Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It honestly surprises me how much the UK is supporting Ukraine, given how thoroughly corrupt and rife with Russian money the Tories are.

On the one hand yes it is surprising, on the other, these people have absolutely no shame in pretending to be best friends with the guy at the bar buying drinks, but as soon as the wallet runs dry they will turn their backs and go back to their own private cliques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Probably shouldn't have murdered people with nerve agents on british soil.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

UK:

1. Has a political culture of liking “conviction politics”. Often this is bad! (cf. Thatcher, Margaret; Blair, Anthony; Truss, Elizabeth). But occasionally it is not.

2. Has a popular cultural belief that fighting and winning is good and a legitimate way to get what you want. Again, often bad (gestures wildly at the large parts of the planet that got colonised violently off the back of this belief).

3. Has been aligned against Russia for a looong time.

4. Has in recent memory has Russians use chemical weapons in an assassination on its soil, killing its citizens as collateral damage.

5. Has local elites who resent wealthy Russians owning high end property in London.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah exactly^

Worth noting that on a natsec level Russia never stopped being an adversary even if things ostensibly warmed outwardly a little bit in the late 2000s and early 2010s. I'd also add that the last decade of Russian medling via influence efforts and troll farms and everything else has caused a lot of problems and pretty much no one who has to deal with it is happy about it. Russia has planted the seeds of an incredible amount of ill-will in much of Europe.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardGowan1/status/1586727761024000000?s=20&t=NZ6WrkfxXY11pBrKrHGQgA

Some good observations and further links on the grain deal cancellation.
What is the harvest season for the types of grains Ukraine exports? And how much is still stockpiled? I have to imagine they were maxing out every ship while the deal was in place, knowing that a temperamental Putin could end it at any time.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Winter wheat is the most common (95% in normal times), and that's harvested in July/Augustus normally. Here's an article from late july about harvested grains piling up in Ukraine: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/28/business/ukraine-grain-harvest-piles.html

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Samopsa posted:

Winter wheat is the most common (95% in normal times), and that's harvested in July/Augustus normally. Here's an article from late july about harvested grains piling up in Ukraine: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/28/business/ukraine-grain-harvest-piles.html

Why is it called Winter Wheat if it is harvested in the summer?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why is it called Winter Wheat if it is harvested in the summer?

It's planted in autumn and then harvested in spring/early summer.

As opposed to being planted in spring and harvested in autumn.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1586996489150152704

Ukraine is getting close to a 90% intercept rate for these missile strikes. As more anti-air arrives and low stocks cause the strikes to shrink it looks like they could reach 100%.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chalks posted:

Ukraine is getting close to a 90% intercept rate for these missile strikes. As more anti-air arrives and low stocks cause the strikes to shrink it looks like they could reach 100%.

How many cruise missiles can Russia have left?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It honestly surprises me how much the UK is supporting Ukraine, given how thoroughly corrupt and rife with Russian money the Tories are.
Don't underestimate how much the success of WW1,WW2 and the Falklands have become foundations of our national identity combined with a need to pretend our post-empire significance hasn't declined. War lets us be all jingoistic while ignoring the complete mismanagement of our country.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's not like either their pre-war stocks or current production capacity are public knowledge, so your guess is as good as anyone's.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chalks posted:

Infrastructure still suffers a lot of damage from drones and missiles of other types, and in Kyiv oblast' things are pretty dire right now. Just downing cruise missiles is not sustainable, Ukraine needs help with the rest of it, too.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Estimates I've read - many posted in this thread - say Russia still has thousands of long range missiles. They haven't run out, though they've likely already used the majority of their stockpiles - especially of the more advanced missiles.

Personally I don't expect them to let up. They'll push until the cupboard is bare; I believe it is just the psychology of Putin and his fellow travelers that they believe they have a stronger will, and that their willingness to throw away their entire military if necessary will carry them through this conflict with the decadent West.

It's not like any of them actually believe NATO is a threat to them, or to Russia; it's far more important to secure a win in the short term.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 31, 2022

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
What would it take to stop the cruise missiles from being launched to begin with? Just how far away are these strategic bombers firing them?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
I don't know the specifics or how much is launched from where but a lot of reports I read mentioned that some cruise missiles are being launched from the Caspian sea

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Russias more advanced air launched cruise missiles have thousand km+ range

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Estimates I've read - many posted in this thread - say Russia still has thousands of long range missiles. They haven't run out, though they've likely already used the majority of their stockpiles - especially of the more advanced missiles.

Personally I don't expect them to let up. They'll push until the cupboard is bare; I believe it is just the psychology of Putin and his fellow travelers that they believe they have a stronger will, and that their willingness to throw away their entire military if necessary will carry them through this conflict with the decadent West.

It's not like any of them actually believe NATO is a threat to them, or to Russia; it's far more important to secure a win in the short term.

They can't really afford to to spend them that recklessly, because 1) with sanctions in place they are barely replacable; 2) there always needs to be a reserve for a clancychat scenario - it is not total war so Russia can't commit everything it has to this and leave its reserve units bare.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

2) there always needs to be a reserve for a clancychat scenario - it is not total war so Russia can't commit everything it has to this and leave its reserve units bare.

Russia really doesn't have a reserve for a clancy scenario. Kaliningrad is empty, the elite formations tasked with defending Moscow have been destroyed. Russia is all in on Ukraine.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think it also needs to be understood how terrifying damage control is on a ship. Water floods spaces and reduces stability by both free surfaces or worse free communication effects. Firefighting is done with thinking like Halon or inerting gases like CO2. Or with water which again causes stability issues. Holes under the water line are at pressures that vary by depth. And if you list too far and the sea chests aren’t submerged anymore everything just stops working in the plant.

And if you are moving at all, the forward momentum of the vessel forces more water in through any hole at even higher pressure.

For example, USS Cole was barely saved from sinking and she was stationary. That video of the drone hitting Makarov showed that Makarov was not parked at a berth, but was making way…

Now granted there are a lot of variables at play here, but this is just another reason I wouldn’t be surprised if Makarov actually foundered.

Incidentally you are totally right about all of this, and firefighting on ships with water can cause serious stability issues. I would wager the firefighting efforts by the fleet tugs is part of what ultimately caused Moskva to sink; however, the terribleness of what I assume was the Russian Navy’s initial DC on Moskva aside, a ship on fire is worse than a ship filling with water…

So it can be a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation when it comes to using water to fight fires on ships sometimes… unless you’re in a submarine, then whatever you do… don’t use water.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fatherboxx posted:

They can't really afford to to spend them that recklessly, because 1) with sanctions in place they are barely replacable; 2) there always needs to be a reserve for a clancychat scenario - it is not total war so Russia can't commit everything it has to this and leave its reserve units bare.

This would be what a rational Russian government would be thinking if it were making plans based on objective reality yes

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Moskva was sunk a while ago and Ukraine has received more anti-ship missiles reportedly. Russian navy has kept its distance from Ukrainian shores recently. What are the options for Putin to hinder the grain shipments at this point?

I mean sure, they can create a blockade with subs or whatever and sink any merchant vessel that enters UA waters but that would be very blatant and agressive. There is really no good way to have an "accidental hit" on a merchant vessel at this point - there is no naval warfare going on anywhere near the port.

Considering Putin has tried to push outside the West that he is the reasonable one - he cannot just overtly start sinking merchants.. right? Same with starting to bomb grain terminals..

Sorry if I missed it if this was discussed already.. perhaps someone could point me back to it

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 31, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fatherboxx posted:

Kh-101 and Kh-55 are 1980's communist technology, IMHO there's no reason to think that Russia can't make them domestically today. Kalibr is mid-1990's tech, I wouldn't be surprised if the original versions could still be made with available components but the latter improvements in guidance systems very well might require sanctioned components.

Finally the reserve for clancynario is ICBM's. Obviously if there was a sudden islamist insurgency in Chechnya or such then there'd be very little that could be done, but it's not like cruise missiles would do much in such scenario anyway.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Charlz Guybon posted:

They are placing a bet that the answer is “more than Ukraine has AA missiles” or close enough to it to supply-degrade Ukrainian AA. My theory is that this is, on top of a bit of the ol’ war-crimes to try and break morale, an automated version of “I sent wave after wave of my own men, until they reached their preset kill limit.”

Which also means they won’t be impressed or deterred by Ukrainian shoot-down rates.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

SirTagz posted:

Considering Putin has tried to push outside the West that he is the reasonable one - he cannot just overtly start sinking merchants.. right? Same with starting to bomb grain terminals..
Nothing is beyond reason if you can blame it on the USA the UK Ukraine Homonazis Satanists someone else

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SirTagz posted:

...They already bombed grain terminals.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Akratic Method posted:

They are placing a bet that the answer is “more than Ukraine has AA missiles” or close enough to it to supply-degrade Ukrainian AA. My theory is that this is, on top of a bit of the ol’ war-crimes to try and break morale, an automated version of “I sent wave after wave of my own men, until they reached their preset kill limit.”

Which also means they won’t be impressed or deterred by Ukrainian shoot-down rates.

er cruise missiles are way more expensive than AA missiles even before the crippling sanctions.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Kh-101 and Kh-55 are 1980's communist technology, IMHO there's no reason to think that Russia can't make them domestically today. Kalibr is mid-1990's tech, I wouldn't be surprised if the original versions could still be made with available components but the latter improvements in guidance systems very well might require sanctioned components.

IIRC, this discussion has come up before and the answer I found is that any old ballistic they dig up wouldn't have the same range, like you said, but would have to be fired either in a border area, occupied Ukraine like DPR/LPR or Crimea, or inside Ukraine itself, all of which sound like a great way to lose an expensive launcher.

Also, they gave or sold a bunch of their older ballistic missiles to Syria, Yemen, and the DPR/LPR, so that's lessened their stocks as well.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Young Freud posted:

IIRC, this discussion has come up before and the answer I found is that any old ballistic they dig up wouldn't have the same range, like you said, but would have to be fired either in a border area, occupied Ukraine like DPR/LPR or Crimea, or inside Ukraine itself, all of which sound like a great way to lose an expensive launcher.

Also, they gave or sold a bunch of their older ballistic missiles to Syria, Yemen, and the DPR/LPR, so that's lessened their stocks as well.

Why would they not have the same range? Degradation? The original model of the Kh-55 that entered service in 1983 has a listed maximum range of 2500km

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Tomn posted:

Note that this isn't a universal truth across all time. Instituional knowledge and memory is a thing and it can be lost if there isn't a lot of work put into maintaining it - the USN is only going to be good at damage control as long as it continues putting in the work to try and keep it that way (which the Forrestal fire worked to kick asses and convince leadership to take damage control seriously again). Relevantly to the current situation, the Red Army was an incredibly sophisticated and formidable institution by the end of World War 2 so it's not like Russians are always and have always been incompetent at war - the issue was that there wasn't enough effort put into maintaining and updating their institutional knowledge. They've forgotten a lot of what they once knew, and some of what they once knew is starting to get obsolete anyways.

Different topic, but this reminded me or something I've been wondering: is there a good write-up about Russian military doctrine out there that's accessible to a non-expert audience? I'd especially be interested in one that included comparisons with other major militaries.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheRat posted:

Why would they not have the same range? Degradation? The original model of the Kh-55 that entered service in 1983 has a listed maximum range of 2500km

I used ballistic missiles because apparently only 13% of Iskander stocks are left while their Kh-101s and Kh-55s cruise missiles are down to 45% at the beginning of October (according to Ukraine's Intelligence Chief)

That means they're going to go to older stocks.

Also, remember that the cruise missiles are dual-purpose, they're capable of conventional and nuclear attacks. Using those cruise missiles harm's Russia's nuclear deterrence capabilities.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

fatherboxx posted:

Russia has already effectively denuded their western border. There is almost nothing defending the border for 1500km from Norway to Belarus. They have already made the choice to spend everything and trust that nukes alone will defend them in a "clancychat scenario".

They are going to shoot their very last cruise missile while spouting vague threats about how they are going to wipe out all Ukrainian infrastructure forever, and only after they are literally dry will they start thinking about what to do next.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Young Freud posted:

Also, remember that the cruise missiles are dual-purpose, they're capable of conventional and nuclear attacks. Using those cruise missiles harm's Russia's nuclear deterrence capabilities.

This is patently absurd. Russia’s nuclear deterrence capabilities are not diminished by firing cruise missiles. The SSBNs and ICBMs do just fine on their own as a deterrent.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

There may be some extra AA coming soon: A recent scandal that started when Switzerland suddenly blocked Germany from sending anti-air ammunition we stupidly had bought from them got real spicy when Germany changed its tune to outright threaten the Swiss to never buy military goods from their MIC ever again if they don't stop blocking the shipments.

If the Swiss give in, that's tons of poo poo suddenly released from legal red tape for delivering to Ukraine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Libluini posted:

There may be some extra AA coming soon: A recent scandal that started when Switzerland suddenly blocked Germany from sending anti-air ammunition we stupidly had bought from them got real spicy when Germany changed its tune to outright threaten the Swiss to never buy military goods from their MIC ever again if they don't stop blocking the shipments.

If the Swiss give in, that's tons of poo poo suddenly released from legal red tape for delivering to Ukraine.

Huh funny that, what would happen if all the EU countries would do the same to Germany?

Release the Leopards is what I'm saying.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The UK specifically has a lot of national pride tied up in the Blitz era and Zelenskyy acting out the "We will fight them on the beaches" speech for real by refusing to leave Kyiv won him a lot of support, especially from politicians.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

surf rock posted:

Different topic, but this reminded me or something I've been wondering: is there a good write-up about Russian military doctrine out there that's accessible to a non-expert audience? I'd especially be interested in one that included comparisons with other major militaries.

I am 100% not an expert, and in fact was funnily led to this document by a cspammer of which I'll say no more lest I get probed for posting about posters, but this document here goes into some depth about Russian military doctrine as of 2017. Being a full-rear end book written for military experts that's probably not quite the accessible document you're looking for, but while searching for this specific document I also ran across this thing here from the RAND Corporation which certainly seems to offer exactly what you're looking for, even with a bunch of summarized key findings. No idea how accurate it is or not, and I've not even read both documents in full yet (the cspammer was mostly posting up individual pages off the first book and I only just found the second one by Googling), but it should probably work as a starting point for understanding, I'd guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Good morning friends

Another Monday another Putin missile tantrum - thread about the strikes with video of missiles flying, people in shelters/receiving alerts, smoke in the aftermath of hits. Nothing graphic that I saw. start of thread:
https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1586962267425443840?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
End:
https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1587000596850262017?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw

Luckily air defense in Ukraine was working
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1587029421726343168?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
One apparently was targeted close enough to the Moldovan border that fragments fell on Moldova after Ukrainian air defense took out the missile :stare:
https://twitter.com/IKoshiw/status/1587024470740451329?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1587067920240238603?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
They also hit the hydroplant part of the Dnipro dam again
https://twitter.com/revishvilig/status/1586979566622580736?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
Kyiv seems to have been hit the worst - lost power and water to a large part of the city
https://twitter.com/Ukrainestate/status/1587015838464458752?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
https://twitter.com/fabrice_deprez/status/1587055189348990977?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
Mykolaiv was less hard hit :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1587051643840987136?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
Russian bloggers waking up to the inefficiency of this approach
https://twitter.com/HeliosRunner/status/1587035065829261312?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
And a dark :lol: - one of the missiles changed it's mind about hitting Ukraine
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1586981731701334017?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
Some military stuff:

Ukrainian degradation of Russian artillery via targeted strikes seems to be working
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1587032795519623169?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
Thread on what Russia's lack of an NCO corps could mean for winter operations - selections below, threadreader https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1586863830331703296.html
https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1586863830331703296?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1586863842528825344?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1586863859209584640?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1586863863907205121?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1586863868344778754?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
Gonna be keeping an eye on news about this convoy all day - note that Russia pulled out of the agreement and thus has no right to inspect these ships
https://twitter.com/OlKubrakov/status/1586991698944614401?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw
https://twitter.com/vcdgf555/status/1587059577325244416?s=20&t=kKVwFTggOuA4ATWyi0upOw

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Akratic Method posted:

And of course this won't work because Russia can't out-manufacture NATO.

But yeah it'll keep going until Russia is just plain defeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/biden-lost-temper-zelenskyy-phone-call-ukraine-aid-rcna54592

I would have thought that any more forward progress for this year would be pure bonus politically speaking but it seems there's some push back. Also interesting to consider is if there's any blowback from winning too hard too fast and reducing will to send aid because of the you're already doing fine effect.