Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Volte posted:

Bethesda are seemingly the only company who knows how to make an interesting open world game where the open-worldness of it is the point of the game and not just a way to pad out the content with a million optional side things. Has any other company (besides Obsidian) actually made a Bethesda-style open world where there are no "point of interest" icons, no story progression beyond the arbitrarily designated "main quest", and you actually just have the whole world at your disposal to do as you please and role-playing is actually possible? I can't really think of one.

Can’t thibk of a single one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volte posted:

Bethesda are seemingly the only company who knows how to make an interesting open world game where the open-worldness of it is the point of the game and not just a way to pad out the content with a million optional side things. Has any other company (besides Obsidian) actually made a Bethesda-style open world where there are no "point of interest" icons, no story progression beyond the arbitrarily designated "main quest", and you actually just have the whole world at your disposal to do as you please and role-playing is actually possible? I can't really think of one.

kenshi

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Volte posted:

But they made the same game for 20 years and its boring now

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I have an extremely long hdmi cable for watching kinos

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Badthesda

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The problem with the elder scrolls games is that the open world poo poo is a mile wide and an inch deep, getting ever worse from Morrowind to Skyrim. Like what is the point of making this big world with all these NPCs and all this poo poo to do, when you'll be hearing the same 4 voice actors reading the same 10 lines over and over again?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

BoosterDuck posted:

gamebryo with more graphics isn't a new engine

I didnt say it was a new engine but it has changed. a lot. andnot as a "more graphics"

Professor Beetus posted:

The problem with the elder scrolls games is that the open world poo poo is a mile wide and an inch deep, getting ever worse from Morrowind to Skyrim. Like what is the point of making this big world with all these NPCs and all this poo poo to do, when you'll be hearing the same 4 voice actors reading the same 10 lines over and over again?

I find it better than visual novel moviegame bullshit of bioware or the "Look at my diorama!!!" garbage from CDPR.

Don't get me started on Obshitian, haven't made a game worth playing since PoE 1

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I didnt say it was a new engine but it has changed. a lot. andnot as a "more graphics"

Gamebryo itself is a perfectly fine game engine. The problem is Bethesda's fork of it for in-house development has been demonstrably buggy as poo poo.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Borrowing a friend’s Series S since she grabbed an X recently too and holy gently caress y’all weren’t kidding with the load times.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Elder Scrolls games are great and even better on the Series X. Fallout 4 wasn’t so hot but the shooting was fun.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Elder Scrolls games are great and have been getting better with every iteration. Fallout 4 was to me a significant step back with the settlement stuff being a bad completely different game I didn't want in my Fallout (but other people liked a lot, so expecting it to come back :( ) and the generic radient quests fighting for space in my memory with the stuff that was actually written, which was sometimes quite good.

Also I remember something about putting hundreds of tomatoes through a fermenting process or something in order to make a big robot.

e: \/ Ubisoft games I get you, the deal with Bethesda games is that they're absolute crack for anyone sick of being forced down corridor after corridor. Their games all have that post-prologue moment where the player character steps out of the tutorial zone and the sun is in their eyes and the whole game landscape is laid out in front of you. It's all about that moment.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 31, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like Ubisoft enjoyers and Bethesda enjoyers are on another planet entirely, or only game while catatonically stoned or drunk or something

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I like both, but I've never been drunk or stoned. Ubi and Beth represent comfort food for me - I don't play games to try and find artistic experiences or deeply moving moments or challenging moral dilemmas, at least not beyond what an average, mass-marketed entertainment product provides.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I’d rather die than play a Ubisoft game but Bethesda games? Goated. Works on my machine.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Professor Beetus posted:

Like what is the point of making this big world with all these NPCs and all this poo poo to do, when you'll be hearing the same 4 voice actors reading the same 10 lines over and over again?
This isn't an accurate description of Bethesda games at all though. The lack of distinct voice actors does suck (although it was way more of an issue in Oblivion and Skyrim than any of the Fallouts that I noticed) but the game scripts are massive, which is the thing that makes the lack of voice actors stand out so much. It's the same 4 voice actors reading 60,000 lines.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/_QWnCDYeYH0

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Mandatory overscan is a bigger dealbreaker than 1080p, IMO. Really sucks for all those older consoles in weird ways too, like how the PS2's 480p widescreen basically requires you to do a horizontal stretch of an extra 8% or so for the geometry to look right. Of course, with mandatory widescreen you probably don't see the telltale gaps on the sides.

