Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

wonder if mastodon is seeing much uptake from this

it's basically open source twitter with decentralized communities that can interact and follow each other, but with the option for each community to block other communities. i barely ever look at it, but have a few friends who migrated there over the years and have good things to say about it. the upsides are no ads and moderation by each community rather than one monolithic organization. downside is that it doesn't have that many users so if you're trying to sell something or build a brand you should probably stick to twitter (for now, maybe not for long)

Hm, The only Mastadon I know is the metal band from the early 2000's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
well, that early elephants

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

it's basically open source twitter with decentralized communities that can interact and follow each other, but with the option for each community to block other communities. i barely ever look at it, but have a few friends who migrated there over the years and have good things to say about it. the upsides are no ads and moderation by each community rather than one monolithic organization. downside is that it doesn't have that many users so if you're trying to sell something or build a brand you should probably stick to twitter (for now, maybe not for long)

The issue with mastodon is it's intentionally designed to be hard to go viral on it. The Main Character Effect was both the blessing and curse of Twitter, because it organized mob behavior.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

"For cause" abuse to deny severance pay and benefits is a workers rights issue. All those people suck but the concept of needing a real cause to fire someone should be defended.

It's easy to square the circle here though.

They should have all the rights of any other worker plus also they should be taxed into space for the insane amount of money they'll get.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Gonna lol if Free Speech Twitter kills Gab and Parler by luring away all the Nazis/chuds (ie their entire userbases), then Elon realizes he has to ban them all anyway because they ruin the site.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bad Purchase posted:

It's worth noting there's absolutely zero privacy on Mastodon, for any segment of the site.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Zugzwang posted:

Gonna lol if Free Speech Twitter kills Gab and Parler by luring away all the Nazis/chuds (ie their entire userbases), then Elon realizes he has to ban them all anyway because they ruin the site.

but Elon bought the site so the Nazis/Chuds have a place to talk

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zugzwang posted:

Then, he can deflect by disbanding and reforming the cihcul every few months and blaming rogue leftists or some poo poo on the bans.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Then, he can deflect by disbanding and reforming the cihcul every few months and blaming rogue leftists or some poo poo on the bans.

again. that was literally the reason he bought it. To make a platform where racists and assholes can't be banned

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
a South African white man's version of free speech

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!

Bad Purchase posted:

mastodon usage jumped 1000000000000000% in the last 2 days for a grand total of 206 users worldwide

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Yaldabaoth posted:

I think it's a good thing for rich executives to be fired without their golden parachutes, but Musk sucks, so...

It's perfectly alright to cheer for them all just tearing each other's eyes out both in and out of the courtroom.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

For $50 a month you get a check mark that looks like a double donger

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Going to drop $20/mo on a blue checkmark so I can shill crypto while pretending to be a public figure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Literally ruining the one good feature they had to turn a profit.

And it's unlikely it'll work.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

It's worth noting there's absolutely zero privacy on Mastodon, for any segment of the site.

what do you mean? post privacy or personal info like your email address and whatever else you put in your accounts profile? and in what way does it offer less privacy than twitter or other social media?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
On the bright side, none of Trump's followers will be able to differentiate his actual tweets from the ten million fake accounts with verified marks.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

This might be the only (very loosely) good idea he's had for Twitter, and he was inspired by a random reply guy in the middle of the night on a Friday after he'd already bought the company.

And yes, it's the self-selected-slur-slider but at least it's a novel concept for content moderation.

I really hope Jeffrey has a plan to catch some of the exploring market share as re-regs and new regs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

all i ever hear about mastodon in practice is that it devolves into an inscrutable web of drama and infighting

half your follows disappear one day because the admin of your instance got in a slapfight with some other instance and there's nothing you can do about it besides start over on another instance

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

I really hope Jeffrey has a plan to catch some of the exploring market share as re-regs and new regs.

Elon puts out press release: "Elon Musk breathes new life into dead gay forum, as was definitely the plan the whole time."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xarph posted:

The issue with mastodon is it's intentionally designed to be hard to go viral on it. The Main Character Effect was both the blessing and curse of Twitter, because it organized mob behavior.

Yeah, Mastodon was made by people that were like "I want something like what twitter used to be, when it was just a bunch of little communities and we microblogged about our lunches". IE, when the only people on it were early adopter nerds. Which is cool and it's good those people made Mastodon to do that thing. Chill little internet communities are good.

