Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I much prefer "regular places overrun by evil" as a theme in horror games over "go to the weird dimension and see all the weird poo poo". It's hard for anything to seem scary or unsettling when there's no baseline for familiarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Volte posted:

I much prefer "regular places overrun by evil" as a theme in horror games over "go to the weird dimension and see all the weird poo poo". It's hard for anything to seem scary or unsettling when there's no baseline for familiarity.

yeah that's why i love the first 4 silent hill games so much

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

got Blood Fresh Supply on deck last night, gently caress me it's difficult

Play on "made to order" difficulty, reduce cultist aggression to low, optionally also reduce cultist accuracy to low, increase enemy count to maximum. Season with dynamite :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

edit: also don't forget to download the "Death Wish" expansion.

Convex fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 28, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Blood is really twitchy and fast, I don't think it translates good to dual analogs.

I disagree, have been playing it on my laptop with an 8bitdo gamepad and I think it works really well.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Convex posted:

I disagree, have been playing it on my laptop with an 8bitdo gamepad and I think it works really well.

tell me you can’t throw tnt properly without telling me you can’t throw tnt properly

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think Cultic biggest failing is the level design, which beyond a pair of exceptions, it can be pretty meh. Ruins, excavation site, swamp, forest, mines, etc. They aren't original in the concept, nor good enough in the execution (interesting map layout).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

spider wisdom posted:

tell me you can’t throw tnt properly without telling me you can’t throw tnt properly

wot

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Turin Turambar posted:

I think Cultic biggest failing is the level design, which beyond a pair of exceptions, it can be pretty meh. Ruins, excavation site, swamp, forest, mines, etc. They aren't original in the concept, nor good enough in the execution (interesting map layout).

What? I kind of love the level design, there's so many ways to approach situations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm torn on this, because none of it really wowed me, for the reasons you've laid out, but always flowed so well and it constantly throws up good setpiece encounters. And even at its most obnoxious (catacomb tunnels imo), it never hit a very low low.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's probably safe to say that, for a lot of people, Cultic's Chapter One levels flowed well and were competently built, but were conceptually underwhelming. And I would agree with that, because while they were fun to play, I'm not remembering most of the areas in the same way I still recall parts of DUSK or Blood.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

The Kins posted:

I mean, Inquisitor is a console port of a game by an 50-60 person indie team in Budapest, while God of War is a first-party title with hundreds of developers and a budget that dwarfs some countries' GDPs. Slightly different weight divisions here.

That's valid in a lot of cases, but it only goes so far when like I said the previous gen version of a 5 year old game runs better than the "upgrade" version that was advertised as 60fps looks the same but runs at a lower framerate and has screen tearing that wasn't in the original. I realize not every dev gets a great budget and support from the manufacturer, but there's some kind of common thread with all of the bizarre performance issues this generation.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 28, 2022

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I can see that as a criticism- Cultic's actual structures are interesting and engaging shapes to have a fight in but the settings they are built into and of are a bit... cliche? It works for me because the specific cliches it's engaging with are ones I'm very into but I can understand that not working so well for other people.

And speaking of Blood, I noticed I didn't have the Steam achievement for episode 4, so I decided to jump on in and get that real quick and oh my but Blood is an unfriendly game to be out of practice at.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Asylum Grounds had amazing level design.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Asylum Grounds had amazing level design.

gently caress i'm literally just starting that one now

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Convex posted:

Play on "made to order" difficulty, reduce cultist aggression to low, optionally also reduce cultist accuracy to low, increase enemy count to maximum. Season with dynamite :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

edit: also don't forget to download the "Death Wish" expansion.

I thought Death Wish didn’t work on Fresh Supply?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mill Village posted:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mill Village posted:

It works fine and has since like a week after release.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

listen if you’re not going to flick the mouse up at just the the right time to lob a boom into a cultist cluster, you’re missing one of life’s most intimate gamefeel joys

(just bustin’ gonads. playing blood at all is all that matters!)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tiny Timbs posted:

It works fine and has since like a week after release.

It took a little bit longer than that I think since Firebelly had a game-breaking bug (wouldn't teleport after going in the water) that got fixed a bit after they got the rest of it up and running, but yeah, last I checked it runs flawlessly now. I think the only one I really had any trouble with was Bloody Pulp Fiction, I don't remember if I ever got that one working with FS.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ran this in firefox. Everything worked fine, including a vanilla map I made. THe only thing I couldn't get past was the mouseless controls.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Okay that's pretty neat

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Okay that's pretty neat
You think that’s cool? And it is Check this out.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

in retrospect, that's a really bizarre choice for a demo level. first enemy you run into has the concussion rifle, that's a lot

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

A.o.D. posted:

Ran this in firefox. Everything worked fine, including a vanilla map I made. THe only thing I couldn't get past was the mouseless controls.

