Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

is there a like "how to tank" guide, I've got Warrior at 45 and holy poo poo I keep eating poo poo constantly

two dungeons in a row I've died on the first pull despite slapping all my buttons like a madman and the healer goes "my bad"

is it just that they don't have ogcds sub-50 (and no Holy or anything)? am I pulling too big because I'm missing something I don't even know about yet? I just want to be an invincible golden god :(

So....what dungeon were you in? Some of the earlier dungeons can be pretty dicey since the wall to wall pattern hasn't been established. For example there is Dzaemal Darkhold, where if you pull the whole first section and don't stand in the light of a crystal you can easily get bodied.

Aurum Veil is famous for its first room being the biggest noob trap on the planet....and it doesn't matter how expertly you pull the enemies on the side of the wall if a DPS accidently clips another pack with their AOE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's hard to make generalized suggestions because there are so many points where your pulls could have gone wrong.

What dungeons are we talking about? Is that a single pack in your pull? What jobs were the healers? In general they have limited tools for oh poo poo moments below 50 indeed, but they're not equal. On the other hand, tanks don't have their best tools below 50 either. If you're making big pulls and the healers are new they might simply be unprepared/surprised instead of "poo poo healers", if it's a single pull they might be anything, including semi-afk, undergeared or terrible.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

One tank tip that is universal is to remember to use Arm's Length since it is a mitigation CD and a fairly good one at that (although it only works on mobs, not bosses, not that you really need to mit most bosses anyway).

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
doing the Moogle tribe quests. 50 rep per and they have you flying your rear end all over the churning mists? drat I wish I didn't need that card!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, is your gear up to date? Do you have your AF gloves, pants, boots and helmet from your job quests plus a level 45 tank-specific chest piece? Gear that's listed as "Disciple of War" is more for DPS and can leave you a bit squishy if you're trying to tank.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, is your gear up to date? Do you have your AF gloves, pants, boots and helmet from your job quests plus a level 45 tank-specific chest piece? Gear that's listed as "Disciple of War" is more for DPS and can leave you a bit squishy if you're trying to tank.
please, I crafted my own HQ. (well, when I hit 45 I just slammed AF in those slots because they're i50)

Madmarker posted:

Aurum Veil is famous for its first room being the biggest noob trap on the planet....and it doesn't matter how expertly you pull the enemies on the side of the wall if a DPS accidently clips another pack with their AOE.
oh thank god no I'm not at pissvale yet, it was Brayflox and then Stone Vigil (the sub-50 leveling goes fast!)

replies mostly making me feel better though, so thanks :shobon:

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

DACK FAYDEN posted:

please, I crafted my own HQ. (well, when I hit 45 I just slammed AF in those slots because they're i50)

oh thank god no I'm not at pissvale yet, it was Brayflox and then Stone Vigil (the sub-50 leveling goes fast!)

replies mostly making me feel better though, so thanks :shobon:

At Brayfox, did you pull all 3 groups at the start? Because that would do it.

Stone Vigil is similar in that you can pull 3 groups that do excessive damage if everyone isn't overgeared.

EDit: Also, you can get DPS at that point that do not have an AOE attack. Which will make killing large groups take more time than you generally have to mitigate.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Offkorn posted:

At Brayfox, did you pull all 3 groups at the start? Because that would do it.

Stone Vigil is similar in that you can pull 3 groups that do excessive damage if everyone isn't overgeared.
Vigil I definitely did not, Brayflox I probably... are all three on the line to the goblin? If so yeah I did and that'll do it!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The swampy area of Brayflox can trip healers up, it has a lot of optional enemies so the damage potential is much higher for the party. Stone Vigil's first pull (the corridor with the dragon's breath into the room with all the wood beams) is a very common trouble point as well.

