Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

2: Looks and performs perfectly on the deck. It's not verified but as far as I can tell the only reason why is because you have to know to do the deck keyboard shortcut when naming characters.
I think that's true. FF I-IV are verified and the only difference is the keyboard bit.

As far as settings you may want to change it to Fullscreen instead of Windowed, as if you ever play it docked it will keep resetting to 1280x720 instead of 1280x800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's funny, because in 1 and 3 you have to use the keyboard to name your four dudes, and those are Verified, but 5 and 6 are both Playable and you never need to touch the keyboard in those games because all the characters have default names. My best guess is it's because in the Verified games you only need to open the keyboard at the very beginning, whereas if you decide to rename every single character in the Playable games you'd need to be doing it multiple times throughout the game.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Well, it's been a few days and I'm loving the deck. Plays most of the games that would run well with a controller and I've got my emulators running. For games, it's beautiful. The desktop interface is a bit weird though. It's probably best to use a keyboard and mouse with it especially since the trackpad is a bit strange, could be my big thumbs though.

Would recommend even for the price.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you dont live in California this is a pretty decent deal for a deck charger and a longer cable.

Limited-time deal: Amazon Basics 68W Two-Port GaN Wall Charger with 1 USB-C Port (50W) and 1 USB-A Port (18W) for Laptops, Tablets and Phones with Power Delivery - White (non-PPS) - Charger Only https://a.co/gedyEPu

$13.28

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tarkus posted:

Well, it's been a few days and I'm loving the deck. Plays most of the games that would run well with a controller and I've got my emulators running. For games, it's beautiful. The desktop interface is a bit weird though. It's probably best to use a keyboard and mouse with it especially since the trackpad is a bit strange, could be my big thumbs though.

Would recommend even for the price.

Yeah if you're using Desktop mode for anything beyond fiddling with your Emudeck setup you're gonna be way better off having an actual keyboard and mouse. I think that's the intended use case anyway for the people who want to use the Deck as their main PC if all they do at their monitor is watch videos and do web stuff.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
FYI For those using nreal glasses they released a beta firmware update today that fixes the fps halving on deck.

Edit: just realized GOW Ragnarok isn't coming out on steam in November; that's a bummer since that's one of the main reasons I bought the deck. Fortunately just picked up cyberpunk and red dead 2 on sale and both run great so far!

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 31, 2022

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Do any of you use a stylus for your Deck? I've been playing Nintendogs and while the touchpad with my finger is fine, I would like something a little more precise. Some people on Reddit seem to be having issues with styluses though, so I figured I'd ask here.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You could get another Deck to control your docked Deck. Maybe just get a PC though.

Yo dawg, I heard u like Drecks so I got you another Dreck for yo Dreck so you can game while u game.

worms butthole guy posted:

I had yo reformat my Deck, but I still have lots of games on my SD card. How do I get the deck to recognize them

Note that, with Steam, you can back up the entire game directories and copy them to a different installation, but Steam won't recognize the games without the index(?) files from the original system. That's solved by trying to install the game again, after which Steam will detect the existing files and update if necessary.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Do any of you use a stylus for your Deck? I've been playing Nintendogs and while the touchpad with my finger is fine, I would like something a little more precise. Some people on Reddit seem to be having issues with styluses though, so I figured I'd ask here.

I haven't used a stylus, but I can see where those other people are coming from, because in my experience the Dreck's touchscreen is pretty imprecise, at least with a glass screen protector on top.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't have a screen protector currently and the Deck's touchscreen is still pretty imprecise, at least with just my finger.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Atomizer posted:

I haven't used a stylus, but I can see where those other people are coming from, because in my experience the Dreck's touchscreen is pretty imprecise, at least with a glass screen protector on top.

Commander Keene posted:

I don't have a screen protector currently and the Deck's touchscreen is still pretty imprecise, at least with just my finger.

One of my few complaints about the Deck is the touchscreen. It just does not feel as precise, sensitive, and good to use as my phone. Hopefully v2 has a better one (and OLED).

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Commander Keene posted:

It's funny, because in 1 and 3 you have to use the keyboard to name your four dudes, and those are Verified, but 5 and 6 are both Playable and you never need to touch the keyboard in those games because all the characters have default names. My best guess is it's because in the Verified games you only need to open the keyboard at the very beginning, whereas if you decide to rename every single character in the Playable games you'd need to be doing it multiple times throughout the game.

