Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Paranoia RPG - The Perfect Edition, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990654819/paranoia-rpg-the-perfect-edition?ref=android_project_share

Looks like a new paranoia edition! Not sure if I'll like it but I just want to send money to the devs for making a product I enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I can barely parse this ad copy

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oops, nearly threw away the So, You’ve Been Eaten expansion as it was still a thin packet in the package box under some bubble wrap.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

CODChimera posted:

Is each episode like a mission? wondering how much I need the $120 pack...

You can buy one of the elder ones separately. You'd just miss out on some of the mission cards and some monster and investigator miniatures and the other elder one. The contents are that well reviewed so probably not worth it.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

The_Doctor posted:

Oops, nearly threw away the So, You’ve Been Eaten expansion as it was still a thin packet in the package box under some bubble wrap.

Any chance for a write up after a few plays? I have enough 2p only games and not enough other 1 persons to play them with, but SYTYBE looked like a cool concept

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mouzer posted:

Any chance for a write up after a few plays? I have enough 2p only games and not enough other 1 persons to play them with, but SYTYBE looked like a cool concept

I played one game when my copy arrived, single player vs the automaton (I played as the miner). It was interesting and seemed like it would be fun 2p, but I haven't had a chance to play it with 2 yet.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I've always heard good things about DMD, but does it hold a lot of appeal for someone not really familiar with the Cthulhu mythos? I mean, I know what Cthulhu is and recognize some of the other names, but I have no idea wtf a Gyaa-Yothn or a "Cat from Saturn" is, just from reading the KS contents. I guess the gameplay is the same whether you understand what the monsters are or not; but from looking at setup videos, and especially how integral the Elder Boss monsters & servants seem in shaping the scenario, it seems like there would be narrative/gameplay flavor missing if you don't understand what these monsters are and how they work. Or am I overthinking this, and most people just wanna fight weirdo monsters and kill Cthulhu?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Desfore posted:

I've always heard good things about DMD, but does it hold a lot of appeal for someone not really familiar with the Cthulhu mythos? I mean, I know what Cthulhu is and recognize some of the other names, but I have no idea wtf a Gyaa-Yothn or a "Cat from Saturn" is, just from reading the KS contents. I guess the gameplay is the same whether you understand what the monsters are or not; but from looking at setup videos, and especially how integral the Elder Boss monsters & servants seem in shaping the scenario, it seems like there would be narrative/gameplay flavor missing if you don't understand what these monsters are and how they work. Or am I overthinking this, and most people just wanna fight weirdo monsters and kill Cthulhu?

There never really was much story to the big bads or any character to the monsters. Those were later additions by people adapting the works. His critters were always some horrible shambling thing just around the corner. Lovecraft would walk right up to describing something and then have his narrator pass out or start gibbering. All the critters you see are people grabbing some throwaway name from the mythos and slapping it on top of some tentacled beastie.

Honestly anyone who was a huge mythos fan would probably hate the game. DMD is a game where you can run through rooms catching fire as you go and end your turn by pistol whipping Cthulhu dead.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kickstarter.jpg :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

Paranoia RPG - The Perfect Edition, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990654819/paranoia-rpg-the-perfect-edition?ref=android_project_share

Looks like a new paranoia edition! Not sure if I'll like it but I just want to send money to the devs for making a product I enjoy.

Jesus Christ, that Kickstarter page is terrible.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:siren: :siren: Post your most disappointing KS campaign development :siren: :siren: (or at least the first one that comes to your mind.)

I'll go first:

SPACE KRAKEN looked interesting and different with some solid mechanics, but as time went on seemed to go into a weird spiral of feature frenzy. I think the creator fell down a 2010's-furry-deviantart-worldbuilding rabbithole and never regained his senses.
Printed copies are still in progress but an early digital release got me to download and look at it, and uh, well poo poo I can't even figure out how to read the HOW TO PLAY which I think is a sign you done hosed up :engleft:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jarvisi posted:

That just read like comedy poison. I backed the last disappointing Paranoia edition, I'm not doing it again. I'll cling to my hardback copy of Paranoia XP.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I confess that I've never been a big fan of Paranoia or gently caress-your-buddy roleplaying in general, but that writing is deeply unfunny even beyond that. Absolute anti-sell.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

HopperUK posted:

That just read like comedy poison. I backed the last disappointing Paranoia edition, I'm not doing it again. I'll cling to my hardback copy of Paranoia XP.

