Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
GB News are frothing about Albanians this evening.
Where are the Albanian women and children they wonder, it is only the strong young men who are arriving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They are coming over here to steal our top industrial secrets like "sell all your industry to your friends and don't bother with infrastructure" and "poo poo in river."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Albania chat:

Anyone else ITT old enough to have seen Wag the Dog?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wag_the_Dog

quote:

The president is caught making advances on an underage girl inside the Oval Office, less than two weeks before the election. Conrad Brean, a top spin doctor, is brought in by presidential aide Winifred Ames to take the public's attention away from the scandal. He decides to construct a fictional war in Albania, hoping the media will concentrate on this instead. Brean contacts Hollywood producer Stanley Motss to create the war, complete with a theme song and fake film footage of a fleeing orphan to arouse sympathy. The hoax is initially successful, with the president quickly gaining ground in the polls.

Kirsten Dunst, Dustin Hoffman.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At this point I would probably rather take a thousand literal serial killers than a thousand proven tories, the latter do more damage.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

When I asked my local animal shelter a couple years ago what they think a single cat would need as absolute minimum space, their answer was "at least 50m²". That would be a rather big cage.

This is about the same size as the ground floor of my house. I have two cats (one mine, one a foster) and under this guidance my entire house is possibly not large enough for two cats.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

At this point I would probably rather take a thousand literal serial killers than a thousand proven tories, the latter do more damage.

Based on covid and austerity deaths, the serial killers would need to kill well over 1000 people each before catching sight of a Tory MP

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lady Demelza posted:

This is about the same size as the ground floor of my house. I have two cats (one mine, one a foster) and under this guidance my entire house is possibly not large enough for two cats.

What do you think your cats are, Albanian immigrants? :catstare: Solution: move out so the cats have more space to themselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Albania chat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wag_the_Dog

Kirsten Dunst, Dustin Hoffman.

I have. I also remember The Siege at Ruby Ridge from around the same time, where Kirsten Dunst plays a Kanye West fan and Randy Quaid plays a remarkable prediction of his later life.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

I think the shelter saying 50sq.m. might have meant either 50 sq.ft which is about 4.65 sq.m OR mean a whole cattery for many cats. Just no way it's 50sqm for one cat UNLESS they are including outside free-roaming space which is different territory to what we're talking about here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or it's one of those big cats.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

I was more thinking a reality TV show where they have to attempt to build a society in there and probably just eat each other.

"So... cie... ty?" :bighow:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are famines.

Pro strat: Eat the big Polish lad first.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

What do you think your cats are, Albanian immigrants?

Hmmm they are young adult males, jobless, have a poor grasp of English, and expect a hardworking taxpayer to support them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Albania chat:

The movie that came out the same year as Titanic?

No were all too young to have seen that.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/31/abortion-clinic-protesters-may-want-to-comfort-people-claims-minister-maria-caulfield

They'll comfort you with targeted harassment

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

Brian Yuzna's Society

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They might be asking for a punch in the face too. It's impossible to know without a series of legally sanctioned A/B testing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

Hmmm they are young adult males, jobless, have a poor grasp of English, and expect a hardworking taxpayer to support them.

Did you cut their goolies off? Hey Suella, here's an idea for you!

My boycat sent me a valentine once saying "I love you mum but why did you cut my goolies off?" Strangely, my boy cat's handwriting was remarkably similar to my dad's.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cost-of-living-payments-unclaimed-b2214424.html

quote:

People who pay their energy bills on prepayment meters are being urged to claim their cost of living help vouchers after figures revealed there has been been a low uptake so far.

The Post Office said that only 60 per cent of eligible customers had claimed their first payment for October.

Those who have not yet redeemed their voucher for October can still do so when collecting November’s payment, although the vouchers are only valid for 90 days.

All those who pay by meter – around 4 million people, according to energy regulator Ofcom – are entitled to vouchers which can be redeemed at Post Office.

Payment company PayPoint is also processing vouchers. The company told the BBC that so far it has only processed half of the credit it expected in October.

It is not exactly clear why so many people have not claimed the credit but campaigners believe it could be down to the so-far mild autumn weather.

"They may not know that the scheme exists, be reluctant to open letters from suppliers, miss the email, or can’t print the voucher off.

