Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

because antisemistism is the urconspiracy and that's where this always ends
It's interesting how this is the case for the modern type of antisemitism (Protocols of Zion/NWO inspired), which only really goes back to the early/mid 19th century.

You did have plenty of Jew-hatred before then, but it mostly took the forms of accusations of host desecration and well poisonings, with the figure of 'the Jew' slandered more as a feral irrational Christ hater than some kind of endlessly ambitious secret society mastermind.

Before it was Jews (either real Jews like Leon Trotsky in the case of the 'Judeo-Bolshevism' conspiracy or entirely made up ones like in the Protocols, but they are both the same conspiracy) it was more often the Jesuits who were accused of being mastermind secret assassins running the world behind the scenes, which in reality was usually an excuse for sectarian weirdoes to indulge in anti Irish, Italian, and Hispanic prejudices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

haveblue posted:

That's sort of what happened to Kanye (his downward spiral began when his mother died in 2007)
From butt implants he convinced her to get.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

It's interesting how this is the case for the modern type of antisemitism (Protocols of Zion/NWO inspired), which only really goes back to the early/mid 19th century.

You did have plenty of Jew-hatred before then, but it mostly took the forms of accusations of host desecration and well poisonings, with the figure of 'the Jew' slandered more as a feral irrational Christ hater than some kind of endlessly ambitious secret society mastermind.

Before it was Jews (either real Jews like Leon Trotsky in the case of the 'Judeo-Bolshevism' conspiracy or entirely made up ones like in the Protocols, but they are both the same conspiracy) it was more often the Jesuits who were accused of being mastermind secret assassins running the world behind the scenes, which in reality was usually an excuse for sectarian weirdoes to indulge in anti Irish, Italian, and Hispanic prejudices.

Blood libel dates back to the 11th century, at least.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

zoux posted:

There is a long history of tension between the black and jewish communities in the US, Jesse Jackson famously called NYC "hymie-town" back in the 80s and you frequently see famous black athletes, actors, and artists post or boost anti-semitic speech or ideas on social media before they have to walk it back (or not in the case of DeSean Jackson)

I think that pattern of behaviour - which is often raised as a problematic point in liberal and leftist spaces - is not an issue of "Black people have an outsize tendency to resent jews", as it is typically presented. This ignores the fact that Black people in the US are not a political monolith; what we're seeing is IMO examples of how Black people can be conserative / right wing populist, just like anyone else.

note: I am neither American or Black

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's definitely been used in bad faith to paint e.g. BLM as institutionally antisemitic, when those incidents are usually just "a Black celebrity who has nothing to do with BLM said this".

zoux posted:

Blood libel dates back to the 11th century, at least.
Usually as a way of scapegoating individual murders though, rather than the idea of a big underground cabal, so it fits in more with the host desecration and well poisonings than it does with the Protocols of Zion/NWO category. That latter type of conspiracy thinking was just a find-replace on Jesuit conspiracies.

That itself seems to happen around the same time as antisemitism (especially in France and Germany) evolved from a religiously based Jew hate into proto-fascist and pseudoscientific Antisemitismus.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's James Baldwin on that tension

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It sort of makes sense, since back then the Church had a lot of pull among the 'commoners' and the elites (land-owners and other royalty), and all sorts of heresies and power struggles within the faith were intertwined with power interests. The Knights Templar were bad guys because they messed with cash flows, saying they tattooed crucifixes on their soles was just the backwards-B-carvings of the day. The rise of the petty bourgeoisie seems to make for fertile ground in looking for scapegoats in a new economic landscape, and "over-represented" Jews in trades and crafts works as An Other just fine. The link between Bolshevism and Judaism also has a neat coincidence of racially otherizing (in the "West") the folks who beheaded the owning class in Russia, thereby becoming the boogieboo of all of Europe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That does make a lot of sense.

