Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I know that if nothing else, his weird semi-sockpuppeted twitter army will do so. IDK for the rest of it; these are basically the leadership moves I'd expect if someone were trying to sink a company deliberately.

Yeah, his devotees were a real mark against the site already - to say nothing of the scammers those people attract like fruit flies - but now that he's the actual owner they're going to be whipped into a frenzy and probably sent gift baskets by the company. Gonna be wild.

It's pretty obviously just a narcissistic frenzy and the company will be run along those lines as people write pieces about how baffling it is that Musk is doing this or that which makes zero business sense. I suspect it'll all be a lot less funny when Musk is the GOP nom this time 2 years from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Epic High Five posted:

It's pretty obviously just a narcissistic frenzy and the company will be run along those lines as people write pieces about how baffling it is that Musk is doing this or that which makes zero business sense. I suspect it'll all be a lot less funny when Musk is the GOP nom this time 2 years from now.

Not eligible to be president due to not being a natural born citizen. Not that that will stop his fanbase

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, his devotees were a real mark against the site already - to say nothing of the scammers those people attract like fruit flies - but now that he's the actual owner they're going to be whipped into a frenzy and probably sent gift baskets by the company. Gonna be wild.

I mean, "in a 6-3 decision" and all but isnt Musk not allowed to be president because he's South African?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Is it possible the "pay to checkmark" setup is going to be only pay to checkmark- as in the other (already extremely suspect) verification process will stop existing?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

I mean, "in a 6-3 decision" and all but isnt Musk not allowed to be president because he's South African?

When I look forward to what things may be like in a couple years, I generally just assume the dumbest possible thing that seems plausible then make it a little dumber. "GOP nominates Musk because they can nominate whoever they like as part of dark money plot to further erode faith in national institutions by creating a huge legal shitstorm" feels like a natural fit for that. I don't think the GOP will be too terribly happy with that but once the path to power is Musk or nobody they'll fall in line.

Discendo Vox posted:

Is it possible the "pay to checkmark" setup is going to be only pay to checkmark- as in the other (already extremely suspect) verification process will stop existing?

I think a layer of "does Musk really hate this person" will be added and the fees applied to all accounts who want to maintain their checkmark, but I think just letting anybody buy one is unlikely, if only because Musk is going to really enjoy being the man standing between a well-known brand/person and their getting recognition for that on his platform.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think that's very plausible, yes. It'll turn from representing any kind of vetting to a badge of being a Premium Twitter User and announcing to the site that you're paying for account window dressing.

I'm not sure there even is a verification process right now- didn't Twitter stop issuing verifications once it became clear that no one including them could agree on what it meant and what the criteria for becoming verified were?

The article also says they plan to collect PII for blue check accounts, which I'm sure will have lots of fun repercussions for accounts owned by government or business organs rather than individuals

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Epic High Five posted:

Musk will have to work hard to truly kill Twitter because every ideological bloc's representative commentariat are hopelessly and horribly addicted to it and will be putting in world historic levels of volunteer labor to rehab everything he does to prevent people bailing, but I believe in him

Literally all he has to do is drop one of his "Maybe the Jews *do* have a giant space laser, who can say?" style conspiracy tweets and have something like Bluesky pop up and say "Remember when we could all grift quietly?" to have a sizable portion of the base jump ship. And once it starts it'll pick up steam fast. It might not happen for years, but the second it starts it's over.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Depends on the employment contract. What you're describing is basically a breach of contract - if my contract says I get paid if I'm fired not-for-cause but lose that protection if I'm fired for cause, you lying about why I was fired is a question of if you breached the agreement by not paying me severance or not. But if my contract says I get my bonus if I'm employed on November 1, and not if I'm not - for whatever reason - then the rationale for firing me is just PR and doesn't really go to my rights. Musk may want to lie and say he fired me for performance reasons, but if he had the right to fire me just because he didn't feel like paying, then there's not really much litigation recourse (aside from, I guess, a defamation lawsuit).

I think this is state dependent. In MA you can get fired for no reason, but if you're fired for cause you can sue for your job back including back pay if the cause is bullshit.

