Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
To be fair it's also not clear that there will be a non-ad-free version of Twitter after next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Elon really needs to be careful, he's starting to give the rich a bad name. :sigh:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Guys, it seems like Elon Musk might just be rich because his parents owned several diamond mines and he was friends with the guys who made Paypal and may not be an actual business genius.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE
Roe and Casey both 100% smack of legislating from the bench and gave the right fertile grounds to bitch and moan, and were really eyebrow raising at the time and have always been treated as shaky even from left-leaning jurisprudential perspectives. The “trimester” test in Roe and the “undue burden” test in Casey both seem like they are just trying to pay lip service to Christian thoughts on when life begins and in doing so put the whole Constitutional analysis on shaky ground by trying to strike a compromise to begin with. Bitch boy Kavanaugh spent most of his concurrence harping on Casey and Alito basically just said Casey didn’t give enough cred to the unborn life and put his thumb on the scale to obliterate that test.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Not saying I’m cheering Elon for killing Twitter but I’m glad the worst people are angry fighting each other for now.

The only way to improve Twitter is to nationalize it, which means it would be best to just let it die.

Yawgmoft posted:

That RvW is actually a "bad decision " that "everyone agrees is bad" is actually just more right wing propaganda that some people have accidentally consumed and now regurgitate.

Exactly. It’s great when people say something loving dumb like “the decision was shaky back then” because it’s usually further evidence that those who claim they are the left to republicans are actually supportive of republicans.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 1, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

WSJ article saying that banks had intended to fund the lending by selling debt to third-party investors right away, but rising interest rates and other problems with Twitter have made third-party buyers skittish of investing in Twitter's debt. During the April deal when they finalized financing, they provided an estimate that they would unload all of the debt onto third-party buyers by the time the sale was finalized. Now, they have to keep all the debt on their books for at least a year (which freezes out their ability to invest elsewhere) because if they sold now, it would be for a huge loss and is well below the estimate they had in April.

Banks are now planning on ways to cut the debt and bonds up into smaller and less profitable chunks to be able to unload it since the original timeline for the sale of debt and recapitalization is completely blown now.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musks-twitter-takeover-debt-to-be-held-by-banks-amid-turbulent-markets-11666377716

yeah that's not quite what you posted

what Musk has agreed to do is (a) pay interest at a specified rate; (b) pay the bonds back on the maturity date; and (c) some cooperation poo poo in helping the banks syndicate the debt. if musk breaches (a) or (b) the debt is in default. he definitely hasn't done that; or said he will be.

but musk did not promise the banks would be able to syndicate the debt. the banks got paid fat fees to underwrite this debt and potentially be on the hook (like they are now). that is basically their value-add here: once they signed on the dotted line, they took the risk of finding suckers to unload this debt on.

them being unable to sell the debt to a third party doesn't mean musk is in default and can't pay the coupon. it means that (with interest rates rising) the interest rate offered is unattractive to buyers and (with twitter being a garbage fire) the collateral offered is unattractive to buyers. so if the banks want to sell the debt to a new sucker, they have to sell it at a discount. if I sell a twitter bond at 80 cents on the dollar to you, twitter is still (theoretically) going to pay you the full face value when it matures. that extra 20 cents is essentially extra interest you demanded to hold the bond - but I funded it, not twitter.

basically: the banks made a monumental gently caress-up. they would kind of like it if Musk defaulted now - they could probably sell all of twitter for enough to cover their debt. but musk is not defaulting on the debt, they just have debt at an unattractive interest rate, that people think has a risk of being unable to pay the principal back on the maturity date.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Elon wanted to be known as a steward and benefactor of society and the monkey's paw curls now that Twitter is his.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The largest advertising manager of Twitter ads for major corporations is now recommending all of its clients suspend their advertising on Twitter. Another major source of revenue completely dried up for an unknown amount of time - and possibly permanently.

https://twitter.com/Ryanbarwick/status/1587430944448864258
https://twitter.com/followtheh/status/1587456947820941313

i wonder if the correspondence with musk's "deal is temporarily on hold" nonsense is intentional

i doubt it is, but i hope it is

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Can we all agree to just collectively ignore anyone that frequently makes this precise facial expression? It seems to be related to really dumb people that believe they are the smartest people in the world.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

by the way

i want to remind people that while elon musk sunk about 30b of his own money into this tire fire, he's not the only shitlord who is about to lose a large chunk of their net worth

jack dorsey looked at his right to convert his share of twitter into a billion united states dollars, looked at elon musk, and said "i'll let it ride" and kept his twitter stock