it's worth considering, especially with ARR dungeons, that even if the tank is wearing good gear, the healer might not be. The tank's gear is most important, but if the healer has an outdated weapon especially, it can make it much harder for them to keep up with big pulls.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've done a lot of tanking in FFXIV at all sorts of levels now (actually, to think about it, all of them now), and eating dirt during a pull is something that can just happen, sometimes, so I wouldn't think too much of it. I've had situations in Stone Vigil where I overpulled as well and went down before the healer could do anything. Most of the times other players won't care (or will blame themselves). As others have said, tanking is also much easier post level 50 because the walls are very well defined, with only a few exceptions I won't spoil for you.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tekopo posted:

As others have said, tanking is also much easier post level 50 because the walls are very well defined, with only a few exceptions I won't spoil for you.
I have three jobs at 90 :ssh:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Cephas posted:

The swampy area of Brayflox can trip healers up, it has a lot of optional enemies so the damage potential is much higher for the party. Stone Vigil's first pull (the corridor with the dragon's breath into the room with all the wood beams) is a very common trouble point as well.

it's worth considering, especially with ARR dungeons, that even if the tank is wearing good gear, the healer might not be. The tank's gear is most important, but if the healer has an outdated weapon especially, it can make it much harder for them to keep up with big pulls.

i think they actually reworked brayflox's big marshy room so it's just a straight corridor now. either that or i dreamed it, i can't actually remember the last time i had it pop in a roulette. the first room can be pretty nasty too tho and iirc some healers can get in there missing bits of their kit

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have three jobs at 90 :ssh:

Ok.. so other than Aurum Veil there are 3 dungeons that are likely to give you some problems if you wall to wall (spoilered for sprouts)

1) Bardam's Mettle , hardest hitting dungeon trash in the game...if you wall to wall this bad boy, specifically the first section you can easily run out of mit and the healers may not be ready for the level of healing you'll need.

2) Holminster Switch......hard hitting trash, and people who boost will have this as the highest level dungeon they can enter at the start of their career. On top of that this is where many Sage's start their journey so you'll get lots of boosters and new healers who don't know what they are doing yet, leading to the already dangerous trash hitting way above its weight class.

3) Mt Gulg This is the easiest of the above three, but there are some long pulls which can cause issues for healers and if DPS is poor the pulls can take longer than you might expect.

I'm not saying you shouldn't wall-to-wall them mind you, just you are more likely to wipe than in any other non-ARR dungeon, and it is nice to be aware of that.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 1, 2022

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

DACK FAYDEN posted:

is there a like "how to tank" guide, I've got Warrior at 45 and holy poo poo I keep eating poo poo constantly

two dungeons in a row I've died on the first pull despite slapping all my buttons like a madman and the healer goes "my bad"

is it just that they don't have ogcds sub-50 (and no Holy or anything)? am I pulling too big because I'm missing something I don't even know about yet? I just want to be an invincible golden god :(

Don't wall to wall until you know the healer is ok doing so, or looks like he can handle healing you, would be my advice. Especially sub-50 where gear can be wonky and sprouts unaware of what's happening in the dungeon.
Oh and of course don't break line of sight.
As a warrior you have thrill of the battle that can help with healing too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No offense intended friend, just making sure. It's like tech support, you wanna make sure the basics are covered before getting into the nitty gritty.

I've had multiple occasions where someone complained about how hard a dungeon or solo duty was where I asked them, "When's the last time you upgraded your gear?" and they realized it was 6-8 levels ago.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The only other thing on your side of the equation I can consider is when you say "slapping all my buttons like a madman", do you mean you were stacking mits? Because don't do that. Spread them out so they last the pull. If you start dying in spite of having a mitigation up, that's a healing issue. If packs don't die by the time you're out of mits and the healer's out of tricks, that's a DPS issue.

It's something you start to get a feel for as you level, and the higher level you get the easier it gets (especially once you get Raw Intuition at 56) aside from the three exceptions pointed out earlier.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

gently caress me dx 11 errors at start up nothing is working. It was fine before the update

E: bitching worked

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 1, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zanael posted:

Don't wall to wall until you know the healer is ok doing so, or looks like he can handle healing you, would be my advice. Especially sub-50 where gear can be wonky and sprouts unaware of what's happening in the dungeon.[...]
Definitely this.

