Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Eluna and the Moth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Important note: Remember how Gray found a hero from one of his previous campaings? The same can happen during any campaign. In fact, it's possible to make only certain heroes have potential to show up, which means Gray can have it set to the crew from the campaign that just finished, or the fan favorites, or whatever.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

my dad posted:

Important note: Remember how Gray found a hero from one of his previous campaings? The same can happen during any campaign. In fact, it's possible to make only certain heroes have potential to show up, which means Gray can have it set to the crew from the campaign that just finished, or the fan favorites, or whatever.

Just lol if you don't have like a trillion heroes kicking around your legacy and can remember and cheerfully recall all of them.

(Please send help.)

At any rate, Eluna and the Moth is probably the best of the stories, and also quite hard. AtBoS is good too, but EatM drops maybe my favorite line in the game.

You're gonna get two mystics anyhow, try making one of them either a Vigorflow user or whatever the defensive one is called (or both) and wade them out there with serious person weapon and a bow. I scored 160 kills with a single character on the Tragic Hero version of this campaign--a Vigorflow mystic running a rapier/shield in one set and a bow in the other.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Eluna and the Moth, since it has the most "poetic" name IMO.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

All the Bones of Summer

lets see the faction that didn't show up in this campaign

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I don't know why we are voting, I don't remember the OP giving us a choice specifically. Regardless though, I was rather interested in the concept of the three chapter random campaign, I mean how on earth could that possibly work? When does it know when to stop?

Tombot fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 1, 2022

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Eluna and the Moth - 10
Monarchs under the Mountain - 4
All the bones of summer - 7

So the Grey Hunters shall face Eluna and the Moth, or help. I have no idea, I've not played this one!

We not get to choose our heroes - we have two mystics, who are siblings. we can accept the random ladies here, or pick something else.
We also get to choose a Warrior and Hunter - we can choose a new random, or we can pick a legacy character. Did some of our heroes take time off to help these kids out?

Legacy characters start with one skill, except for Ciara and Yvilde, who I upgraded and now start with a choice of 2!

Hard choices ahead!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Yvilde for Hillpainter A pigment on every kop!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
A glorious new adventure awaits. Bring in Yvilde as the Hillpainter on this one. And give Molis a chance as the warrior here. She's already in the slot after all.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
new group lets go stay with these random goons

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well if we need to pick a hunter and a warrior, Yvilde and Ciara would be perfect.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

verbal enema posted:

new group lets go stay with these random goons

:hai:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Pharnakes posted:

Well if we need to pick a hunter and a warrior, Yvilde and Ciara would be perfect.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Don't really care who but someone from the legacy

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Grandma bird frog Yvilde as the hillpainter, with one of your other legacy characters as the warrior, just to show them off.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Give the younger sibling your two favorite colors.

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
These new Mystic sisters look good - keep them.

I'll join the votes for Yvilde as Hillpainter and Molis as our Warrior.

Since this campaign starts with the double Mystics, this is the one where I tried out a Vigorflow archer build. Can confirm, powerful and fun.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Oh this campaign has legacy heroes too.

Let's go with Yvilde and Molis, may our fallen heroes rise again.

Definitely do something to avoid using up all the scenery with two mystics. Vigorflow is a good choice since you can fuel your attacks with just about anything, other good alternatives are naturalist (creates new scenery with naturalist+, while interfused with it can attack with it as a swift action) and spiritblade (can give allies fire attacks with blazes, does generally require a fire source).

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 1, 2022

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

WizardOfWhispers posted:

These new Mystic sisters look good - keep them.

I'll join the votes for Yvilde as Hillpainter and Molis as our Warrior.

Since this campaign starts with the double Mystics, this is the one where I tried out a Vigorflow archer build. Can confirm, powerful and fun.

I ran the siblings as Vigorflow and the other as, uh, the one that lets you use blazes to give allies an extra attack. I ran the warrior as a raider, who can, you know, make blazes.

1)Raider is absurdly good.
2)Vigorflow is busted damage, and even better with extra attacks. It's really handy to be able to just delete anything shy of those dragons (gently caress the fairy dragons) in one shot. Killing two enemies is just icing.

Edit
Is Raider the best ability in the game? Maybe. Vigorflow is up there. Indignance is up there. Every defensive skill, especially the armor/warding boosting one. Rogue. Quelling Moss....... God, it's hard. It feels like most skills in this game are ridiculous.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 1, 2022

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I like how Wildermyth runs on story logic and that what’s canonically true is fluid. It can be true that Molis was having these Thrixl adventures (possibly to die on them), while simultaneously true that she had all those Morthagi adventures with the Griffons and died there. And weren’t Molis and Yvilde supposed to be very different ages? It doesn’t matter. Stories are fluid. It can all be true.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Unless I had a fever dream, I am pretty sure there is at least one event that checks if a parent is younger than one of their children. It's certainly a thing you could mod in.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Unless I had a fever dream, I am pretty sure there is at least one event that checks if a parent is younger than one of their children. It's certainly a thing you could mod in.

There's one in a mod I made - I assume some other event mods probably have similar ones too. I don't think any of the stock events do, though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's entirely possible I saw it in demo text from a mod event. I don't use any non cosmetic mods (yet), but I have certainly checked a few out. Might have even been yours, if you put it on the workshop.