IANAL, but IIRC it is because of the way it's tied in to unemployment insurance taxes. Businesses pay a premium for firing without cause, and getting fired for cause removes eligibility for the employee.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mulva posted:

Literally all he has to do is drop one of his "Maybe the Jews *do* have a giant space laser, who can say?" style conspiracy tweets and have something like Bluesky pop up and say "Remember when we could all grift quietly?" to have a sizable portion of the base jump ship. And once it starts it'll pick up steam fast. It might not happen for years, but the second it starts it's over.

Eh, the media is pretty good at not seeing troubling stuff like that when they don't want to see it. They'll put up with it because they need to for their jobs, or they'll convince themselves they need to at least. Pissing off the payment processors is probably the biggest threat to his kingdom he's building. How much of a stake/control does he still have in Paypal? I think that bridge may be burned but it not it seems more likely he brings it in-house before he does something that absolutely will just kill it outright like doing everything via Muskcoin

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

Eh, the media is pretty good at not seeing troubling stuff like that when they don't want to see it. They'll put up with it because they need to for their jobs, or they'll convince themselves they need to at least. Pissing off the payment processors is probably the biggest threat to his kingdom he's building. How much of a stake/control does he still have in Paypal? I think that bridge may be burned but it not it seems more likely he brings it in-house before he does something that absolutely will just kill it outright like doing everything via Muskcoin

the media isn't the consumer. the advertisers are the consumer. the media tweeting poo poo is just useful for twitter in that it makes people hang out on twitter to be served ads.

advertisers absolutely do not want their brand serving up ads next to discussions about jewish space lasers even if some NYT reporters continue gamely posting poo poo on twitter, which directly impacts twitter's bottom line (and, thus, musk's)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

evilweasel posted:

the media isn't the consumer. the advertisers are the consumer. the media tweeting poo poo is just useful for twitter in that it makes people hang out on twitter to be served ads.

advertisers absolutely do not want their brand serving up ads next to discussions about jewish space lasers even if some NYT reporters continue gamely posting poo poo on twitter, which directly impacts twitter's bottom line (and, thus, musk's)

Well Fox News is still humming along just fine, if Musk lets them laser target them more I'm sure they'll be fine and certainly the more horrible companies will love it. I get the argument, I'm just bearish on how much ad bucks will sway things when the supposedly best times for advertisers on the platform was when it was still losing money on every user.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

projecthalaxy posted:

nobody ever actually came out and said what "natural born" means, so.....is he deeply rooted in our traditions?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mdemone posted:

nobody ever actually came out and said what "natural born" means, so.....is he deeply rooted in our traditions?

Our deeply rooted traditions are very hostile to Africans exerting political power, so that route won’t get him in either

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

projecthalaxy posted:

You need to be a natural born citizen. It's not the kind of thing you can 6-3 your way out of without further undermining the legitimacy of the Supreme Court and I don't think even the most recent Trump appointees would have go that far.

I read Bannon has a whole campaign to take control of state legislatures to push a Constitutional convention and change the constitution without a popular vote being needed, but that's a bit more work.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/19/steve-bannon-us-constitution-tea-party-republican-state-legislatures

Kale
May 14, 2010

Can't wait to hear Thomas or Alito's tortured arguments that in fact every other Judge that ruled on the matter of Trump's tax returns got it wrong and the House Committee is not entitled to receive a copy of Trump's tax returns that the IRS seems perfectly willing to turn over to it were it not for the latest motion.

Sorry meant Alito not Scalia. Regularly get my absolute hack political operative conservative Italian American judges mixed up.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 31, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The thing about Bluesky is that it just takes Facebook or Twitter locking them particularly out of their API for their entire business model to collapse, right?

This isn’t the first time somebody tried to make your social graph your own, but all the companies have to do is just say no, we’re not going to make it easy for you to leave our platform, because why would they?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Elon appears to have Swimmer's Body Illusion about twitter blue checks.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

selec posted:

The thing about Bluesky is that it just takes Facebook or Twitter locking them particularly out of their API for their entire business model to collapse, right?

