Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm content to burn the earth and enjoy my limited time on it. It's on fire so i might as well get the meat gelatin based marshmallows out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
any-peacocks-come-near-me-i-swear-i'll-do-time tax

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
https://twitter.com/LenniCoffey/status/1586045446908039170

Someone should do something about that imo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hmmm but we could just... not

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
The Science Understander Has Logged On

https://twitter.com/infinityjaguar/status/1586127690838331392

Anyway, what about my shareholder value, hmmmmmm?

I notice Dishy isn't going to COP.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Re: vegan cheese - it's also full of carbs compared to actual cheese which is full of protein.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Some vegan cheeses are ok, depending on what cheese niche you're trying to replace. Applewood do a block that's a decent mild/sweet cheese like a Jarlsberg sort of thing. Mozzarella for pizzas is adequate if you get the right one. And there's someone doing little camemberts which bake up beautifully, can't remember what they're called but Sainsbury's has them and probably other shops too.

Still to find a good mature cheddar replacement, among other notable absences, but it's getting better. However:

Angrymog posted:

Re: vegan cheese - it's also full of carbs compared to actual cheese which is full of protein.

Yep, this is a trap for the unwary.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://lafauxmagerie.com

It's pricey as gently caress but shows it can be done - the Brixton blue is incredible

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Well, it's the season, so am trundling off out to get double-penetrated like your mum with covid and flu vaxxes.

Cultivating a fine collection of Bill Gates' 5G nanobots.

Going to my GP this time round cos last year Boots got really shirty when I pointed out that nope, no money would be changing hands, I was having the flu one for free like I had your mum

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hope you had a nice time with my mum she's a good woman she deserves it :)

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Most vegan cheeses I've had have been awful but I had this vegan feta once which was actually incredible and I couldn't get enough of it. It was in a garlic oil though which probably helped.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I quite like that vegan feta they do in sainos, tastes pretty close to the real thing imo.I just can't get over the stickiness of coconut oil-based cheddar and mozzarella though.

I guess vegan cheesesmiths haven't had the advantage of thousands of years of tradition. Maybe we'll get good replacements in time.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Only Kindness posted:

Well, it's the season, so am trundling off out to get double-penetrated like your mum with covid and flu vaxxes.

Going to my GP this time round cos last year Boots got really shirty when I pointed out that nope, no money would be changing hands, I was having the flu one for free like I had your mum

Had my 4th covid a couple of weeks ago, was offered flu at the same time but declined because I had a really important meeting on the Monday (jabs on the Sunday) and I react badly to flu jabs and didn't want both my arms in pain when I had to use the laptop all day! The GP told me that I could get a freebie flu at one of the town pharmacies as I'm Ancient of Days. (Wales).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Individual actions don't do much. But neither does voting and you all do that....well you did.

This argument didn't even kick off with anyone saying you should all become vegan. It was started because someone got agitated that on the topic of "individual actions" veganism is often the top suggested one.

I'm personally not even vegan, but I have taken steps to reduce my various harmful outputs. I've sold my car, I've hugely reduced my beef intake, switched to mostly oat milk and changed my electricity supplier to be 100% renewable.
I've done these things because I'm privileged enough that I can and I believe that if enough people do them we might just buy enough time to avoid the worst of what's to come.

It's easy to just shrug and say "we are hosed so why bother" but even a difference between 2.4c and 2.5c could be hundreds of thousands of lives.

I also badger my MP about the issue regularly. Because fracking showed even the Tories can have their minds changed on some of it.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 29, 2022

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Eating veggie is a lot easier than 20 years ago, both for eating out :biglips: and selection and quality of meat replacement/stand-in products

Normally do 2 or 3 days a week without really trying

The only viable solutions to climate change are well known and in direct opposition to the continued existence of capitalism.

This ride is gonna go to some fuckin' interesting places!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Been a veggie since roughly 1995.
And yeah, 20 years ago it was 'just remove the meat yeah I have the spuds and vegetables only'.
Nowadays there's tons of options.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Apparently, I'm so exhausted that as I was getting ready to go on holiday today, I contacted the hotel to ask if they could arrange a hotel pick up and their response was "Um, aren't you checking in tomorrow?"

Turns out that yes, I am indeed going on holiday tomorrow, not today.

Just as well I'm going on holiday, I suppose.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Mega Comrade posted:

Individual actions don't do much. But neither does voting and you all do that....well you did.

There’s a difference between individual actions that aim to change individual circumstances and individual actions that are done collectively to address a systemic issue. The impact is nonlinear when it comes to the latter.

