Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Did not experience fan death until my third restart--which is something I really, really need to train myself out of, since I keep forgetting what game I'm playing--and apart from Measurehead becoming my race mentor I thus far consider it the definitive Disco Elysium experience. Failure really is your best friend.

Speaking of my desire to avoid failure at all costs: How the gently caress does a man make enough money by the end of the first day to stop Kim selling his spinners for you? My only binding principles are that capitalism must be destroyed and the lieutenant's well-being is sacred. I just want my buddy to have his stupid gearhead junk and be happy. I can get Garte down to 60 bucks but that's still a tall order off recycling bottles.

Find a rich person willing to make a donation. Joyce will write you a check for the exact amount you owe to Garte for your first day (100 minimum I think, so if you got Garte down to 60 you're ahead) if you successfully ask her for money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Mr Evrart will also help you out with some money

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Alright, I've had bad luck with skill checks on that front but I'll keep spinning the charity wheel. I feel weirdly compelled to hold on to postcards and handkerchiefs and poo poo, so nickel-and-diming it at the pawnshop isn't an appealing option anyways. Thanks!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

King Carnivore posted:

Note that this does give you a -1 during your first conversation with him since you're in his debt unless you just brazenly took the money without even acknowledging it as a bribe, in which case I think you get a bonus that cancels that out

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tarezax posted:

Find a rich person willing to make a donation. Joyce will write you a check for the exact amount you owe to Garte for your first day (100 minimum I think, so if you got Garte down to 60 you're ahead) if you successfully ask her for money
Nope. For exactly however much you need. No option to lie to her, either.

If you want to get ahead and hustle properly, you can get the rims from Kim, then go beg Joyce. Pay off the room and sell the rims the next day.. It's the Estonian entrepreneur way.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Xander77 posted:

If you want to get ahead and hustle properly, you can get the rims from Kim, then go beg Joyce. Pay off the room and sell the rims the next day.. It's the Estonian entrepreneur way.

Kim will remember this.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

King Carnivore posted:

He will also help you find your gun!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Go a step further and sell them while Kim's asleep to get their full value

Don't do this, Kim is a sweetheart

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

sometimes I’ll be having a relatively normal day and then I think of the goon who wrote a 2500+ word primer on how to play disco elysium for his I think sister-in-law that he had to browbeat into trying the game in the first place. I haven’t even read past the first sentence of the aforementioned post but it intrudes upon my consciousness nevertheless

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MizuZero posted:

sometimes I’ll be having a relatively normal day and then I think of the goon who wrote a 2500+ word primer on how to play disco elysium for his I think sister-in-law that he had to browbeat into trying the game in the first place. I haven’t even read past the first sentence of the aforementioned post but it intrudes upon my consciousness nevertheless

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

After a great deal of coaxing I managed to get my sister-in-law, who I really like but who has never played any video game aside from Tetris, to play this game. I gave her some information before she starts as follows
quote:

A few tips that I strongly recommend once you start playing disco elysium:

-when you start, you’re given a choice of how many points you want to put into your basic stats, out of four. The fundamentals of your personality. Since you don’t have a lot of experience I recommend 4/4/2/2. Smart and empathetic, but maybe not the strongest or most dexterous. There are benefits to choosing otherwise, but this is the most straightforward and easiest of the character setups.
-Don’t be afraid to fail a skill check. There is almost always another way around if you fail, and the vast majority of the time you will be able to retry later. sometimes “succeeding” a check gives an objectively worse outcome than failing. And some of the best and most memorable moments of this game only come about by failing, rather than succeeding. Giving a cold girl a hat and demanding a bite of a sandwich are the best examples of this.
-Don’t be afraid to say the nuttiest poo poo possible. The people of martinase are shockingly adept at rolling with your insanity and sometimes you might even be able to get extra information or resources from someone that they wouldn’t otherwise give by saying or doing something crazy enough that it that throws them off balance. The only person who won’t put up with you acting like a complete nut job is in the last hour or so of the game.
-Time *only* progresses as you speak to people or examine objects you’re holding. Don’t be afraid to wander around and take as much time as you like. Even if someone is pointing a gun at your head and threatening to pull the trigger you can talk, examine your environment and think as much as you like. Actual, serious events occur as you make them. This is *especially* important in the game’s most violent climax.
-Kim will defend and support you almost no matter what. He is your keystone. Do not try to anger or disappoint him. Unless your want to because it’ll be funny (it can be very funny).
-“Thoughts” are this game’s version of specialized skills. You receive the initial thought through dialogue or actions, and you assign it to a thought slot. (You can increase your number of slots with each level if you like) and with a certain amount of time it will manifest. Maybe it will give benefits, maybe it will give you unique choices or opportunities you wouldn’t have otherwise, or maybe it will give nothing but flaws. There’s no way of knowing until you assign it to a slot and work until you complete it. I strongly recommend against going online and looking at a guide because the uncertainty and almost randomness are what makes this game so incredible. If you assign a thought and complete it, and then remove it, it’s gone permanently and you cannot get it back on that playthrough.
-you have two sets of stats that will take damage or heal as you work, Health and morale. Health’s maximum increases by boosting your endurance stat, morale by increasing your volition stat. Both are important, and both will kill you if you let them fall to zero. But there are drugs that will let you recharge them, even if you take a hit, physical or emotional, that would have killed you. Money is scarce in the game but if you don’t have something else you definitely want to but it never hurts to stock up on those healing items. Having 2-4 of both on hand will be a life saver. Even in the most difficult parts of the game. Either way, you definitely will not need more than 5/10 in either skill, unless you want to make nothing but bad decisions and suffer the consequences which, again, you can do if you’re so inclined.
-The man you’re playing the game as is hosed Up. And if you choose certain dialogue options your own brain (and the game) will force you to do or say reprehensible things. Do not confuse depiction with endorsement. Just because your character is an emotionally traumatized substance abuser does not mean the people who wrote and developed the game agree with what he does or says. Horrible misogyny, racism, sexism, and outright facism will come about if you choose certain dialogue choices. You can choose to make The Detective a better man than he once was, or hell, lean into it even further if you think it’ll be funny or entertaining. Either way it is possible to complete the game as a sad man who is trying to be better than the person he was before or as a guy who is certain that the apocalypse is coming and is it’s harbinger, or as a big shot big dick charismatic wonder, or as the most meth smoking racist piece of poo poo you can imagine. Your choice.
-Cuno might seem like an obnoxious little poo poo, but he has depths to him, and it is significant that you explore those depths. Noti to solving the murder, but as a character exploration.

