Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They aren’t going to go out of their way to target a niche handheld pc that will make up a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of the userbase.

They’ll probably ship with a “steam deck” settings option like some games already are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If games are selling on the Deck they'll make sure low settings can manage at least 30fps and support 1280x800 resolution, but I doubt it's going to change much. I don't even expect most devs to test how their game works with Proton.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, here's something I've been thinking of; with the deck, at least for now being a kind of performance 'platform' for PC, meaning it has certain specs and the vast majority of users haven't opened their decks up, what do you all think will happen with future releases?

As you know, usually in PC games, devs make the game maybe to match the specs of the current console generation, but overall, the better your PC, the better the performance. Do you think AAA devs might start tailoring new games for the deck, meaning that the quality would be more scalable than it would be otherwise? If millions of people have (insert standard Steam Deck specs here), maybe upcoming AAA titles (like the Bethesda space game, or even Elder Scrolls 6) will be designed to work well on Steam decks.

I might not being explaining myself properly, but maybe you know what I'm talking about?

It's a nice idea but I think more people have big stinky gpus they want to stretch out than steam decks are out there and why do things different than they were previously doing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol at the idea of Bethesda optimising a game for anything ever

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think the steam deck is high profile enough that it'll have some affect industry-wise.

How much is impossible to say.

edit: devs going back to fix old games is probably unlikely but perhaps moving forward the steam deck could be a target

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 1, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think the steam deck is high profile enough that it'll have some affect industry-wise.

Game devs are screaming in anguish about having to support a system with a way bigger userbase than the Deck right now. The general attitude among the industry seems to be they never want to support lower level hardware any longer than they have to.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Also lol if you think the industry is just AAA games and nothing else.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You're talking about the Switch though, which requires it's own version of a game to be made, optimized and maintained for it, a "Steam Deck" build of a game is the same PC release they were already going to put out and doesn't require any extra dev time unless they purposefully go in there to do so.

Also most games are not AAA titles that require the bleeding edge of horsepower and most people, according to Steam surveys, are running a GTX1060 or something. The Deck is definitely a target devs can aim for.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You are all wildly overestimating the market impact of a niche toy for turbonerds

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

sigher posted:

You're talking about the Switch though

No I'm talking about the Xbox Series S.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think you are wildly underestimating it outside the grasp of some of the very very big boys that there aren’t that many of

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Lord Lambeth posted:

edit: devs going back to fix old games is probably unlikely but perhaps moving forward the steam deck could be a target

Well it has a lot of goodwill, and optimizing for it's hardware is pretty straightforward already, no special code necessary. Valve somehow didn't completely screw up it's launch, a notable thing in the industry, and as the word spreads from early adopters it's gonna be pretty ubiquitous.

I feel like it's a big win for everyone involved, this time including the linux community. People can get a reasonably priced hardware that's well built and open. Game devs can target it easy, no strings attached, no devkits or licensing necessary.

There's a lot to like for everyone but other tech giants who are already rolling out their handhelds.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

History Comes Inside! posted:

You are all wildly overestimating the market impact of a niche toy for turbonerds

But enough about video games.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
Doesn't even Sonys new flagship title still come out on PS4 (God of War Ragnarok)?

I think as long as the PS4 generation still gets served, the steam deck will be fine performance wise since basically every big game is multiplatform. And multiplatform also means controller support. So there'll probably be a lot of Steam Deck compatible games in the future, even if the compatibility is just a happy accident.

Hell i use mine to play XCom 2 with better performance than the ps4 version on a ps5...

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

They already made tv shows about times when this statement was accurate, and the kid actors cast in those are now adults living off royalties.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The most I'd expect is games autodetecting they're running on a deck and loading a preset config based on that. Maybe some studios will include the deck in their QA process and attempt to meet the deck verified requirements just so they can get a nice check mark on Steam.

Actual fundamental changes to game development? No chance, at least for now. Deck users are tiny user base.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm going to make the wild out there prediction that the impact on the industry will be somewhere between nothing and something.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dr Sun Try posted:

Doesn't even Sonys new flagship title still come out on PS4 (God of War Ragnarok)?

I think as long as the PS4 generation still gets served, the steam deck will be fine performance wise since basically every big game is multiplatform. And multiplatform also means controller support. So there'll probably be a lot of Steam Deck compatible games in the future, even if the compatibility is just a happy accident.

Hell i use mine to play XCom 2 with better performance than the ps4 version on a ps5...

