Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

kw0134 posted:

On the one hand, an attorney owes a duty of care that isn't reduced to a simple "yes sir" relationship with regards to legal advice and conduct. So if Pattis was directed to do this and that during the course of litigation, he has to at least show he tried to and failed to dissuade his client from pursuing this strategy. If the client insists on committing legal suicide then that's his choice to make but you have to make clear that it's, in fact, a terrible idea, so just following Jones' orders isn't proof against malpractice. Zealous representation doesn't mean running off a cliff with them because that's what they wanted.

On the other hand, Jones is such a terrible client and this case stunk of being a loser from the start that the other prong of malpractice -- that another attorney could have done better -- likely won't be met. Another attorney would have thrown up their hands and said "I dunno, you can look under the couch cushions for the judgment I guess???"

There's also the super-likely possibility that Norm petitioned to be removed not because he was opposed to the strategy but because that would have dragged this whole process out another 6 months to a year for "a new lawyer to get up to speed with all this case background and gee wilikers that's gonna take a while guys!!!" since that is something Alex has pulled multiple times in Texas and Connecticut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There are huge reputational risks with petitioning for a withdrawal so unless Pattis was willing to burn his professional credibility with his peers, the local bar, and future clients, I kind of doubt it was done for a trivial reason especially since the court would have no way allowed any further delay for Jones to find another attorney in the meantime. Now this has been such a clownshow I can't put it past him, but given how the cases turned out I can't exactly say I wouldn't have wanted to be the attorney of record when the judgments were announced.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

he has credibility left?

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
Norm has such an unassailable reputation that he can pull down his pants and yell the n-word at a comedy club and it does not damage his reputation a single bit!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
he's an iconoclast

Send_Ninjas
Oct 10, 2006
I just pray his woke Insurance is up to date.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

pixaal posted:

he has credibility left?
Definitely a situation where it would have been better to withdraw and let the world think you were a clown than to have gone to trial and thrown the actual clownshow it ended up being and removing all doubt that you are in fact one.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

let me show you these three cool old books my wife owns

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

thoughts and prayers posted:

If it wouldn't re-traumatize the witnesses in the process, I'd be right there.

But I have a feeling the stress of dealing with that monster has taken, collectively, a few years off of the lives of everyone involved.

Oh well then I guess they'll have to up the compensatory then

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
ALAB Series (very funny legal podcast) went after this before Twitter vs Musk :xd:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ILL Machina posted:

let me show you these three cool old books my wife owns

I mean if I had a wife and if she had 3 cool books, I too would shows those off to people because gently caress yeah cool books. I don’t think that’s the problem.

The problem is not just being a pretentious douche, it’s that he’s actually awful at it. He pretty clearly doesn’t have the intellectual rear end in his pocket to throw his brain-weight around like that.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean if I had a wife and if she had 3 cool books, I too would shows those off to people because gently caress yeah cool books. I don’t think that’s the problem.

The problem is not just being a pretentious douche, it’s that he’s actually awful at it. He pretty clearly doesn’t have the intellectual rear end in his pocket to throw his brain-weight around like that.

Oh yeah I agree. Was just hilarious to find out he shows the same three to everyone while bragging about how much of a counter culture philosopher he is

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Dewgy posted:

File > Print > Save As PDF

You'd think so but here we are

https://twitter.com/VodkaKi1/status/1583910855510327296?s=20&t=3S2toWh440uoSDIElC2BoA

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shumagorath posted:

ALAB Series (very funny legal podcast) went after this before Twitter vs Musk :xd:

Oh, new ALAB? Sweet.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh, new ALAB? Sweet.
They resolved their lawsuit and had the “aggrieved” party on the pod. They’re still weeks between episodes, but it remains my favourite podcast on a fun to total number of episodes metric.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

They resolved their lawsuit and had the “aggrieved” party on the pod. They’re still weeks between episodes, but it remains my favourite podcast on a fun to total number of episodes metric.

I listened to all of the episodes leading up to the coach guestisode because it had been so long, absolute 10/10 decision. I had no idea who coach was since it had been so long since I listened to the original lawyer brain episodes, and the realization hit me like a freight train once the law firm came up

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-21/sandy-hook-families-seek-2-75-trillion-from-alex-jones

quote:

They reached the trillion-dollar sum by multiplying the state law’s up-to $5,000 per-violation fine by the 550 million social media exposures Jones’s audience received on his Facebook, YouTube and Twitter accounts in the three years following a school shooting that claimed the lives of 20 first graders and six educators in 2012.

So...to summarize. This is the (unofficial) punitive damages that were thrown, specifically the maximum amount of damages per VIEW of FFS/Alex Jones/InfoWars that has happened so far. i.e., literally holding Jones accountable for every lie/view that got out. That's $5000 per view, 550 million views...give or take a bit here and there.

I know this isn't going to work the way it should in a just world, but god drat do I want to see it argued out in court, specifically because of the live-stream Jones had during the verdict and damages awarded, and every following broadcast to millions of fans (most likely against legal council, but its Alex Jones and Norm Pattis, so they're both inept enough to somehow ignore this insane possibility for an already insane case).

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
As much as I want for Alex Jones to burn in the middle of the sun, that kind of argumentation in court isn't healthy. It stinks to me like those arguments by IP holders, that anyone illegally uploading a copy of something is personally responsible in damages for the full price of that thing for each copy downloaded.

