Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I've never done multiplayer paradox game before. How does speed work? I'm constantly either paused or at max speed in paradox games. Is it like a vote system where the game goes as slow as the slowest player's setting? So if someone has something to do they can pause but if everyone wants to go fast they can go fast?

Host gets to choose the speed, the game will slow down automatically if somebody is lagging behind for whatever reason.

Anybody can pause the game. Most games just run at 3 speed, maybe slowing down for wars. The games are not really as time sensitive as they feel in single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Baronjutter posted:

I've never done multiplayer paradox game before. How does speed work? I'm constantly either paused or at max speed in paradox games. Is it like a vote system where the game goes as slow as the slowest player's setting? So if someone has something to do they can pause but if everyone wants to go fast they can go fast?

speed 3. if ur internet isnt good enough later homie. if there's a war betwixt players or maybe a very Potent AI u can get speed 2 as a treat.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

if you only have that one little slice of hokkaido then you've got like 40k spare peasants there which is not very many. thats like 3-4 buildings worth of labor. if you build more than that, the buildings start bidding against each other for workers, and all your workers keep rushing back and forth chasing higher wages in a wage spiral. this will also cause their demands for standard of living to increase, and consumption of goods to increase, because they have fat wallets

in theory more migrants would show up eventually to expand the labor pool and drive wages back down but, if you've still got closed migration policy, that won't happen. basically you have to keep a very close eye on your available labor pool (peasants) and not overemploy them. easy to forget as japan because a lot of your states have an inexhaustible pool of like 700k peasants

I passed the free migration law and checked in on Hokkaido for a while afterwards and its numbers did rise quite a bit, but it didn't have much of an impact on the revolving door employment issue. I put that one aside though because I now have a bigger job on my plate: switching to a parliamentary republic. My Industrialist/Intelligentsia bloc has a lot more combined population than the Shogunate (and more support), but every time I enrage the Shogunate to revolt they get pretty much every unit on their side and I get like one guy in Kansai to defend with. I even hired an Industrialist general and promoted him all the way in case that made any difference to my forces (it didn't).

I'm still learning how the war mechanics actually work (and conscription centers - it wouldn't even let me use the one in Kansai even though I was at war) but setting all that aside for the moment, how do you peacefully do the whole Meiji restoration thing and transition to a republic? I think the Shogunate was down to around 15% in my current game as of like 1906 but enraging them was still game over. Is there one weird trick I missed along the way?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

It's crazy to me that you can spacebar pause in V3 multiplayer. I hope that was not an intentional change.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Assila posted:

It's crazy to me that you can spacebar pause in V3 multiplayer. I hope that was not an intentional change.

i think they did the imperator thing where they broke mp on release and will have patches fixing it coming up lol

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

One day I will understand Standard of Living and then I will rule the world

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kalko posted:

I'm still learning how the war mechanics actually work (and conscription centers - it wouldn't even let me use the one in Kansai even though I was at war) but setting all that aside for the moment, how do you peacefully do the whole Meiji restoration thing and transition to a republic? I think the Shogunate was down to around 15% in my current game as of like 1906 but enraging them was still game over. Is there one weird trick I missed along the way?

you just need to chip away at their power bit by bit with different laws that erode their clout bonus. also continue industrializing as hard as possible. you may also want to boost the intelligentsia, them and the industrialists will be your core IGs and the industrialists will be big enough as you dive into growing the economy

early on, kick out the samurai and replace them with the peasants. work on passing agrarianism and any useful intermediary reforms that the peasants suggest. eventually if you're throwing down universities enough, you can swap out the peasants for the intelligentsia and go for some meatier reforms. one of the key points is abolishing serfdom, this itself is a 50% boost to the shogunate's clout and it will very much piss them off

you can ride the line of pissing off the shogunate pretty hard. if it seems like war is inevitable, fire all of your generals. when the shogunate rebel (and the samurai are very likely to tag along) you can then hire generals from your in-power IGs. it shouldn't be too hard to win that war but i understand also not even wanting to go that route. you just have to play a delicate balance of making the shogunate eat poo poo but not too much poo poo that they start to decide revolution is a better idea. probably just go straight for reforms that gently caress over the shogunate specifically and not rich people in general, until you break the shogunate as an IG after the reformation and you can commence building communism

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Hell yeah got east Borneo to secure oil and doing that pretty much seems like a requirement late since nobody builds oil?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

what ever was the point of disabling spacebar pause in MP?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

people reflexively hitting it and pausing the game constantly by accident

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
All I want in this game is a way to filter and sort POPs- who's unemployed? who's SoL is lovely? Who knows?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Glad to hear the game is getting good mechanics changes right away, though it will make Japan Hellmode an even harder start, which does make sense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

really queer Christmas posted:

How did you get the education one? Even with religious schools I could only get literacy to 35%

I started by making the level 5 university with the decree to speed things up. Then I focused on urbanization, the army and the bureaucracy.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
After USA and France games I thought "I can handle big countries now, let's try Qing."