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I know the term Dunning Kruger get's thrown around a lot lately but I would fully support Elon Musk changing his name to Dunning Kruger right now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or just start calling it the Elon Musk effect

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
So...it seems like publicly Musk has been calling for twitter to loosen moderation, while they're at the same time telling advertisers that moderation policies haven't changed

Wonder how this one is going to pan out.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Guys, it seems like Elon Musk might just be rich because his parents owned several diamond mines and he was friends with the guys who made Paypal and may not be an actual business genius.

Emerald mine, if I recall.

Possible Slytherin/dark wizard connection.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cranappleberry posted:

Emerald mine, if I recall.

Possible Slytherin/dark wizard connection.

You're right. It was an emerald mine they owned originally, but they got in trouble because they had a diamond and other gemstone exporting business that was accused of being involved in conflict diamonds.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Levitate posted:

So...it seems like publicly Musk has been calling for twitter to loosen moderation, while they're at the same time telling advertisers that moderation policies haven't changed

Wonder how this one is going to pan out.

So far, they've kept the moderation policies the same, but vastly reduced the number of active moderators.

https://twitter.com/jackiedavalos1/status/1587260948938719232
https://twitter.com/yoyoel/status/1587290210530127872
Yes, that's right, all of Twitter currently has fewer active mods than Something Awful does, supposedly because Elon is concerned about "insider risk" from the workers he promised to lay off and the departments he's threatened to shutter.

Additionally, Twitter's head mod is saying that while the policies themselves haven't changed, the way in which they're enforced will be changed:
https://twitter.com/yoyoel/status/1587230935405105153

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I hope running Twitter gives Elon the anxiety-fueled wet shits the rest of his life - he clearly has no idea what he’s doing running a social media company. It’s clearly a play to get more attention since that’s his love language.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yes, data like "everybody noticed the rate of N-words spiked overnight"

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Main Paineframe posted:

So far, they've kept the moderation policies the same, but vastly reduced the number of active moderators.

Yes, that's right, all of Twitter currently has fewer active mods than Something Awful does, supposedly because Elon is concerned about "insider risk" from the workers he promised to lay off and the departments he's threatened to shutter.

Additionally, Twitter's head mod is saying that while the policies themselves haven't changed, the way in which they're enforced will be changed:

twitter: 15 mods
this specific web subforum: 14 mods

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Craig K posted:

twitter: 15 mods
this specific web subforum: 14 mods

Quick! Someone make me a mod so we can be just as good as Twitter at moderation!

Pretty sure we're still better than Twitter when it comes to mods actually doing something, and for the love of God don't make me a mod.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
That's a pretty classic play.

"Ending moderation? Don't be ridiculous. We still have a dedicated moderation team and believe in our corporate oversight guidelines"

*reduced moderation to effectively nothing*

That way the bad-faith idiots and assholes can go "well technically...." till the end of time.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Hollywood Reporter says that Twitter is in danger of losing the 89% of its revenue that comes from organized ad buyers and "devolving into another Truth Social or Parler" that "may be stuck cutting deals with MyPillow and collectible gold coin sellers, a visible reminder of $44 billion washed away."

Most of the major advertisers on Twitter have committed to a pause in advertising, but are willing to come back if they don't think it will damage their brand or there is a demonstration that it is profitable to advertise there. So, it's not sunk yet. But, if most of the advertisers stay out and the new verified subscription plan doesn't pan out, then Twitter is going to need drastic changes right away to maintain operating costs.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1587499785912610816

thinkin real hard about Target? eBay? whoever it was who accidentally cut their internet ad budget for a few months and saw almost no change in their metrics when they found out about it. Big CEO Musk slitting his own throat through shitposting, lol

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Yoel definitely trying their best here to weasel word it. Locking down access to internal configuration tools during a transfer isn't that weird, especially with it being this contentious. But the assumption there is that the majority of those workers will also be laid off soon and moderation swung open since Elon keeps saying that's what he wants. The response there from Yoel kind of just slides past all the obvious assumptions folks are making.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

idiotsavant posted:

thinkin real hard about Target? eBay? whoever it was who accidentally cut their internet ad budget for a few months and saw almost no change in their metrics when they found out about it. Big CEO Musk slitting his own throat through shitposting, lol

Eh I suspect that he's gonna make some promises and they'll come back and advertise. They just want reassurance.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, was kind of getting at the idea that he's trying to tell advertisers that moderation hasn't changed on one hand but actually changing the effective moderation on the other

Which seems dumb when it's all out there and public and advertisers can go "yeah but what about this"

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Well, looks like the brown coats got the message.