And the first room of Brayflox has three groups, two are on the direct path to the goblin but you can get close enough to pull the third (guarding the door), that will absolutely mess with lowbie/unprepared healers. Even two are usually enough, there are a bunch of ranged mobs you might miss with reprisal or arm's length's slow to make matters worse. The swamp area is very streamlined now and doesn't let you randomly aggro half of it while trying to fight a single pack anymore.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

If you had a WHM in Brayflox, they also don't get regen until lv 35, and Brayflox is synced to 34. They would have to rely on Cure 2 to keep you alive. They were using cure 2, right?

I just remembered this one time in Dezemel when the sprout SCH only used physick and not adlo. I only noticed when we wiped the second time (the first time on the cliff doesn't count). I had to tell them to use adlo and lucid dreaming and it went swimmingly from there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DemoneeHo posted:

If you had a WHM in Brayflox, they also don't get regen until lv 35, and Brayflox is synced to 34. They would have to rely on Cure 2 to keep you alive. They were using cure 2, right?
This I can confidently say for sure, because I always notice when they use cure 1.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

DemoneeHo posted:

I just remembered this one time in Dezemel when the sprout SCH only used physick and not adlo. I only noticed when we wiped the second time (the first time on the cliff doesn't count). I had to tell them to use adlo and lucid dreaming and it went swimmingly from there.

Every now and again you may encounter a healer that insists on using Cure 1 because "it's faster". I even had the misfortune of encountering one during Alzadaal's Legacy once.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

gently caress me dx 11 errors at start up nothing is working. It was fine before the update

If there's anything I learned from Eureka Shout Chat while waiting for NM's to spawn, it's that bitching on the internet always works. :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DanielCross posted:

If there's anything I learned from Eureka Shout Chat while waiting for NM's to spawn, it's that bitching on the internet always works. :v:

It's true though. A pillar of troubleshooting is that the problem is often resolved immediately after you complain about it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zeruel posted:

doing the Moogle tribe quests. 50 rep per and they have you flying your rear end all over the churning mists? drat I wish I didn't need that card!

Yeah I had to take a break from Moogles doing the bloodsworn grind because of this. Didn't help that the moogles already gave out the good poo poo at this point and the story was finished.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Thundarr posted:

It's true though. A pillar of troubleshooting is that the problem is often resolved immediately after you complain about it.

And if you're the one supposed to solve it, explaining the problem out loud to someone or something elkse also works.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Another thing to consider when tanking ARR dungeons is that most jobs don't get AoE before level 40 so doing massive gigapulls isn't helpful in terms of efficiency because you're just going to have to dps them down one at a time anyway so you're better off doing chain pulls at those levels. Healers also don't get their AoE until 45 so if you're running with a WHM hoping for Holy spam to help with mitigation you'll have to wait until at least Darkhold when those spells become available

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A lot of the optional level 50 dungeons are easy to get overwhelmed in because they can have huge pulls and weird bosses and none of the jobs have enough buttons to press. I thought I didn't like/wasn't good at tanking but it turned out I just didn't like it below the HW levels

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
ARR dungeons are the wild west when it comes to being able to live through pulls. Sometimes you have someone who is fully geared and is just getting the dungeon in a roulette, other times they are leveling a class, have no right side gear and ilvl25

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh man PvP DRG has a real Jump, a real actual hang time-then-wallop Jump! I would give so much to have a proper Jump like this in PvE. It would instantly become my favorite DPS just like I'm quickly developing a preference for DRG on my PvP roulettes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

a cartoon duck posted:

if pf taught me anything, mch is actually vastly superior to brd and dnc because your rdps doesn't mean poo poo if the other three dps don't know what they're doing

I play Bard, can confirm. I was never pushing top parses at the best of times, but I've basically got my rotation as tight as I can (not that that's difficult, at least with how it fits into my brain; people picking it up seem to get overwhelmed by the number of timers even though you only have to deal with them every 40 seconds) and if I know the fight mechanics enough to stick to it my parses vary wildly depending on the rest of the party. My selfish-DPS MCH brother is much more consistent no matter what folks are doing. Take the player, not the job.