Edit
I'm always disappointed there's no true full campaign mods. I'd put one up myself, but my programming, even with tutorials, is.... Sketchy.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 1, 2022

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
Tossing in a vote for Xanlor. I feel like we didn't get to see anything of him, so why not let him have the spotlight?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Veryslightlymad posted:

Quelling Moss.......

Saved my rear end in this campaign, but it requires a lot of supporting skills and potency stacking to REALLY take off.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

my dad posted:

Saved my rear end in this campaign, but it requires a lot of supporting skills and potency stacking to REALLY take off.

Depends on if you're trying to solo everything. It's busted in a ton of ways, though.
1)All your attacks get the poison, too.
2)It hits a huge AoE at a decent range, which sets up a crazy amount of flanks
3)Anything that has fewer HP than your stacks is already dead, and can be ignored entirely.
4) It's not a full action.

It could do 0 damage and 2 and 4 here would make it worth taking anyhow. Adding in its actual effect is bonkers.

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022

Veryslightlymad posted:

Depends on if you're trying to solo everything. It's busted in a ton of ways, though.
3)Anything that has fewer HP than your stacks is already dead, and can be ignored entirely.

It could do 0 damage and 2 and 4 here would make it worth taking anyhow. Adding in its actual effect is bonkers.

100% agree, Quellingmoss is a regular choice on my rogues. That wiggle room for when an enemy doesn't quite die is huge.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I ran the siblings as Vigorflow and the other as, uh, the one that lets you use blazes to give allies an extra attack. I ran the warrior as a raider, who can, you know, make blazes.

1)Raider is absurdly good.
2)Vigorflow is busted damage, and even better with extra attacks. It's really handy to be able to just delete anything shy of those dragons (gently caress the fairy dragons) in one shot. Killing two enemies is just icing.

Edit
Is Raider the best ability in the game? Maybe. Vigorflow is up there. Indignance is up there. Every defensive skill, especially the armor/warding boosting one. Rogue. Quelling Moss....... God, it's hard. It feels like most skills in this game are ridiculous.

I haven't tried that blazes ability - might need to give it a shot sometime. I usually grab Ignite+ since that lets Mystics make two attacks and helps cut down on the scenery that they go through. But constantly spawning fires on enemies and then moving them through to hit groups is just incredible for how few actions it takes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Veryslightlymad posted:

Depends on if you're trying to solo everything

That was in fact what the hero in question ended up having to do. :) There's a qualitative difference between "really powerful" and "kill 60 thrixl in one fight"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

WizardOfWhispers posted:

100% agree, Quellingmoss is a regular choice on my rogues. That wiggle room for when an enemy doesn't quite die is huge.

I haven't tried that blazes ability - might need to give it a shot sometime. I usually grab Ignite+ since that lets Mystics make two attacks and helps cut down on the scenery that they go through. But constantly spawning fires on enemies and then moving them through to hit groups is just incredible for how few actions it takes.
Ignite is another candidate for "most busted" ability.

Raider's fire (and scenery destruction!) is also a quick action. It's not obvious, but Raider can also be boosted by long reach. (So you can set fires/destroy terrain away from you) The fire attack either can't miss (unless blind) or has a stupidly high hit rate.

Several Mystic abilities make scenery. Sometimes a lot of it.

Another thing is that with either Raider or Ignite, the enemy will take 2 warding damage at the start of their turn.

There are NO bad abilities in this game (maybe Wisdom). If you're always building the same thing, you're robbing yourself of a good time. I try to never have two people recruited who fight the same way.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Veryslightlymad posted:

There are NO bad abilities in this game (maybe Wisdom). If you're always building the same thing, you're robbing yourself of a good time. I try to never have two people recruited who fight the same way.

Wisdom is the skill you take on your starting legacy mystic if you want to still have them available in chapter 5 of a scenario (assuming you've also done their personal sidequest), AND it lets you do overland map stuff very efficiently, saving you a lot of time and calamities. In some ways it's more powerful than the most busted tactical stuff, since it can prevent needing it.

e: Ignite+ and Naturalist+ are by far the most newbie friendly mystic builds, while still remaining powerful later, since you make your own interfusion fuel with them. Bonus points for helping avoid situations where multiple mystics chew through the scenery (literally) faster than they chew through the enemy.

my dad fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 1, 2022

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think Arches is up there with Ignite. The pin effect is crazy.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Veryslightlymad posted:

Thanks to your av, I hear your more analytical posts in this thread on his voice :allears:

When I think sustainable mystic, I usually think of the conjure and manipulate fire powers. i imagine it’s not optimal, but it does make you much less prop dependent.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Here are our starting heroes for this story.

This is what we pay to get the legacy characters in.

This story starts with Molis returning home.

She steps in a memory.

And here are the sisters, having a nice boring life. Enjoy having all your limbs while you can!

Look, you could have had a normal life, but here you are messing with a book called “The Dread Compendium.” I'm sorry – you never stood a chance.

It's not luck, it's fate.

She's trying to save you! Give her the book!

She nicks the book – but how does Thalwae feel about this?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
As a hotheaded coward myself, the roleplayer in me would say bitter.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
3. Let’s have a thirsty one.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
A natural understanding. Let the urge to loot and swipe things of evil power rise in you, young one.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

3 sounds most interesting narratively.

But in real life anyone snatching a book I was reading is going to get their teeth punched down their throat.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
1 is the natural response

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Let’s go with Romamce, the universal motivator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Mechanical Ape posted:

Let’s go with Romamce, the universal motivator.

:hmmyes: Let's do that.