One of the prototypal conspiracy theories of colonial America was the New York Conspiracy of 1741, which had a lot of batshit crazy constantly shifting accusations, but at the core was the idea that a white teacher was a Jesuit priest in disguise working with poor Irish and Spanish to bring about an uprising of enslaved Africans. There were no Jews in that one, but the central idea of there being a secret core of academic types causing trouble by telling African Americans that white supremacy is bad, thereby upsetting the 'natural order', is the exact same poo poo you'd see from Klansmen and Birchers in the 20th century, only of course with 'Marxist Jews' at the top instead of Jesuits and 'race mixing' instead of slavery. (Those people hated Catholics too, and I bet the 1740s guys had some terrible opinions about Jews, but there was a changing of who was secretly right at the top behind it all.)

Nowadays you can have your nerdy bookish Catholics plotting to upset the natural order and your Soros/Schwab/Jewish Doctors AS conspiracies and there's even some that now think that it's trans people behind all of the above.

Because their brains are made of pudding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The dude who beat Paul Pelosi with a hammer

Also I see Jews and Jesuits on there so seems like he was a real renaissance man

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

zoux posted:

The dude who beat Paul Pelosi with a hammer

Also I see Jews and Jesuits on there so seems like he was a real renaissance man

Being a guy that gets mad people criticize super hero movies is an interesting new one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Being a guy that gets mad people criticize super hero movies is an interesting new one.

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1586053558255767552

It's a little more than that

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 28, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Clearly we need President Dwayne Johnson to make us whole.

Edit: reading that, I think that guy who tried to murder someone with a hammer may just be a crank.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 28, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
From what I’m reading he’s a weirdo who used to do protests of anti public nudity laws in SF. I’m getting strong “mentally unwell guy who fell down the Q rabbit hole” indications

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah. I don't understand why (to describe it in the most favorable-to-GGers way possible) a conflict of interest and ethical lapse in entertainment journalism scandal was this loving watershed event for online incel fascism. Like there's so many other things that coulda done it, or at least would make more sense. Literally it's just "got mad at some girl dev for sleeping with a guy who gave her game a good review". You think the video game rating system is generally highly ethical and objective?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

zoux posted:

Ah. I don't understand why (to describe it in the most favorable-to-GGers way possible) a conflict of interest and ethical lapse in entertainment journalism scandal was this loving watershed event for online incel fascism.

A lot of these losers felt that the male dominated video game world was their last bastion of total control. To suggest that it was somehow flawed was taken very, very personally.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

Ah. I don't understand why (to describe it in the most favorable-to-GGers way possible) a conflict of interest and ethical lapse in entertainment journalism scandal was this loving watershed event for online incel fascism. Like there's so many other things that coulda done it, or at least would make more sense. Literally it's just "got mad at some girl dev for sleeping with a guy who gave her game a good review". You think the video game rating system is generally highly ethical and objective?

At first glance, face value, Gammer Gate starts as a reasonable backlash against corrupt media. You can go a decent way down the rabbit hole on it following "reasonable" arguments and with most of the rampant misogyny going unnoticed by a typical internet guy. The right wing very quickly took up the cause, and as a result a natural funnel towards extremism was formed. Remember, Gammer Gate is part of Milo's rise.

You have to remember that most people just look up the aggregate rating score for games, don't read the actual review, and don't really think about the fact that all gamer "journalism" is and always has been little more than a font of publisher/studio advertising. So when they hear a lady hosed a guy for reviews, they can go a long way on simple outrage/annoyance that their imagined reliable recommendation system is being broken. You have to do more than read headlines and listen to YouTube summaries to realize the narrative you were sold was entirely bullshit.

So, by the time you might realize nothing actually happened, you've also been fed a bunch of side noise about the sjw/feminist/trans/gay agenda that is being forced into your precious escapist entertainment. Essentially giving the radicalizers multiple avenues and chances to hook you further down the online chud conveyer belt.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The rise of fascism continues.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1586074529100664833?s=46&t=tgY3oGXzHG1nvWeWSlMLfw

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

It won't work, Caitlyn. The Trumpers will still put you up against the wall at their first opportunity.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Geshtal posted:

It won't work, Caitlyn. The Trumpers will still put you up against the wall at their first opportunity.

