Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

ukmt's favourite poster referred to himself as high-impact and engaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

There's also the wider influence of D&D, with stuff like Record of Lodoss War, which was basically a serialized transcript of some writers and artists playing a D&D campaign that got turned into an influential anime that's been adapted to games and other mediums to hell and back. And of course, the Souls series, which was inspired by reading old D&D books in a language the director couldn't understand, pouring over the illustrations and knitting together a story in his head.

Bubble-era Japan liked western fantasy so much, they basically made their own version. And it worked out pretty well!

no I'm pretty sure it was some trans person meme magic

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

EorayMel posted:

post the PMs

The forums cannot handle that level of cringe. They would collapse in upon themselves.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Literally A Person posted:

The forums cannot handle that level of cringe. They would collapse in upon themselves.

Yet they haven't collapsed from your posts

:grin:

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Stux posted:

turkeys are even better at it!!!!!!

turkeys own. They used to walk through my back yard at an old house and it was fun to watch them dino around

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
You know what probably did collapse though?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

The forums endured worse than Derpies' rumored PM outbursts.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

EorayMel posted:

You know what probably did collapse though?

the fact that grover has to deal with random-rear end internet zoomers taking pictures of his house now makes me feel bad for him, even though he undoubtedly sucks. He should be left alone with his insulated stairs

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

EorayMel posted:

Yet they haven't collapsed from your posts

:grin:

*me fighting the forums in a boxing match but it's personified as a boxing robot and I'm just making less and less coherent 'your mother' jokes*

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I don't think he lives there anymore

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Kins posted:

There's also the wider influence of D&D, with stuff like Record of Lodoss War, which was basically a serialized transcript of some writers and artists playing a D&D campaign that got turned into an influential anime that's been adapted to games and other mediums to hell and back. And of course, the Souls series, which was inspired by reading old D&D books in a language the director couldn't understand, pouring over the illustrations and knitting together a story in his head.

Bubble-era Japan liked western fantasy so much, they basically made their own version. And it worked out pretty well!

The Souls games were influenced heavily by the prior King's Field game, and I don't know if Miyazaki specified if he read a lot of D&D books, but he certainly had a variety of games he liked reading through. He's acknowledged in interviews he loves the old Dragon's Pass board game and considers that an inspiration for the Souls series. Dragon's Pass is interesting because it's part of a shared fictional setting called Glorantha, which itself is an influential early tabletop gaming setting that was intentionally designed to be distinct from D&D.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i wonder if "house is a meme and random youtubers will try to make content there" shows up on a home inspection

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Yeah Grover moved out of the haus years ago.

Before creeps started "checking on it" I think even.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I read the original Groverhaus thread for the first time a few months back and what surprised me most was that there wasn't a single negative post in it. When/where did it actually attain its notoriety?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

aw frig aw dang it posted:

the fact that grover has to deal with random-rear end internet zoomers taking pictures of his house now makes me feel bad for him, even though he undoubtedly sucks. He should be left alone with his insulated stairs

I think grover sold the haus a long time ago. Now it's presumably owned by normal people and I absolutely feel bad for them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i wanna say it was part of the whole "worst D&D poster"/WDDP thread

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Content created from hiding in someone's hedges.

Seems bad.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

and I don't know if Miyazaki specified if he read a lot of D&D books, but he certainly had a variety of games he liked reading through.
Went to get sources, but all I can find is that he was reading a lot of unspecified English-language fantasy and sci-fi at the library, with illustrations to pour over. Not sure why I specifically remembered that as D&D, so I'll take that L.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think grover sold the haus a long time ago. Now it's presumably owned by normal people and I absolutely feel bad for them.

ugh yes that's much worse

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Kins posted:

Went to get sources, but all I can find is that he was reading a lot of unspecified English-language fantasy and sci-fi at the library, with illustrations to pour over. Not sure why I specifically remembered that as D&D, so I'll take that L.

"Hints of Miyazaki's non-video game interests are spread around his office, which we spotted during a tour of From Software. A handful of Magic: The Gathering cards are scattered across his table. A Dungeons & Dragons paperback guide is wedged underneath a computer monitor. A copy of the Lovecraftian board game Arkham Horror sits next to dozens of other table-top games. For anyone who has fought one of the Souls series' many dragons or battled Cthulu-like monstrosities in Bloodborne, Miyazaki's personal collections come as no surprise."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...zaki.aspx%3famp

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth
the problem with wondering why ducks aren't kept free range is that ducks domesticated for thousands of years are traditionally kept free range

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Kins posted:

It's okay, I mean, if he's enough of a turbo nerd to be into Glorantha and sword and sorcery lit like Conan, I'm sure he poured over D&D books he could find, too. I just remember him specifically gushing about Dragon's Pass and how the Craigspider in that influenced the design of a boss in DS1.

It's actually really fun to dig into the history of game development and influences, which really just makes the conspiracy crafting more :psyduck:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's also been a ton of writing done specifically about JRPGs and western RPGs of the same era because they're so influential lol. you don't need to invent some fantasy in your head there's like, books about it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main point is that rpgs are epic

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's a lot of effort to get internet clout.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bongmaster posted:

the problem with wondering why ducks aren't kept free range is that ducks domesticated for thousands of years are traditionally kept free range

Yeah there's lots of ducks kept free range. In fact, I'm thinking of eating some for lunch.

OK, I actually don't know if they're free range or not, I'm just really hungry for some Chinese duck.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alhazred posted:

That's a lot of effort to get internet clout.

I would not put it past a goon to try to buy the Groverhaus for internet clout.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I would not put it past a goon to try to buy the Groverhaus for internet clout.

There literally is no other reason to buy that house.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’ve got a Retroid pocket 3 coming in the mail today and I expect my RPG playing activity to increase tenfold

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth
ancient rpg makers making a comeback with crap like tides of numenera ftw

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’ve got a Retroid pocket 3 coming in the mail today and I expect my RPG playing activity to increase tenfold

it's so good. playing ff6 on a lightweight pocket device ftw

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Larry Parrish posted:

there's also been a ton of writing done specifically about JRPGs and western RPGs of the same era because they're so influential lol. you don't need to invent some fantasy in your head there's like, books about it.

But those don't validate the existence of a person like me who made all the things I like, and thus by extension does not validate me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Famethrowa posted:

it's so good. playing ff6 on a lightweight pocket device ftw

Playing RPGs on a handheld just feels right tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have ff6 on my vita..... What a device

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Playing RPGs on a handheld just feels right tbh

this, finally put OG ff7 on my switch and it rules

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

bongmaster posted:

ancient rpg makers making a comeback with crap like tides of numenera ftw

I loved numenara torment unironically. Scratched my planescape itch, destroyed all existence by being an insufferable facts and logic techbro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CountryMatters posted:

I loved numenara torment unironically. Scratched my planescape itch, destroyed all existence by being an insufferable facts and logic techbro

It's not an awful game, imo, but you can see the seams in the patchwork. I liked the world and some of the companion questlines, but there was also a lot of unnecessary fluff in flowery language, especially when a certain someone was responsible for the quest.