Not only is it coming out on PS4, from reviews it seems like they targeted at least the Pro and used the PS5 for some FPS and a few graphical benefits, but not the faster loading and such.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lord Lambeth posted:

Also lol if you think the industry is just AAA games and nothing else.

Just to clarify, this isn't what I think; I only mentioned AAA titles because those are more likely to be the games that push system requirements.

I have a feeling I'll be able to play indie games on my deck for years and years, until the system itself breaks somehow.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steam Deck support does not seem like a huge deal for most games. I have yet to find anything that just straight up won't run on it, though I have found some where the controls aren't really usable. If your game already is coming on Steam and has controller support it seems like Deck support is doable with little extra effort.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

njsykora posted:

Game devs are screaming in anguish about having to support a system with a way bigger userbase than the Deck right now.
That's just one guy and he's even wrong about it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Started playing Darkest Dungeon 2 on the Deck through the Heroic Launcher. Its finally in a playable state, as before it had a bunch of weird graphical issues happen before. Now to get lost in it till Midnight Son's comes out in December.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

They aren’t going to go out of their way to target a niche handheld pc that will make up a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of the userbase.
The Deck is architecturally fairly modern and comparable to the Series S. GPU-wise it's proportionally equivalent or better performance at the 800p target. Its weakness is the CPU, which has half the cores of the Series S and CPU demand doesn't directly scale with output resolution either. Games that tend to peg the CPU (perhaps due to optimization issues) like Gotham Knights or A Plague Tale: Requiem have trouble running on the Deck and both are "officially" (as in, Steam verified) unsupported, though both can be made to run with sufficient tweaking.

Thing is, unlike consoles, PCs are very heterogeneous hardware-wise and the mark of a good PC port is the ability to scale down in both CPU and GPU demands to run on older systems. Sure there's going to be minimum requirements, but developers are still incentived to offer scale-down knobs so they can reach an larger portion of the market.

In that sense I do think "can we make this run on Deck?" will be a regularly asked question as it is a fairly popular PC "model" and so if you can make the reach to run on Deck then you know your audience now includes an additional million potential users. Plus Valve is promoting it heavily and Deck verified is a prominent badge on Steam store pages.

I do think as we move beyond cross-gen console titles we'll see storage performance being the new "brick wall" and if you can't sustain NVMe rates on your system then you won't be able to run new titles at all. Fortunately 2/3 of Deck models ship with NVMe disks and the third is upgradable, so there's that.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 2, 2022

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried hot poo poo golf fore? It runs for me at like 5fps

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Anecdotally, I've seen a good half dozen indie games I own post excited news updates specifically about attaining either Verified or Playable status on the steam deck. There's been some AAA publishers who've come out of the gate verified but I expect it to affect indies way more. (Even one fairly old game, Super Amazing Wagon Adventure, just updated to fix an issue with Steam Deck/Proton specifically where it wasn't playing sound.)

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
My left joystick doesn’t feel smooth anymore. It’s semi scraping when pushed up and feels rough when rotating along the top half of the joystick zone. Anyone else had anything like this?

Can I put a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil in there or is that a very bad idea cause you know electronics lol. It’s just bad enough to be super annoying. Particularly in vampire survivor.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

worms butthole guy posted:

Has anyone tried hot poo poo golf fore?

no but I desperately want to

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Outside of like League of Legends and Runescape, PC gaming in general is niche, or at least the smallest of all of the gaming platforms.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just ordered one. Look forward to joining the thread and figuring out the best way to use the thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just ordered one. Look forward to joining the thread and figuring out the best way to use the thing.

To play games op

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

the thing just crashed a game then stopped recognizing the sd card. i did the basic fix, shutdown remove card boot and reinsert card, didn't work. then tried to shut down again and it's just showing the deck logo forever. hmm.

second fix: desktop mode, steam - settings - steam folders - add sd card. it sees the card and that it's mostly full but doesn't recognize the games installed on it.

those are the only two fixes i googled up, any other ideas?

edit: did step 1 again and it's working now.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 2, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Disappointing Pie posted:

My left joystick doesn’t feel smooth anymore. It’s semi scraping when pushed up and feels rough when rotating along the top half of the joystick zone. Anyone else had anything like this?

Can I put a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil in there or is that a very bad idea cause you know electronics lol. It’s just bad enough to be super annoying. Particularly in vampire survivor.