But she even insinuated that she gets more hate for being conservative than being trans.:downs:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

cat botherer posted:

From butt implants he convinced her to get.

Oh Jesus, for real?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

madmatt112 posted:

Oh Jesus, for real?

No it's Yesus

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Gyges posted:

At first glance, face value, Gammer Gate starts as a reasonable backlash against corrupt media. You can go a decent way down the rabbit hole on it following "reasonable" arguments
this is absolute nonsense, a hearty "gently caress you" for spreading this horseshit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC the person who posted the original screed that started Gamergate admitted that he crafted it to set off as many terrible people as possible. There's a reason "it's about ethics in game journalism" quickly became a joke

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

madmatt112 posted:

Oh Jesus, for real?

Not exactly. It wasn't butt implants, it was liposuction, abdominoplasty ("tummy tuck"), and breast reduction. And, at least by how he told it at the time, he didn't encourage her to get it but she obviously wouldn't've gotten the surgery without his fame and fortune.

I'd love to see the game of racist/oedipal telephone that ends in forums user "cat botherer" thinking Kanye made his mom get butt implants lol

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Feels like being Kanye’s mom would be so much worse than being Kanye himself. The shame.

e: I immediately regret writing this, feels mean. Sorry Kanye’s mom Donda, I hope your fake tits or whatever are kickin rad in rich people heaven.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/dougjballoon/status/1586364675092254721?s=46&t=1hVQmk6PpVBucHei7XkuXA

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

madmatt112 posted:

Feels like being Kanye’s mom would be so much worse than being Kanye himself. The shame.

e: I immediately regret writing this, feels mean. Sorry Kanye’s mom Donda, I hope your fake tits or whatever are kickin rad in rich people heaven.

if i was his mom and heard his first album i'd feel pretty good

getfiscal's back, baby

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i feel like this may have gotten lost in the shuffle but this is one of the most important essays ever written in the 20th century and i appreciate zoux for broaching the subject, or at the least, giving it context

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

i say swears online posted:

i feel like this may have gotten lost in the shuffle but this is one of the most important essays ever written in the 20th century and i appreciate zoux for broaching the subject, or at the least, giving it context

Yeah I wasn't able to properly reply to it in the moment but that is an impressive piece that I feel frames the issue in terms and concerns that are very honest and still absolutely relevant to this day.

Baldwin is so awesome.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I wasn't familiar with Baldwin so thanks for posting this. It's thoroughly considered and superbly written.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's a remarkable individual, I don't know why he's not as well known as other civil rights figures (jk he was openly gay)

He's probably most well known for his debate against Buckley at Cambridge in 1965

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUBh9GqFU3A

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Welcome to the future of Twitter

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1586693291231178753

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Insane. Is this something Republicans have ever done for Democrats?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Koburn posted:

Insane. Is this something Republicans have ever done for Democrats?

Yes, running spoiler candidates is common. It just usually doesn't result in the opposition saying 'yes this is exactly what I want' and then losing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

usually the people they boost are like max rose or some poo poo, not people that would cancel elections if they could lol. it's a gigantic self-own from the dems, especially in AZ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Murc's law is supposed to be a joke guys

Kind of the perfect example of this is the guy from MI 03, Peter Meijer, this "reasonable" GOP guy who voted for impeachment, tore his garments and gnashed his teeth about how the democrats could be boosting an insane fascist candidate like John Gibbs and then
https://twitter.com/byron_tollefson/status/1554965604821524482

Peter Meijer woulda voted for Kevin McCarthy for speaker just like John Gibbs is gonna. Peter Meijer would've voted to ban litterboxes for feline-identifying middle school students, just Iike John Gibbs is gonna.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 30, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

murk's law and it's dems supporting the moderate choice in alaska

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

i say swears online posted:

usually the people they boost are like max rose or some poo poo, not people that would cancel elections if they could lol. it's a gigantic self-own from the dems, especially in AZ

It’s a giant own on the American people really