A list of things I recommend you do, without spoilers. These will make sense as you reach them:
-Point the gun at Cunoesse, but do not fire. It will tell you drat near everything you need to know about her.
-Kim has a secret that will influence how you view him, but the only way to see or understand that secret is if you talk extensively with a handsome man on a balcony, complete the thought he gives you, and then speak with Kim. Or, find a working pinball machine, but that’s another secret.
-the second half of the entire game area opens up on day three, new areas, new characters, and more information on the case. On day 4 you can travel to a long abandoned computer factory and meet a man enjoying the view with his son. Speak to him exhaustively and you will unlock a thought called the *sigh* “Wompty-Dompty Don centre.” It is easily one of the best thoughts in the game and makes drat near everything easier.
-at one point you will find a pay phone, keep dialing random numbers until IT happens.
-you can get the boots, but not with Kim around.
-very late in the game you will visit an island. Be sure to take a nap there, and then head to the eastern sea. You will see one of the best and most brutal bits of writing I have ever seen in video games.
-if you keep wearing the hideous necktie it will eventually start talking to you. Articles of clothing beginning to speak to you is perfectly normal and has a big payoff in the climax.
-when you get The Photo of The Corpse, you can ask the Scab Leader about his opinion on it. The result is very, very uncomfortable, but also tells you everything you need to know about the Scab Leader.
-moving through The Smoker On The Balcony’s dialogue line will eventually let you meet a representative of the moralintern. Once you finish speaking to that representative you will understand why I dislike liberalism.

Did I do a good job preparing her for The Experience?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What's everyone's take on getting the signatures for Evrart?

I explored around in my first game and decided to get bogus signatures cause there is a nice community there and the youth already got a drug free place to hang out and be active (GYM TEACHER COP) AND BE THE THOUGHT READERS LEADERS OF THE NEXT GENERATION! THE ANODIC GENERATION! YEAH!

e;
Also not lost on me that the anomaly in the church is literally Despair.
[Pretend I know enough about Persona games to post a relevant meme here]

The church was built to contain the anomaly and like Noid's analogy of the church being a carcass that no longer nourishes, in it's place is their club that keeps the anomaly from destroying us all.

Very HARDCORE.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 29, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MizuZero posted:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

the paradox of disco elysium is that there is no wrong way to play except for trying too hard to not play it wrong

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

4/4/2/2 with focus in reaction speed or 4/4/1/3 with focus in shivers is the best start. that is sound

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TACD posted:

the paradox of disco elysium is that there is no wrong way to play except for trying too hard to not play it wrong

well, failing the dance check and calling Kim a racial slur is an immediate reload imo

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

well, failing the dance check and calling Kim a racial slur is an immediate reload imo
This happened to me, and I was *pissed*. I did reload, not sorry to say.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I feel bad when I accidentally save-scum by getting a game over after a check because I forgot to F5. Like, tonight I failed one, wandered off with 1 morale and no magnesium after the store was closed, died from jerking off in public, and hit the check on a reload.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Someone just told me Helen Hindpere was fourteen when she started writing for DE???? And (allegedly) that this is why all the kids sound so plausibly kid-like.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Go a step further and sell them while Kim's asleep to get their full value

Don't do this, Kim is a sweetheart
You get the full value as long as you wait until after day 1. Unless something got patched.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
This should've been part of Disco Elysium IMO

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’s a me, a Harry Raphael Ambrosius Costeau

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

luigi solves the case by doing absolutely nothing

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What's killing me about this is that it totally spoils the surprise for some of the best moments in the game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

General Battuta posted:

Someone just told me Helen Hindpere was fourteen when she started writing for DE???? And (allegedly) that this is why all the kids sound so plausibly kid-like.