It's funnier to me that they made it require a keyboard to input names when the originals obviously had an onscreen keyboard for input.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

PageMaster posted:

Edit: just realized GOW Ragnarok isn't coming out on steam in November; that's a bummer since that's one of the main reasons I bought the deck.

Yeah I keep having to remind myself of this, too. At the moment I think we're still lacking any sort of established rhyme or reason to what they bring to PC or when, but give it 18-24 months I can definitely see a Ragnarok release on Steam. I imagine the pipeline will only get smoother (and probably quicker) from here, even if we never get to day-and-date releases with PS5.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

One of my few complaints about the Deck is the touchscreen. It just does not feel as precise, sensitive, and good to use as my phone. Hopefully v2 has a better one (and OLED).

This is one field where the switch has the deck beat, imo. Maybe it's more of a software thing and it can improve in time.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

A few things to report:

SIGNALIS and Cult of the Lamb are fantastic on the Deck. And I'm amazed at how well Metroid Prime Trilogy runs with the Deck button textures. It might as well been a Deck port.

3 moth trip report of the Gulikit hall-sensor thumb sticks: still working perfectly. Its nice having such a small deadzone for precise aiming in sniper games. The only bottleneck preventing me from getting rid of the deadzones altogether is the mechanical joystick not always springing back to a perfect 0,0 position.

The Steam Dock works perfectly except that a USB-A to USB-C cable plugged in the back doesn't seem to pass enough power to charge my headphones and XBox gamepad. Otherwise, it amazes me how the Deck could really be used as a desktop replacement for someone who only uses their internet browser.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It's garbage. Worse than a 2011-era smartphone. The next Deck desperately needs a good OLED screen with proper touch response, and VRR.

Animal fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 31, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So RuneFactory 5 doesn’t seem to register the steam decks controls even when set in the settings and Gedonia doesn’t go past the loading screens.

Not sure what’s up with the last one there as it should be working it just hangs at a loading screen for me

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Nintendo 49ers posted:

Yeah I keep having to remind myself of this, too. At the moment I think we're still lacking any sort of established rhyme or reason to what they bring to PC or when, but give it 18-24 months I can definitely see a Ragnarok release on Steam. I imagine the pipeline will only get smoother (and probably quicker) from here, even if we never get to day-and-date releases with PS5.

I can't imagine sony ever doing day and date. PS exclusives also have decent tails on sales which is why they wait so long. It seems to be a way to earn on older titles as they are still mostly single player experiences

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I previously added a report on protondb about Super Amazing Wagon Adventure that the music doesn't work. Now that it's fixed I want to edit my contribution but I can't find it anywhere. I'm not sure if it was removed or wasn't approved, or if I really just can't find it. Maybe I typed out the thing and hit submit and it didn't go through back then?

This is my test on whether I should be submitting obscure stuff to protondb. Anyone else have experience like this?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

not Staning, not sponsored, not affiliate link.
This is a nice upgrade to the Steam Deck official case. I can't speak for longevity but it sure is nice to have my charger and Bluetooth earbuds for it actually IN something instead of relying an an elastic band that will end up stretched out.

There's a ton of these out there and they're probably all the exact same. I was particularly worried since this is 100% a product swap to keep good reviews since some folks mention a battery, AND it came with a lithium ion sticker on the box.
But @ 15-19 USD + 30% off currently it was cheap enough to gamble on.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083GGSM4L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is there any way to get a keyboard that’s an actual straight-line grid? The current layout is very frustrating— keys should be straight up and down.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've finally taken the plunge and started Anachronox and my god this is a game that really doesn't want you to use a controller. I'm still doing it but having to use the track pad as an actual mouse to examine everything is kind of a pain.

Playing as Wide JC Denton and his WoW cosplaying grampa is fun so far though. This is the kind of weird game that's right up my alley, but I can see why it got totally forgotten. If this got released in modern times though, I think people would probably like it more.

... And if anyone is wondering, I did try and load Daikatana on this thing, but it crashed when I started the game.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

MarcusSA posted:

So RuneFactory 5 doesn’t seem to register the steam decks controls even when set in the settings and Gedonia doesn’t go past the loading screens.