:same: They make a cool rainbow if you shelve them in release order too.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Desfore posted:

The tone is extremely deliberately tongue-in-cheek, satirising the fact that in the actual Cthulhu mythos all the creatures were supposed to be beyond God-level powerful and would drive you insane just by witnessing them, and yet almost all games based on it have you running around shooting with them shotguns. So DmD takes this to the ridiculous extreme by making your characters powerful to the point that they feel like rampaging psychopaths.

Which is to say, you don't need to care about the theme at all. There's basically no narrative in the game (a few short sentences per scenario) so if the idea of crazy murder hobos slaughtering weird tentacle monsters appeals at all then that's all you need. The game shines because of incredible mechanics, not theme.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Commissar Canuck posted:

A former Fantasy Flight Games tabletop dev has just come out with a new dogfighting game on kickstarter that looks pretty cool. Looks like it combines deckbuilding with the maneuvering gameplay of X-Wing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aerodome/aerodome-season-1

I appreciate the mechanical design. I really don't like the graphic design -- too many notes, dear Mozart, too many notes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I really don’t like the plane graphics on the tokens. The front of the planes point in the opposite direction of the front of the token! Just use top-down outlines and put your fancy pictures on cards.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 29, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Space Lane Trader first cancelled their first kickstarter

They then started it up again a year later with a lower amount, and they got double the backers a year later (less than half of their initial amount, but it still passed)

Even though it was "successful" they say they're not going to even break even if they went to production and will refund everyone.

:negative:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Stickman posted:

I really don’t like the plane graphics on the tokens. The front of the planes point in the opposite direction of the front of the token! Just use top-down outlines and put your fancy pictures on cards.

That is incredibly stupid.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The Eyes Have It posted:

:siren: :siren: Post your most disappointing KS campaign development :siren: :siren: (or at least the first one that comes to your mind.)

Without a doubt, City-State of the Invincible Overlord. The holy grail of my youth, in an updated version? Sign me up for everything!

sigh

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Even though it was "successful" they say they're not going to even break even if they went to production and will refund everyone.

:negative:

Was this due to recent price changes / shipping costs? Or did they just set their goal super low to try to game the system because funded projects get more love than unfunded projects?

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/contentiongames/slay-the-spire-the-board-game

Slay the Spire is up, my friend is one of the designers so I've been testing it off and on. It's a lot of fun, but I don't know if I would recommend it for solo play compared to the game. The Co Op is pretty fun though and lends itself well to Slay the Spires deckbuilding gameplay.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Sleeved cards, flip to upgrade, seems like a pretty good idea.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Looks cool but dang that's expensive. Might go in for the 1 tier to get at the pledge manager and see how I feel when it's time to lock in

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DalaranJ posted:

Sleeved cards, flip to upgrade, seems like a pretty good idea.

Except in the video game, you can hover over your cards to see what their upgrades are so that you can make the best decision based on what the upgrade does. What do you do here? Unsleeve your deck until you have the system mastery to know exactly what upgrade you want?

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

GrandpaPants posted:

Except in the video game, you can hover over your cards to see what their upgrades are so that you can make the best decision based on what the upgrade does. What do you do here? Unsleeve your deck until you have the system mastery to know exactly what upgrade you want?

...yes?

Usually the upgrades are just "numbers are bigger" or "the cost is cheaper". I don't think it's any worse than flipping through cards in separate upgrade deck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

High Tension Wire posted:

...yes?

Usually the upgrades are just "numbers are bigger" or "the cost is cheaper". I don't think it's any worse than flipping through cards in separate upgrade deck.

Flipping through a deck is infinitely easier and faster than unsleeving every card to see what's on the back

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Bottom Liner posted:

Flipping through a deck is infinitely easier and faster than unsleeving every card to see what's on the back

I mean yes, if you have every possible card in your deck at once. Usually you have two or three cool new cards that you would want to upgrade to begin with.

