Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

Yes but have you considered that country is majority Muslim? They're going to Shakira our laws.

I fully support putting Shakira in charge of our laws. Her hips are completely trustworthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Rarity posted:

I fully support putting Shakira in charge of our laws. Her hips are completely trustworthy

But presumably not our tax laws?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Albion is the original home of all Albanians. The lost tribe is finally returning to home!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ugh... The front page of my mum's poison rag:

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1587010428005220353

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

we can’t upset turkey anymore because of the whole ukraine war/ nato dynamic , so we’ll go for the next best thing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Alex Salmond's Alabania Party at it again.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

SMH missing a forest for the trees, the Tories, many of whom may be criminals, are running the country!!!

Whatever can we do to rid us of this vile menace?

e:
VVV

And the Tories are big alleged fans of coke. Makes you think doesn't it, Tories secret Albanians?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 31, 2022

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I remember watching a thing about how albanians run the coke trade in london. This guy does videos on gangs/drill music he doesn't seem to have any political/scaremongering intent. That being said I don't know how true it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_0A1Gz4yjk

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

fuctifino posted:

my mum's poison rag

I'll get me coat

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/declassifiedUK/status/1587007339764371458

:toot:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Redistributive policies look like a vote winner. Someone should tell Keith.

2021/22 Scottish Social Attitudes Survey

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

fuctifino posted:

Not as though many people need any more reasons to dislike Keith, but....

https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1587015349072953345

:(

This is far worse than the same thing coming from Tories by the way. If the Tories come out with this poo poo then there is still room for the left to offer an alternative, but if you let Starmer in on this kinda platform, then good job, now you have to get Starmer out, get the Tories that follow out after that, and then there may be another chance, to start again from a more disadvantageous position. After vindicating Starmer with an election win there probably won't be another chance for a generation though.

"Harm reduction" is incredibly loving stupid. Well, sometimes it's just an emotional thing I guess, after all we will see people doing the whole "if it saves 1 life it's worth it!" hostage-taking, which isn't really based on thought.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Rarity posted:

I thought we'd all learned the lesson that debating abhorrent ideas just legitimises them in the eyes of the public but I guess not so back on the hamster wheel we go

What’s the basis for that theory? Can you show a growth with some metric of fash tendencies, and label the point where a downward trend took off once that theory became popular?

Because I think that exercise would fail at the step where you locate the downward trend.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

radmonger posted:

What’s the basis for that theory? Can you show a growth with some metric of fash tendencies, and label the point where a downward trend took off once that theory became popular?

Because I think that exercise would fail at the step where you locate the downward trend.

If debate stopped loving stupid ideas from growing then liberalism would've been strangled at birth. And yet here it is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

I remember watching a thing about how albanians run the coke trade in london. This guy does videos on gangs/drill music he doesn't seem to have any political/scaremongering intent. That being said I don't know how true it is.
Similarly in rumours with strong kernels of truth, the Home Office could easily pack the whole thing in over a couple of years.

How the US Stopped a Possible Solution to the Heroin Epidemic posted:

The British System completely prevented the growth of the gangster-led black market that drove the spread of addiction in the US. One widespread rumor was that, in 1963, several New York mafia crime families came to London and met at the Hilton Hotel to discuss whether they should develop a drugs syndicate in the UK. They ended up deciding there was no point. Why bother when British doctors were already supplying the drugs?

Of course then they wouldn't be able to keep stirring up fears of County Lines and West Bromwich Albanians, so the last thing they want is a solution.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

radmonger posted:

Germany 1921-33.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Albanians gonna come over here, enforce the Kanuni of Leke Dukagjini, make you eat beans and turn your granny into your grandpa.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I know I shouldn't seek sense where there is only racism, but it's bizarre to me that "economic migrants" has become the favoured term to mean "the bad ones". Both times I've moved country for work the countries in question were so desperate for economic migrants that I got tax breaks just for being a foreigner, although I'm still waiting on my free mansion and flat screen TV.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

radmonger posted:

? Think you might be misunderstanding the point here:

If a stupid opinion is treated as just as valid as any other opinion in the field of DEBATE, then it gains supporters in the general populace.

It's why allowing people like Garage a platform led to us leaving the EU: the more you discuss an idea instead of dismissing it as dangerously stupid, the more people latch onto it.

It's why flat earthers and anti vaxxers have had such a field day in the modern world. Its not like sensible-brains who see a flat earther on TV will say, due to their poor debate performance I'm convinced, the earth is not flat. But a thicko will see it being debated, and will start "just asking questions", thus providing legitimacy to the stupid concept & allowing its spread.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

radmonger posted:

Have you just not been paying attention to the last 10 years?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

If debate stopped loving stupid ideas from growing then liberalism would've been strangled at birth. And yet here it is.