Not sure what’s up with the last one there as it should be working it just hangs at a loading screen for me

If it's like the VtMB input bug I talked about a page ago, try using an older (3.x) version of proton or try running from desktop mode after configuring your controls (no touchpad menus unfortunately)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Momomo posted:

I've finally taken the plunge and started Anachronox and my god this is a game that really doesn't want you to use a controller. I'm still doing it but having to use the track pad as an actual mouse to examine everything is kind of a pain.

Playing as Wide JC Denton and his WoW cosplaying grampa is fun so far though. This is the kind of weird game that's right up my alley, but I can see why it got totally forgotten. If this got released in modern times though, I think people would probably like it more.

... And if anyone is wondering, I did try and load Daikatana on this thing, but it crashed when I started the game.

I played the demo for that years and years ago. Can't remember if it was any good... I for one would read whatever else you care to post about the game+deck combo!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has emudeck stopped overriding saves and settings with its updates or should I still not bother getting the app

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

RBA Starblade posted:

Has emudeck stopped overriding saves and settings with its updates or should I still not bother getting the app

I updated it and my Silent Hill 4 saves were intact but those were in game saves not save states so I don't know really.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

caldrax posted:

I updated it and my Silent Hill 4 saves were intact but those were in game saves not save states so I don't know really.

Those are no big deal to me at least

Also I just realized that my Xbox controller won't vibrate at all when used in steam games, despite the setting being enabled. Anyone else encounter that?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I also recently updated and all my saves were intact. It did not configure RetroAchievements correctly though so that was a whole ordeal to re-enable. RetroArch can be so awkward to navigate I get lost so easily.

Hopefully this saves someone time if they run into something similar. Emudeck configures RetroArch to reset all config changes you make on exit, to change this go to Settings -> Configuration and turn on the save on exit feature. Even with this on I had to first manually save the global config. Then once all that was setup right I was able to finally get RetroAchievements to work again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I would say get Emudeck, but update the emulators through Discover instead of Emudeck itself. No reason to update Emudeck as a whole unless they've put some major feature out.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If I haven't done my whole Emudeck setup on an SD card, but want to switch over to one, how much of a pain in the rear end am I looking at here

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Castlevania collection is on sale for about $5 right now, that seems like a perfect thing for the deck.
Also Inscryption if you haven't played that, it's rad and works great on deck

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
You all know that you don't need to use EmuDeck right? Like it's fine if you want to, but the emulators are usable on their own too if you'd rather just go that route.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also even if you use EmuDeck, it mostly just installs Flatpaks for everything so you can update stuff through the discover store, you don't need to run the script again.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You all know that you don't need to use EmuDeck right? Like it's fine if you want to, but the emulators are usable on their own too if you'd rather just go that route.

Of course, but I just said I was annoyed having to configure one thing for RetroArch, why would I want to do everything manually? Or worse yet do it manually for 10 different emulators?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was just going to be lazy about maintaining them all yeah lol

Still can't seem to get vibrate to work unfortunately

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So it was brought up in here last week I think that Outrun Online Arcade for PS3 emulated perfectly on the Deck and that was all good but then I remembered that I wasn't an idiot and bought Outrun 2006 on PC before it was delisted and yep this is better. Though you do have to download a community control layout because default mapping straight up doesn't work. Also will have to fiddle with its artwork to make it look nice because it's from a time when all a Steam game needed was a grid and icon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Opopanax posted:

Castlevania collection is on sale for about $5 right now, that seems like a perfect thing for the deck.

Lord of Shadow is rated “unsupported”, alas.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yea but I'm too lazy to download and install and configure all those emulators.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm just saying that if you find yourself fighting with EmuDeck overwriting configurations you can just manually install the flatpaks, or use EmuDeck to install them once and manually update them if needed.

Also some emulators break save states between versions so be careful when updating Dolphin.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is there any danger updating to EmuDeck 2? I just dutifully update emulators via discovery, so

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
The Touch screen is pretty lovely, that is true, but are there good, mainstream PC games where a touchscreen improves the experience? Honest question, I still haven't played with my deck much so far.
Same with the gyroscope thingy, seems cool but I don't know if I will ever end up using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jokes posted:

Is there any danger updating to EmuDeck 2? I just dutifully update emulators via discovery, so
IDK personally haven't done it but a lot of people report losing their settings and saves.