Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cippalippus posted:

The Touch screen is pretty lovely, that is true, but are there good, mainstream PC games where a touchscreen improves the experience? Honest question, I still haven't played with my deck much so far.
Same with the gyroscope thingy, seems cool but I don't know if I will ever end up using it.

Not that I've seen, it's useful in a pinch for desktop navigating but I don't want to ever touch the screen on a gaming handheld unless it has military grade fingerprint resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I picked up a stylus for point n click adventure games, but that idea fell apart pretty quickly. the only disappointing part of the deck, but the touchpads work well enough

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The touch screen is still just emulating a mouse and a lot of games don't really expect mice to be used the same way you'd expect a touch screen to work. Even point and clicks will have mouse overs and different gestures and things. Its the one kind of superfluous thing on there because the trackpads more than replace it in every circumstance, have not had the urge to touch the screen yet.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I keep forgetting the switch has a touch screen.

Other than when emulating a 3ds game or accepting an any desk connection to transfer files (which involves clicking an OK button) I've not found a need to touch the screen generally.

I suppose I could use it to type, though I've not really found the need to type that much either.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah, I only really use it for petting my dogs in Nintendogs, and occasionally for clicking and dragging in other games.

Also, has anyone got the microphone to work for any of the DS emulators? I found the white noise simulators, but a few of my games need actual words to be said and I can't get past that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Typing things out is the extent of my usage for the on screen keyboard. Even then, I've got a bluetooth and keyboard set up so I don't have to bother.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can type way the gently caress faster with the trackpads than trying to hunt and peck on the touchscreen

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

jokes posted:

Is there any danger updating to EmuDeck 2? I just dutifully update emulators via discovery, so

Commander Keene posted:

I haven't lost any data that I can find, but PS1 emulation has completely flaked out under the new updates, Duckstation won't even launch, and the PS1 cores in retroarch crash consistently.

Kin posted:

I keep forgetting the switch has a touch screen.

Other than when emulating a 3ds game or accepting an any desk connection to transfer files (which involves clicking an OK button) I've not found a need to touch the screen generally.

I suppose I could use it to type, though I've not really found the need to type that much either.
You can set up AnyDesk on the Deck to automatically accept incoming requests (and then set a password for security) and not have to touch the screen at all.

homeless snail posted:

You can type way the gently caress faster with the trackpads than trying to hunt and peck on the touchscreen
Yeah, I've gotten halfway decent with using the trackpads for typing and it's generally more comfortable than trying to use the touchscreen, the only problems are the Y, H, and B keys are in a spot that's not really comfortable to hit from either trackpad, you're at the very edge of the pad no matter which one you use.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I've gotten halfway decent with using the trackpads for typing and it's generally more comfortable than trying to use the touchscreen, the only problems are the Y, H, and B keys are in a spot that's not really comfortable to hit from either trackpad, you're at the very edge of the pad no matter which one you use.
There's an acceleration setting somewhere that I suggest turning up a tick, so rather than each trackpad being half the keyboard and a lot of keys being at the very edge, there's a bit of overlap in the middle where you can hit keys comfortably with either thumb.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MP9d3aSwM8

I get the criticism of the Steam Input UI honestly

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 1, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

tater_salad posted:

not Staning, not sponsored, not affiliate link.
This is a nice upgrade to the Steam Deck official case. I can't speak for longevity but it sure is nice to have my charger and Bluetooth earbuds for it actually IN something instead of relying an an elastic band that will end up stretched out.

There's a ton of these out there and they're probably all the exact same. I was particularly worried since this is 100% a product swap to keep good reviews since some folks mention a battery, AND it came with a lithium ion sticker on the box.
But @ 15-19 USD + 30% off currently it was cheap enough to gamble on.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083GGSM4L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I find it funny that this is classified under Amazon as an Intellivision accessory. :classiclol:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Welp I caved and bought a steam deck. For now I’m going to try to use SD cards instead of upgrading the internal storage but may opt to do that later on. Do y’all swap SD cards for different setups, I.e. emulation?

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I got mine last week and I have been meaning to post. I love it and while it has it's flaws the deck is absolutely perfect for me.

Hopefully xbox 360 emulation will pick up and I think it will be everything I need.

Thanks to all of you in here for the awesome posts and guides. I love all you goons almost as much as I love my Deck.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Got my second one now, in awe of this customer service experience, I just said it was taking a while and they sent me a second £500 device for nothing. Insanity.
Now I have the world's most expensive largest DS

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

So RuneFactory 5 doesn’t seem to register the steam decks controls even when set in the settings and Gedonia doesn’t go past the loading screens.

Not sure what’s up with the last one there as it should be working it just hangs at a loading screen for me

Gedonia will eventually load after 3-4 minutes.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

So how does one delete the proton cache when you uninstall a game?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lord Lambeth posted:

So how does one delete the proton cache when you uninstall a game?
You have to look up the app id on SteamDB (e.g., Sackboy is 1599660). Then open up the file manager and delete the ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/(app id) folder (Wine prefix) for anything that runs under Proton, and ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/(app id) folder for the shader cache.