Do I have an idea for a better system? No. I still think that what's presented here is ridiculous, and another example of judicial systems failing to keep up with what the internet does.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

StoryTime posted:

As much as I want for Alex Jones to burn in the middle of the sun, that kind of argumentation in court isn't healthy. It stinks to me like those arguments by IP holders, that anyone illegally uploading a copy of something is personally responsible in damages for the full price of that thing for each copy downloaded.

Do I have an idea for a better system? No. I still think that what's presented here is ridiculous, and another example of judicial systems failing to keep up with what the internet does.

It was a default judgement because of failure to render discovery (i.e. let anyone look at the company at all). It went through Anti-SLAAP laws and a special appeal to a higher court.

You can un-clutch your pearls. The only precedent this sets is "don't gently caress with the god drat courts". Even if we enjoy it morally. It's literally the best possibly outcome.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

It was a default judgement because of failure to render discovery (i.e. let anyone look at the company at all). It went through Anti-SLAAP laws and a special appeal to a higher court.

You can un-clutch your pearls. The only precedent this sets is "don't gently caress with the god drat courts". Even if we enjoy it morally. It's literally the best possibly outcome.

You're right of course. My comment was more of the general abstract kind, not really attached to this particular case outside of the method of argumentation used.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They didn't even ask for that number, it's just the absurd hypothetical statutory maximum.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Faust IX posted:

[url]
I know this isn't going to work the way it should in a just world, but god drat do I want to see it argued out in court, specifically because of the live-stream Jones had during the verdict and damages awarded, and every following broadcast to millions of fans (most likely against legal council, but its Alex Jones and Norm Pattis, so they're both inept enough to somehow ignore this insane possibility for an already insane case).

After the initial reaction Alex has fled, he's been 'on holiday' for the past couple of weeks.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

After the initial reaction Alex has fled, he's been 'on holiday' for the past couple of weeks.

Lol, I wonder if the fucker is already in Russia.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

StoryTime posted:

As long as his money stays behind.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
More deposition audio for today's Knowledge Fight (742)

:sickos:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

StoryTime posted:

He's probably in California again begging Peter Thiel for money or trying to meet with Elon to get his Twitter account back.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

We should start a pool for "Where in the World is Alex Jones?" The lowest payouts would be Russia and at home in a post-chili coma.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Morter posted:

More deposition audio for today's Knowledge Fight (742)

:sickos:

God I love Formulaic Objections episodes. Wife has demanded that I use headphones because she can't handle hours of me listening to legal proceedings like this. She probably has the more healthy reaction between the two of us but I just can't stop enjoying listening to Alex unloading shotgun shell after shotgun shell right straight in to his foot.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If Bolsonaro had won I might have put a cheeky bet on Brazil. But now I'm thinking Hungary.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Hearing anyone strip down AJ in front of a crowd that is *not* his chosen audience is always god tier entertainments.

He keeps thinking that, much like on his show, he can just yeet past the thing he just said that is patently untrue, and the plaintiffs slaps him down every time.

“The judge is best buds with one of your partners!” “Oh yeah? Who?” “Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don’t recall”

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 31, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

We should start a pool for "Where in the World is Alex Jones?" The lowest payouts would be Russia and at home in a post-chili coma.

Where does "Ate enough memory-wiping chili that he became a blank slate and had a new personality and history implanted. He now lives in Ohio under the name of Mark Fedderburg, who had been in a coma for the past 30 years, and only emerged recently to discover his family had passed away, but had left him a generous inheritance where he now lives peacefully raising chickens and helping out at local homeless shelters" fall on the payouts? And do I need to have the new alias or resident state right, or does just having the general gist count? I would hate to lose if he lived in Nebraska and I got everything else right.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

StoryTime posted:

The lawyers in both cases are simply applying the statutory law most favorable to their clients. If you would like to not see that sort of thing in court, then you want statutory reform, because this isn't some super fiddly legal shenanigans; the explicit text of something like 17 USC ­§501 et seq. states what's an infringement, and the penalty for it. X times Y is Z. That's it. Maybe you don't feel that's how the law ought be applied, but you're gonna have to argue against the text of the law as written, which really means you want to wholly rewrite the applicable sections.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That escalating "Alex, when did you last talk to Dan Bidondi" had me going aloud 'Noooooooh!?!'

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"Did you ever tell anyone you have a photographic memory?"

"As hyperbole maybe but I have a really good memory. If I want to commit something to memory I will remember it."

"But you don't remember telling anyone on Joe Rogan's show that you have a photographic memory?"

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
On Alex-watch talk he was in studio for a pre taped show that went out on Saturday with a short rant and some guest interviews including Roger. Haven’t looked at Sunday or today’s stuff.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

BigglesSWE posted:

Hearing anyone strip down AJ in front of a crowd that is *not* his chosen audience is always god tier entertainments.

He keeps thinking that, much like on his show, he can just yeet past the thing he just said that is patently untrue, and the plaintiffs slaps him down every time.

“The judge is best buds with one of your partners!” “Oh yeah? Who?” “Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don’t recall”

OBJECTION

"Your client made a claim that the presiding judge and a partner at my firm are in collision and you're objecting to how I said Oh."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

I just can't stop enjoying listening to Alex unloading shotgun shell after shotgun shell right straight in to his foot.

Higher up and closer to the center line.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I prefer "pounding his dick with a ballpeen hammer"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Always a weird time when Roger shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Always a weird time when Roger shows up.

He was really excited to get into the conspiracy nonsense about Paul Pelosi