A Democratic Candidate Was Beaten and Knocked Unconscious at His Home

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

by the way

i want to remind people that while elon musk sunk about 30b of his own money into this tire fire, he's not the only shitlord who is about to lose a large chunk of their net worth

jack dorsey looked at his right to convert his share of twitter into a billion united states dollars, looked at elon musk, and said "i'll let it ride" and kept his twitter stock

Wasn't that the correct play? Musk bought all the stock above market value and then took it public, so Jack is completely cashed out unless I missed something.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

I think it was Uber?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Jaxyon posted:

Eh I suspect that he's gonna make some promises and they'll come back and advertise. They just want reassurance.

Maybe. On the other hand, what percentage of advertising was done by major automotive companies? You know, direct competitors to another of Musk's companies?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Wasn't that the correct play? Musk bought all the stock above market value and then took it public, so Jack is completely cashed out unless I missed something.

He rolled over and now has a private stake.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Yawgmoft posted:

Wasn't that the correct play? Musk bought all the stock above market value and then took it public private, so Jack is completely cashed out unless I missed something.

Cashing out would have been the correct play, but from the sounds of it Jack did not, and retained his Twitter stock instead - similar to the Saudis.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Cashing out would have been the correct play, but from the sounds of it Jack did not, and retained his Twitter stock instead - similar to the Saudis.

The Saudis were invested in Twitter as well? In that case it makes sense. What are you going to do? Cut and run and piss off old Bonesaw for a few extra bil?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't know if that's true, but it is irrelevant because the Dobbs decision is insane and is driven by a desire to ban abortion, not if Roe was imperfect.

Exactly this. They started off with the answer they wanted and worked backwards. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing lots more shadow docket shenanigans as well as the conservatives having an idea of how things should be regardless of what the constitution says and just coming up with something. The supereme court justices being unelected and having lifetime appointments is a huge detriment to pretty much every reasonable person that isn't governed by religious beliefs in this country.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yawgmoft posted:

No he declined the $54.20 and kept the equity in musk-owned twitter

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cgeq posted:

The Saudis were invested in Twitter as well? In that case it makes sense. What are you going to do? Cut and run and piss off old Bonesaw for a few extra bil?

Considering that billion dollar interest on the loans Musk took out from them, they getting more off the interest than they'd ever get from Twitter. And if Twitter goes belly up, they lose nothing and potentially get a hold on Tesla.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

cgeq posted:

Jack has zero obligation to the Saudis. And while yeah, a bunch of these guys are all billionaires a lot of it is made-up money - if you tried to sell your $40 billion of Tesla stock for $40 billion actual real dollars you're going to run into some issues. This was an opportunity to get full face value for his stock at an inflated price, it is absolutely the moment you cash out as fast as possible.

Young Freud posted:

Considering that billion dollar interest on the loans Musk took out from them, they getting more off the interest than they'd ever get from Twitter. And if Twitter goes belly up, they lose nothing and potentially get a hold on Tesla.

The Saudis aren't getting poo poo in interest; they didn't loan him any money. They're just keeping their 2?-ish billion dollar stake in Twitter. If Twitter is worth more (lololol) in the future they make money; if Twitter "goes belly up" they lose their 2 billion-ish dollars.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 1, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

evilweasel posted:

It’s morons all the way down

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

evilweasel posted:

What a loving moron.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Has anyone suggested to Elon that he charge a one time fee for registration, and then charge users for options like changing their profile picture and the ability to message other users? Seems like a business model with some track record of success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

What did firefly fans ever do to you?

Not to :actually: but he got knocked out after he *tackled* the suspect on his driveway. Still hosed up that he was being harassed at 5am but the headline makes it sound like they broke in and beat him up. Still got some time on our Weimar speedrun