I just mean that the general gist of the upgrades is pretty straightforward and propably at least one player has played the digital version before.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

High Tension Wire posted:

I mean yes, if you have every possible card in your deck at once. Usually you have two or three cool new cards that you would want to upgrade to begin with.

I just mean that the general gist of the upgrades is pretty straightforward and propably at least one player has played the digital version before.

yeah if it's anything like the actual computer game choosing what to upgrade is usually very, very obvious

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The extra fiddliness of un/resleeving after every play too, absolutely no thanks.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

:ok:

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

The extra fiddliness of un/resleeving after every play too, absolutely no thanks.

As if that wasn't bad enough, check out the setup for a game.

https://youtu.be/w7ET-DYK65Q

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Bottom Liner posted:

I dunno, resetting maybe 20 cards tops after a game don't seem such a bad tradeoff versus having almost double the cards in the box.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

medchem posted:

As if that wasn't bad enough, check out the setup for a game.

https://youtu.be/w7ET-DYK65Q

this feels pretty standard for a deckbuilder? it's actually an amazingly accurate translation of the video game into tabletop format from what I can see there, that's really neat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That’s also exactly why the entire experience is going to be a massive slog. Not just setup. The video game handles a ton of stuff that you now have to do every card play, all for the ability to play a tacked on coop version of the (not full version) video game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arivia posted:

yeah if it's anything like the actual computer game choosing what to upgrade is usually very, very obvious

It's obvious because you've played however many runs of the computer game. If you're new to the game and aren't familiar with the upgrades, especially if the upgrades do something that aren't just "number goes up," then you're unsleeving/resleeving every card to check. Unless the cards have some element that show them what the upgrades do on the front/base version of the card, then I'll take back the criticism, but it just seems like for the benefit of co-op, you're paying extra for a more fiddly and time consuming version of a game where you can get through a run in like 15 minutes.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't think it's fair to compare the board game to the video game. You need to compare the board game to other board games. Resleeving the cards after each game doesn't seem any worse than sorting the decks after a game of Dominion, for example.

I do agree, however, that there should be some icons on the front of the card that summarize the upgrade on the back of the card. Some small font in the lower corner, for example.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Sorting cards after a game of dominion is WAY easier than sleeving and unsleeving stuff

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Infinitum posted:

Not to reopen a :can:, but Wyrmwood are likely gonna pull the plug on the Desk KS and doing what I said they should do - relaunch MGT 2.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wR--OWwHis

It's just a weird product all around, especially as you as An Gamer can get sit-stand desks like the following for a lot cheaper and they're more blinged towards what their clients likely want anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpnfTg7EhDA

Wyrmwood's desk is a boutique thing, and should have always been so. They need to stick to high-end gaming products.

That being said - secretlabs desks (at least the non-moving ones) suffer from a high chance that the steel delaminates/warps from the rest of the table surface, and you'll get bubbles.

I say that because after having suffered through the hell that is FedEx's lazy/destructive shipping practices, I finally got a replacement...only for it to be one of the unlucky ones with a warped desk.

In practice, it's okay - it works great as a desk, but if you're really really detail oriented and want your desk *exactly the way it is*, you might notice it especially when putting stuff down and watching it roll for a strange reason. I don't think there's a way to really even fix this without either welding through it, or getting a replacement.

Hopefully they fixed their process because getting an early one was not really as nice as it should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

GrandpaPants posted:

It's obvious because you've played however many runs of the computer game. If you're new to the game and aren't familiar with the upgrades, especially if the upgrades do something that aren't just "number goes up," then you're unsleeving/resleeving every card to check. Unless the cards have some element that show them what the upgrades do on the front/base version of the card, then I'll take back the criticism, but it just seems like for the benefit of co-op, you're paying extra for a more fiddly and time consuming version of a game where you can get through a run in like 15 minutes.

If you've never played the original game, what is the chance you're spending over 100 bucks to it? And Slay The Spire is one of the best selling games in Steam, not some unknown new thing.

Not saying there aren't flaws to the system, just pointing out that the worst case scenario you are descriping is propably not the most common experience.