Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Also make sure you are using the outside of the big wheel for both input and output. If you connect the sails to the center of the big gear and use the outside for output you will trade torque for speed. The helve hammer takes a lot of torque to run and if you run out the whole thing stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sokani posted:

Also make sure you are using the outside of the big wheel for both input and output. If you connect the sails to the center of the big gear and use the outside for output you will trade torque for speed. The helve hammer takes a lot of torque to run and if you run out the whole thing stops.

This might also be a problem since I actually did connect the windmill to the center of the large gear. I'll try to fiddle with it.

Now I'm also having trouble using the boiler, mainly on placing the campfire under it. No matter what I try, it won't go under the boiler, always on the adjacent block. Is there a trick to it or am I missing something?

e: Managed to figure it out, you just add the fuel like the game actually tells you, not making an actual campfire. Whoops!

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 20, 2022

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You mean the still? Just put logs in it, don't try and build a camp fire.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any "lore-friendly" way to store the alcohol you brew up? There's no bottles or small containers or something like that? Do I just leave my brandy lying around in a bucket? (hoping it will last a bit longer than the juice/wine in a barrel, at least)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There are clay jugs, at least. Unfortunately for alcohol that spoils (fruit wines and that) the jug stops showing the expiration date, which I assume is a bug.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there something wrong with my windmill setup or is it simply a matter of low wind speeds that it doesn't seem to get anything done? If both the quern and the hammer are equipped, barely anything happens. Even the hammer itself is pretty slow.

The wind speeds are pretty low, 13%, 17% - 25% right now but I just wanted to ask and make sure if the system itself looks fine.

I still need to figure out a way to automate the quern input/output too.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

TeaJay posted:

Is there something wrong with my windmill setup or is it simply a matter of low wind speeds that it doesn't seem to get anything done? If both the quern and the hammer are equipped, barely anything happens. Even the hammer itself is pretty slow.

The wind speeds are pretty low, 13%, 17% - 25% right now but I just wanted to ask and make sure if the system itself looks fine.

I still need to figure out a way to automate the quern input/output too.

I'm not sure how tall your windmill is, but I ran into a similar problem until I used two large gears, one at the top of my tower right next to my windmill, and another directly below it at the bottom where all my machinery sits. The two large gears are connected by a single shaft through their center. Each machine is clutched individually to the 2nd large gear.

The only angled gear connects my windmill to the first large gear. Once I removed all the other angled gears things really improved.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 21, 2022

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Your setup looks fine to me. I wouldn't expect that to run without windspeed 30-40% though.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'd at least get that to ~20 blocks higher than what you have it, but otherwise yeah, that setup looks fine to start with as long as you pop an axle off the thing you want to work (if you're dealing with lack of power issues).

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I finally got the work speed I wanted (though lacking in torque a little) by connecting my upper large gear (fed by 3 windmills) by its edge to the center of my lower gear. My quern and pulverizer run stupidly fast even at low wind speeds, and while the helve hammer won't run at all below 20% wind speed, anything above that and it goes gangbusters.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone had any issues lately with wild drifter spawns? We've been putting basically everything that concerns drifter spawning off but in the last few days people are reporting drifters just spawning everywhere in their base, and I myself had that happen just now. Normally I might have a drifter every now and then, but now they are constantly spawning. They just keep coming, I can't do anything in my base because of it.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 22, 2022

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

HelloSailorSign posted:

I eventually go for finding all lore items: journals, books, and tapestries.

This is really good. Involves a lot of exploration to find tons of bony soil.

TeaJay posted:

Anyone had any issues lately with wild drifter spawns? We've been putting basically everything that concerns drifter spawning off but in the last few days people are reporting drifters just spawning everywhere in their base, and I myself had that happen just now. Normally I might have a drifter every now and then, but now they are constantly spawning. They just keep coming, I can't do anything in my base because of it.

I have seen more drifters than normal, but only at night and outside.

Travic fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 24, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How do you guys feel about the Blackguard and the Forlorn hope sets? I'm at a point where I'm looking to upgrade from my copper lamellae and started to work on some iron chains and plates but I don't know which armor to go for, yet. I was thinking making the gambeson as an all-around set and something heavier like the chain/scale mail, but I did pick up the Blackguard chestpiece, so could also get that fixed for a bit cheaper.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Supposedly, blackguard is decent while forlorn hope takes a lot more resources than it's worth and you should just make steel chain mail instead.

I'm working on refurbishing both for RP and display purposes.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was building my tower and suddenly noticed something going on at the lamb den... sure enough, a bear got in somehow (never seen bears around my base before) and wreaked havoc before I could stop it.