TBF, liberalism was much more sensible (to the people who were actually allowed to have an opinion) than its original alternative of feudalism. Unfortunately, that gave it a difficult-to-dislodge entrenchment against later, better ideas, especially since it served as a justification of existing power structures.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Albanians are all over the coke trade in Bristol as well, it's a very open secret here

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mourning Due posted:

It's why flat earthers and anti vaxxers have had such a field day in the modern world. Its not like sensible-brains who see a flat earther on TV will say, due to their poor debate performance I'm convinced, the earth is not flat. But a thicko will see it being debated, and will start "just asking questions", thus providing legitimacy to the stupid concept & allowing its spread.
See also the evolution/creation debates, where there are some big holes in different models of evolutionary theory, but the other side was just pushing uncertainty as cover for theocracy. It's not like you even need creation for theocracy, it's the uncertainty and disinformation that benefits them.

big scary monsters posted:

I know I shouldn't seek sense where there is only racism, but it's bizarre to me that "economic migrants" has become the favoured term to mean "the bad ones". Both times I've moved country for work the countries in question were so desperate for economic migrants that I got tax breaks just for being a foreigner, although I'm still waiting on my free mansion and flat screen TV.
If the economy has been nothing but poo poo for you for the past 12/20/40 years and you're being told that migrants are getting hotels and cars then it stands to reason that economic migrants must be the ones getting all the economy.

If we actually invested in things and the economy was good then 'economic' might sound like a good thing again, rather than something miserable and immiserating.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Saw this on The Guardian liveblog

"One person who seems to agree with Elphicke is Kevin Saunders, a former chief immigration officer for the UK Border Force. He told the Today programme this morning that he favoured addressing the problem by putting asylum seekers on a cruise ship in international waters in the Channel and processing their applications there."

The largest cruise ship in the world, Wonder of the Seas, has a maximum passenger figure of under 7,000. I'm not sure this will solve the problem.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The irony of responding to a radmonger post with an explanation of why it's pointless or harmful to debate stupid ideas

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

radmonger posted:

What's the opposite of terminally online? Have you heard of Ben Shapiro? Andrew Tate? Jordan Peterson? What about Donald Trump?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tarnop posted:

The irony of responding to a radmonger post with an explanation of why it's pointless or harmful to debate stupid ideas

I don't know if anyone is debating him. He's just being told that he's completely wrong, repeatedly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What's the opposite of terminally online? Have you heard of Ben Shapiro? Andrew Tate? Jordan Peterson? What about Donald Trump?

He's a sincere neoliberal. Doing more than insulting radmonger for being a dipshit with a poisonous ideology is wasting your time. Your time is more valuable than this

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1587049046639771650
https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1587054452204257283
:allears:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

If the economy has been nothing but poo poo for you for the past 12/20/40 years and you're being told that migrants are getting hotels and cars then it stands to reason that economic migrants must be the ones getting all the economy.

If we actually invested in things and the economy was good then 'economic' might sound like a good thing again, rather than something miserable and immiserating.

Yeah fair point. Of course the vast majority of migrants to the UK, even from the scary countries, aren't getting anything for free, but if we wanted to concern ourselves with reality then we wouldn't be reading Peston.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

fuctifino posted:

Not as though many people need any more reasons to dislike Keith, but....

https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1587015349072953345

:(

They manage to get the flood of terf questions in the thread down to two questions in about five minutes (they need to pretend that the discussion on their website is varied and diverse I guess). One is about "single-sex spaces" where the questioner insists that they are not transphobic but trans women should not be allowed to pee in the ladies toilet, to which Starmer gives the usual waffle about oh well uhh he's sure with an open discussion they can find a way to satisfy everyone's reasonable concerns. The other one is about Think Of The Children, and this bit stood out to me:

quote:

"You know what I'm talking about when I talk about the Cass review?"
"I do, and I feel very strongly about, that children shouldn't be making these very important decisions without consent of their parents. I say that as a matter of principle, I say that as a parent - we all know what it's like, you know, with teenage children, and I feel very strongly about this, that you know, this argument that children make decisions without consent of the parents is one I just don't agree with at all."

those crazy teenagers, listening to their music and getting crazy ideas like "i am capable of recognising my own gender identity". surely bigshot lawyer kier knows the massive issues with undermining Gillick competence but apparently not? gently caress off

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Apparently Suella Braverman is going to actually turn up for parliament today after dodging UQs aimed at her twice last week.

Also I just discovered she was named after Sue Ellen from Dallas and I feel like I needed to burden someone else with that useless information so there you go

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

So that's what she's currently admitting... Wonder how much more there is to come out?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

those crazy teenagers, listening to their music and getting crazy ideas like "i am capable of recognising my own gender identity". surely bigshot lawyer kier knows the massive issues with undermining Gillick competence but apparently not? gently caress off
What if we had some kinds of professions that could help teenagers decide whether a decision was good or not without "consent of the parents"?

Not just like medicalization (and all the possible attendant risks of gatekeeping), but teachers, social workers, therapists, confidential support? What about the legal system Keith?

Or are we just going back to MAGA/theocratic fascist ideas of parents owning their kids?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Another way of saying "crazy teenagers" is "future voters".

Are you aware of which direction time goes in, Keith.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Down towards the bottom of the bottle?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Angepain posted:

The other one is about Think Of The Children, and this bit stood out to me:

Ah yes the party of LGBTQ rights openly fluffing up policies like outing kids to their parents

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

They wanted some of that Petrobras

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
It's very funny that Sunak got a blank slate and might already be getting forced into two U-turns (firing braverman and going to COP 27)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Given how the Tories operate this must be getting out ahead of a story about her accidentally emailing nuclear codes to the Kremlin.