Try full screen

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Decided to give Cultic another try on Casual this time and an overall much smoother experience, also the accuracy upgrade for the pistol is definitely the right choice for your first upgrade

I think the hitbox for player thrown hatchets needs some tinkering with though, it's oddly hard to hit anything with them, so what should be a good way to conserve ammo ends up being something that barely gets used

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Negostrike posted:

Try full screen

Works fine.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

dracula vladdy AF posted:

in retrospect, that's a really bizarre choice for a demo level. first enemy you run into has the concussion rifle, that's a lot

Right? Like I was able to find the rocket launcher secret almost immediately, but it did basically fuckall against a Trandoshan with a hitscan(?) explosive rifle.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Right? Like I was able to find the rocket launcher secret almost immediately, but it did basically fuckall against a Trandoshan with a hitscan(?) explosive rifle.

I'm surprised that they didn't go with the fifth level, Baron's Hed, but maybe the didn't want to show too much of their hand. it's a fantastic level and somewhat less inscrutable than some of the other ones.

speaking of that rifle, as much as I love JK (and I love it a lot, it was a formative game in my much younger years), the concussion rifle really screws up the whole balance of the weapons. it's like the Quake 1 rocket launcher if ammo was always plentiful, it had a second fire mode with no splash damage while also being hitscan with infinite range, on top of the whole primary fire being an extremely fast projectile with huge splash damage. there's basically no real reason to use anything else after you get it, since outside of the boss fights it trivializes nearly every encounter and totally steps of the toes of the game's actual rocket launcher.

back in the day the MP had similar problems, generally whoever was able to get the concussion rifle first was at a massive advantage; it got to the point that lots of custom MP levels either had it extremely well-hidden, or used custom scripting that caused everyone to spawn in with one and unlimited ammo just to even the playing field.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Casimir Radon posted:

QuakeJS is pretty neat too, written well before WASM was a thing.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

despite being a huge fan of blood ive never played death wish, im downloading it now and im pumped to see it. i keep hearing great things and i didnt realise it worked on fresh supply, i did most of my Blood playing on the gog.com release that used dosbox and a mouselook patch and i didnt think i could go back to that for fresh supply cause looking up and down in it made me feel weird. I got used to it eventually, but its like sea legs and you lose it after time on land.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

dracula vladdy AF posted:

That plus all the environmental hazards later on. You obviously want to pick a level that’s after the farmstead so Kyle has the lightsaber and a couple force powers, so you can show off the stuff that people really want. But the first Baron’s Hed level might have been a better choice.

Lemon King posted:

QuakeJS is pretty neat too, written well before WASM was a thing.
You can play the Doom 3 demo in WASM too but it’s really sluggish. Also it downloads the 300ish MBs of the demo from who knows what forgotten repository and it takes a long time too.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_wDPQqOnV8
New Wolf3D map I made as a part of a map jam with several other mappers from the Wolfsource discord, coming Soon™.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

drrockso20 posted:

I think the hitbox for player thrown hatchets needs some tinkering with though, it's oddly hard to hit anything with them, so what should be a good way to conserve ammo ends up being something that barely gets used

God yes. I kept throwing axes at some idiot and could not land a one

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean considering how lousy the cultists are at hitting you with axes despite how good they are at aiming every other weapon AND considering how little damage it usually does when they hit you it seems like the axes aren't worth throwing. I kinda think they probably should have had you get that first axe at the beginning and had that be all, rather than clumsy throwing mechanics and cultists dropping axes on death.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the axes don't even do much damage when they hit. extremely not worth

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wonder if a quick kick would make them hit harder, or if a toilet seat is actually the more dangerous close range weapon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I never threw an axe.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i dont know what i was expecting from death wish but it wasnt (level 2 spoilers) the ghost of tchernobog trying to run me over with a greyhound bus

so far its really nuts. i was expecting a really good level set but its a lot more cinematic and crazy than i expected. there are both cutscenes and incredible visuals in the levels themselves. im not very far in but what ive seen has been top notch

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Halloween Episode of Ross’s Game Dungeon is out and it’s about Killing Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV60gwgq1yc

I tried to play the GOG version a while ago and got frustrated early on when you have to go trekking out into a not very well designed woods. Maybe after seeing more of it I’ll want to actually finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Casimir Radon posted:

The Halloween Episode of Ross’s Game Dungeon is out and it’s about Killing Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV60gwgq1yc

I tried to play the GOG version a while ago and got frustrated early on when you have to go trekking out into a not very well designed woods. Maybe after seeing more of it I’ll want to actually finish.

Cool ideas but that looks extremely unpleasant to play.