I was wrong. British troops may as well be space marines vs. my peasant levies, and Jesus' crazy brother just took all of Southern China. I miss the anachronistically chill Dixie aristocrats.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Goddamn, the game sometimes seems to kinda fall apart towards the end. I have an expedition that has not progressed for several months now, continuing to cost me significant expense. Related, "The Grand Exhibition" thing seems very hard to complete if you're already rank 1. Many of the big AI powers are always in turmoil and don't seem to want to extract valuable resources. Some AI rebellions successfully split off from their home nations and are now forever "uprisings" that cannot be interacted with.

I am still enjoying the game, but I wonder how much the period from say 1900-end got QA'd.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

you just need to chip away at their power bit by bit with different laws that erode their clout bonus. also continue industrializing as hard as possible. you may also want to boost the intelligentsia, them and the industrialists will be your core IGs and the industrialists will be big enough as you dive into growing the economy

early on, kick out the samurai and replace them with the peasants. work on passing agrarianism and any useful intermediary reforms that the peasants suggest. eventually if you're throwing down universities enough, you can swap out the peasants for the intelligentsia and go for some meatier reforms. one of the key points is abolishing serfdom, this itself is a 50% boost to the shogunate's clout and it will very much piss them off

you can ride the line of pissing off the shogunate pretty hard. if it seems like war is inevitable, fire all of your generals. when the shogunate rebel (and the samurai are very likely to tag along) you can then hire generals from your in-power IGs. it shouldn't be too hard to win that war but i understand also not even wanting to go that route. you just have to play a delicate balance of making the shogunate eat poo poo but not too much poo poo that they start to decide revolution is a better idea. probably just go straight for reforms that gently caress over the shogunate specifically and not rich people in general, until you break the shogunate as an IG after the reformation and you can commence building communism

Thanks for this. I feel like I'm doing most of it right, like Industrialists/Intelligentsia are my two big IGs in government with the Shogunate, but it sounds like my mistake by having an Industrialist general was not firing the other Shogunate one? If I had, would that have meant most of army units would have thrown in with my main guy?

I've avoided supporting the peasants the whole time because I thought they were one of the Shogunate's sources of power but I didn't consider that they're their own IG as well.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kalko posted:

Thanks for this. I feel like I'm doing most of it right, like Industrialists/Intelligentsia are my two big IGs in government with the Shogunate, but it sounds like my mistake by having an Industrialist general was not firing the other Shogunate one? If I had, would that have meant most of army units would have thrown in with my main guy?

I've avoided supporting the peasants the whole time because I thought they were one of the Shogunate's sources of power but I didn't consider that they're their own IG as well.

firing generals belonging to an IG pisses off that IG. having generals boosts them a little. keeping a full roster of shogunate generals around is a pretty acceptable compromise, as you work around the edges of their power and remove them from the government slice by slice. if war kicks off you can hire new generals anyway

its not super great to have the peasants in government since they're also reactionary traditionalists but there are a few legal reforms they can push for and its better to have them in government than the samurai or the priests

also don't have the shogunate, the intelligentsia, and the industrialists all in at the same time. it tanks your authority, which makes laws take longer to pass. better to just form a government with the shogun and then whatever other IG you need to get the law you want. keep in mind that shuffling your government over and over slowly pisses off the IGs you fire, which isn't a big problem, but it is something to be aware of as a cost for shuffling your government as an autocratic monarchy

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 1, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TwoQuestions posted:

Glad to hear the game is getting good mechanics changes right away, though it will make Japan Hellmode an even harder start, which does make sense.