The problem isn’t individual actions, it’s that a systemic problem requires a systemic solution.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Only Kindness posted:

Got double whammied on Wednesday, by Thursday i felt like i had a bad flu... felt great on Friday aside from tender jab sites.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Just Another Lurker posted:

Got double whammied on Wednesday, by Thursday i felt like i had a bad flu... felt great on Friday aside from tender jab sites.

This doesn't fit in the scansion of the song at all, Craig David would be turning in his grave :mad:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

mrpwase posted:

This doesn't fit in the scansion of the song at all, Craig David would be turning in his grave :mad:

Sorry, never even thought of the song, just chance. :rolldice:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Back. Have to say, I have a lot of fuzzy warm feelings about the Gates Foundation for some reason. Also my wifi reception's improved.

NO CARRIER

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

happyhippy posted:

Been a veggie since roughly 1995.
And yeah, 20 years ago it was 'just remove the meat yeah I have the spuds and vegetables only'.
Nowadays there's tons of options.

Quorn, we had quorn and tins of "quorn pretending to be other things like mince"

There is a problem with this chart and every chart like it, in that global shipping emissions are not counted on any statistics, they should really be in a slice on their own but no one knows how much is being pumped out. The rules don't say if they are accountable to country of origin, arrival, or where the ship is registered, so no one is writing anything down. This gives absolutely no incentive for the ships to be even remotely efficient or clean. Couple this with WTO rules and you have hidden ecological nightmare.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Only Kindness posted:

Back. Have to say, I have a lot of fuzzy warm feelings about the Gates Foundation for some reason. Also my wifi reception's improved.

NO CARRIER

You have been assimilated by the Gates. Resistance is Futile.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's hard to worry about hidden ecological nightmares when no one with any power gives two shits about the extremely visible obvious ones

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tarnop posted:

It's hard to worry about hidden ecological nightmares when no one with any power gives two shits about the extremely visible obvious ones

IMO this is one of those things where if the stats were visible then people would latch on to it as an easy political victory, like when they fit filters on factory chimneys in Europe. Any upgrades to engines right out of the 1950s is going to see numbers radically go down right away.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Quorn, we had quorn and tins of "quorn pretending to be other things like mince"

There is a problem with this chart and every chart like it, in that global shipping emissions are not counted on any statistics, they should really be in a slice on their own but no one knows how much is being pumped out. The rules don't say if they are accountable to country of origin, arrival, or where the ship is registered, so no one is writing anything down. This gives absolutely no incentive for the ships to be even remotely efficient or clean. Couple this with WTO rules and you have hidden ecological nightmare.

https://www.freightened.com

tl;dr: it's utterly terrifying.

quote:

It is calculated that the 20 largest vessels pump more sulphur into the atmosphere than all the billions of cars on the planet.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

The obvious response here is that did no good either, of course.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

The main problem with veganism is that nobody has been able to figure out a decent cheese replacement yet. I've tried a lot of vegan "cheeses" and they are all complete crap. Meat is easy to replace, but that good curdled cow squeezing, there's just no substitute.

Blue cheese in particular, I've had some good ones, because the main taste in blue cheese is mould and they can use the exact same mould as in e.g. Roquefort since it's vegan.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tarnop posted:

a Man sat alone, drenched deep in sadness. And all the animals drew near to him and said, "We do not like to see you so sad. Ask us for whatever you wish and you shall have it." The Man said, "I want to have good sight." The vulture replied, "You shall have mine." The Man said, "I want to be strong." The jaguar said, "You shall be strong like me." Then the Man said, "I long to know the secrets of the earth." The serpent replied, "I will show them to you." And so it went with all the animals. And when the Man had all the gifts that they could give, he left.

Then the owl said to the other animals, "Now the Man knows much, he'll be able to do many things. Suddenly I am afraid." The deer said, "The Man has all that he needs. Now his sadness will stop." But the owl replied, "No. I saw a hole in the Man, deep like a hunger he will never fill. It is what makes him sad and what makes him want. He will go on taking and taking, until one day the World will say, 'I am no more and I have nothing left to give.'

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MickCoffey2/status/1586281440915980289

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Jeherrin posted:

https://www.freightened.com

tl;dr: it's utterly terrifying.

Yeah, if we had nuclear powered container ships, the emission change would be immense, but obvs you then have the potential for radiation leaks etc.