That's not me saying "buy a new TV." I wouldn't buy a new TV if my old one still worked either. Thoughts and prayers for you, plasma tv guy.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Larry Parrish posted:

i feel like Ubisoft enjoyers and Bethesda enjoyers are on another planet entirely, or only game while catatonically stoned or drunk or something

Completely different types of games, can't compare them at all. The only thing they have in common is an open world.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John F Bennett posted:

Completely different types of games, can't compare them at all. The only thing they have in common is an open world.

I can think of one other thing they have in common.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Professor Beetus posted:

Isn't the mile wide inch deep problem an issue for most open world games?

I'd say Bethesda is at least better about it than say, Rockstar. Big beautiful worlds but pitiful leveling systems, free reign to wander and do whatever but no real inventory to speak of except weapons, crap to collect but no real purpose to it.

I preordered FO76, and it loving sucked for the first year, but here we are, 4 years after release, and it's actually coming along pretty nice. It's not New Vegas or FO4, but it has its own charm now, like trapping people and killing them with flamethrowers. I'll never preorder a game again, but they finally made FO76 at least a decent game.

Now bring back Nuclear Winter, I want to dance in the fire looking for nuclear briefcases again.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gamebryo itself is a perfectly fine game engine. The problem is Bethesda's fork of it for in-house development has been demonstrably buggy as poo poo.

Well as I said earlier in the thread, the kind of games that Bethesda makes are not easy to make bug-free, but also, Bethesda games were increasingly bugfree in what was a hopeful trend until 76 came out and reset the trend.

Larry Parrish posted:

I know that the last few creeds have been insane in terms of "content" but I wouldn't compare them at all.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm sure I've heard one of the Bethesda devs talking about how Gamebryo is what enables the extreme modding capabilities of Bethesda games.

And also the ability to pick up and manipulate every little thing you see and drop it somewhere else in the world, which is a main thing in what makes a Bethesda game unique. I've never seen an other open-world game do this, so I'm sure it's not an easy thing to make.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

John F Bennett posted:

I'm sure I've heard one of the Bethesda devs talking about how Gamebryo is what enables the extreme modding capabilities of Bethesda games.

And also the ability to pick up and manipulate every little thing you see and drop it somewhere else in the world, which is a main thing in what makes a Bethesda game unique. I've never seen an other open-world game do this, so I'm sure it's not an easy thing to make.

It's very much not. I also wanted to add that most people don't actually know what a game engine is, because some people literally seem to think its like "car engine" that runs when you turn the game on or something.

It's like meeting people who think "the cloud" is like, an actual literal physical cloud of data somewhere

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Asscreed does not have the juice to be 60+hours.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

Asscreed does not have the juice to be 60+hours.

Even the series high water marks at 2 and brotherhood wore out their welcomes after like 15 hours

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
15 mins more like

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Working on games I already own...is it permissible to skip through Mass Effect 1? I really just want the story beats and decisions, but holy cow the combat is really dragging me down even on the lowest mode. The level design is just so terrible.

I've heard the actual gameplay in ME2 is much improved. But I don't wanna go in blind, and when stuff actually happens it is pretty cool.

Should I just use a guide or something?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

I recall one of the Obsidian guys talking about how the Bethesda tech (Gamebryo, Creation, whatever name you wanna use) lends itself to building huge open worlds at great speed with a relatively small team.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
You have get 1000/1000 cheevs before you can play 2. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

External Organs posted:

Working on games I already own...is it permissible to skip through Mass Effect 1? I really just want the story beats and decisions, but holy cow the combat is really dragging me down even on the lowest mode. The level design is just so terrible.

I've heard the actual gameplay in ME2 is much improved. But I don't wanna go in blind, and when stuff actually happens it is pretty cool.