Bet a lot of the emails have gone into junk folders which loads of people NEVER open, and so many people do not have a printer or access to one these days.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Considering how the government treats emails, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the junk folder under '102893897447weeaboclanICPwhataremagnets@aol.com'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've had a couple of cases (the Covid map last year and a work related government gateway issue on a different computer and network this year) where the main service has been on a UK server and some other element has been on an Azure or Amazon shared server along with some dodgy sites that caused my own or the company network to kick up a fuss about the whole thing.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're also sending the emails out from servers that are on the spamhaus blacklist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Runcible Cat posted:

Speaking of things that are apparently just the fault of thousands of atomized individuals, you'll never guess what else is actually the fault of thousands of atomized individuals...

https://twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1587008420175089670

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i mean quite rightly i've done my own bit and drink my own poo poo whenever i can. i dunno why more people wont do their own bit

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The United Kingdom, the World's premier Jenkem exporter

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mark Jenkem, MP for Shitter-upon-Soakaway.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Why doesn't he change his name to Mark Spencer-Foodhall?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Saw this response to someone on reddit who posted that

"being signed off work for depression. and then seeing firsthand how hard it is to live on benefits. 19 days until i get money and i have none left."

Might be useful to someone ITT:

https://www.reddit.com/r/britishproblems/comments/yih5z8/comment/iujgtar/

quote:

Sorry in advance for the essay!

If you live in social housing, contact your landlords and ask to speak with their financial support team URGENTLY, explain the situation, they will have to go over your finances (quite in depth, sorry, but they can only help people in real need), but they should be able to help provide an e-voucher to get food in your nearest supermarket - ours is £40 for a single adult, £70 for a couple and £15 per child, for a week. They should also be able to get you a voucher if you are on a pre-payment meter for your gas or electricity to top them up.

They will also be able to help check you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to, apply for grants that you would be eligible for (there are a LOT, and nobody knows about them!), help check for local foodbank deliveries. Even get you on some free courses so you could possibly look to change your skills and job in future.

Source: that's my job :-)

If you aren't in social housing there is still a lot of support available.

While you are signed off you should have a sick/fit note. Write on your UC portal that you need their UC50 form, this is a capability for work assessment and the fit note is key, it should bump your standard payment up while you can't work.

Have you requested the housing element of UC? If you rent privately you should be able to get help with that while you are off, it will have a cap (check your LHA - Local Housing Allowance amount) but depending where you live and your rent cost it may cover the full rent amount, or at very least leave you with a shortfall as opposed to the full amount, not sure how this works with mortgages though, sorry.

While you are claiming UC, contact your broadband provider, the majority of them have a 'social tariff', basically a reduced rate for people claiming certain benefits, even saving a couple of quid helps when you are living off £334.91 a month for EVERYTHING. Same with your water company, social tariff please.

This won't help immediately though and getting you food is a priority, if the above does not apply, please call your local Citizens Advice Bureau first thing in the morning, stay on the line (it may take a while) and explain that you have no food or money to get to a foodbank, there are some foodbanks who deliver and CAB will know of them and if needed, can make an external referral on your behalf. CAB can also do all the stuff mentioned in the first two paragraphs, they can make external applications for grants, help apply for benefits, courses, etc.

Other potential option is your local council, they should have a "Resident Support Scheme" (some councils word it differently, but searching that with your local council on google should bring up what you need). You can get help from them too.

I am more than happy to answer any more questions you may have, I work for a housing association but the external support we source should mostly be available to anyone regardless as to their housing situation.

Hope that helps.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Someone's bin just blew past on the road outside

it's the Albanians Norman, they're nicking all the bins

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

This was a pretty interesting read, at almost 6am, when I'm supposed to be asleep.

https://twitter.com/StorySlug/status/1587086761150349312?t=Hygh30syAD4WjujPz4Xuwg&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah the Federation only exists because the Vulcans are better than us, Trek is fundamentally pessimistic about humanity's ability to better itself without outside assistance

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

HopperUK posted:

Someone's bin just blew past on the road outside

it's the Albanians Norman, they're nicking all the bins

Yeah the storm last night was absolutely mental. Was genuinely worried that bits of my house were gonna fly off.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Brian doesn't really like Buckingham Palace, does he?

I imagine you could fit a few refugees in there before they are found proper and adequate housing.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Albania should have got past the semi-finals at Eurovision this year. rather than. Azerbaijan. Albania has often sent underrated songs to Eurovision. Anyway, that's my opinion on Albania

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Brian doesn't really like Buckingham Palace, does he?

I imagine you could fit a few refugees in there before they are found proper and adequate housing.

I dunno who Brian is.

But the state of Buckingham palace, old lady been living in it for 50 years, it might be worse than the processing centre.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You sure? they look like blackboards for writing the cats name on or something? Maybe I'm wrong.