Her LinkedIn says she's been working for za/um for five years. I don't see an age listed but she doesn't look 19.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
She's been hanging out with their art collective since she was a teenager, AFAIR. The actual making of the game came later.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kids would be terrible at writing kids. Because kids are terrible writers.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Vegetable posted:

Kids would be terrible at writing kids. Because kids are terrible writers.

Most adults writers are also terrible writers.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Lena's lateral move from cryptozoology into surprise race science kinda threw cryptids into a different light for me. Suppressed my desire to tease Kim about being from a different species, since it's always hard to tell how sarcasm is gonna translate from the available options, but it's an interesting aside. They really did haul off and write just about every character, didn't they?

Regarding the racist lorry driver: Am I just not trying hard enough, or is there really no option to pop this dude in the jaw? It seems a bit perverse that I'd be able to brutalize children and spinkick Racist Bigfoot but not even get the chance to feed this dude his own fash-flavored footwear. I feel like half of the questions I ask in this thread are about when I get to hurt people--looking directly at you, "Scab Leader"--but in my defense, if I can't misappropriate the powers afforded to me as an officer of the law to settle personal grudges, why do I even have them?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Got thoroughly cajoled into playing this game by half my family, and really enjoyed it. I've never been so disappointed in myself in a computer game as when I accidentally said a racist thing to Kim, trying to make him dance :smith:

Other than that, I felt the process of passing skill checks got a bit dull towards the end, because I would just walk up to the NPCs, dress up in whatever clothes optimise skill x, do the check. If it fails, I just level up the skill with the points I've banked due to not really needing them for anything, and try again. If I were to play through knowing what I know now, I'd just play through without trying to ace them all, just letting what happens happen.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Regarding the racist lorry driver: Am I just not trying hard enough, or is there really no option to pop this dude in the jaw? It seems a bit perverse that I'd be able to brutalize children and spinkick Racist Bigfoot but not even get the chance to feed this dude his own fash-flavored footwear. I feel like half of the questions I ask in this thread are about when I get to hurt people--looking directly at you, "Scab Leader"--but in my defense, if I can't misappropriate the powers afforded to me as an officer of the law to settle personal grudges, why do I even have them?

Have you tried talking to him about the drug trafficking with Kim around? You can really make him have a bad time following Kim's lead.

Oh god, when you're waiting with Kim for the motor carriage to melt out of the ice you have the option to ask if his dad is also, "you know *point at eyes*". Harry stop, you're drunk.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

MariusLecter posted:

Have you tried talking to him about the drug trafficking with Kim around? You can really make him have a bad time following Kim's lead.

I remember freaking him out with the Madre stuff and maybe roughing him up a little, but nothing near the level of aggression that you can use with Cuno or Measurehead. My expectations for Frenzied Thug Cop Harry might've been set a bit high by his case files. Harry using a clipboard to cripple some poor guy made me think I was gonna be slamming the brakes and hiding the prybar every time someone held too much eye contact. Instead, I am reduced to watching, woebegone, as chubby racists humiliate me by refusing to share their cigarettes.

I'm certainly not saying it's a bad thing the game doesn't give me free reign to uncork wanton police brutality...but the number of unpunched bastards on Martinaise begs for correction, and it feels like I'm falling well short of the amount of violence I could be misdirecting in lieu of confronting my emotions. Why isn't this cop more goddamn American?

E: Actually, I suppose self-inflicted gunshot injuries and letting fascists slide is fairly in keeping with my domestic notions of peacekeeping. Carry on, Officer Du Bois.

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 31, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

unpunched bastards on Martinaise

I like this turn of phrase

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

MariusLecter posted:

Oh god, when you're waiting with Kim for the motor carriage to melt out of the ice you have the option to ask if his dad is also, "you know *point at eyes*". Harry stop, you're drunk.

I remember being taken aback that that was what the option actually was about. I thought Harry was asking if Kim's dad also had bad eyesight.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Know nothing about the game. Are there any "under no circumstances do this" character creation choices?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Absolutely not. Make the character you want and then enjoy the ride. Don’t listen to any advice that says you must choose certain options in the game. Don’t save scum and enjoy the ride.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Know nothing about the game. Are there any "under no circumstances do this" character creation choices?

Nope, do what you like and ride it to the end

It *might* be helpful to not have any stat at 1 for your first run just to keep your survivability up a bit, but really it's fine as soon as you start finding or buying meds.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Drugs are your friend and Electrochemistry gives great advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Samovar posted:

I remember being taken aback that that was what the option actually was about. I thought Harry was asking if Kim's dad also had bad eyesight.

Same here, but then again I also thought that the 'and all the workers will be like me' comment to Evrart was referring to my virtuous and upstanding rockstar self, not my apparent slide into fascism.