Yeah skip 1

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
me1 makes me wish i was playing it on PC where i could just muck up a save file that did all the quests and poo poo

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Pretty sure that the remasters come with the visual novel mode for ME1 and 2 that lets you customize all the decisions and completed quests on the previous games for when you create a fresh character for the later titles.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ryoga posted:

Pretty sure that the remasters come with the visual novel mode for ME1 and 2 that lets you customize all the decisions and completed quests on the previous games for when you create a fresh character for the later titles.

removed the gratuitous butt shots though, thumbs down

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

External Organs posted:

You can just skip it and use the optional recap when starting ME2 that lets you make some of the key decisions from ME1. But personally I'd recommend sticking through the main story while not bothering with side quests too much, unless it really is too much of a pain. But I understand and agree that the map design really is not good in ME1.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ryoga posted:

Was this always a thing? And where is it lol

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Was this always a thing? And where is it lol

I think it straight up suggests it if you start a new game with a new character in ME2 or 3.

Those interactive recap comics were originally released as paid DLCs for ME2 & 3 (which was kinda silly) but now they're included in Legendary Edition like everything else.
e: actually the one for ME2 was originally created for and included with the PS3 version because the PS3 didn't have ME1 at the time. But it was also sold as paid DLC for PC & Xbox.

Zat fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 31, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Volte posted:

This isn't an accurate description of Bethesda games at all though. The lack of distinct voice actors does suck (although it was way more of an issue in Oblivion and Skyrim than any of the Fallouts that I noticed) but the game scripts are massive, which is the thing that makes the lack of voice actors stand out so much. It's the same 4 voice actors reading 60,000 lines.

I mean 60000 lines isn't that impressive of a metric when you can talk to literally every single NPC in the game and the majority of the unique lines are going to be in the main quest and curated/significant side quests. I think Bethesda games would benefit greatly from cutting voiced dialogue from non-important NPCs, because if they want to pretend that everyone in the game is a unique person with their own lives, you'd actually be able to sell that illusion a lot better by giving them different voices/personalities/etc via text.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Isn't the mile wide inch deep problem an issue for most open world games?

I'd say Bethesda is at least better about it than say, Rockstar. Big beautiful worlds but pitiful leveling systems, free reign to wander and do whatever but no real inventory to speak of except weapons, crap to collect but no real purpose to it.

I preordered FO76, and it loving sucked for the first year, but here we are, 4 years after release, and it's actually coming along pretty nice. It's not New Vegas or FO4, but it has its own charm now, like trapping people and killing them with flamethrowers. I'll never preorder a game again, but they finally made FO76 at least a decent game.

Now bring back Nuclear Winter, I want to dance in the fire looking for nuclear briefcases again.

Funny you mention Rockstar and particularly that you point out some things that I think are positives. I feel like RDR2 is one of the best examples of a vibrant and alive open world that I have ever seen. Setting aside criticisms of the gameplay and story, the world itself is lovingly crafted and filled with interesting and colorful characters. The world feels more populated than Skyrim because the towns actually have a seemingly realistic population size, and who gives a gently caress that you can't talk to every idiot on the street?

The biggest thing to me that sets it apart is that going off the beaten path and exploring is rewarding because the world itself is interesting, not because you can loot the 57th permutation of bear poo poo cave and fill your inventory with goblets. There's plenty of stuff you can fill your inventory with in RDR2 but it's all useful, and goes toward upgrades/clothing items/camp improvements and isn't simply a stand in for money. Because of course the shopkeeper robot with dead eyes will buy any dumb trash you find lying around, no matter how useless.

I think it's fine that they exist and fill a niche that clearly loads of people enjoy, they're just not really for me at this point. I loved Morrowind and think it's probably still the best of the bunch, and I played and enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I just think Oblivion and Skyrim are far less interesting and every time I've tried to give them a go I get bored like ten hours in.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I find it better than visual novel moviegame bullshit of bioware or the "Look at my diorama!!!" garbage from CDPR.

Don't get me started on Obshitian, haven't made a game worth playing since PoE 1

lmao at Obshitian, good one mate

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
hope phil has ob-'poo poo'-ian make new vegas 2 since he bought them along with bethesda

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Didn’t Obsidian just make Grounded? That game rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I wish mass effects 2 and 3 had gotten the same attention to visual improvements as the first game because much of the texture work has aged poorly and they really look like dogshit when coming from the beautifully remastered 1. But tbh I always like the aesthetic and vibes from the first game far more than the sequels. The side missions in 2 are very cool though and do a great job of fleshing out an interesting setting that Bioware decided should be burned to the ground in the next game.