Ah, sorry. I think you're right. Honestly didn't see this yesterday. The risk of looking at things with only one working eye, I suppose.

The other comments still stand, though: The cages aren't getting closed and the cats can freely roam around.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1587084624655777792

Graun is pointing out that while the story itself is major, the key takeaway is that there's a growing number of people willing to brief against her.

I'm late, and obvious, but:

The political system in the UK is so infuriatingly broken and corrupt.

Putting this in real job terms, my understanding as a foreigner (Canadian lol) is: being an MP is like being an untitled employee at a company. It's just, you're there to put a butt in a seat, vote the right way, and try not to rock the boat too much. You get paid a good salary from the public purse for this. If you get to be a cabinet minister, then you have a title. Your salary goes up and you get more visibility & responsibilities.

There are no rules with any serious degree of enforcement, it's all "decorum" based bullshit. Things like the ministerial code seem to have no actual legal power, it's all tutting and breathless finger wagging with no consequences. And it seems like the absolute worst that can happen to you after all kinds of breaches, rule breaking and even law breaking, is you lose the job title, but remain an untitled employee, still with a salary, still deciding the direction the nation takes.

Like, how are we talking about how Bravermann MIGHT be forced to CONSIDER RESIGNING, instead of, the rules mean that not only is she out as home sec, but out as an MP triggering a by-election?

Like...Liz Truss is still an MP! Still influencing the direction we take as a nation, after demonstrably proving that she's a loving idiot with no grasp on reality. Again in terms of a normal job: if someone works their way up from sales rep, to regional rep, to sales director, to global sales officer, to CEO, and then in 45 days cripple the company's finances & are forced to resign: they don't go back to being sales director and work their way back, they leave in disgrace.

I can't take any solace in the fact that these ministers lose that role, when all it means is they're still working to gently caress things up behind the scenes, rather than on camera.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the issue there is that they are literally the highest authority in the country, I don't know if there is a country on the planet where the government polices itself, and if you are putting people "in charge" then you are necessarily relying on them to self police.

Even the US with its weird obsession with checks and balances doesn't actually have a practical means to punish people who run the country badly, or who break the supposed "rules" because the only people who can bring any of their theoretical consequences to bear are the people who are running the country, and they have no reason to want anybody in or close to their position to be held accountable for their actions.

Historically, of course, the police of the government is people dragging them out and cutting off their heads, but that doesn't happen very often. And if you suggest some sort of political system where the people in charge are obligated to serve the people who put them there or else they will face real material consequences commensurate with the scale of their failures, or the idea that relying on that sort of abstraction of power away from people at large will inherently render it unable to serve the popular interest, that's loony leftism and we can't have any of that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 1, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mourning Due posted:

I'm late, and obvious, but:

The political system in the UK is so infuriatingly broken and corrupt.

Putting this in real job terms, my understanding as a foreigner (Canadian lol) is: being an MP is like being an untitled employee at a company. It's just, you're there to put a butt in a seat, vote the right way, and try not to rock the boat too much. You get paid a good salary from the public purse for this. If you get to be a cabinet minister, then you have a title. Your salary goes up and you get more visibility & responsibilities.

There are no rules with any serious degree of enforcement, it's all "decorum" based bullshit. Things like the ministerial code seem to have no actual legal power, it's all tutting and breathless finger wagging with no consequences. And it seems like the absolute worst that can happen to you after all kinds of breaches, rule breaking and even law breaking, is you lose the job title, but remain an untitled employee, still with a salary, still deciding the direction the nation takes.

Like, how are we talking about how Bravermann MIGHT be forced to CONSIDER RESIGNING, instead of, the rules mean that not only is she out as home sec, but out as an MP triggering a by-election?

Like...Liz Truss is still an MP! Still influencing the direction we take as a nation, after demonstrably proving that she's a loving idiot with no grasp on reality. Again in terms of a normal job: if someone works their way up from sales rep, to regional rep, to sales director, to global sales officer, to CEO, and then in 45 days cripple the company's finances & are forced to resign: they don't go back to being sales director and work their way back, they leave in disgrace.

I can't take any solace in the fact that these ministers lose that role, when all it means is they're still working to gently caress things up behind the scenes, rather than on camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b538ndRV9Do

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Rhys Mogg now having to sit there in the commons impotently, and his only outlet being whinging at any hack who will listen, is by far the most amusing outcome of that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Also at the height of brexit he was given an offer on his disaster capitalist investment company for 90 million, now it’s worth 12 million.