Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Bargearse posted:

Also, when you ask someone for the address and you get a long list of directions instead.

When I give them the address and tell them that maps will often take them to the wrong spot. Then they ignore my very simple directions and screenshot of the correct place on a map and then call me when they get lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why would you screen shot a map? Just use GPS

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CelticPredator posted:

Why would you screen shot a map? Just use GPS

Because the GPS directions are often very very wrong in rural areas and you can't trust it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
yeah until some time in the last few months google maps would, in any set of directions originating at my house and involving a specific nearby highway, try insistently to make me levitate my car onto the highway from the rural road below an underpass without any access ramps, two miles from the nearest actual exit/on-ramp

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

Because the GPS directions are often very very wrong in rural areas and you can't trust it.

Look, the computer is obviously correct and you should really stop being in the wrong place.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You have reached your destination! Jump.

"Jump?"

Recalculating! Dig forty meters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GPS will usually get me close and either I can figure it out from there or call.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Brawnfire posted:

You have reached your destination! Jump.

"Jump?"

Recalculating! Dig forty meters.

You are on the fastest available route.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Trick or treat.
First of all that the concept has spread to us here in the not-states, all but replacing our similar but better tradition of Easter witches.
Secondly, and more importantly, the phrasing of trick or treat is all hosed up. Your desired outcome is a treat, so that should be first. It also doesn't in any way differentiate between the request (a treat for me) and the threat (or else a trick for you), making the entire thing seem like you're either offering a trick or a treat, or you want a trick or a treat.
A very bad concept, F, see me after class.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phone notifications should have an option to be unclickable. I like having email notifications on my phone so I can see if they're worth looking at right now, or need to be acted on when I have time, or can be safely ignored. I absolutely never, ever want to read my emails on my phone and I hate accidentally tapping the notification instead of expanding or dismissing it, because it clears all email notifications and marks that email as read, two things I almost certainly didn't want to do.

It would also be really great if my phone had a general-purpose undo button, rather than some apps having a temporary one that only pops up after certain actions and disappears if you don't tap it quick enough.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Phosphine posted:

Trick or treat.
First of all that the concept has spread to us here in the not-states, all but replacing our similar but better tradition of Easter witches.
Secondly, and more importantly, the phrasing of trick or treat is all hosed up. Your desired outcome is a treat, so that should be first. It also doesn't in any way differentiate between the request (a treat for me) and the threat (or else a trick for you), making the entire thing seem like you're either offering a trick or a treat, or you want a trick or a treat.
strong "tic-tacs should be called tac-tics so the vowels are in alphabetical order" energy

It's related to "ablout reduplication", it just sounds better this way

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Well gently caress this is one of those things that will be in my head for the next thirty fuckin years

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Phosphine posted:

Trick or treat.

Treat or trick
Treat or trick
Give me something good to eat

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I always interpreted it as an equal offer, tbh. When I was a kid I was thrilled the one time an old man asked for a trick

We TPd his house, as tradition demands

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
I loving hate when you go to set up network devices for a business and they have zero information or credentials ready, and have everything misconfigured, and watch over your shoulder expecting things to be set up in an hour or less.

Woman, I've never seen your poo poo, and you don't know what's on your network, so I have to learn all the little quirks of your lovely little network from scratch.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No I WILL NOT rate my experience paying my bill on your site YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR, INTERNET RATINGS ADDICTS

e. Of course if I'd worked with an actual person to pay my bill I would rate them 5 out of 5 without hesitation. I'm not a monster.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brawnfire posted:

Treat or trick
Treat or trick
Give me something good to eat

Trick or treat.
Smell my feet
Give me something good to eat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I could FEEL I'd hosed something up, but I was confused by purposefully loving up

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

docbeard posted:

No I WILL NOT rate my experience paying my bill on your site YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR, INTERNET RATINGS ADDICTS

e. Of course if I'd worked with an actual person to pay my bill I would rate them 5 out of 5 without hesitation. I'm not a monster.

You slap 0 stars for that bullshit $1.95 paying online convenience fee, come on.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People who get right close behind you in line. First there’s personal space and second there’s still Covid going on. In a grocery line with us being the only two in it I don’t need this old man pushing his cart behind me and leaving 3 inches of space between it and my back. And then the paypad is now blocked by his cart so I got to push his cart back and now I look like a jerk for bullying this old man. I tell you I was so annoyed I followed him to his car and crushed his skull between his car door in front t of his wife.

Raudedauden
Jun 18, 2005
Just because I am on my phone doesn't mean I want to download your stupid app.

A literal pet peeve: My cat doesn't cover up her poop when she goes to the box so I have to clean it right away so the house doesn't stink. Lately she's been pooping right before dinner. :butt:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Why the hell do I keep waking up at 4:30 AM

This is not a reasonable time to be up

But I am wide awake

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The phrase "we've got company", as used in TV shows and movies to mean "we've been spotted/are being chased". No one says that. That is not a normal thing to say. But screenwriters apparently think it's just part of everyday speech because they use it constantly.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

The phrase "we've got company", as used in TV shows and movies to mean "we've been spotted/are being chased". No one says that. That is not a normal thing to say. But screenwriters apparently think it's just part of everyday speech because they use it constantly.