Oil wouldn't hurt it, but it won't do anything. It's not the joystick mechanism, it's the plastic of the stick wearing away against the black plastic of the body. If you look under the top of the stick you'll see the plastic wearing down. If you spin the left stick in circles you'll probably only feel it at the top if you play a lot of first or third person titles.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sigher posted:

Oil wouldn't hurt it, but it won't do anything. It's not the joystick mechanism, it's the plastic of the stick wearing away against the black plastic of the body. If you look under the top of the stick you'll see the plastic wearing down. If you spin the left stick in circles you'll probably only feel it at the top if you play a lot of first or third person titles.

Are there a lot of second-person titles out there?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I should have said 3D titles since you always push the sticks up to move forward, I'm high ok.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

More than OK, friend!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

tater_salad posted:

not Staning, not sponsored, not affiliate link.
This is a nice upgrade to the Steam Deck official case. I can't speak for longevity but it sure is nice to have my charger and Bluetooth earbuds for it actually IN something instead of relying an an elastic band that will end up stretched out.

There's a ton of these out there and they're probably all the exact same. I was particularly worried since this is 100% a product swap to keep good reviews since some folks mention a battery, AND it came with a lithium ion sticker on the box.
But @ 15-19 USD + 30% off currently it was cheap enough to gamble on.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083GGSM4L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This looks like the JSAUX one, and in that case, it's excellent; it's better than the original case. I had inquired if anyone wanted to read a review of it (and another case I bought) but it went ignored, so I didn't mention anything else about it.

Momomo posted:

... And if anyone is wondering, I did try and load Daikatana on this thing, but it crashed when I started the game.

So it sounds like the Dreck/Proton is perfectly replicating the Daikatana experience! :haw:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, here's something I've been thinking of; with the deck, at least for now being a kind of performance 'platform' for PC, meaning it has certain specs and the vast majority of users haven't opened their decks up, what do you all think will happen with future releases?

As you know, usually in PC games, devs make the game maybe to match the specs of the current console generation, but overall, the better your PC, the better the performance. Do you think AAA devs might start tailoring new games for the deck, meaning that the quality would be more scalable than it would be otherwise? If millions of people have (insert standard Steam Deck specs here), maybe upcoming AAA titles (like the Bethesda space game, or even Elder Scrolls 6) will be designed to work well on Steam decks.

I might not being explaining myself properly, but maybe you know what I'm talking about?

Some of the others who posted about this are underestimating the Dreck. It's not as much of a niche product as similar options from, say, GPD and Aya were. It's a mainstream gaming handheld (in terms of reach and price) that's attached to the main PC gaming marketplace. Anyone distributing software on Steam is at least going to be aware of the Dreck, and will likely make an effort to make their game work well enough on it if it makes sense to do so (i.e. if it's controller-friendly as opposed to KBM only.)

This, in other words:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

In that sense I do think "can we make this run on Deck?" will be a regularly asked question as it is a fairly popular PC "model" and so if you can make the reach to run on Deck then you know your audience now includes an additional million potential users. Plus Valve is promoting it heavily and Deck verified is a prominent badge on Steam store pages.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Look no further, my friend!

Subjunctive posted:

Are there a lot of second-person titles out there?

Personally I prefer fourth-person games but to each their own. :shrug:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think specifically tailored and optimised settings for Deck probably aren't that realistic to expect in the majority of cases, but I think the Deck will continue to benefit from the wider industry need to keep supporting more modest hardware.

A percentage of PS5, Series X and 4090 users are always going to keep screaming about the need to keep forcing graphics forward, but I'm not sure that end of the market is actually much more relevant (or profitable) for the industry than targeting the small amount of Deck users is. Inevitably we're going to start seeing more Unreal Engine 5 games that maybe push beyond a decent level of performance on Deck (the current specs for the Silent Hill 2 remake look like an issue for the Deck, right?) but even then, isn't scalability back down in the other direction meant to be an important aspect of UE5?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The OP has some good information but I was wondering if there anything that's more of an introductory post anywhere explaining some of the basics? Because previously I don't really even use a computer in day to day life aside from at work. And for example I know there are third party docks but I know if I do a search to try to see which one are good I'm going to get a lot of useless listicles and ad oriented content that isn't necessarily trustworthy.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I took a microfibre cloth and ran it along the shaft of the stick where it scrapes against the top right of the case and it feels a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

On the beta channel I've been having issues with the Steam quick menu not coming up, and smaller problems with input on the PIN screen when coming out of sleep.

Stable is fine. Switching over permanently.