That said, they've said with the current uptime-friendly raid design they're going to bring down the melee/ranged damage divide and this patch looks like the first step there. I assume they're going to keep buffing caster and phys ranged bit by bit until they find what feels right, rather than stop here.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

TheWorldsaStage posted:

i get dx11 error crashes at startup if i alt tab after logging in but before entering the game world, i don't know why but hopefully this helps

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What is the ideal number of attacks you want to get in during that wildfire window?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Electric Phantasm posted:

What is the ideal number of attacks you want to get in during that wildfire window?

I think you get 6. 5 heatblasts, and then a regular GCD with a short animation (ie. not a tool.)

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think you get 6. 5 heatblasts, and then a regular GCD with a short animation (ie. not a tool.)

Problem is some of the Heated versions of your 1-2-3 combo get really long animations, too. I think the 3rd one is the worst for it. So probably make sure you're not mid combo when you decide to pop wildfire (probably a good idea anyway I'm assuming).

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol goddamnit i like Frontlines
my favorite thing is to take pot shots at people trying to take capture points
just over and over, frustrating their every attempt
do i get a kill? don't care
a long form 20 minute shitpost

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Arist posted:

An extra 20 potency per weaponskill for Wildfire (plus Heat Blast, which is also increasing by 20 potency per use) is huge, drat. Makes me wish playing on the East Coast didn't make trying to get 6 weaponskills in my Wildfire windows incredibly difficult!

Anyway, more immediately relevant to my main is the Empyreal Arrow buff. 30 extra potency every 15 seconds is legitimately massive, wow.

wait people can get 6 in on wildfire? drat, i never even attempt more than 5

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

wait people can get 6 in on wildfire? drat, i never even attempt more than 5

Ping and Skill speed are cruel mistresses.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Lightly annoyed at how much better dragoon is in frontlines than the other melees. Not even in a way that is overpowered, just in having a kit that doesn't bother me. Strong damage and a great limit break. Unlike ninja which has a great kit but a near worthless limit break in frontlines since the animation is so long you are nearly guaranteed to die if you use it at any time other than a rout. Or sam that has no escape. Or reaper who has a good limit break but a terrible kit. Or monk that sucks, I hate monk don't @ me about how good they actually are because I hate playing it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Question for the thread: do you see a world in which Dragoon's limit break from PvP could be ported to PvE in a balanced way? The key feature in my mind is the hang time where the player is untargetable. That's maybe the defining aspect of Jump in other FF titles. Also the hang time builds anticipation so it feels really cool.

I'm trying to think of why not, and my first thought is Dragoons going airborne to avoid mechanics. "Untargetable" being the key difference between what I want and what PvE DRG jumps are like, after all. I feel like that could be (A) balanced around by reducing Dragoon defenses otherwise in expectation that "PvP Jump" is a form of mitigation or (B) considered a non-issue because Dragoons would want to use "PvP Jump" on cooldown for sake of damage and so won't hold it to avoid mechanics.

I have yet to do PvE content where balance concerns are serious, though, so IDK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Question for the thread: do you see a world in which Dragoon's limit break from PvP could be ported to PvE in a balanced way?

No, sadly. For a point of comparison, NIN originally had something almost identical - Shade Shift was full physical immunity for a single hit ala Utsusemi in FFXI - and it got removed because of how impossibly hard it was to balance mechanics around it. Even if you compensated for it in some way, such as with lower defenses, the end result is still the same: every Savage raid group is 5 DRGs because they could no-sell mechanics in a way no other job can.