I guess some alternatives are Age of Sail 2.0, Super-duper global electric rail with a bridge over the Bering strait, or just NOT doing global shipping for the vast majority of consumer items. The latter would be tricky considering the raw materials required for things like electronics aren't exactly evenly distributed.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Cargo ships are actually a net climate positive? I don't know why you're acting like their emissions mysterious dissappear like no climate scientist over the last 30 years has ever thought about estimating shipping emissions.

So, cargo shipping uses bunker fuel - low grade, low quality oil with massive amounts of sulphur it in. This is because it's cheap and a cargo ship is big enough to easily fit the massive engine required to process it. This is why ships make more sulphur than cars - car fuel doesn't have any sulphur in it, ship fuel does. All the sulphur released during the burning over the ocean create white clouds that reflect sunlight over a normally cloudless ocean, which cools the planet down the same way ice does. The climate impact of this actually outweighs the carbon from the fuel - it's the origin of some geoengineering ideas with SO2.

Problem is SO2 is also a air pollutant hazardous to human health, so while releasing it in the open ocean is fine, when ships sail into port they trash the whole surrounding areas air quality. Hence a slow shift in cargo shipping to use LNG as a fuel, rather than bunker oil, even thought it might be worse for the global climate.

All this besides, the lorry taking the container 50 miles inland from the cargo port is producing more CO2/kg than the cargo ship does shipping it all from China. Water shipping is a very efficient method of transport and we should use it more, not less. Local does not mean green.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 29, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Burning bunker fuel with no filters leaks more radiation than almost any failure mode of a nuclear vessel.

Plus sea is big so reactor water rapidly dilutes to "being somewhere near an ocean vent or several walnuts" levels, whereas oil and exhaust emissions don't.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That is the other issue - you got ships transporting vast quantities of oil and toxic waste that look like they belong in a wrecking yard, and they belong to, or are used by, companies raking in billions. Without oversight, we are going to see more and more marine ecological disasters as these things finally rust though and fall apart.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Cargo ships are actually a net climate positive? I don't know why you're acting like their emissions mysterious dissappear like no climate scientist over the last 30 years has ever thought about estimating shipping emissions.

So, cargo shipping uses bunker fuel - low grade, low quality oil with massive amounts of sulphur it in. This is because it's cheap and a cargo ship is big enough to easily fit the massive engine required to process it. This is why ships make more sulphur than cars - car fuel doesn't have any sulphur in it, ship fuel does. All the sulphur released during the burning over the ocean create white clouds that reflect sunlight over a normally cloudless ocean, which cools the planet down the same way ice does. The climate impact of this actually outweighs the carbon from the fuel - it's the origin of some geoengineering ideas with SO2.

Problem is SO2 is also a air pollutant hazardous to human health, so while releasing it in the open ocean is fine, when ships sail into port they trash the whole surrounding areas air quality. Hence a slow shift in cargo shipping to use LNG as a fuel, rather than bunker oil, even thought it might be worse for the global climate.

All this besides, the lorry taking the container 50 miles inland from the cargo port is producing more CO2/kg than the cargo ship does shipping it all from China. Water shipping is a very efficient method of transport and we should use it more, not less. Local does not mean green.
I am not sure we can really say if it's as simple as that, given that there are real concerns with the geoengineering idea of pumping out SO2. Yeah, you reduce the overall temperature, but reducing incoming sunlight will disturb the circulation of the atmosphere too, as well as reduce production from any form of solar power as well as crops.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I am not sure we can really say if it's as simple as that, given that there are real concerns with the geoengineering idea of pumping out SO2. Yeah, you reduce the overall temperature, but reducing incoming sunlight will disturb the circulation of the atmosphere too, as well as reduce production from any form of solar power as well as crops.

Snowpiercer baby toot toot!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Corbyn nearly destroyed Anglo-Jewry, but when Kanye walked around with a copy of Mein Kampf declaring that Hitler knew how to use power and he knew what the Jews were up to for several years he's just misunderstood and deserves rehabilitation.

Clown publication.

Where does eating children fall on the carbon scale?

(The JC knows where it falls on the corbyn scale)

The Jewish Chronicle is fascist first, Jewish incidentally.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1586000837305942017?t=crc6WX9gkZVH77beqKaBNQ&s=19

Cool cool just meeting with mr "but have you considered not giving free vaccines to the global south"

wururwuhgfhh thunk yuh fuh invhunting thuh computhuh mustuh doors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

this

it's like work is the commercial break and climate change is the actual event, and there's a loving huge dissonance trying to do one while coping with the other

full jokerfication awaits :crackping: