Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
When it comes to limited that big green/white beater is going to be a weird card because there are a lot of big creatures that have been revealed so far, but most of them are high mana cost creatures that you cheat into play with the powerstone mechanic. I'm sure dropping an 8/8 on turn 4 will win some games, but we'll see how good it is. Honestly, I think the white version that buffs your other creatures might be something that people are sleeping on because the versatility of the card is probably its greatest advantage.

Also, the black exile removal common is insane. I have no idea how people aren't going nuts over that card, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, I noticed the black exile removal and i think i mentally just edited it into rare.

A 5 mana exile anything is pretty meh, a 4 mana exile anything is decent, 3 and below is extremely good at the moment. Getting it down to potentially 1 is hilarious.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Can someone confirm something for me? Etching of Kumano exiles things if they would die, but Guardian of Benalia gives indestructible, which means it won't die. Before I do a dumb and discard to get around Etching, if someone with an Etching bolts or will do combat damage to my Guardian and I make it indestructible, does it get exiled or does not stick around since it's indestructible?

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 31, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

Can someone confirm something for me? Etching of Kumano exiles things if they would die, but Guardian of Benalia gives indestructible, which means it won't die. Before I do a dumb and discard to get around Etching, if someone with an Etching bolts or will do combat damage to my Guardian and I make it indestructible, does it get exiled or does not stick around since it's indestructible?

Indestructible replaces being destroyed with not being destroyed. Etching can’t replace the destroyed effect with exile because it was never destroyed.

Edit: here’s a more detailed explanation, indestructible skips checking for lethal damage: https://boardgames.stackexchange.com/questions/29994/does-reduce-to-ashes-kill-indestructible-creatures

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 31, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Want to give a shoutout to Arena user "manchild3264" playing Darigaaz, Shivan Champion with the Timmy sleeves and avatar. I love it when people know who they are and lean into it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so what i'm getting from BROS WAR spoilers is that many, many games of Limited are going to end as soon as someone gets to 9 or 10 mana

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao Black is getting Go For the Throat and a 1 mana Exile spell

lmao at Standard forever

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Indestructible replaces being destroyed with not being destroyed. Etching can’t replace the destroyed effect with exile because it was never destroyed.

Edit: here’s a more detailed explanation, indestructible skips checking for lethal damage: https://boardgames.stackexchange.com/questions/29994/does-reduce-to-ashes-kill-indestructible-creatures

TY

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I know what my first new hbrawl deck will be when BRO drops

https://twitter.com/col_amazonian/status/1586434549877452803?s=46&t=qr9K83CQohTPs4OGNZND-g

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 31, 2022

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

just looked at some bro spoilers and black is getting some insane cards.............

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

40 lbs to freedom posted:

just looked at some bro spoilers and black is getting some insane cards.............

Everything in this set looks completely insane. The more spoilers I see the more I'm thinking they really wanted this set to hit hard for M30 and because it's supposed to be a really pivotal moment lore wise for Magic. The mystical archives-but-for-artifacts cards are going to be completely off the wall in terms of power level so limited will be a real trip. I thought Kamigawa was going to be the giant robots set, but those were nothing compared to Brothers' War.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

precision posted:

lmao Black is getting Go For the Throat and a 1 mana Exile spell

lmao at Standard forever

again, black being really good in standard for the next two sets seems pretty on theme. Imho let everyone who plays standard be miserable so it's like phyrexia really did win

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

dont forget demonic tutor

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kalel posted:

again, black being really good in standard for the next two sets seems pretty on theme. Imho let everyone who plays standard be miserable so it's like phyrexia really did win

is the set after this gonna be "The Dark, Again"? i bet that's where this is going.

hopefuly we get a whole set based on Phyrexia, since Phyrexia is All Colors now

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:lol: they Davrieled so hard they had 3 cards left in library.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hell yeah ashnod is a 1-drop commander for brawl

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

precision posted:

is the set after this gonna be "The Dark, Again"? i bet that's where this is going.

The next set is 'phyrexia - all will be one'

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Looking at the spoilers so far and idc about any of these rares or mythics!!!! Show me the commons goddamit

Kurash
May 12, 2008

With a handful of hours to go, I've made mythic for the first time! Obviously done in the most toxic way possible, Historic BO1 with maindeck Grafdigger's Cage. Cage being strong against Arcanist, stopping Company and randomly hitting a bunch of other effects like Muxus and Unburial Rites is incredible.

Here's the list I was using:

Companion
1 Jegantha, the Wellspring (IKO) 222

Deck
4 Thought Monitor (MH2) 71
1 Gingerbrute (ELD) 219
4 Esper Sentinel (MH2) 12
4 Ornithopter (KLR) 255
4 Ingenious Smith (AFR) 21

1 Patriar's Humiliation (HBG) 25
2 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
3 Grafdigger's Cage (M20) 227
1 Shadowspear (THB) 236
1 Moonsnare Prototype (NEO) 69
3 Nettlecyst (MH2) 231
3 Metallic Rebuke (KLR) 56
1 Of One Mind (IKO) 60
4 Portable Hole (AFR) 33
2 Michiko's Reign of Truth (NEO) 29

4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Blinkmoth Nexus (2XM) 311
4 Darksteel Citadel (M15) 242
4 Spire of Industry (KLR) 285
4 Treasure Vault (AFR) 261
2 Adarkar Wastes (DMU) 243
3 Razortide Bridge (MH2) 252

Sideboard
1 Jegantha, the Wellspring (IKO) 222

Most noticeably, I'm not bothering with Retrofitter Foundry - the payoff can be nice but it was dead more times than I would like. The list is pretty removal heavy but that's usually fine when Arcanist is the most popular deck. Otherwise, the deck has an incredible amount of play and I'm very happy with the numbers on everything. I would wager that Elves is usually my worst matchup and Elvish Archdruid / Circle of Dreams Druid is the reason I'm playing Glass Casket at all. Even without company, them killing you with Elvish Warmaster, Allosaurus Shepherd or even just straight up Craterhoof is relatively common. Aside from that, I didn't feel terribly weak against anything else and very strong if my draw lined up well against what they were doing.

Kurash fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 31, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

precision posted:

They've announced the standard sets for 2023, it's going to be:

Phyrexia: All Will Be One
March of the Machine
March of the Machine: Aftermath (probably not a full set, no idea what it actually is yet-- might not even be a standard set)
Wilds of Eldraine
The Lost Caverns of Ixalan

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh hell yeah.

I was probably at my most impressionable during the Tempest block so I've always liked Phyrexia lore, Eldraine was a very good draft set, and I missed Ixalan the first time around but thematically it makes me the happiest.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I really hope they add some new cool dinos on the upcoming Ixalan for my stupid dino deck

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Simone Poodoin posted:

I really hope they add some new cool dinos on the upcoming Ixalan for my stupid dino deck

if the next Ixalan set isn't just 100% pirates and dinos, then i don't know what we're even doing here

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Returning to eldraine and ixlan seems really fast, but the flavor and gameplay of both sets was great, so I'm on board with this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eldraine was late 2019, and the return is in mid to late 2023, that doesn't seem too fast to me considering they've only ever been there once before and it was an incredibly successful set.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Network42 posted:

Returning to eldraine and ixlan seems really fast, but the flavor and gameplay of both sets was great, so I'm on board with this.

yeah agreed, would have much rather returned to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor or Alara first, but oh well

Ixalan was a dud set in many ways but i did like the mono white Vampire theme and Hostage Taker is certainly a very fair Magic the Gathering card lmao

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Network42 posted:

I don’t mean to alarm you, but thats a 6 year gap between ixalan sets

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Kurash posted:

With a handful of hours to go, I've made mythic for the first time! Obviously done in the most toxic way possible, Historic BO1 with maindeck Grafdigger's Cage.

Congrats! And I appreciate the maindeck hate in historic BO1, it's less a meta call than a personal grudge but I maindeck Gaea's Blessing in the gates deck that helped me get Diamond last season.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Squinky v2.0 posted:

I don’t mean to alarm you, but thats a 6 year gap between ixalan sets

Yeah, Ixalan was the first standard set printed after Arena officially launched. They came out three days apart.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wanna feel old? o.g. innistrad came out seventy five years ago :smith:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kurash posted:

With a handful of hours to go, I've made mythic for the first time! Obviously done in the most toxic way possible, Historic BO1 with maindeck Grafdigger's Cage. Cage being strong against Arcanist, stopping Company and randomly hitting a bunch of other effects like Muxus and Unburial Rites is incredible.

Congrats!

Maybe I wasn't grinding hard enough this month but I capped off at Diamond this time, oh well.

Still getting those dailies so I should have a relatively fat bankroll for BRO Draft

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bust Rodd posted:

Here is a really good Standard deck full of strong cards that are fun to play and isn’t a three color greed pile. Combats Esper well because all of your cards are two or more cards.

Cost me a fair few wildcards but once this thing gets momentum it really tears.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kalel posted:

wanna feel old? o.g. innistrad came out seventy five years ago :smith:

Legends predates the birth of Christ and the pyramids

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

precision posted:

if the next Ixalan set isn't just 100% pirates and dinos, then i don't know what we're even doing here

I'd stay to expect some merfolk and vampires too, BUT it seems the premise of the new Eldraine set is to focus on the cool fairy tale stuff and ignore all the Arthurian knights poo poo nobody cared about, so maybe Ixalan 2 will also focus on the cool poo poo and trim the rest.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Hammer Bro. posted:

Cost me a fair few wildcards but once this thing gets momentum it really tears.

Forgot to comment but I also made this deck and it's been pretty good in ladder. Out values aggro decks and many midrange decks, and is easy to play. Copying sanctuary warden with kiki-jiki is pretty nice.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lone Goat posted:

I'd stay to expect some merfolk and vampires too, BUT it seems the premise of the new Eldraine set is to focus on the cool fairy tale stuff and ignore all the Arthurian knights poo poo nobody cared about, so maybe Ixalan 2 will also focus on the cool poo poo and trim the rest.

Vampire Conquistadors were some of the coolest stuff. Possibly of all time.

But yeah Eldraine could use some thematic tightening.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Here is a really good Standard deck full of strong cards that are fun to play and isn’t a three color greed pile. Combats Esper well because all of your cards are two or more cards.

I came up with a similar deck last week but instead of ao I put in the RW guy from dmu that makes soldier tokens

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Lone Goat posted:

Whatever, just give me my embercleave back.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
When you draft, you do not necessarily play against the people in your pool, correct?

With the amount of removal that black is getting, Haughty Jinn is probably dead as soon as BRO lands, and that makes me sad, because I've had a ton of fun running Izzet Jinn with Seize The Storms and Manaform Hellkites.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Not only is it not guaranteed it's virtually guaranteed you WON'T.