And we're already at the Paradox standard "I don't want to play because I want to wait for the next update" issue.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Had my infamy way through the roof because of constant colonial bullshit, and after the third consecutive hellwar to punish me I said "gently caress it I'll surrender", well guess what that thing about giving up stuff you've conquered in the last 10 years is a drat lie, it made me give up EVERYTHING I EVER CONQUERED, the only stuff I kept was the state of Flanders and the colonial territories which I had got through colonization.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ms Adequate posted:

Had my infamy way through the roof because of constant colonial bullshit, and after the third consecutive hellwar to punish me I said "gently caress it I'll surrender", well guess what that thing about giving up stuff you've conquered in the last 10 years is a drat lie, it made me give up EVERYTHING I EVER CONQUERED, the only stuff I kept was the state of Flanders and the colonial territories which I had got through colonization.

The colony events can't be working as intended, it's hosed and awful.

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013
The "profit impact" metric when building things is so very hosed and I wonder how badly it kneecaps the AI's industrialization, since according to the dev diaries it considers the same metric and it's almost always negative.
So far I've found that it, at the least,
-Doesn't take throughput bonuses into account
-Doesn't take state modifiers (like +hardwood% or whatever) into account
-Fudges wage cost estimates 20% higher

I'm going to finish off my playthrough (currently in 1906) and enjoy circling back to this in 3-6 months.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

On a side note, has anyone been able to successfully complete the American west expedition? I've failed like five times now. I must be tremendously unlucky to fail so many 50-50 shots.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I know they moved away from railroaded historical events a long time ago but I am reminded how much I miss the flavor from Vicky 1. The randomly firing inventions tied to techs based on real historical figures added so much to me, it really emphasized the "Great Power race" for prestige which here I never notice unless i look at the number and take the time to look at how it's changed. Karl Marx as Kras Mazov is a fun easter egg but I want more of that for real lol

And I wouldn't want it to be hardcoded but are there even any systems that would model 1848, which is like one of the ten most defining events of the 19thc?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CrypticTriptych posted:

The "profit impact" metric when building things is so very hosed and I wonder how badly it kneecaps the AI's industrialization, since according to the dev diaries it considers the same metric and it's almost always negative.
So far I've found that it, at the least,
-Doesn't take throughput bonuses into account
-Doesn't take state modifiers (like +hardwood% or whatever) into account
-Fudges wage cost estimates 20% higher

I'm going to finish off my playthrough (currently in 1906) and enjoy circling back to this in 3-6 months.

Oh god if the AI is building based off that estimate no wonder they're hosed. I almost NEVER see it report a positive number. Generally if something isn't in demand at all it will report a huge negative number, and if something is going to be super profitable it will only report a small negative number. Only the most ultra giga profitable buildings ever report like 0.01 positive value.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ms Adequate posted:

I think it’s what you conquered in the last ten years AND it frees all your vassals.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Magil Zeal posted:

On a side note, has anyone been able to successfully complete the American west expedition? I've failed like five times now. I must be tremendously unlucky to fail so many 50-50 shots.

I succeeded in an American West expedition, and then my general got stuck as "busy" for the rest of his life and couln't be mobilized, so I just had a bunch of my divisions permanently unusable until the guy died. I couldn't even use the console to kill him.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And I wouldn't want it to be hardcoded but are there even any systems that would model 1848, which is like one of the ten most defining events of the 19thc?

There is, yes - during the Prussia dev stream it popped for them and derailed the original plans to remain a conservative monarchy trying to unite Germany in favor of riding the wave of liberalism to shove through a whole bunch of reforms past the Junkers and speed up the process of unifying Germany.

Magil Zeal posted:

Goddamn, the game sometimes seems to kinda fall apart towards the end. I have an expedition that has not progressed for several months now, continuing to cost me significant expense. Related, "The Grand Exhibition" thing seems very hard to complete if you're already rank 1. Many of the big AI powers are always in turmoil and don't seem to want to extract valuable resources. Some AI rebellions successfully split off from their home nations and are now forever "uprisings" that cannot be interacted with.

I am still enjoying the game, but I wonder how much the period from say 1900-end got QA'd.

Yeah, getting Grand Exhibition points seems like an utter crapshoot, especially if you already did a bunch of expeditions before triggering it. Techs don't add much, and ranking up is kind of a ridiculous thing to prepare for. On the other hand despite the tooltip saying that I didn't really have anything to show for the Exhibition, when the timer ran out the whole thing seemed to go off fairly smoothly? It's kind of a weird, underbaked event all-told.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 1, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Baronjutter posted:

Anyone have any idea why my trade unions suddenly has 0% clout? For the last 30 years they've been by far the majority of clout and win every election. Am I getting some sort of overflow that's setting them to 0??