Makes you feel really disheartened, since I had to go through so much trouble to first lure them in, then domesticate them and feed them... and still they were "just" generation 4. One lamb survived, so technically I could still salvage the situation if it's an ewe, but with my luck, it'll probably turn out to be a ram.

DiscretionOverValor
Nov 25, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I was building my tower and suddenly noticed something going on at the lamb den... sure enough, a bear got in somehow (never seen bears around my base before) and wreaked havoc before I could stop it.

Makes you feel really disheartened, since I had to go through so much trouble to first lure them in, then domesticate them and feed them... and still they were "just" generation 4. One lamb survived, so technically I could still salvage the situation if it's an ewe, but with my luck, it'll probably turn out to be a ram.

Apparently you need a 3 block high fence to keep out bears now.

Generation 4 sheep are a huge loss, I would be tempted to use the "/debug setgen x" command on some newly captured sheep to recover.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DiscretionOverValor posted:

Generation 4 sheep are a huge loss, I would be tempted to use the "/debug setgen x" command on some newly captured sheep to recover.

I doubt that kinda thing works in multiplayer?

Or maybe server admin can do it?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 29, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Single player in Vintage Story basically runs like multiplayer but you’re the only one - and the admin - on the server. So if you can do it in single player, if someone has admin privileges then they can do whatever as well.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

That's crazy. Is that true? How would you even build an appropriate gate?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Use a door. You can frame the door in blocks to make it look nice. I tend to go for high fences and a door with a hay roof or something to keep the snow out. (Animals can sometimes jump a gate when snow piles up near it.)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Use a door. You can frame the door in blocks to make it look nice. I tend to go for high fences and a door with a hay roof or something to keep the snow out. (Animals can sometimes jump a gate when snow piles up near it.)

Rad.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How do the translocators work exactly? I've been finding and fixing a few, but they all teleport me way out north from starting latitudes. I'd really like to go south for change to pick up new fruits and stuff, but I'd basically have to run from 0 to 20 000 every time. Are the locators random and I just have bad luck going north all the time?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

TeaJay posted:

How do the translocators work exactly? I've been finding and fixing a few, but they all teleport me way out north from starting latitudes. I'd really like to go south for change to pick up new fruits and stuff, but I'd basically have to run from 0 to 20 000 every time. Are the locators random and I just have bad luck going north all the time?

They supposedly are random, yes.

I lucked out with one going ~10k north, one going ~10k south in my current game.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm trying to find halite at the moment, but I'm not having much luck. I have several areas down south that show up in the pro-pick as "Very poor Halite: 12%(or that 1/1000 symbol)" Does that mean there is a salt dome there? I dug down, but the node search gives me nothing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I don't believe Halite shows up on node search. Try to poke around the sedimentary layer and hope, basically. Once you're under the sedimentary, try again in another spot.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Arrath posted:

I don't believe Halite shows up on node search. Try to poke around the sedimentary layer and hope, basically. Once you're under the sedimentary, try again in another spot.

Ah. That would do it. I'll dig around. Thank you.

I wonder why they designed it so that some minerals show up in one mode but not the other.

DiscretionOverValor
Nov 25, 2007

Arrath posted:

Halite doesn't show up in node search, but Sylvite does, and Sylvite only spawns in Halite.

I found Halite by using node search with a large radius* (150) ignoring everything else and looking for just Sylvite.

* remember that you are searching a cube not a sphere

Once you find it at 150, reduce the radius to 50 and search again at the same location, and that location +/- 100 x, +/- 100 z.

This is also how I found marble, by doing a long range node search for Lapis Lazuli, since it only spawns in marble.

Also despite what the message says, you don't need to restart the game if you change the node search radius (in single player at least)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

drat how badly does the game churn or hitch on a node search of that volume

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a mod that shows what each trader wants to buy at any given moment? Or is it just a matter of googling a set list and taking every possible item to them?

DiscretionOverValor
Nov 25, 2007

Arrath posted:

drat how badly does the game churn or hitch on a node search of that volume

At a radius of 300 I still got the results in < 5 seconds. At 150, it takes 1-2 seconds. Less time than it takes to break 3 rocks to do a density search.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Travic posted:

Ah. That would do it. I'll dig around. Thank you.

I wonder why they designed it so that some minerals show up in one mode but not the other.

Halite basically acts like a stone type as it drops halite stones. The node search detects things that are within a stone - copper in granite, gold in quartz, sylvite in halite.

TeaJay posted:

Is there a mod that shows what each trader wants to buy at any given moment? Or is it just a matter of googling a set list and taking every possible item to them?

No way to know what they got without going, unfortunately.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

At a radius of 300 I still got the results in < 5 seconds. At 150, it takes 1-2 seconds. Less time than it takes to break 3 rocks to do a density search.

