing Tyrol myself but with nothing to gain except a truce timer. I'm assuming it's possible the AI can try to persuade you by offering wargoals but I haven't seen it yet, so for now it seems like you should only take sides if you 100% need to protect an AI state for one reason or another.

I’m playing as Austria as well and found that you have to keep hammering Prussia to keep them down. I’ve jumped into almost every diplomatic play to defend the smaller states (mostly so I can gobble them up later) and I think I’m about to totally eclipse Prussia. My army is both bigger and better teched and several of the diplomatic plays have ended with Prussia having to release stuff. Very fun nation to play, can really recommend it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zeron posted:

Ignore that predicted outcome entirely. It's just not a useful measure. To focus your build priorities, use the market UI and look purely at Sell/Buy order balance and prices to start. Input goods like iron and coal and wood and such you want to build until you've got more sell orders than buy and the prices are cheap on them. Otherwise focus on stuff that's massively overpriced and that has unfulfilled buy orders and work at bringing it down. Don't worry too much about where to put buildings either, just make sure they have a workforce and infrastructure. The market UI is where pretty much everything economic you do needs to start, hopefully they add the sell/buy order info straight to the building UI eventually.

You don't really care -that- much about how much individual buildings are making for themselves, just check in every once in awhile and make sure none of them as completely unprofitable and dig in to see what you need to fix if they are.

in addition to this the population needs are a good way to figure out broader expansionary needs that you can then fix the supply line for by watching the market

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

spectralent posted:

Can someone explain to me how I can war to liberate finland or try and force denmark to be my dominion, as sweden? I'm great friends with both countries, both of which are minors, but finland is owned by russia and I can't get a liberate wargoal to appear, and denmark won't go for dominion status because it "has powerful allies", which is me, I'm allies. I'm trying to form scandanavia and can't work it out.

You should have a Transfer Subject play available to push on Russia, or you can just annex it outright.

I doubt it's possible to get Denmark to voluntarily become a protectorate, they're quite big. You get claims on their stuff if you form Scandinavia since once you do they're you're homelands, so making plays for it is fairly low infamy.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Stux posted:

always build gold. its free income that provides even more income w later techs

Chile is at a low enough population that building a bunch of gold mines sucks up all your labour and makes it hard to develop the rest of your economy.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Stux posted:

yeah basically. a pop has needs to fufill and if those needs are adequately met by their income they will have a surplus and begin spending it on more food, clothing, whatever else. this keeps increasing as they have wealth beyond their needs, and their needs increase at the same time. expect.

Thanks for the in depth response!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

What determines how many of your provinces break away in a civil war? Is it random? I pissed the Shogunate off enough to rebel and they took away basically the entire country except my capital region so it was an unwinnable war.

it is any province where the rebelling IG is in charge. in japan, when the landlords (shogunate) rebel, thats pretty much the whole country because everywhere in japan is dominated by aristocratic landlords except for the places you're carving out a new industrial economy

japan is streamlined and powerful compared to many other countries in the game, but you do have to deal with the turbo landlords who own everything and have immense bonuses to prop up their clout. you can't one weird trick them like in smaller nations, just destroy all your agriculture, import food staples, and employ the peasants in factories and poof! no more landlords! japan is closed to trade and has like 10 million peasants so the landlords can only be dismantled by the long, slow process of passing laws

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zikan posted:

You probably have to switch production methods at all your barracks and conscripts centers in the third tab on the building screen. Japan has a similar mission and it took me ages to figure out a part that was exactly like that since I hadn’t done any army stuff up to that point.

in the what now

:mad:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Stux posted:

this is immediately going to dip once i take peru-bolivias oil and rubber rich province they refuse to develop, but my lower class has the same SOL as american upper class lol
The SOL of different classes aren't directly comparable, are they? Like, the "Impoverished" Upper Strata in this screenshot are just whining about not being able to afford as much expensive wine and fancy clothes as they'd like, right? While the American upper class of the same SOL as your lower class are getting their need for fancy clothes fulfilled to the same level as your lower strata are having their need for regular clothes fulfilled.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i played a bit last night and took japan to 1876 or so. i've finally broken the hold of the shogunate over the past 10 years and am reforming laws. abolishing serfdom really broke my economy for a few years so i had to battle with bringing my income back to sane levels for a while. i feel i have a modern military and positive cash flow along with reasonable taxes and funding levels. have been considering attempting to move into indochina as just the next thing to do to expand. questions:

- how much building capacity should i have? i didnt build much at first and im just now expanding the construction industry. i have 40, but that doesnt seem like much
- now that my trade borders are open, how much should i be trading? i spent so much time focused on my isolated economy i haven't given much thought to trade
- what should my next steps be? is conquering indochina a good move?

i basically have no barometer for how well i'm doing

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also is there a good way to tell at a glance who is radicalized and why? i go into a state (hokkaido in my case) and see a bunch of pops are impoverished or starving and i guess that's probably it but i can't see their actual attitude or anything anywhere. also stux posted a pic of what pops need for fulfillment, where is that?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is it just me or is the final level of worker protection a massive trap and strictly inferior to the second to last level until it's like 1925?

Regulations reduce workplaces death (to -100% at level 5). Workers' rights keep that, and add a 10%/level minimum wage.
The way the law works, industries must pay workers at least a fraction of the average wage across your incorporated states, even if they're not profitable enough. If they can't make enough cash, they first use cash reserves and then start firing people.
And whoops, here's 20% unemployment and a dead budget.

I'm going to give the devs the benefit of the doubt and assume the average wage calculations are done sensibly and don't lead to runaway scenarios, but I think the effect should be halved, capping at a minimum wage of 25% of the average wage. Population growth through reduced deaths is too useful to give up.

EDIT: minimum wage is strictly a negative the way the simulation works because if the industry can't pay the pop it simply fires them and Regulations has the actually useful death reduction at same power.

EDIT 2: the communism journal points to level 5 workers' rights. Since under council republic ALL profit made by the industry goes into the workers pockets one way or the other, the effect is completely useless.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 28, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The SOL of different classes aren't directly comparable, are they? Like, the "Impoverished" Upper Strata in this screenshot are just whining about not being able to afford as much expensive wine and fancy clothes as they'd like, right? While the American upper class of the same SOL as your lower class are getting their need for fancy clothes fulfilled to the same level as your lower strata are having their need for regular clothes fulfilled.

Isn't the number the standard? So a Lower Strata American with a value of (18) would have the same level of material well being as, say, a Mexican Middle Strata with (18) QoL.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the upper class are 100% unemployed as all my industry is co-op owned and theyre only subsisting off of welfare payments. my lower classes are living like this

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Stux posted:

the upper class are 100% unemployed as all my industry is co-op owned and theyre only subsisting off of welfare payments. my lower classes are living like this

lol at the welfare queen rich people but where do you see what's in that image stux?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I actually miss spying. I want to send agitators to help the US explode so I can gain Independance more easily.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

also is there a good way to tell at a glance who is radicalized and why? i go into a state (hokkaido in my case) and see a bunch of pops are impoverished or starving and i guess that's probably it but i can't see their actual attitude or anything anywhere. also stux posted a pic of what pops need for fulfillment, where is that?

its in the population break down in the pop tab, or alternatively you can directly look at the pops working in a given industry in a region by clicking thru to the building and looking at the pops there

Omobono posted:

Is it just me or is the final level of worker protection a massive trap* and strictly inferior to the second to last level until it's like 1925?

Regulations reduce workplaces death (to -100% at level 5). Workers' rights keep that, and add a 10%/level minimum wage.
The way the law works, industries must pay workers at least a fraction of the average wage across your incorporated states, even if they're not profitable enough. If they can't make enough cash, they first use cash reserves and then start firing people.
And whoops, here's 20% unemployment and a dead budget.

I'm going to give the devs the benefit of the doubt and assume the average wage calculations are done sensibly and don't lead to runaway scenarios, but I think the effect should be halved, capping at a minimum wage of 25% of the average wage. Population growth through reduced deaths is too useful to give up.

it can be sustained, ive had it on with a balanced budget but i have to turn it down sometimes, notably when ive brought a new region into my country from a much lower wealth country its usually too much until theyve caught up w everyone else

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol at the welfare queen rich people but where do you see what's in that image stux?

that specifically is nested in the net income tooltip in a pops details, the needs amount is underlined and pops that out

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stux posted:

it can be sustained,

Oh, I have no doubt, I can see how (make sure all industries have similar profitability).
It's just as per my second edit, that law doesn't really help people if they've already eaten the rich. Without capitalists, the profits when the industry has full cash go to the low and middle strata instead .

Admittedly for government owned industries in a command economy there is a point, because if the government keeps the profits then it shouldn't be allowed to capitalist it up on vulnerable workers, but when the industry (and the profits) are worker owned the problem isn't there.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Isn't the number the standard? So a Lower Strata American with a value of (18) would have the same level of material well being as, say, a Mexican Middle Strata with (18) QoL.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time Paradox was a bit loose with terminology for brevity's sake. Turns out that apparently it's the categorization of pops that's screwy/the existence of upper class strata at all:

Stux posted:

the upper class are 100% unemployed as all my industry is co-op owned and theyre only subsisting off of welfare payments.
Like, at that point you have to wonder what Upper Strata even means? Outside perhaps those being reactionary fifth columnists who would immediately sell their country out to foreign interests in the hope they'd get to own all that poo poo again.

Are they disappearing over time?

Yor Fizzlebeef
Nov 7, 2010

Can you feel it?
I have been playing with Sweden in tutorial mode and have encountered a bit of a problem. I engaged in a war with Denmark in which Russia joined in on the enemy side. I managed to capitulate Denmark but I am still in a war with Russia, only that there doesn't seem to any front to deploy my generals to! I am just sitting around with my mobilized troops sucking up funding without any way to resolve this war. What the hell?

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Wow I'm sure glad I found out that if I right-click on a state I bring up a context menu full of interesting buffs like encouraging migration that I don't think are available anywhere else! How well signposted!

Seriously though I'm enjoying the hell out of the game, I think it's great and honestly just what I wanted out of Victoria 3. But the way in which some things are hidden (pop needs?? Which pops are radical????) is confounding.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yor Fizzlebeef posted:

I have been playing with Sweden in tutorial mode and have encountered a bit of a problem. I engaged in a war with Denmark in which Russia joined in on the enemy side. I managed to capitulate Denmark but I am still in a war with Russia, only that there doesn't seem to any front to deploy my generals to! I am just sitting around with my mobilized troops sucking up funding without any way to resolve this war. What the hell?

You would need to either naval invade Russia (and good luck with that) or just wait around until Russia agrees to a peace.

Green Wing posted:

Wow I'm sure glad I found out that if I right-click on a state I bring up a context menu full of interesting buffs like encouraging migration that I don't think are available anywhere else! How well signposted!

Seriously though I'm enjoying the hell out of the game, I think it's great and honestly just what I wanted out of Victoria 3. But the way in which some things are hidden (pop needs?? Which pops are radical????) is confounding.

They're in the lenses, but yeah, it definitely doesn't explain itself well enough.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Green Wing posted:

Pop needs definitely need to be more visible, and a button similar to good prices but for pop consumer needs/satisfaction isn't a terrible idea. Having to hold over two tooltips to see it is kinda absurd.

Or am I missing another nested source of info?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Omobono posted:

Oh, I have no doubt, I can see how (make sure all industries have similar profitability).
It's just as per my second edit, that law doesn't really help people if they've already eaten the rich. Without capitalists, the profits when the industry has full cash go to the low and middle strata instead .

Admittedly for government owned industries in a command economy there is a point, because if the government keeps the profits then it shouldn't be allowed to capitalist it up on vulnerable workers, but when the industry (and the profits) are worker owned the problem isn't there.

it helps me because income tax has a scale i can adjust and dividends are a flat rate

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, it wouldn't be the first time Paradox was a bit loose with terminology for brevity's sake. Turns out that apparently it's the categorization of pops that's screwy/the existence of upper class strata at all:

Like, at that point you have to wonder what Upper Strata even means? Outside perhaps those being reactionary fifth columnists who would immediately sell their country out to foreign interests in the hope they'd get to own all that poo poo again.

they were down to 200 individuals total at one point lol but ive got some more currently that i inherited from a couple of provinces i took

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

i played a bit last night and took japan to 1876 or so. i've finally broken the hold of the shogunate over the past 10 years and am reforming laws. abolishing serfdom really broke my economy for a few years so i had to battle with bringing my income back to sane levels for a while. i feel i have a modern military and positive cash flow along with reasonable taxes and funding levels. have been considering attempting to move into indochina as just the next thing to do to expand. questions:

- how much building capacity should i have? i didnt build much at first and im just now expanding the construction industry. i have 40, but that doesnt seem like much
- now that my trade borders are open, how much should i be trading? i spent so much time focused on my isolated economy i haven't given much thought to trade
- what should my next steps be? is conquering indochina a good move?

i basically have no barometer for how well i'm doing

Building capacity is a moving target - the rule of thumb is “build enough so that you’re slightly in deficit when building, but not much.” If you have a huge sustained treasury surplus you can build more construction sectors - if you’re heavily in debt you’ve probably built too much and it’d be good to have a plan to build your way out of debt.

As for trade, depends on how much you’re willing to throw yourself to the mercy of the international market. For maximum profits you should import anything you can’t or don’t want to produce but need for whatever reason (IE if you lack dyes for luxury clothing, or you want grain but don’t want a lot of landowners growing it stinking up the place) while ideally exporting “finished” goods like clothes or furniture as long as you have a surplus and aren’t eating into your own pop’s needs too much. It’s also possible to make a decent profit exporting industrial goods like steel and motors, but keep in mind you may want to keep those in your market later since they’re input goods for a lot of useful things.

Edit: on the other hand going hard on trade means if a trade route ever gets cut off for whatever reason (like, say, becoming an enemy of a trade partner) you’re turbo-boned, and the more you rely on trade the harder you crash when it goes wrong so trying yo be cautious about trade routes is perfectly valid, even if GDP doesn’t go up as fast.