This isn’t the first time somebody tried to make your social graph your own, but all the companies have to do is just say no, we’re not going to make it easy for you to leave our platform, because why would they?

This has been the downfall of all social/IM federation efforts over the last 25 years in tech going back as far as the great MSN/AIM wars of the late 90's

https://www.theverge.com/2014/4/21/5635488/msn-messenger-vs-aol-aim-chat-wars

I worked for a company a few years ago that was trying to reverse engineer the AIM protocol and it was hilarious how much weirdness there was in it which largely stemmed from the crazy things they did back then to try to cut off Microsoft

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mdemone posted:

It generally is considered to mean "not naturalized" and Musk became a U.S. citizen well into adulthood through naturalization. Neither of his parents are American citizens either. Even the widest interpretation of "natural born" wouldn't include him.

Musk actually couldn't get U.S. citizenship initially because he was from South Africa. He ended up becoming a Canadian citizen (through his mother) and then emigrating to the U.S. from Canada.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's not the kind of thing you can 6-3 your way out of without further undermining the legitimacy of the Supreme Court

Is this meant to be humorous? The Supreme Court technically is illegitimate now if one were to follow the letter of the constitution at all.

Or, the Supreme Court is alway legitimate as long as those in power care about what the 9 wizards fart out. They could easily 6-3 themselves out of anything they drat well please until Dems/liberals decide they are tired of playing nice with fascists.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It generally is considered to mean "not naturalized" and Musk became a U.S. citizen well into adulthood through naturalization. Neither of his parents are American citizens either. Even the widest interpretation of "natural born" wouldn't include him.

Musk actually couldn't get U.S. citizenship initially because he was from South Africa. He ended up becoming a Canadian citizen (through his mother) and then emigrating to the U.S. from Canada.

the other thing that's important (this came up with Schwarzenegger) is that there's really never going to be much support to remove it, short of like Trump finding out he was actually naturalized. even if there's a really good candidate that just doesn't qualify, all of the other people in that party who want to be president will make sure the party doesn't move in that direction. so even if musk wanted to be the republican nominee you'd find the rest of the party would not go along with that particular editing out of annoying parts of the constitution, because to them it's not annoying at all!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Eric Cantonese posted:

You need to be a natural born citizen. It's not the kind of thing you can 6-3 your way out of without further undermining the legitimacy of the Supreme Court and I don't think even the most recent Trump appointees would have go that far.

I read Bannon has a whole campaign to take control of state legislatures to push a Constitutional convention and change the constitution without a popular vote being needed, but that's a bit more work.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/19/steve-bannon-us-constitution-tea-party-republican-state-legislatures

I'm... pretty sure that's not how a constitutional convention works. Even if you use it as the alternate method of proposing amendments, they still have to be ratified. unless you go with the original articles of confederation method of "the previous constitution is irrelevant because we say so" but that's obviously a recipe for attempted secession / attempted civil war if you don't already have the oomph for ratification

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

recipe for attempted secession / attempted civil war if you don't already have the oomph for ratification

By whom? The current Dem party aka the decorum police? There has been zero meaningful pushback to anything the right has done thus far (such as the takeover of the Supreme Court), which would have been grounds for civil war / unrest in any functioning country.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Musk is the richest person on the planet. He doesn't need to be the president, he can buy the friendship of plenty of politicians and get plenty of status and money that way. He's already got the Texas GOP in his pocket.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Main Paineframe posted:

Musk is the richest person on the planet. He doesn't need to be the president, he can buy the friendship of plenty of politicians and get plenty of status and money that way. He's already got the Texas GOP in his pocket.

Yeah well we could have said mostly the same thing about Trump

e: "he's rich as gently caress he doesn't need to do this" etc etc. If Musk makes noise about wanting to be president it's not so much about the power and influence part as it is just being "look what I can do look at me"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The DOJ released more specifics about the Paul Pelosi attack in a court filing today

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1587156445903978497?s=20&t=v341DI617WYBYw91q2DNXQ

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

The DOJ released more specifics about the Paul Pelosi attack in a court filing today

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1587156445903978497?s=20&t=v341DI617WYBYw91q2DNXQ

Of course the DOJ would claim that the attacker was screaming "Where's Nancy?" because he wanted to attack Nancy Pelosi. They just want to cover up that "Where's Nancy?" was clearly a reference to the fact that he was Paul Pelosi's secret gay lover and this was a domestic incident.