I expected worse!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

HelloSailorSign posted:

Halite basically acts like a stone type as it drops halite stones. The node search detects things that are within a stone - copper in granite, gold in quartz, sylvite in halite.

Gotcha. Found an even better area for halite but haven't had luck actually finding the dome. I guess I'm just going to have to put a podcast on and start branch mining at the top of the igneous layer.

Did I hear somewhere that bauxite is excluded from spawning halite or am I imagining that? My halite readings are all in bauxite.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there some way to copy multiplayer world save files and continue from the same world on single player?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Anyone try out the new 1.18 prerelease? There’s some major changes to terrain gen that seem pretty promising, but I haven’t had time to explore much.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'm waiting until it's out of rc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm waiting until it's out of rc.

:same:

Some really awesome looking stuff though. Beams alone are a decorative game changer.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I saw that prerelease and me and a friend are definitely waiting on the full release but there’s so much awesome stuff in that patch.

This is certainly being greedy but do they ever announce more features after the initial prerelease? Just curious.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I started playing the new release and do like the changes, the map generation is improved for sure. I started a new map to get everything fresh (actually a few new maps) and I like that it's not so abrupt anymore - I mean the old maps had "this area is flat" and then "this area has a ton of really high peaks and low valleys" and then "tall plateaus". I felt like traveling around the world was often a pain because you'd need to scale cliffs constantly or just avoid whole areas if you didn't want to do that. With the new maps I feel like the changes are more gradual so it's easier to traverse in general, and while there are still areas with cliffs they feel a bit more realistic and I was generally able to get to where I needed without massive detours.

Anyway here's my current map and what I've explored, I forget the exact settings but I think I picked large lakes in the map-gen, I didn't go for "islands" or "continents" or whatever and don't think I did Oceans but honestly can't remember the options and did a few maps.

I found a decent enough area not far from where I spawned, near some nice mountains, near a pretty large lake, but in a flatter area that I thought was pretty:

So one side has a nice view of the mountain where I already mined out some copper that was exposed, and I've done some initial prospecting but without finding too much other than copper.

And then on the other side I'm facing the lake that opens up to a pretty large body of water, I've explored a bit that way and it heads into more tropical lands so hopefully I can find some tropical fruit/veg once I explore a bit more.

Overall I really like the mapgen changes!

Some of the other changes I'm not as sure about but we'll see. I am extremely annoyed by the change to plain old wooden chests - they now require nails and I think specifically steel nails? I am not sure what the intended replacement for storage is, I used to rush for planks so I could make some chests to store all my poo poo and that's not possible anymore. There are crates that look like they can store things but cannot, so the only storage I can actually make now is the standard reed basket and clay stuff. I ended up popping into creative just to spawn some chests because this is too frustrating of a change for me to tolerate.

I made a raft also and that seems like a good change, but I have no idea how to actually move on the raft, presumably there's a paddle or something but I can't find it so I stood on the raft a while mashing all the keys and nothing happened so I jumped off and abandoned the raft somewhere.

I'll keep an eye on it a while - especially to see how mods come along - and might cheat in a glider just to play with that a bit, but otherwise I feel a bit directionless in the game. I might just aim for a windmill and then try to get steel, but might take a break from the game also - the new plot stuff doesn't really draw me in.

Is there a goon multiplayer server maybe? I think it'd have to be really heavily tuned for multiplayer but I'd consider dropping in occasionally. Not sure what kind of settings would make sense - I think stretching everything out (longer days, longer seasons, longer growing times, and much longer spoilage/hunger etc) would be good but might get too boring to actually play in real-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This is certainly being greedy but do they ever announce more features after the initial prerelease? Just curious.

Sometimes, but they're minor things.

Koobze posted:

Some of the other changes I'm not as sure about but we'll see. I am extremely annoyed by the change to plain old wooden chests - they now require nails and I think specifically steel nails? I am not sure what the intended replacement for storage is, I used to rush for planks so I could make some chests to store all my poo poo and that's not possible anymore. There are crates that look like they can store things but cannot, so the only storage I can actually make now is the standard reed basket and clay stuff. I ended up popping into creative just to spawn some chests because this is too frustrating of a change for me to tolerate.

If the crates hadn't changed from 1.17, then to use it you place the crate and fill it with only 1 type of something. You can use a parchment on the crate before placement as a label, but that's not necessary.

Also chests were described as requiring 1/4 of a metal ingot. If the handbook only shows steel that might be a handbook bug, check and see if there are a "metal nails and strips" smithable item for like copper.

Dev update post said something about, "crude oar" so if you searched for paddle you wouldn't find it?

Note that to get bones you have to break the carcass that spawns after you first harvest an animal. You can also now pulverize nuggets of pulverizable ores (cassiterite etc.) and not just the raw ores.