The next highest shows a much lower population and wealth. So why's the math saying trade unions is 0???

I don't think it can overflow to 0% because it looks like this when the power gets too large:

Magil Zeal posted:

The expeditions are incredibly hard to complete. You pretty much have to take every single "safe" option. And after completing them you will probably run into the bug with permanently busy generals/admirals so it is not worth it right now except for that one event that gives you Oregon and Washington from Canada as the U.S.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 1, 2022

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
How do I build things in puppets? I’ve got a pile of money and they’ve got piles of resources my economy needs that they are inexplicably not mining, where is the button to turn A into B?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

As Germany, having Austria locked into a forever-war for the last 50 years with Radical Austria... sorry, Communist Austria, wait, I guess it's Fascist Austria now? ...has been interesting. On the upside, my southern neighbor and biggest rival is basically not able to bother me. On the downside, I guess I'm not getting any of those states in the revolutionary nation ever. One of them had oil, I think.

Tomn posted:

Yeah, getting Grand Exhibition points seems like an utter crapshoot, especially if you already did a bunch of expeditions before triggering it. Techs don't add much, and ranking up is kind of a ridiculous thing to prepare for. On the other hand despite the tooltip saying that I didn't really have anything to show for the Exhibition, when the timer ran out the whole thing seemed to go off fairly smoothly? It's kind of a weird, underbaked event all-told.

I guess so, I got +100 prestige for like 10 years, though I only managed to research like two techs and filled up the bar maybe 15% of the way.

Mister Bates posted:

How do I build things in puppets? I’ve got a pile of money and they’ve got piles of resources my economy needs that they are inexplicably not mining, where is the button to turn A into B?

You annex them then build them yourself. Which is to say, unfortunately you can't build things in your puppets currently.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

For those looking for a bit of musical immersion, Wikipedia has lists of music by year. I’ve been listening as I play for the kind of EU2 experience. The soundtrack is great but occasionally it’s good to hear the real thing.

Starts here in 1836.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Pakled posted:

I succeeded in an American West expedition, and then my general got stuck as "busy" for the rest of his life and couln't be mobilized, so I just had a bunch of my divisions permanently unusable until the guy died. I couldn't even use the console to kill him.

Yeah, I've been save-editing to fix this but it's a pain.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I’d really like a way to restrict exports to a certain level. It’s stupid that my market is running a 2k deficit on coal because the UK is importing like 4k from me and I can’t do anything about it except increase tariffs somewhat.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Star posted:

I’d really like a way to restrict exports to a certain level. It’s stupid that my market is running a 2k deficit on coal because the UK is importing like 4k from me and I can’t do anything about it except increase tariffs somewhat.

You can always re-import from the British. Apparently trade loops like that create resources and trade value out of thin air

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Traxis posted:

You can always re-import from the British. Apparently trade loops like that create resources and trade value out of thin air

Hell yes, this is the Vicky(TM) shenanigans I'm here for

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Am I missing something or is there really no point in joining Diplomatic crisis and entering other nation‘s wars as player?

Other AIs can add wargoals meanwhile I am fighting a hellwar against Prussia + Russia in my Austria game and I‘ll not get anything out of it. If I had a console I would yesmen white peace that poo poo war.

So how can I add my war goals when intervening to protect German minors?

If it‘s not possible, it‘s probably easier and better to just go to war with Prussia myself and liberate all their minors.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

Am I missing something or is there really no point in joining Diplomatic crisis and entering other nation‘s wars as player?

Other AIs can add wargoals meanwhile I am fighting a hellwar against Prussia + Russia in my Austria game and I‘ll not get anything out of it. If I had a console I would yesmen white peace that poo poo war.

If it‘s not possible, it‘s probably easier and better to just go to war with Prussia myself and liberate all their minors.

If you set yourself to leaning to either side the AI will sometimes offer you something to join

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Tahirovic posted:

ai can offer you bribes yeah. also if you are in a war and theres no war goals against you you can just capitulate to get out for free

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wish there was a way to "suggest" to the AI what you'd accept as a sway in a particular diplomatic play. As it stands, I rarely get sway offers for anything but obligations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There's a decent-sized event chain and a couple of journal entries, but they have far too restrictive triggers (basically a revolution needs to be in progress already with a radical leader at the helm) and almost never kick off. This applies to a few other historical things like the ACW as well I think. The flavor stuff is there but it was designed with a bit too much faith in the core systems to create the right conditions for you to see it.