LInux-native games can also put crap in ~/.cache, ~/.config, ~/.local/share, or really anywhere in your home dir. But usually that's all small and you really only need to hunt it down if you're trying to wipe a config file or something.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

I use this:
https://github.com/scawp/Steam-Deck.Shader-Cache-Killer

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

This works really well, thanks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does that not ever clear itself out?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Velvet Elvis posted:

Gedonia will eventually load after 3-4 minutes.

Oh drat really? I thought it had just hung at the loading screen. I will give it another shot. Thanks!

As a side note I just ordered a few of these for my deck and iPad.

People in the ali express thread said they work really well. I always kinda worry about yanking the cable when I’m playing while it’s charging.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Does that not ever clear itself out?
Probably not, they should add a UI option to delete them when uninstalling a game.

You shouldn't need to hold onto compatdata between installs if cloud saves are working properly. Although in-game graphics preferences are usually stored in a different config file, so keeping this around avoids having to reconfigure games. It is a few hundred MB though for every Proton-based game you install, so it can add up quickly.

The shadercache is a misnomer. On a typical PC it would just be a cache of compiled shaders, but on the Deck those are preserved and crowd-sourced across devices to avoid compilation stutter, but that means they can grow quite large in some games. I'm curious if they do any long-term purging of old shaders if a game update ends up changing the shader code and old versions are no longer used.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I've mostly used my Deck for PSone/SNES/GBA roms so far and I've been getting a lot of mileage out of it. As soon as I can afford it I'm going to buy Tactics Ogre: Reborn and Triangle Strategy so I can get my S/TRPG fix.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The most popular steam games on the deck are vampire survivors, elden ring, and cyberpunk 2077

I imagine that "emulators" are what's actually played the most on the deck.

That and Crystal Project.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jokes posted:

The most popular steam games on the deck are vampire survivors, elden ring, and cyberpunk 2077

three GOATs... figures

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CP2077 runs surprisingly not like garbage somehow. It’s impressive, really.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
So i have one specific third party wired xbox contoller that when i connect it to my deck the right trigger doesn't function at all. Every other button is fine. I thought i'd dropped it and broken something but theres no issues when connected to anything else. I also have other wired controllers that don't have this issue at all.

Connected to an anker usb C dock, no clue where to even start with troubleshooting this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gonna get me an SD card big enough to set up Switch emulation (it is $8.50 for one on Amazon) and give that a shot. There's some Switch games I would never pay money for but might try pirating. Bomberman, the Fate beatemup, etc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

all that optimisation they did to get it "working" on the Xbox One finally paid off

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m giving Cyberpunk another go around on my steam deck remote played from my PS5 and it seems like they at the very least fixed the really broken poo poo if not added the other 75% of the game’s mechanics they originally showed off

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m giving Cyberpunk another go around on my steam deck remote played from my PS5 and it seems like they at the very least fixed the really broken poo poo if not added the other 75% of the game’s mechanics they originally showed off

it runs really well on PS5 and Series X. It's a great game

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it runs really well on PS5 and Series X. It's a great game

I played the PS4 version at launch on my PS5 and it crashed every 2 hours like clockwork until they patched it, then it crashed every 90 minutes like clockwork.

The best stuff is still all frontloaded and nothing after the heist is as good as the stuff that came before it, but it’s a lot more enjoyable now it’s not making GBS threads the bed constantly at least.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I played the PS4 version at launch on my PS5 and it crashed every 2 hours like clockwork until they patched it, then it crashed every 90 minutes like clockwork.

The best stuff is still all frontloaded and nothing after the heist is as good as the stuff that came before it, but it’s a lot more enjoyable now it’s not making GBS threads the bed constantly at least.

I finished the launch game on my PS4 pro and it crashed more times than every other game I've played on PS4 combined. Worst console game for crashes I've played since New Vegas on PS3. It was worth it though, some of the later stuff with the band was great.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The fact the steam deck can play cp77 but the ps4 can't is really hilarious to me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The PS4 can play it

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Color me surprised, I'd once played it on an old laptop at 1080p at otherwise lowest settings and it looked and ran like poo poo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The PS4 can play it

Can play and can play well are separate things. The ps4 is barely playable

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's fine now tbh.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The fact the steam deck can play cp77 but the ps4 can't is really hilarious to me
The Deck has some architectural advantages over the PS4. They're "roughly equivalent" in power, but the differences may well be in areas the PS4 is weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, here's something I've been thinking of; with the deck, at least for now being a kind of performance 'platform' for PC, meaning it has certain specs and the vast majority of users haven't opened their decks up, what do you all think will happen with future releases?

As you know, usually in PC games, devs make the game maybe to match the specs of the current console generation, but overall, the better your PC, the better the performance. Do you think AAA devs might start tailoring new games for the deck, meaning that the quality would be more scalable than it would be otherwise? If millions of people have (insert standard Steam Deck specs here), maybe upcoming AAA titles (like the Bethesda space game, or even Elder Scrolls 6) will be designed to work well on Steam decks.

I might not being explaining myself properly, but maybe you know what I'm talking about?