As for first steps, depends on what you want to do but SE Asia in general has a bunch of resources that will come in handy later. Just keep an eye on your infamy if you’re going to conquer anything - even a small amount of infamy can throw existing diplomatic arrangements out of whack for a while as countries look at you with a jaundiced eye.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 28, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Strata are literally defined by the job category the POP has. Upper Strata are Landowners and Capitalists, if they remain unemployed they are still those jobs and will be counted in that stratum

Yor Fizzlebeef
Nov 7, 2010

Can you feel it?

Hellioning posted:

You would need to either naval invade Russia (and good luck with that) or just wait around until Russia agrees to a peace.

They're in the lenses, but yeah, it definitely doesn't explain itself well enough.

I guess I'll just wait it out and hope for the best. Seems strange that the game doesn't generate a frontline on the Finnish border, since they are in a personal union with Russia. Feels a bit janky to me.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Star posted:

I’m playing as Austria as well and found that you have to keep hammering Prussia to keep them down. I’ve jumped into almost every diplomatic play to defend the smaller states (mostly so I can gobble them up later) and I think I’m about to totally eclipse Prussia. My army is both bigger and better teched and several of the diplomatic plays have ended with Prussia having to release stuff. Very fun nation to play, can really recommend it.

Austria’s definitely a fun one. Lots of economic and diplomatic stuff to do, and a ton of potential locked away behind regressive laws and IGs.

What’s your economic strategy with Austria? I’m a few decades in and there’s just so many states and pops that I’ve mostly been spamming basic industry to (barely) keep staple goods affordable.

Dayton Sports Bar fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 28, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Chile is at a low enough population that building a bunch of gold mines sucks up all your labour and makes it hard to develop the rest of your economy.

OTOH, with the money you make from the gold, you can import a lot of the goods you need at a loss and then subsidize your trade center. Trade routes only take 1000 workers to maintain, so it's more labor efficient.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Turns out my problem as newly formed Italy was I had to incorporate the states I absorbed :v: now I am 6th great power and I just turned on all the best production methods and my market isn't collapsing in a pile of rubble!

I am also so big that I don't really know what I am doing anymore, just know that I need more clothes for the clothes god

italy is in a great position to do lots of things. punch the ottomans for albanian iron and tobacco, colonize, liberalize, w/e you want to do. since you have overland trade with austria and france you can really entangle your economy with theirs through imports/exports to start pushing standard of living up with things like cheap groceries that are basically out of reach for most countries in the early game. you have basically infinite peasants so income is the only limit on building

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oops. Looks like Improving Relations on puppets is a trap if you want to annex them in the end, since there is a relationship limit on that action. So now I have to expel some diplomats and get more bad boy before I bring them in to the fold.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
The number one thing I want is more names for countries. The flag changing just isn't enough

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Puppets are a trap in general. Good for free money/war support, but the AI economies are dire and if they have a resource you want there's no way to get them to build there without annexing. But annexing is a full diplomatic play, which means you might end up trapped in a war with another major power. Just conquering them outright is generally the best, especially if you are after oil/rubber.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Stux posted:

they were down to 200 individuals total at one point lol but ive got some more currently that i inherited from a couple of provinces i took
It is kinda funny that they get to take up that much screen space when they've been neutered like this. They should be stuffed into a new lumpen strata. Though given historical precedent, it is also possible there are zoos where people can come and gawk at these weird relics of the past.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Strata are literally defined by the job category the POP has. Upper Strata are Landowners and Capitalists, if they remain unemployed they are still those jobs and will be counted in that stratum
But like, a capitalist is defined by owning poo poo and having other people make money for them. If everyone is in a co-op, no capitalist should be able to exist. They are also unemployed, so it's really more the kind of job they'd like to have, which, given that that sort of job apparently can't exist in the country should automatically "demote" them to lower or middle strata. I would kinda suspect that a co-op only country would also have gotten rid of landowners, who are parasites even in the eyes of other parasites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

Austria’s definitely a fun one. Lots of economic and diplomatic stuff to do, and a ton of potential locked away behind regressive laws and IGs.

What’s your economic strategy with Austria? I’m a few decades in and there’s just so many states and pops that I’ve mostly been spamming basic industry to (barely) keep staple goods affordable.

I’m also only a couple of decades in, around mid-1860s, but my strategy is kind of the same. I’ve built insane amounts of logging camps, iron and coal mines, rye farms, etc. I think I still need to build more because I am lacking in national production of clothes and liquor. But besides that I’m currently expanding my internal arms industry so I don’t have to rely on imports during war, and branching out into more advanced techs such as engines. My biggest problem right now are all the radicals that I don’t know how to deal with.