(Seriously, how is this theory trending on Twitter and being seriously argued by people?)

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Of course the DOJ would claim that the attacker was screaming "Where's Nancy?" because he wanted to attack Nancy Pelosi. They just want to cover up that "Where's Nancy?" was clearly a reference to the fact that he was Paul Pelosi's secret gay lover and this was a domestic incident.

(Seriously, how is this theory trending on Twitter and being seriously argued by people?)

Didn't Musk retweet this claim the day after he bought twitter?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Because we live in the stupidest timeline and an alarming proportion of the population suffers from terminal internet poisoning.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattgertz/status/1586740957000728577

tldr: they needed to come up with something that redirects from the extremely obvious conclusion that the attack was a direct result of the right-wing media sphere, so they got desperate, and then it was pushed by Musk himself briefly

Just wait until this sort of thing is Twitter's main usage model

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Because it’s simple, free, easy to spread, and folks like to trip over themselves boosting it by saying “that’s not true, look at these idiots :smug:

Propaganda is super simple when one’s opponent is more interested in being right instead of delivering results.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It's not serious, they just need a counternarrative. It doesn't need to be a plausible counternarrative, because it's just being shouted into echo chambers by people who have the total and absolute trust of the listeners. The audience isn't going to pick it apart, nor are they going to listen to anyone else that tries to pick it apart for them. They just need to have a story, one that's shared with all their friends and fellow travelers, so they they don't have to think about it themselves.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, when twitter dies were will I go to find artists posting cool stuff they made?

Are we all going to have to go back to DeviantArt? I don't want to go back to DeviantArt.....I thought I left those dark days behind....

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 31, 2022

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, when twitter dies were will I go to find artists posting cool stuff they made?

Are we all going to have to go back to DeviantArt? I don't want to go back to DeviantArt.....I thought I left those dark day behind....

Myspace's comeback!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am curious about the IRS letters mentioned right at the end- if DePape was also a sovcit, then we're getting close to a full fringe bingo.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
*full flag fringe

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Is this meant to be humorous? The Supreme Court technically is illegitimate now if one were to follow the letter of the constitution at all.

Or, the Supreme Court is alway legitimate as long as those in power care about what the 9 wizards fart out. They could easily 6-3 themselves out of anything they drat well please until Dems/liberals decide they are tired of playing nice with fascists.

Given the text of the Constitution, expanding what it means to be "natural born" would be one step too far and it'd also undermine a bunch of right wing arguments about immigration that I'm sure a lot of the justices want to see pass.

I agree that a lot of the fiction of the Court's legitimacy is laughable and aggravating, but there is still a bare amount of window dressing that you need to put on things. Plus, even if you pushed the boundaries, they'd probably want something more worthwhile for that than Elon Musk.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

By whom? The current Dem party aka the decorum police? There has been zero meaningful pushback to anything the right has done thus far (such as the takeover of the Supreme Court), which would have been grounds for civil war / unrest in any functioning country.

A country with a civil war is, by definition, not functional.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Are we all going to have to go back to DeviantArt? I don't want to go back to DeviantArt.....I thought I left those dark days behind....

If Twitter dies, it won't be before something new takes it's place.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently Muskie's free speech has limits, thankfully...
https://twitter.com/Arbitrarymagi/status/1586892685373227012?s=20&t=3OnuPQkBRj5I1G9DVMBtbQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Eric Cantonese posted:

I agree that a lot of the fiction of the Court's legitimacy is laughable and aggravating, but there is still a bare amount of window dressing that you need to put on things.

Is there? What was the window dressing for overturning roe, which was a 50 year precedent and all those fucks swore under oath it was settled law?

Not trying to be snarky. If there is an internally consistent rationale I'd like to hear it. (I don't think "those decisions were all wrong" counts)