But that's not what 99.9% of people on twitter today are there for. Is that it's not about little communities. It's about going viral, it's about @ing a Kardashian or Elon Musk and maybe they reply, and it's about getting really really mad at strangers.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Waffle House posted:

I think I will just keep posting for free, and as they slowly move towards freemium, will stop posting

I'm going to make the longshot prediction that this is actually going to make Twitter a lot of money (just not enough to offset the massive amount of debt it has been saddled with by Elon Musk's stupid-as-gently caress stunt purchase).

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I’m actually kinda hoping he just drives it into the ground and Twitter shuts down and all the investors lose their shirts TBH. Twitter sucks.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Hm, The only Mastadon I know is the metal band from the early 2000's

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

he really is one of those dumb asses who tries to make a rube goldberg up and subscription plan everything he does.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you can buy the full self-posting account upgrade for a one time fee of $6000, but it's going to go up each year, so lock in now

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the full self-owning feature is only available to the ceo

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Elon and his family are basically human Resident Evil antagonists with ludicrous backstories and character designs.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Time_pants posted:

I'm going to make the longshot prediction that this is actually going to make Twitter a lot of money (just not enough to offset the massive amount of debt it has been saddled with by Elon Musk's stupid-as-gently caress stunt purchase).
There are ~420,000 blue-checked twitter accounts. If every single one of them paid $5 a month, that's 25 million dollars a year.

At that rate, it would only take Elon 1,700 years to make back all the money he spent on Twitter.

You can kind of see why Twitter never tried to monetize its verified accounts: the employee man-hours spent on the non-automated verification request process itself probably eats up any possible direct monetary gains.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There are ~420,000 blue-checked twitter accounts. If every single one of them paid $5 a month, that's 25 million dollars a year.

At that rate, it would only take Elon 1,700 years to make back all the money he spent on Twitter.

You can kind of see why Twitter never tried to monetize its verified accounts: the employee man-hours spent on the non-automated verification request process itself probably eats up any possible direct monetary gains.

Good news! No more man-hours spent verifying anything, just pay us money and get a blue check!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/freemaneric/status/1586937880114450432?s=46&t=gYN15SZVsaEKEWIZQ84t5A

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I am surprised it is so few, between narcissist's, journalists and corporate social media departments.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Hmmmmmmm, $10 for a forums account on a dead forum, or $20 to get 10,000 suckers to fall for my scam?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

burn baby burn

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

tbh all that's really left for "free speech" is the n word and rambling godwin diatribes. There's no wheel to reinvent; it's been that way for decades. It only results in terminal peepee the frog infections.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Bad Purchase posted:

the full self-owning feature is only available to the ceo

hee hee hee!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
elin: tell me about my own penis, mister musk

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Yeah, Mastodon was made by people that were like "I want something like what twitter used to be, when it was just a bunch of little communities and we microblogged about our lunches". IE, when the only people on it were early adopter nerds. Which is cool and it's good those people made Mastodon to do that thing. Chill little internet communities are good.

But that's not what 99.9% of people on twitter today are there for. Is that it's not about little communities. It's about going viral, it's about @ing a Kardashian or Elon Musk and maybe they reply, and it's about getting really really mad at strangers.
Honestly sounds like the forums a bit. I've been looking at it and it seems appealing. I don't follow technology that much but it feels like people are moving to more "federated" forms of social media anyways. I mean that in a loose sense and not in a strictly technical one. The downside is they don't scale easily because the architecture is confusing to most people, but they've been incubating for awhile and it makes me wonder. I also suspect that Twitter's death rattle is gonna start shaking when "creative" type people and "early adopters" will leave it for other sites. Or the kind of people who work in Silicon Valley and don't like Musk, not the people who treat Musk like Steve Jobs, that is mainly just hipsters, and with Musk it's terminally online crypto-bros and ancaps who believe "yeah he might run slave-driving companies but this is a necessity to filter for the right type of passionate people."

But then on the other hand, the decentralized and "free" internet has always been a dream that didn't pan out as the internet became consolidated by big corporations, and the crypto bros are only now realizing that crypto is in the stage of being consolidated. So I dunno. What do you think?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hey what's up gamers, it's ya boy WeedMusk420 here! Today I'm gonna be doing the 49 billion to 0 billion any percent speedrun, let's go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Klyith posted:

This is probably the best description I've read regarding this arrangement. Thank you.