I'm rarely in a position where I'm in danger of being spotted or chased but that seems like a thing I'd say if it happened, though it's much more likely that I'd say AAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I think gently caress, THEY'RE COMING is probably most universal

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh gently caress, we're gonna make them come

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

docbeard posted:

I'm rarely in a position where I'm in danger of being spotted or chased but that seems like a thing I'd say if it happened, though it's much more likely that I'd say AAAAAAAAAHHH!!!
I think, if it were me, I'd be more likely to say something like "I think they've spotted us" or "someone seems to be chasing us" or perhaps something more specifically applicable like "they're catching up" or "they're on our left" if we were expecting to be followed. Mostly this is based on things I've actually said while playing or watching video games. At no point have I ever said "we've got company" to alert my teammates (or the person playing the game) that there was an enemy approaching, because that would be a really weird thing to say.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Like most things on tv, its language from 50 years ago

Kinda like no one has said "cheese it, the fuzz!" in forever, but it was pretty standard when I was young and stupid

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Like most things on tv, its language from 50 years ago

Kinda like no one has said "cheese it, the fuzz!" in forever, but it was pretty standard when I was young and stupid

It also makes sense to think maybe those kind of phrases were more common in situations like wartime, when manning a watchpost was something almost every man of every age had done. Shooting the poo poo and swagger probably resulted in tons of off-the-cuff "here we go again!" sort of phrases, which would then make its way into military fiction and thus unto action cliche. I could see a group of GIs playing cards and smoking cigarettes until Private Blake lowers the field glasses and mutters "looks like we've got company"

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
I get really bitter when I am talking about something controversial, try to make a nuanced or specific point or play devil's advocate for something I may not support, then get labeled as being for that thing despite specifically saying I'm not in support of the thing.

I shouldn't, but I do. That's my current nagging peeve.

I have too much pride to stop once that battles been lost. It's frustrating.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Stephen King's stories and the way people talk get more bizarre with every year that passes and further expands the gap between modern times and whatever 1950s pastiche all his books seem set in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

credburn posted:

Stephen King's stories and the way people talk get more bizarre with every year that passes and further expands the gap between modern times and whatever 1950s pastiche all his books seem set in.

SSDB. Same poo poo Different Book.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Selling poo poo online (unless the person just smacks the lovely 'buy now' button and everything is done without any human interaction).

The local equivalent of craigslist here has user ratings where you can see how long as user has been active, and feedback they've gotten.
You can however only rate someone if you complete a sale/purchase with them, meaning that all the time wasting airheads never get dinged. (Or possibly keep reregistering new accounts.)

I really wish I could just give negative reviews to people like this, I had someone postpone twice, change their mind, then change their mind again, then arranged to meet up today.
So of course they didn't show up.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Anyone who uses unrelated puns as subheadings in an article should have all anatomical means of typing or dictating forcibly removed

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

SubNat posted:

Selling poo poo online (unless the person just smacks the lovely 'buy now' button and everything is done without any human interaction).

The local equivalent of craigslist here has user ratings where you can see how long as user has been active, and feedback they've gotten.
You can however only rate someone if you complete a sale/purchase with them, meaning that all the time wasting airheads never get dinged. (Or possibly keep reregistering new accounts.)

I really wish I could just give negative reviews to people like this, I had someone postpone twice, change their mind, then change their mind again, then arranged to meet up today.
So of course they didn't show up.

The people who just don't show up or otherwise ghost you are quite annoying, but on the other hand:

I'm currently trying to sell a TV cabinet. It's like a small cupboard, with glass fronted doors and shelves inside. All this is clear from the photos and the description. A lady messages me, asks if it's available, and says she can come and pick it up immediately.

She arrives, takes a few minutes looking at it, then decides she doesn't want it because he'd need to remove the shelves AND the glass doors for it to fulfill her requirements. What a colossal waste of everyone's time. I have literally no idea why she even showed up :psyduck:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
On three different occasions I've had buyers show up, inspect the item I'm selling, ask a few normal questions, agree upon a price, come back from their car with silver bars, then leave when I said I needed to be paid in money.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
What is that, some kind of scam from 1906? Bringing in "bullion" that's just silver-plated base metal, one assumes, it's just so beyond retro...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Dip Viscous posted:

On three different occasions I've had buyers show up, inspect the item I'm selling, ask a few normal questions, agree upon a price, come back from their car with silver bars, then leave when I said I needed to be paid in money.

:dafuq: where and when are you from?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I too sell all my used crap to moustachioed expats on a small Indonesian island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

if you work in retail you'll know the customer always tries to pay in krugerrands